Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Does a certain song just rub you the wrong way? Maybe it's the lyrics, or their delivery. Maybe it's bad musicianship or boring, derivative harmonies. Maybe you just hate the band. Post away.

Blitzkrieg Bop by the Ramones - I kind of hate the Ramones in general. That's something that I'll always regret telling my Dad, because he exposed me to so much good music including some 70s/80s punk that I love, and I'll never forget the expression on his face when I told him "Dad, I can't stand the Ramones." But they have better songs, I even kind of enjoy I Wanna Be Sedated. Blitzkrieg Bop, call it an archetypal punk tune or whatever, but I don't dig it, and never have.

Nobody To Love by Sigma - This is drum & bass for white American girls with rich fathers. loving embarrassing. Uh-huh, honey.

Ra Ra Rasputin by Boney M - I can't really explain this one, other than the absurdity of writing a disco song about the creepy mystic friend of the Tsar's family. Disco in general is mostly a miss for me - I respect that it's foundational DJ and dance music and arguably we wouldn't have house music were it not popular, but this song in particular just makes me groan.

Harlem Shake by Baauer - This tune absolutely did not deserve to be the face of festival trap music for so long. People were making humiliating 'tribute' videos for loving months after this tune dropped. Trap has some goofy tunes that have gone viral for hilarious reasons (Cbat by Hudson Mohawke, like 12 years after the fact), but the meteoric rise of Harlem Shake was so loving stupid and hollow. It's not even Baauer's best song - that's clearly Yaow!

Manic Monday by the Bangles - Cringiest lyrics ever. Can't stand it.

Ballroom Blitz by Sweet - This is the Worst Song of All Time. The instrumentation is derivative garbage and the lyrics are loving stupid, and the way the singer delivers them with that early glam pageantry just makes me want to vomit. There are cringey songs that theatre kids do at karaoke, but this one is the worst. I have literally walked out of house parties because someone decided to play this song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I'M WALKING ON SUNSHINE WOAH AND DON'T IT FEEL GOOD

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
Wonderwall

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
Anything by oasis actually gently caress oasis

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Mister Speaker posted:

Cringiest lyrics ever? In a world where Imagine, Figured You Out and The News exist? You're singling out a song that is, at worst, mediocre?

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

Mister Speaker posted:

Nobody To Love by Sigma - This is drum & bass for white American girls with rich fathers. loving embarrassing. Uh-huh, honey.

This wasn't even really a full song to begin with, it was a Kanye backing track which then got awkwardly reverse-engineered into its own thing (apparently by some randos who had nothing to do with it initially?), which is why it has that now familiar Tiktok hit energy of someone audibly struggling to build a 20 second snippet into a full-length track.

edit: I can't stand 'Hall of Fame' by The Script because it's the most soulless insipid Live Laugh Love level cynical inspirational bullshit as well as of course fully sucking rear end as an actual song ('shibba shibba hall of fame!!').

Snackula has a new favorite as of 11:21 on Jul 18, 2023

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
That God-awful "Birthday" song from The Beatles.

I didn't even know it was by The Beatles until a year or so ago, because I've only ever heard it in the background of, like, a radio or TV show when they were listing celebrity birthdays or something.

It's just so...banal; and sounds like it was shat out by no-name studio musicians so that the aforementioned radio and TV stations wouldn't have to pay money to use "Happy Birthday."

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Not so much a specific song as a type of singing. NasaI, whiny voices. EspeciaIIy the kind used in most country music

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I think I have a tendency to hate songs harder when I like the artists who made them. "Self Esteem" by The Offspring and "Rock the Boat" by Aaliyah are probably the ur-examples. That said, I hate plenty of other songs too, such as...

Empire State of Mind by Jay-Z ft. Alicia Keys - Not only is it powerfully un-catchy, the lyrics also seem like they were written for the most stereotypical-yet-R-rated New York City tourism commercial ever.

All I Want for Christmas is You by Mariah Carey - Honestly, I'm not sure I would hate it as much if it weren't so overplayed every single god drat year. It's part of the Christmas music zeitgeist until the heat death of the universe, despite being somehow bouncy & flat at the same time and a waste of Mariah Carey's vocal talents.

Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond - see above, but replace "Christmas" with "karaoke" and "Mariah Carey" with "Neil Diamond". I use it as a bathroom break when I hear it at a bar, karaoke or otherwise. (edit: how the hell did I just forget to finish my sentence? :psyduck: )

Jolene by Dolly Parton - I get it, Jolene is pretty, now shut the gently caress up. Overplayed with a boring melody is a pretty lovely combo.

Light My Candle by...I don't know, random Rent people - While I was watching Rent on Broadway, this song was the point in the musical that I started becoming fascinated by how progressively awful the songs were getting. It started making me uncomfortable. I wish I could articulate why I hate it so much like I did with the other songs, but it's impossible; it's just purely impossible to like somehow.

Drunk in Love by Beyonce - It's obviously SUPPOSED to be sexy, but the lyrics are gross & weirdly juvenile. Like the other songs I hate, the melody doesn't save it, and the nonsensical chorus makes her sound like she's faking the world's loudest autotuned orgasm.

Mister Speaker posted:

This is one of those songs that I know I hate but don't remember that I hate because (thank goodness) I don't hear it enough.

Thank you for providing a place to vent. :cheers:

YeahTubaMike has a new favorite as of 21:43 on Jul 18, 2023

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

YeahTubaMike posted:

Sweet Caroline by Neil Diamond - see above, but replace "Christmas" with "karaoke" and "Mariah Carey" with "Neil Diamond". I use it

Oh drat, this is a big one. I have a particularly seething relationship with it because this alcoholic shithead bartender I used to work with loved it and would play it all the time. Any time the bar ever had live music (rare, because they wouldn't pay artists and so the only people who'd play there are alcoholic regulars who 'formed a cover band' for one-off shows), he would demand that they play Sweet Caroline, several times a night. I saw him unplug a band's PA because they refused to play it a fourth time.

gently caress that song.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Mister Speaker posted:

Oh drat, this is a big one. I have a particularly seething relationship with it because this alcoholic shithead bartender I used to work with loved it and would play it all the time. Any time the bar ever had live music (rare, because they wouldn't pay artists and so the only people who'd play there are alcoholic regulars who 'formed a cover band' for one-off shows), he would demand that they play Sweet Caroline, several times a night. I saw him unplug a band's PA because they refused to play it a fourth time.

gently caress that song.

Aaaaaaaaahhhh that sounds like a god drat nightmare :gonk: (also, thanks for helping me realize that my sentence wasn't finished, lol)

phinw
Jul 18, 2023

Badactura posted:

Anything by oasis actually gently caress oasis

Oasis would be good if their songs didn’t sound the same. once you’ve heard wonderwall you’ve heard them all

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!
I don't know who wrote it, I don't know who sings the various versions of it, but if I hear that stupid chorus "They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" one more time I am going to grind my face into the nearest parking lot.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Fearless_Decoy posted:

I don't know who wrote it, I don't know who sings the various versions of it, but if I hear that stupid chorus "They paved paradise and put up a parking lot" one more time I am going to grind my face into the nearest parking lot.

"Big Yellow Taxi" was already a lovely song, but Counting Crows & Vanessa Carlton defied all laws of space & time by making a version that was even worse. What a travesty.

That reminds me that I also hate "Fast Car" by Tracy Chapman. I used to hear both of those songs on the radio all the drat time during my high school "job" organizing student files.

edit: Also, speaking of covers, Jenny Owen Youngs's version of "Hot in Herre" is an abomination.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
That pop song from a few years ago about wanting to swing from a chandelier. It sounds like they taught a whale to sing. It's probably got some merit, maybe some music theory stuff going on, maybe the performer's vocal talent is really good, but all I hear is ooOOOOoaahhhohohhhhoho

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

YeahTubaMike posted:

"Big Yellow Taxi" was already a lovely song, but Counting Crows & Vanessa Carlton defied all laws of space & time by making a version that was even worse. What a travesty.
And a prime example of "no homo-ing" a song by making it worse. Original line is "Late last night I heard the screen door slam and a big yellow taxi took away my old man" but Adam Duritz couldn't possibly sing that so they changed it to "Listen, late last night, I heard the screen door sway and a big yellow taxi took my girl away". How do you hear a door sway, Adam? :mad:

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

credburn posted:

That pop song from a few years ago about wanting to swing from a chandelier. It sounds like they taught a whale to sing. It's probably got some merit, maybe some music theory stuff going on, maybe the performer's vocal talent is really good, but all I hear is ooOOOOoaahhhohohhhhoho

Nah you're right, it sucks

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

DrBouvenstein posted:

That God-awful "Birthday" song from The Beatles.

I didn't even know it was by The Beatles until a year or so ago, because I've only ever heard it in the background of, like, a radio or TV show when they were listing celebrity birthdays or something.

It's just so...banal; and sounds like it was shat out by no-name studio musicians so that the aforementioned radio and TV stations wouldn't have to pay money to use "Happy Birthday."

On that note:

Rocky Racoon

Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

Maxwell's Silver Hammer

I can't stand these songs. If they weren't on albums made by the Beatles, nobody would ever listen to them (with a possible exception of Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da which sounds like a cheap summer song fit for a fair). McCartney had some horrible brain worms which manifested in these songs.

edit:
also want to add I Dig Rock and Roll Music by Peter, Paul & Mary. It's such a stupidly short-sighted critique of rock music by a band who mostly just did covers of song by other artists, that I can't stand to listen to it.

Captain Jesus has a new favorite as of 06:41 on Jul 19, 2023

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

I'm a special kind of asshole!
I can never decide if I like the the Syd Barrett Pink Floyd albums, or hate them. With the exception of Interstellar Overdrive (and specifically the stereo version with all the crazy panning) and Astronomy Domine, the music is... well, honestly I'm not sure how to describe that from a modern perspective. 95% of the time it grates on me, then every once in a blue moon I'm like, "okay, this is alright, Syd was a musical force" before returning to "oh God, please shut this off."

That oddly doesn't extend to the two solo albums he had, as I somehow like those despite being the ramblings of a madman.

Vile_Nihlist666 has a new favorite as of 21:05 on Jul 19, 2023

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Of Monsters and Men - Little Talks (and every other song like it from 2008-2015). The blandest music for the most uninteresting post-college white people.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Overplayed
My Heart Will Go On, Celine Dion. Couldn't escape that loving song in 1997.
Do It Again, Steely Dan. Not a great song to begin with, but for some reason "classic rock" stations love to play it all the time.
Start Me Up, Rolling Stones. See Do It Again.
Sweet Caroline, Neil Diamond. Used to like this song as a kid but it's an obnoxious karaoke song that has far outlasted its welcome.

gently caress You
Seasons in the Sun, who-the-gently caress-cares.
Woo Hoo, The 5.6.7.8's. A five year old could write a better song.
Rumour Has It, Adele (?). Love to hear "Rumor has it" repeated three thousand times!
Christmas Shoes, New Song
You Light Up My Life, Debby Boone. :barf:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 23:35 on Jul 19, 2023

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
That one by mumford and sons. You know, the twangy twang twang one where the vocalist doesn't know what to do with the less loud bits.

Tree Bucket has a new favorite as of 23:36 on Jul 19, 2023

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Bad to the Bone by George Thorogood. Endlessly replayed on classic rock stations for decades and it's like the anthem to some tryhard leather jacket wearing rear end in a top hat in a dive bar. The stuttering "b-b-b-b-b-bad" in the chorus is annoying. May or may not be plagiarized, supposedly he tried to give the song to Muddy Waters and got rejected outright because the song is trash.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The stuttering "b-b-b-b-b-bad" in the chorus is annoying.

This reminds me, I can't loving stand Cherry Bomb by the Runaways.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Bad to the Bone by George Thorogood. Endlessly replayed on classic rock stations for decades and it's like the anthem to some tryhard leather jacket wearing rear end in a top hat in a dive bar. The stuttering "b-b-b-b-b-bad" in the chorus is annoying. May or may not be plagiarized, supposedly he tried to give the song to Muddy Waters and got rejected outright because the song is trash.

https://youtu.be/TFwXbp9bLlY

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I could go on all day. I can't tell if I'm just extra curmudgeonly or I'm just exposed to bad music on a more regular basis than others. Probably both.

From My Heart to Yours by Laura Izibor - It's just so...wail-y. FROM my HEART to YOOOOOOUURSooooohhh. Ugh. And the non-waily parts are just plain meh.

I Try by Macy Gray - She sounds like eight year old Marge Simpson, the lyrics are Diane Warren level sappy, and the song isn't catchy enough to make up for either.

Ordinary Day by Vanessa Carlton - A very, VERY cheap, whiny imitation of Dolores O'Riordan (may she rest in peace), and I'm already not a big fan of the Cranberries anyway (Linger and Zombie belong on this list).

Stacy's Mom by Fountains of Wayne - LOL MILFs, amirite? No. Stacy's Mom is complete garbage, and it would be boring if it weren't so unfunny. It made it worse, at least for me, that it came out in the American Pie era and MILFs were a whole big thing at the time even though the song itself was ostensibly not inspired by the movie.

Happy by Pharrell - Flat and saccharine, that's really all there is to it.

Tiggum posted:

And a prime example of "no homo-ing" a song by making it worse. Original line is "Late last night I heard the screen door slam and a big yellow taxi took away my old man" but Adam Duritz couldn't possibly sing that so they changed it to "Listen, late last night, I heard the screen door sway and a big yellow taxi took my girl away". How do you hear a door sway, Adam? :mad:

In all fairness, maybe it's creaky? Not that I want to defend this song in any way.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Overplayed
My Heart Will Go On, Celine Dion. Couldn't escape that loving song in 1997.

:hmmyes: It reminds me of another sappy song that's definitely overplayed but not quite on the "gently caress you" level: "Candle in the Wind" by Elton John.

quote:

gently caress You
Rumour Has It, Adele (?). Love to hear "Rumor has it" repeated three thousand times!

Aaaaaaaaahhhh gently caress this song. There aren't enough "gently caress you"s in the world for this horrible song. Also, it sounds like an even more annoying version of "Beggin'" by Madcon.

