Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
You know how in old-timey cartoons sometimes they'll tuck a napkin into their collar when they're getting ready to eat and use it like a bib? Is this a thing people actually did once or is it just a silly thing cartoon characters do? If people really did it, why did they stop? Or do people do it all the time and I just never see them? These questions are gnawing at me GBS, please help me resolve them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Tuck my napkin in my shirt cuz I'm just mobbin like that

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
The narrative back then was people who tuck their napkins into their shirt are uncouth or lower class, so it's suggesting those traits about the character to the viewer.

Like the standard is you just put it in your lap to catch food that falls off your fork or something, right. I think if you were to wear it like a bib it more suggests you can't even keep it in your mouth, like a toddler.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
They had a really funny joke about that in the wire

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpSnQeskJNk

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Jelly posted:

The narrative back then was people who tuck their napkins into their shirt are uncouth or lower class, so it's suggesting those traits about the character to the viewer.

Like the standard is you just put it in your lap to catch food that falls off your fork or something, right. I think if you were to wear it like a bib it more suggests you can't even keep it in your mouth, like a toddler.

Highly informative and accurate Jelly post.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i make an elaborate show of tucking a napkin in my collar before eating my girlfriend's rear end

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Highly informative and accurate snergle video-link.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Hate when I forget the napkin before my eyes pop out of my head and I drool all over myself

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I tuck a napkin into my rear end when I poo poo

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hell Yeah posted:

i make an elaborate show of tucking a napkin in my collar before eating my girlfriend's rear end

lol

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

D U D E W I P E S

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Hell Yeah posted:

I hope you burp and say "my compliments to the chef" after you're done

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

my parents always wanted us to fold the cloth napkins over our laps when we ate out at "upscale" (olive garden) restaurants

i don't get it, i never spill food on my lap, what's the point. maybe it's happened once or twice in decades of being an adult, but not enough to need to keep my napkin there instead of just on the table. just sit like a normal person and try to keep the food mostly over the plate and table as it goes from your utensils into your mouth.

what's the deal, did anyone else get taught this weird behavior?

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Tuck the table cloth directly into your collar for a maximum protection food apron

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

yep, and then getting up and causing everyone's dishes and plates to get yanked off the table as you walk away can be your signature move

Jul 18, 2023
Marleen

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

71723 posted:

Marleen

:firstpost:

Jul 18, 2023

AKA Pseudonym posted:

You know how in old-timey,

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

how the poo come out then

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Konar posted:

Tuck the table cloth directly into your collar for a maximum protection food apron

Yes. YeS!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Bad Purchase posted:

my parents always wanted us to fold the cloth napkins over our laps when we ate out at "upscale" (olive garden) restaurants

i don't get it, i never spill food on my lap, what's the point. maybe it's happened once or twice in decades of being an adult, but not enough to need to keep my napkin there instead of just on the table. just sit like a normal person and try to keep the food mostly over the plate and table as it goes from your utensils into your mouth.

Yeah I was taught this too and it’s kind of ingrained enough where if I’m eating somewhere “nice” I’ll still do it even though half the time the end result is the napkin itself ending up on the floor.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I should tuck one more, I am spilling things at times down the very front of my shirt.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Yeah I was taught this too and it’s kind of ingrained enough where if I’m eating somewhere “nice” I’ll still do it even though half the time the end result is the napkin itself ending up on the floor.

Next thing you know they're telling you not to poo poo in your pants at the dinner table, and , well,

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
i eat at restaurants standing up

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

satanic splash-back posted:

Next thing you know they're telling you not to poo poo in your pants at the dinner table, and , well,

Look when someone tells me I can’t do something, I do it anyway even if I know it’s wrong. I just find it funny that’s all.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i prefer to dine recumbent

i do piss lying down

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

satanic splash-back posted:

It's only happened once or twice. Why they have to tell me not to like it's a common occurrence?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i tell them i'll be in the can and ask them to bring the food to me there. i can eat fully naked to avoid staining my clothes and flush the leftovers at the end. plus i like to get a lot of refills and it's nice to just let it flow after 3 or 4 diet cokes

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

R.L. Stine posted:

i eat at restaurants standing up

Makes sense what with gravity and all. Nothing wrong with giving the old esophagus a leg up.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Bad Purchase posted:

Yeah, my parents always insisted on this, both at restaurants and at home (but only for dinner(???)). I could never understand it because when I take a bite of food I'm already sort of leaning over my plate anyway. I guess it's a good idea for people who like to lean back in their chair when they eat but it's not like that was something we were allowed to do either. I ended up just using it as a normal napkin for my hands, although having it on my lap made it a lot more awkward since now it looked like I was wiping my hands on my legs. They actually weren't super strict about table manners, but the napkin-on-lap thing seemed important to them. I assume it's just an outdated boomer thing, like cursive.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

How come characters in new cartoons aren't as bouncy?!

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Table manners are about showing respect to everyone around and demonstrating that you understand what's expected of you in a specific setting

It doesn't actually matter to the act of consuming food which fork you eat your salad with, how you eat your soup, what you're wearing, or if your napkin is in your lap, but it's uncouth not to do it the proper way because eating a meal with other people isn't just an exercise in calorie intake, it's a social interaction

NOT DEFENDING THIS, JUST OFFERING AN EXPLANATION

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Devils Affricate posted:

Yeah, my parents always insisted on this, both at restaurants and at home (but only for dinner(???)). I could never understand it because when I take a bite of food I'm already sort of leaning over my plate anyway. I guess it's a good idea for people who like to lean back in their chair when they eat but it's not like that was something we were allowed to do either. I ended up just using it as a normal napkin for my hands, although having it on my lap made it a lot more awkward since now it looked like I was wiping my hands on my legs. They actually weren't super strict about table manners, but the napkin-on-lap thing seemed important to them. I assume it's just an outdated boomer thing, like cursive.

And why doesn't anybody want to wipe their disgusting slimy food stained mouths once in awhile

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i put little napkins on my freshly shined shoes as well, my little booties i call them

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I wrap the napkin over my hair like a turban so I don't choke on my hair while sucking nugs.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I do this with every napkin in every restaurant because I was raised proper.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Charles Bukowski posted:

I do this with every napkin in every restaurant because I was raised proper.

"Sanitary napkins"?

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, when I go dining at the Pussy Restaurant???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo