Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blog Free or Die
Apr 30, 2005

FOR THE MOTHERLAND
When I worked retail, they had like 40 or 50 songs on the playlist. Maybe more, but it sure didn't seem like it. Some I liked, some I came around to, some were endurable (A Horse With No Name).

The one I really couldn't stand though was Joni Mitchell's River. Stocking shelves for minimum wage while someone sings about a river they could skate away on...

Also I think it was an even more downtempo cover, every time I heard the opening notes my eyes would begin to roll into my skull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Classic rock radio stations with their short playlists have made me despise several songs. I could go the rest of my life without Bohemian Rhapsody, We Are the Champions, We Will Rock You, Another One Bites the Dust, Don't Stop Believin', Sweet Caroline, Welcome to the Jungle, Rhiannon and anything by the Eagles. I like a lot of Queen songs, but am sick of their greatest hits.

If you want to get me close to actual acts of violence, play Maren Morris' The Middle.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

YeahTubaMike posted:

Happy by Pharrell - Flat and saccharine, that's really all there is to it.
I hate this song, too. Waaaaay over-exposed to me as well as what you said. I can also go the rest of my life never hearing gently caress You by CeeLo Green. I don't hate it, just strongly dislike it due to hearing too much.

I do hate Hotel California. I never want to hear whiny bullshit about steely knives ever again. I heard this song at least twice a day when I worked for Amazon out of a Sprouts. Extreme over-exposure.

I really hate Sk8er Boi by Avril Lasagne. Incredibly vapid. Mocking a single mother because she didn't go out with some punk-rear end skateboarder in high school? Go to Hell, Lavigne.

On the flipside, I very much enjoy Don'tcha by Pussycat Dolls, it's just Busta Rhymes' parts are super lovely and phoned in. And he only seems to know of Chanel with regards to women's perfumes.

To Binge, by the Gorillaz. I love this song, it's just that the female vocalist has a bunch of spit in her mouth and it's so, so gross to have to hear a bunch of smacking while she sings.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

That Old Ganon posted:

I really hate Sk8er Boi by Avril Lasagne. Incredibly vapid. Mocking a single mother because she didn't go out with some punk-rear end skateboarder in high school? Go to Hell, Lavigne.
I like this song because of how petty and pathetic it is. Kind of the same as Jessie's Girl. :haw:

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

That Old Ganon posted:

I do hate Hotel California. I never want to hear whiny bullshit about steely knives ever again. I heard this song at least twice a day when I worked for Amazon out of a Sprouts. Extreme over-exposure.

One of the hard and fast rules in my house growing up is you do not play The Eagles, you especially do not play Hotel California

I don't know why, it was the only band my Dad hated like I could play The Beatles, Mozart, Tupac, or Gregorian Chant with synth played over the top, but play that one band, and especially that one song, and your sound system was confiscated for a couple weeks.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Classic rock radio stations with their short playlists have made me despise several songs. I could go the rest of my life without Bohemian Rhapsody, We Are the Champions, We Will Rock You, Another One Bites the Dust, Don't Stop Believin', Sweet Caroline, Welcome to the Jungle, Rhiannon and anything by the Eagles. I like a lot of Queen songs, but am sick of their greatest hits.

If you want to get me close to actual acts of violence, play Maren Morris' The Middle.

Superstition by Stevie Wonder, Separate Ways by Foreigner, Do It Again by Steely Dan, Hurts So Good by Mellencamp, Hit Me with Your Best Shot by Pat Benatar ... there are a bunch of classic rock station staples I could never hear again and be satisfied. The shame is that a few of these, like Superstition and Bohemian Rhapsody, are great and original songs that have been ruined by repetition.

e: Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now by Starship is almost too generic to be hated, like they used an algorithm to come up with the blandest possible late '80s power ballad.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 13:43 on Jul 21, 2023

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I could go the rest of my life without Bohemian Rhapsody

I hate "Bohemian Rhapsody" so loving much. Yes, it's unique, but its disjointedness isn't clever or fun to listen to imho, unlike the humble opinions of everyone else I seem to encounter except you. Popular Queen songs annoy me to the point that I haven't really checked the band out on my own, but I do enjoy "Don't Stop Me Now" -- not a song I'd go out of my way to listen to, but I like it when I hear it.

That Old Ganon posted:

I can also go the rest of my life never hearing gently caress You by CeeLo Green. I don't hate it, just strongly dislike it due to hearing too much.

It's okay, I hate "gently caress You" enough for the both of us. And people LOVED it. Maybe I'm just too jaded to find swearing edgy & funny anymore -- even with a casual pop tune behind it! -- and it didn't help that it was incredibly overplayed.

quote:

"Sk8er Boi" made me think I hated Avril Lavigne altogether, which pisses me off. I like her (original) version of "Breakaway", and "What the Hell", and "Girlfriend" (original and remix).

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Superstition by Stevie Wonder

Holy poo poo, your post only just now reminded me of literally my least favorite song of all time -- Stevie Wonder's "Saturn". It sounds like a song written & produced by a 12 year old that was high on LSD for the entire time. While I'm not a fan of Stevie Wonder in general, I didn't realize he was capable of making something THAT bad. It's so loving infantile, it's borderline embarrassing.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you about "Superstition", but I really wholeheartedly despise "Saturn".

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Get Lucky by Daft Punk is a decent song that's been run into the ground by repetition. At my work we have these stations where people can try out various headphones connected to an iPod with various hits on it. That song is the one that people play the most, and often I just hear it faintly coming out of the headphones from across the room. gently caress that song.

Semi-Protato
Sep 11, 2001

Tree Bucket posted:

That one by mumford and sons. You know, the twangy twang twang one where the vocalist doesn't know what to do with the less loud bits.

Early 2010s music has a lot to answer for. Twangy guitar or banjo for no goddamn reason, the band chanting "hey" throughout the song, the song being super upbeat and happy but the lyrics being about ultra depressing poo poo like your spouse dying of Alzheimer's or your house burning down. Mumford and sons were like the ultimate distillation of that formula.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Anything by No Doubt, Sublime, or Bob Dylan. Yeah, Bob has a lot to say, but I hate his singing.

Specific Songs:
-Stairway to Heaven: A good song that I've heard too many times, and have no desire to ever hear again
-California Love: I was indifferent when I first heard it, but it got played waaaaaaaaaaay too much during my childhood
-I Shot the Sheriff: I am not a reggae person, but I can appreciate songs like Redemption Song. This one just sucks.
-I Love It: Just no
-Paper Planes: Played out and wasn't that great to begin with

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
i gotta feeling, black eyed peas

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

BattyKiara posted:

Not so much a specific song as a type of singing. NasaI, whiny voices. EspeciaIIy the kind used in most country music

Stevie Wonder falls into that category for me. I know, he's a musical genius and probably a really awesome person, but I just can't. His I Just Called To Say I Love You got played into the ground around me when I was younger; ditto Chris De Burgh's sappy Lady in Red.

Someone else mentioned Seasons in the Sun -- that song is my nemesis. Just a load of lachrymose drivel.

I'm a huge fan of all things Drag Race (queens not cars) but I've really come to despise all the songs about being the baddest bitch in the club used in lipsynchs. I realize this is just one straight woman's opinion and it's not likely to change, but I'll still sit there quietly seething till it's over.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Red Red Wine. It's terrible and immediately conjures an image of some wasted boomer putting it on the jukebox in the grossest Floridian bar and thinking he's super sexy for it. Also, it was my friend's text tone when we were in high school and I'd stay at his place and people would start texting him at like 9am and would have to listen to it on loop until I fell back asleep.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
More songs I have come to hate
-Piano Man: This is a fantastic song, but I've heard it so much that I can't stand it. There are so many better Billy Joel songs that should be played.
-Running Up That Hill: gently caress YOU, Stranger Things. I didn't think you could make me hate a Kate Bush song, but you found a way by getting it played over and over on the loving radio.
-Super Freaky Girl: It's a bad song built around a better one, like how Overdrawn at the Memory Bank is a bad mini-series built around a superior movie

Another artist: Shawn Mendes-His songs are good and he's very talented, but I swear his voice sounds like it's on the verge of breaking whenever I hear it. It's like rusty nails on a chalkboard.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
I can't stand Africa by Toto. It's one of those songs like Sweet Caroline that people go nuts over.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Not really much of an Elvis fan, but Viva Las Vegas is one I really dislike. It's a dumb song but I also don't see what's special about the Strip and losing your shirt because you were dumb enough to think you were going to be a high roller in Vegas.

By the late '60s, Elvis had lost his edge (the Beatles had drunk his milkshake) and resorted to a series of sappy, ball-less ballads like Don't Cry Daddy and In the Ghetto. The latter is at least trying to raise consciousness, though it neither resolves anything nor calls anyone to action. "Look: this kid was hungry and felt hopeless so he stole a car and ended up dead! Isn't that sad?" It's struggle tourism along the lines of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sDuKDoDYf4

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 22:37 on Jul 21, 2023

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
Reading y'all's posts reminded me of another one - You're Beautiful by James Blunt
Way too repetitive, whiny, and comes off weirdly insincere - like he's just saying he loves you because he's supposed to

Pomme de Terror has a new favorite as of 22:39 on Jul 21, 2023

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Yow BYOOder wull
Yow BYOOder wull
Yow BYOOder wull, ISS droo

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Planet X posted:

I cannot stand "Bitter sweet symphony". I've got others, I'll have to think of them.

An ex of mine called that song a five-minute-long coda, which I always thought was a pretty apt description.

It’s nice to see that so many other people share my feelings about songs that are otherwise considered classics (looking at you, “Stairway” and “Bohemian Rhapsody”). Honestly I could do without ever hearing Zeppelin again, with the possible exclusion of “When the Levee Breaks”. That one still slaps.

Anything by Concrete Blonde makes me want to ram my head into a wall.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

discoukulele posted:

I can't stand Africa by Toto. It's one of those songs like Sweet Caroline that people go nuts over.

I've always been more bemused at this than anything, it just seems like such a weird rear end song for people to get so attached to.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I think I've only heard Radioactive by Imagine Dragons. It does not inspire confidence on the rest of their discography.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Hair bands

Number one I hate is probably Welcome to the Jungle by guns and roses

It gets so much love

Blech

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Maigius posted:

I think I've only heard Radioactive by Imagine Dragons. It does not inspire confidence on the rest of their discography.

It is by far the best song of theirs I've heard, that is not a compliment to the song.

YeahTubaMike posted:

I hate "Bohemian Rhapsody" so loving much. Yes, it's unique, but its disjointedness isn't clever or fun to listen to imho, unlike the humble opinions of everyone else I seem to encounter except you. Popular Queen songs annoy me to the point that I haven't really checked the band out on my own, but I do enjoy "Don't Stop Me Now" -- not a song I'd go out of my way to listen to, but I like it when I hear it.

"Sk8er Boi" made me think I hated Avril Lavigne altogether, which pisses me off. I like her (original) version of "Breakaway", and "What the Hell", and "Girlfriend" (original and remix).

Queen is awesome, and so is their music, but it's so overplayed it's like ear poison to me now.

If you wanna hate Avril Lavigne again: https://youtu.be/LiaYDPRedWQ

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I also can't stand Guns 'N Roses, especially Welcome to the Jungle. That sort of thing was very overplayed at the arcade I used to work at, and it's like... I get it, man, I understand why we have to have this playlist on most of the time, it's a loving arcade and it just fits in this uninspired retro way, but by the end of my tenure there we were finally getting management to let us play some more out there poo poo. I think it was Welcome to the Jungle coming on a third time in one night that really got me to go "OK, something needs to change."

