Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

I do not like AC/DC.
They are overplayed, and most of their songs sound exactly the same.
That being said, they have one of the greatest (and probably only) bagpipe solos ever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GChhRrU6BJU

One morning while I was driving to work, listening to the radio, they had a professional bagpiper in the studio for some reason. The DJs turned the music down at that point, and let that dude do his thing. It was fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

Can't believe I haven't seen this one mentioned yet: the Pina Colada song. How the gently caress was this ever a hit.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
it's been... one week since you :fuckoff:

also Cold Missouri Waters but idk if anyone but me and my specific annoying group knows that one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgQNeGPJdcQ

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 20:08 on Jul 23, 2023

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Ah, so many folks in this thread I agree with. Feels good, man. I thought of a few more in the meantime that haven't been mentioned yet:

Drops of Jupiter (Tell Me) by Train - It almost feels like cheating putting a song by Train in my post, but alas, I can't not. Dreadfully soulless, just like "Hey Soul Sister" and "Meet Virginia".

Your Body is a Wonderland by John Mayer - See above, but replace "Train" with "John Mayer", and "Hey Soul Sister" & "Meet Virginia" with anything else.

I Don't Want to Wait by Paula Cole - I couldn't really decide between this one and "Where Have All the Cowboys Gone?", but I chose this one because it was so ridiculously overplayed. I feel kind of bad because it seems to come from a genuine, sincere place, but that makes it worse because it ends up being maudlin and obnoxious.

Bogus Adventure posted:

-Piano Man: This is a fantastic song, but I've heard it so much that I can't stand it. There are so many better Billy Joel songs that should be played.

Pomme de Terror posted:

Reading y'all's posts reminded me of another one - You're Beautiful by James Blunt
Way too repetitive, whiny, and comes off weirdly insincere - like he's just saying he loves you because he's supposed to

1 posted:

A few of Paul McCartney's have already been mentioned, but Wonderful Christmastime is the one I would erase from history.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Two [Christmas songs] that do annoy the piss out of me are Christmas Shoes as I've already said (who likes that loving depressing song?) and Do They Know It's Christmas? and its condescending lyrics:

Yes, what a cheery Christmas thought: "The doom and gloom is happening to those people, so Merry Christmas to us privileged white folks!". gently caress you.

Plus, Do They Know It's Christmas? is as old as I am, I think, and it still gets regular rotation among those 24/7 all Christmas stations. I truly don't get why they even bother playing that song anymore.

Zero_Grade posted:

Can't believe I haven't seen this one mentioned yet: the Pina Colada song. How the gently caress was this ever a hit.

:hmmyes: That said:
1) I'd like to add "Christmas Wrapping" by the Waitresses to the long list of Christmas songs I hate. That saxophone part in the chorus is especially annoying, it's like artificial whimsy.
2) "Piña Colada" is another one of those songs, at least for me, that's so awful that it's just kind of a "default" awful song just resting in the back of my mind because it doesn't come up enough for me to think about it.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
That mope rap song that sampled seal a few years ago.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Really anything by the Fray, but especially how to save a life

Just a poo poo song by a poo poo band enjoyed by poo poo people. It drones forever and the guys voice grates on my nerves

Equally lovely is The Reason by Hoobastank. It played an uncountable number of times the summer I worked at the ice cream shop and I wanted to die every time

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

YeahTubaMike posted:

"Christmas Wrapping" by the Waitresses

I never knew they did anything other than "I Know What Boys Like".
What a terrible song and music video.

FIX SIGNS
Aug 29, 2006

You're fucking great,
just do what you can.

YeahTubaMike posted:

"Where Have All the Cowboys Gone?"

Oh, god.

Oh loving hell..

I despise that song. Back when it first came out, I heard it dozens of times a day on the preview / promo tapes we played at Blockbuster. Just the most insipid bullshit. My hatred for that song can only be challenged by "You Get What You Give" by The New Radicals. Utterly trite muzak-adjacent production with self-important garbage lyrics and a matching video that makes me unreasonably angry. :argh:

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

YeahTubaMike posted:

Drops of Jupiter (Tell Me) by Train - It almost feels like cheating putting a song by Train in my post, but alas, I can't not. Dreadfully soulless, just like "Hey Soul Sister" and "Meet Virginia".

Completely soulless, and also a prime example of one of my least favorite motifs in pop music: "hey, woman who's out there doing her own thing, haven't you forgotten who REALLY matters: me, an insufferable small-minded weenie man?!" Meet Virginia might also be about this (it's at least about its close cousin, "woman who seems cool and self-actualized is actually very sad"), and while I have somehow avoided hearing Hey Soul Sister, the title gives me pause.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
A few that haven't been mentioned that I hate are

Breaking Benjamin - So Cold. Lyrics are just so teenage angst that I get second hand embarrassment listening to them.

Anything by Avenged Sevenfold or Hollywood Undead.

Future Wax
Feb 17, 2011

There is no inherent quantity of driving that I can increase!
I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing by Aerosmith. Granted, I don't like Aerosmith in general so I wasn't inclined to like this song, but it is just overwrought garbage. (That "even when I DREEEEEEEAM of youuuu!" part will be in my head forever for all the wrong reasons.) Plus it was overplayed at time, it felt like whatever studio made Armageddon was trying to push it as the next My Heart Will Go On, and it was just as obnoxious.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Lots of people on point ITT (gently caress you to whoever made me think about Manic Monday :argh:) but my biggest personal bugaboo is Hallelujah, because going to anything vaguely folk-ish on Pandora etc. usually means being bombarded with approximately one hundred million covers of it.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

How about this one

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Two VASTLY different song, who's names I don't know, and who's lyrics I don't even really know so it's kind of hard to even search for the names of them.

First one up is a hip-hop song from circa 2006-2009. I don't know the exact year, but it's when I was working in a couple kitchens and I remember hearing it when the radio was tuned to the Top 40 or hip-shop station.
Again, I know almost none of the lyrics, BUT the chorus has a weird part that is like a fuckin' Chipmunks song. SUPER high-pitched and I THNK the lyrics are like
"How low can you go?
How long, can you go?!"

And again...very high pitched and annoying.

The second is from...IDK, maybe 8-10 years ago? Possibly a bit newer. It was part of the trend of "quirky white girl sings jazzy songs." The chorus is really upbeat and I THINK one of lines ends in the phrase "little kicks" and then the next lyrics rhymes that with "1966."

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

DrBouvenstein posted:

The second is from...IDK, maybe 8-10 years ago? Possibly a bit newer. It was part of the trend of "quirky white girl sings jazzy songs." The chorus is really upbeat and I THINK one of lines ends in the phrase "little kicks" and then the next lyrics rhymes that with "1966."

Uggh I think this is that Portugal. The Man song, and yes its awful.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

How could I have forgotten this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge4n0PYpupU

Of all the songs mentioned, this might be the most godawful of them all. Hotel California is overplayed but it's listenable. Christmas Shoes is saccharine and terrible but it's not inhuman screeching that makes your ears bleed. This is not music....it's what I imagine hell to sound like.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

How could I have forgotten this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge4n0PYpupU

Of all the songs mentioned, this might be the most godawful of them all. Hotel California is overplayed but it's listenable. Christmas Shoes is saccharine and terrible but it's not inhuman screeching that makes your ears bleed. This is not music....it's what I imagine hell to sound like.

Me, before clicking: "A song about Japan that is described as inhuman screeching that ISN'T by Yoko Ono somehow? I'm too curious..."

Me, after clicking "Watch on YouTube" and seeing "johnlennon" username: " :rolleyes: :hmmyes: "

Me, after clicking play button: " :stonk: "

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I never want to hear Don't Stop Believin' ever again.

Please, at least play Separate Ways (Worlds Apart). God, please. :negative:

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Saturday in the Park by Chicago. So loving stupid.

Anything by Cake, but especially The Distance. That poo poo can go straight to hell!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

HungryMedusa posted:

Anything by Cake, but especially The Distance. That poo poo can go straight to hell!

:hai:

gently caress Cake, they suck.

I'm also going to through Florence and the Machine under the bus as well. Their songs are repetitive and all sound the same to me. I could have lived a full and happy life without ever having heard of them.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Has anyone mentioned I was made for Ioving you by kiss yet? Of aII the way too overpIayed songs out there, this is one that reaIIy grates on me

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Animal Song by Savage Garden.
    Animals and children tell the truth, they never lie
    Which one is more human
    There's a thought, now you decide
No, animals and children lie all the time, Darren. And if we were talking about something that (adult) humans do and other animals do not then the thing that humans do would be "more human", obviously.
    'Cause I want to live like animals
    Careless and free like animals
    I want to live
    I want to run through the jungle
    The wind in my hair and the sand at my feet
I'm also not convinced that animals live "careless and free". And I'm not sure you know what a jungle is; I think you're thinking of a beach.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

everything ABBA ever made, that “fortunate son” or whatever by Creedence

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
I am a wee bit surprised that Sinead O'Connor's death didn't end up prompting a thread bump, but I guess if I didn't have a comment, no one did.

Anyway, gently caress that Sarah MacLachlan song that's on the animal rescue commercials.

ulvir posted:

everything ABBA ever made

:hmmyes:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

YeahTubaMike posted:

Anyway, gently caress that Sarah MacLachlan song that's on the animal rescue commercials.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

YeahTubaMike posted:

They need to update with new music, clearly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ztgvntzv04

(Not my work)

Edward_Lapine
Jan 21, 2011

I thought you were actually gay, I mean...
So did I, for a bit, but then I found out about the prohibitive standards of hygiene, and all that DANCING!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwIe_sjKeAY

Madness - "Our House"

This song is usually one of those commonly played tracks you hear on variety or classic rock stations. The song is repetitive, the vocals and chorus just seem to drone on, and the cheesy key change near the end just grates my nerves.

:bang:

Feb 28, 2007

1️⃣
Just another number.

BattyKiara posted:

Has anyone mentioned I was made for Ioving you by kiss yet? Of aII the way too overpIayed songs out there, this is one that reaIIy grates on me

That reminds me - Loving You, Flowers in the Window, Across the Universe (the WWF version), Raven's Theme (the WWF version), Grantchester Meadows and any other record featuring birdsong. Yes, including the Voyager golden record.

1 has a new favorite as of 17:42 on Jul 28, 2023

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

I am a wee bit surprised that Sinead O'Connor's death didn't end up prompting a thread bump, but I guess if I didn't have a comment, no one did.

Because nobody here hates her songs, good job thread!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Well, that most assuredly is not true, but goons are more polite than I thought.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I was never very familiar with her songs but for the one big hit. Mostly I just remember people making fun of her haircut and that SNL stunt.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Tears In Heaven.

Its raining men.

Thriller.

Mr Brigthside.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Little Black Submarines by The Black Keys. It's supposed to be a rip off right?

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

I heard Take the Long Way Home by Supertramp and it reminded me how bad they are. Too 10 worst bands

Also Sinead does absolutely not belong in this thread

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

The only things I remember about Sinead O'Connor are 1) she tore up the picture of the Pope, 2) she said she liked anal sex, and 3) she converted to Islam.

Graham Fury
Oct 26, 2010
I like Jolene but it's off-putting that the lyrics never acknowledge that if your man is that easily taken, you've got bigger problems than the existence of Jolene.

My time in the retail pits gave me a special distaste for the one that goes "so stressed OUT" in the squeaky voice, and also that other one that goes "once I was seven years old my mama told me doo da doo da doo or you'll be lonely". They share a similar, sickeningly cutesy vibe with the added bonus that I associate them exclusively with lovely memories of a job I hated.

Also, I know Ween is liked by music people, and maybe the point of Push the Little Daisies is that it sounds annoying, but it sounds annoying.

Armani Glasses
Feb 29, 2008

They're for reading.
"Open your eyes" by Snow Patrol, and "Thunder" by Imagine Dragons. Repetitive garbage by whiny crooning bands, which I'm just not attuned for. Their incredible popularity suggest I'm way off base of course, but no, it's the children who are wrong.

Shout out to "Yellow" by Coldplay (and everything else by Coldplay). Just, I dunno, cheer up mate, yeah?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Armani Glasses posted:

"Open your eyes" by Snow Patrol, and "Thunder" by Imagine Dragons. Repetitive garbage by whiny crooning bands, which I'm just not attuned for. Their incredible popularity suggest I'm way off base of course, but no, it's the children who are wrong.

Shout out to "Yellow" by Coldplay (and everything else by Coldplay). Just, I dunno, cheer up mate, yeah?

I don't think it's possible to make a song more boring than Yellow. It almost puts me to sleep every time I hear it. Every Coldplay song is extremely boring but Yellow is on like a cosmic level.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Armani Glasses posted:

My 8 year old kid likes Thunder. And that's fine! Cos he's eight years old.
Can't imagine an adult declaring "it's time for those infectious beats and rich harmonies that only Imagine Dragons can provide"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

I get that the 'updated' We Didn't Start the Fire is trying to follow the rhythm of the original, but in trying it just namedrops stuff wherever is convenient. Motherfucker, half of what made the original song work was that events were grouped and listed chronologically!

Zero_Grade has a new favorite as of 16:58 on Jul 29, 2023