Speaking of awful songs that sound like/sample other songs, "Memories" by Maroon 5 (along with most other songs by Maroon 5) is a war crime.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
Beggin' by Måneskin. I hate the singer's voice, I hate the whinyness of the song, and I hate how for a several month period it was constantly on the radio
Also discovered it's a cover and I refuse to believe there's a good version of this song

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Yeah, but my two year old laughs when I sing "Makin', makin' doo dooooo" over it.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Roxanne by the Police, sure, I'd like to hear Sting say "turn on the red light" fifty thousand loving times.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I suppose the most formative song that I hated would have to be Wannabe by the Spice Girls. It was the first song I remember hearing and thinking: 'hang on... songs can... be bad?' and from then on, I started to realize that music could be bad.

So... thanks, Spice Girls?

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

I can never decide if I like the the Syd Barrett Pink Floyd albums, or hate them. With the exception of Interstellar Overdrive (and specifically the stereo version with all the crazy panning) and Astronomy Domine, the music is... well, honestly I'm not sure how to describe that from a modern perspective. 95% of the time it grates on me, then every once in a blue moon I'm like, "okay, this is alright, Syd was a musical force" before returning to "oh God, please shut this off."

That oddly doesn't extend to the two solo albums he had, as I somehow like those despite being the ramblings of a madman.

I see what you mean but I personally think that with Piper at the Gates of Dawn Barrett managed to hit the spot where the fairy tale quirkiness of some of the the songs works within the concept of the album and is more endearing than grating.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Fairytale of New York by The Pogues & Kirsty MacColl. It's played 1000 times a day every year at christmas, and apparently nobody has noticed that Shane MacGowan is a loving terrible singer who sounds like a hobo arguing with himself in an alley.

Mister Speaker posted:

Blitzkrieg Bop by the Ramones

Every Ramones song sounds exactly the same.

Psychotic Puggle
May 21, 2012

When I'm dead, just throw me in the trash!
I have heard "Bad Day" by Daniel Powter hundreds of times.

I have heard "Bad Day" by Daniel Powter WILLINGLY zero times.

gently caress that song.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Sweevo posted:

Fairytale of New York by The Pogues & Kirsty MacColl. It's played 1000 times a day every year at christmas, and apparently nobody has noticed that Shane MacGowan is a loving terrible singer who sounds like a hobo arguing with himself in an alley.

Obviously the vocal direction being justified by the lyrical content doesn't mean you actually have to like it, but the song is literally about hobos arguing

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Psychotic Puggle posted:

I have heard "Bad Day" by Daniel Powter hundreds of times.

I have heard "Bad Day" by Daniel Powter WILLINGLY zero times.

gently caress that song.

On that same annoyingly twee note: I'm Yours by Jason Mraz.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Speaking of awful songs that sound like/sample other songs, "Memories" by Maroon 5 (along with most other songs by Maroon 5) is a war crime.

I've been made aware of a few of Maroon 5's more recent hits thanks to Todd in the Shadows' "worst hit song of the year" retrospectives. Every single Maroon 5 song has that same whiny autotune effect to Adam Levine's vocals. I take an almost instant dislike to songs that use autotune, which is why I'm one of the few people who hates Believe by Cher.

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
Jesus Take The Wheel. I hate that song all out of proportion to how bad it is, musically or message-wise. For some reason, I just want to strangle everyone involved.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

I've been made aware of a few of Maroon 5's more recent hits thanks to Todd in the Shadows' "worst hit song of the year" retrospectives. Every single Maroon 5 song has that same whiny autotune effect to Adam Levine's vocals. I take an almost instant dislike to songs that use autotune, which is why I'm one of the few people who hates Believe by Cher.

People like the Cher song?? It’s not all some elaborate in-joke?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Irreplaceable by Beyonce - The fact that she took Jay-Z back after he allegedly cheated on her makes it hit differently. Also, it's annoying.

On that same annoyingly twee note: I'm Yours by Jason Mraz.

I'm not sure if it counts as twee, but this comment reminded me of "We Are Young" by Fun, another song that I hate -- at least outside of the context of the American Dad scene in which Stan dresses up as a stereotypical 1950s teenager & fails to seduce information for the CIA out of a man. Only a show as great as American Dad could make that song tolerable.

quote:

I take an almost instant dislike to songs that use autotune, which is why I'm one of the few people who hates Believe by Cher.

Tree Bucket posted:

People like the Cher song?? It’s not all some elaborate in-joke?

Apparently! Not like I'd know.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I hate Shut Up and Dance by Walk the Moon. It's a great song with one of the most rippin prechorus/choruses in the last decade but the song leads with it. If there were any justice in the world, it would be like a Phil Collins song and have two intensifying verses before exploding into that chorus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I cannot stand "Bitter sweet symphony". I've got others, I'll have to think of them.