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

It’s nice to see that so many other people share my feelings about songs that are otherwise considered classics (looking at you, “Stairway” and “Bohemian Rhapsody”). Honestly I could do without ever hearing Zeppelin again, with the possible exclusion of “When the Levee Breaks”. That one still slaps.

I totally get this, for me early Zeppelin (I-IV) is way overplayed to the point of saturation (not to mention a great deal of it is blatantly stolen blues tunes), and late Zeppelin (when they started to get all proggy and weird with Achilles Last Stand and Misty Mountain Hop and poo poo) is underrated and living in the shadow of these schlocky double-time blues tunes like Rock & Roll.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Mister Speaker posted:

Get Lucky by Daft Punk is a decent song that's been run into the ground by repetition. At my work we have these stations where people can try out various headphones connected to an iPod with various hits on it. That song is the one that people play the most, and often I just hear it faintly coming out of the headphones from across the room. gently caress that song.
Agreed.

Fans of this song gave me poo poo for liking Lose Yourself to Dance more. :colbert:

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

YeahTubaMike posted:

Queen's first two albums are quite different than the rest of their output.

Their debut feels a little more lyrically real than other albums. It's pretty polished because Queen was always polished, but in a different way. It drew Led Zeppelin comparisons when it was released. Queen II is my favorite of theirs. It's prog-adjacent and I wouldn't be shocked if they were influenced by Selling England By the Pound, except this is heavier.

There are good songs on all of their albums - except The Miracle - but it depends on your appetite for meaningless, overpolished quirkiness.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

Anyone who's played Burnout Paradise has a soft spot for Girlfriend.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Tiggum posted:

I like [Sk8er Boi] because of how petty and pathetic it is.
Actually, I'm going to say even more about this terrible song that I love.

The best thing about is that she's actually not "mocking a single mother because she didn't go out with some punk-rear end skateboarder in high school". That section of the song starts "Five years from now". She's imagining it. Avril's character has just started dating this boy who would clearly prefer to be dating another girl, and so she imagines that that girl will have a terrible future in which she is envious of Avril, rather than the other way around. Also, in this hypothetical future, her boyfriend is still not over the girl who wouldn't go out with him in highschool. :haw:

Pomme de Terror posted:

Reading y'all's posts reminded me of another one - You're Beautiful by James Blunt
Way too repetitive, whiny, and comes off weirdly insincere - like he's just saying he loves you because he's supposed to
Are you thinking of the right song here? Because in You're Beautiful he is explicitly not supposed to say he loves this woman; she's a stranger he thinks smiled at him when he saw her with her boyfriend.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Maigius posted:

At one point I thought this too, but then it turned out that several other random lovely songs I'd heard out and about were also by Imagine Dragons.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

We Got Us A Bread posted:

Anyone who's played Burnout Paradise has a soft spot for Girlfriend.

I've been playing that game for like fifteen years but never once with the EA Trax enabled. You know you could download your own mp3s and play it, DJ Atomica sharing a little bit of wisdom for the burners, don't get burned out, speed on boys, DJ Atomica out, zoom zoom

Feb 28, 2007

1️⃣
Just another number.
Some songs mentioned I've nodded at and agreed "yeah, that song sucks". But this:

Pomme de Terror posted:

is the only only one which made me reflexively snarl in pain at being reminded of it.

A few of Paul McCartney's have already been mentioned, but Wonderful Christmastime is the one I would erase from history. A horrible, horrible choice of synthesizer voice, bland repetitive drumming, all the singing sounding slightly off-key because of the "squelch" of the synthesizer ... and "jingle bells" rattling relentlessly away throughout the entire thing.

