Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

almost1337
Jun 14, 2013

The male likpatons turn around the nucleus formed of female boobons and neutral bolsterons
Wearing it over your head is the purview of only the most sophisticated gourmands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Which fork is for oysters again????

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
I've done it before but it doesn't work too well unless the napkin is really large and kind of heavy so it stays in place.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Bad Purchase posted:

my parents always wanted us to fold the cloth napkins over our laps when we ate out at "upscale" (olive garden) restaurants

i don't get it, i never spill food on my lap, what's the point. maybe it's happened once or twice in decades of being an adult, but not enough to need to keep my napkin there instead of just on the table. just sit like a normal person and try to keep the food mostly over the plate and table as it goes from your utensils into your mouth.

what's the deal, did anyone else get taught this weird behavior?

It gets the napkin out of the way if nothing else

TheKub
May 11, 2006

almost1337 posted:

Wearing it over your head is the purview of only the most sophisticated gourmands.

Is that the dish that is so decedent that you have to cover your head to hide from God?

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

TheKub posted:

Is that the dish that is so decedent that you have to cover your head to hide from God?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ortolan_bunting#As_food

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

I put it in my lap because that’s how I was taught, but anything I drop hits my prominent boobs far above my lap, so I might as well just have some sort of scarf-pouch thing to catch the detritus as I Cookie Monster my way through a polite dinner

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Idk when I took the gang out to a steak house. We all (while very stoned) rocked the napkins on the collar because it does look hilarious

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I use the plastic bibs with the lobster printed on them. Classic never goes out of style.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jethro Bodine tucking in mode

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Should be a plastic cone funnel you wear like a collar, so all the food can slide towards your open mouth.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

My grandpa will tear a small hole in paper napkins and attach them to the top button of his shirt.

I am now realizing that this is truly insane behavior.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I've seen a surprising number of people poke a hole in a paper napkin and put it over their drink with the straw through the hole

In actual restaurants

Pre COVID

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

maybealabia posted:

I've seen a surprising number of people poke a hole in a paper napkin and put it over their drink with the straw through the hole

In actual restaurants

Pre COVID
Seems like something you'd do so you don't get roofied.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

it’s to keep the carbon in, that’s my carbon and i paid for all of it

phobo
Aug 7, 2008
You're supposed to take off your shirt and put it over the napkin so it doesn't get dirty.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Fartington Butts posted:

My grandpa will tear a small hole in paper napkins and attach them to the top button of his shirt.

Cool gramps story tell us more

Powerful Katrinka
Oct 11, 2021

an admin fat fingered a permaban and all i got was this lousy av

Fartington Butts posted:

That's genius

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

I'm sorry what?

quote:

The birds are caught with nets set during their autumn migratory flight to Africa. They are then kept in covered cages or boxes. The birds react to the dark by gorging themselves on grain, usually millet seed, until they double their bulk. The birds are then thrown into a container of Armagnac, which both drowns and marinates the birds.[13][14]

The bird is roasted for eight minutes and then plucked. The consumer then places the bird feet first into their mouth while holding onto the bird's head. The ortolan is then eaten whole, with or without the head, and the consumer spits out the larger bones.

:froggonk:

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Don't forget that after you tuck the napkin into your collar, you're supposed to hold your fork in one fist and your knife in the other and pound them on the table with the sharp ends straight up while drooling.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Bad Purchase posted:

my parents always wanted us to fold the cloth napkins over our laps when we ate out at "upscale" (olive garden) restaurants

i don't get it, i never spill food on my lap, what's the point. maybe it's happened once or twice in decades of being an adult, but not enough to need to keep my napkin there instead of just on the table. just sit like a normal person and try to keep the food mostly over the plate and table as it goes from your utensils into your mouth.

what's the deal, did anyone else get taught this weird behavior?

Food dropping in laps was a much bigger problem in old-timey days because all food was encased in gelatin or suspended in some kind of casserole and was thus very drippy and hard to control.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Don't be like me and tuck the table cloth into your belt and walk away. Phew......

Overdog
Jul 12, 2023

by CVG

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I would do that, but I worry about forgetting about it and wearing it home accidentally. Like how embarrassing that would be huh? Just like, maybe never eat at that place again to avoid the inevitable confrontation.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

one time the tablecloth was stuck to the bottom of my shoe when i left with my date, it was very embarrassing and long story short, i live in a new city now

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I remember seeing a goat eat a plate in a cartoon and drat they made that plate look tasty

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

*Tucks in the actual tablecloth

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Who's tuckin

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

you were all taught it was to catch food? my dad pushed for these sorts of manners too but didnt really explain why so i just figured it was to get that poo poo off the table and outta the way.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
What's a napkin?

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Tucker spotted

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

"Finger lickin' good"

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Most of us eat at our computer tables so we never really thought about this tbh

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

My first ever official date when I was 16 I went to an Italian place and got spaghetti and promptly whirled it on a fork, sending sauce on my white Oxford shirt.

I wish I had a napkin tucked in then.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

redshirt posted:

My first ever official date when I was 16 I went to an Italian place and got spaghetti and promptly whirled it on a fork, sending sauce on my white Oxford shirt.

I wish I had a napkin tucked in then.

Wow, sounds like you ended up with a red... shirt... :hehe:

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I tucked my napkin into my shirt last week at wings night. He got smiles of appreciation from my coworkers. Maybe 2 for 2?!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

did you remember in pre k where they'd bring out the parachute on rainy days? that's something we could do with the table cloth and the fine china I think

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

AKA Pseudonym posted:

You know how in old-timey cartoons sometimes they'll tuck a napkin into their collar when they're getting ready to eat and use it like a bib? Is this a thing people actually did once or is it just a silly thing cartoon characters do? If people really did it, why did they stop? Or do people do it all the time and I just never see them? These questions are gnawing at me GBS, please help me resolve them.
my dad does that with a dishtowel for dinners at home. I have to admit it’s functional, but I’m just glad he doesn’t do it in public. Just a goon tip

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I once wore a provided plastic novelty bib at a lobster joint but it was mostly to amuse and/or annoy my dining companion

I know how to eat a lobster without splashing

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

maybealabia posted:

"Sanitary napkins"?

They have that adhesive bit on them, they hold even better :v:

Listen, tucking napkins is like tucking dicks: it's nobody's business but your own, but please consider being discreet about it while in public.

Also, OP, some places will deliberately lean into the lowbrow "wear a bib" thing because they're both appealing to the shamelessly proudly low-class, and also they know that going mouth-first into a big rear end pot of etouffee is not a tidy affair and they're making it okay to be indelicate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
I would enjoy a dining veil so I can make weird mouth movements to enjoy my food without my dates seeing.