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

credburn posted:

I've been playing that game for like fifteen years but never once with the EA Trax enabled. You know you could download your own mp3s and play it, DJ Atomica sharing a little bit of wisdom for the burners, don't get burned out, speed on boys, DJ Atomica out, zoom zoom

My brother went in and disabled every track on the tracklist except Paradise City and it ruled so we just left it like that.

(Paradise's soundtrack is kind of the rare EA TRAX miss because it's still doing the whole Burnout emo thing which by 2008 just sounded dated and slightly embarrassing)

Anyway Charlie Puth & Meghan Trainor's 'Marvin Gaye' is straight up offensive as it's the two least sexy and soulful people in pop music singing about Marvin Gaye and getting it on, where 'it' presumably refers to scrapbooking or baking those cupcake lollipop things. I don't hate an overly sugary nerdy pop song at all but this is just the worst fit imaginable.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Most of the overplayed Christmas songs I don't mind too much, even Wonderful Christmastime (I do get it, though). Two that do annoy the piss out of me are Christmas Shoes as I've already said (who likes that loving depressing song?) and Do They Know It's Christmas? and its condescending lyrics:

quote:

Well tonight thank God it's them
Instead of you

Yes, what a cheery Christmas thought: "The doom and gloom is happening to those people, so Merry Christmas to us privileged white folks!". gently caress you.

Plus, Do They Know It's Christmas? is as old as I am, I think, and it still gets regular rotation among those 24/7 all Christmas stations. I truly don't get why they even bother playing that song anymore.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 15:24 on Jul 22, 2023

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

1 posted:

Some songs mentioned I've nodded at and agreed "yeah, that song sucks". But this:

is the only only one which made me reflexively snarl in pain at being reminded of it.

A few of Paul McCartney's have already been mentioned, but Wonderful Christmastime is the one I would erase from history. A horrible, horrible choice of synthesizer voice, bland repetitive drumming, all the singing sounding slightly off-key because of the "squelch" of the synthesizer ... and "jingle bells" rattling relentlessly away throughout the entire thing.

You think that is bad? (It is terribIe) PauI has way worse songs to answer for, sureIy this song is pure punishment? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVfaf43W9cM

Feb 28, 2007

1️⃣
Just another number.

BattyKiara posted:

You think that is bad? (It is terribIe) PauI has way worse songs to answer for, sureIy this song is pure punishment? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVfaf43W9cM

I totally get the hate for The Frog Song. I understand that it's awful, and really have very little to say in its defence, but I actually - in a way - enjoy its sheer over-the-top, bombastic, pretentious ridiculousness and the effort put into its production. It's a polished turd while Wonderful Christmastime is just a regular turd.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

prog rock died for a reason

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
There are plenty of songs I can’t stand, but there’s one whose stink far surpasses the rest: it’s not something anyone who didn’t play Warcraft III or WoW would even know about, but taken all together it is easily the worst piece of poo poo “song” I’ve ever heard. I’d just as soon listen to someone being violently ill for four minutes.

Don’t listen to this, you’ll regret it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SEClowGhas

Bimmi has a new favorite as of 23:46 on Jul 22, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

A song that I think has become as obnoxiously overplayed as Hotel California: Eye of the Tiger. It's so tired.

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!

Tiggum posted:

Are you thinking of the right song here? Because in You're Beautiful he is explicitly not supposed to say he loves this woman; she's a stranger he thinks smiled at him when he saw her with her boyfriend.

Definitely thinking of the right song but may have forgotten elements of it since I flip the radio to a different channel the second I hear the dude's voice. Rest of my point stands about the whine and repetition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

Bimmi posted:

There are plenty of songs I can’t stand, but there’s one whose stink far surpasses the rest: it’s not something anyone who didn’t play Warcraft III or WoW would even know about, but taken all together it is easily the worst piece of poo poo “song” I’ve ever heard. I’d just as soon listen to someone being violently ill for four minutes.

Don’t listen to this, you’ll regret it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SEClowGhas

If I didn't know better, i'd think that that was Chris Jericho doing a bit.