Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Hillary's emails, plandemic, stolen election, ivermectin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

theflyingexecutive posted:

Red Red Wine. It's terrible and immediately conjures an image of some wasted boomer putting it on the jukebox in the grossest Floridian bar and thinking he's super sexy for it. Also, it was my friend's text tone when we were in high school and I'd stay at his place and people would start texting him at like 9am and would have to listen to it on loop until I fell back asleep.

I absolutely despise the UB40 cover of “Red Red Wine,” which Neil Diamond himself started playing. The original 1967 version isn’t exactly good but it at least sounds as pathetic as the lyrics.

King Hong Kong has a new favorite as of 20:03 on Jul 29, 2023

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Billy Don't Be A Hero. As soon as the first "Don't be a fool with your life" is sung you know how the song is going to end. It's a teenage tragedy song disguised as a ":qq: veterans" song.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

King Hong Kong posted:

I absolutely despise the UB40 cover of “Red Red Wine,” which Neil Diamond himself started playing. The original 1967 version isn’t exactly good but it at least sounds as pathetic as the lyrics.

Oh wow I didn't know it was a cover. It is indeed the UB40 version that torments me

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Zero_Grade posted:

I get that the 'updated' We Didn't Start the Fire is trying to follow the rhythm of the original, but in trying it just namedrops stuff wherever is convenient. Motherfucker, half of what made the original song work was that events were grouped and listed chronologically!

There's an updated version? Oh no

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tree Bucket posted:

My 8 year old kid likes Thunder. And that's fine! Cos he's eight years old.

Thank you! You have finally solved the mystery of who Imagine Dragons is for, a question which has been bugging me forever. In retrospect, maybe the name should have been a clue. Although I'm still not sure why they get play on regular adult radio; it's not like they play Raffi or the Wiggles, who are probably much more listenable.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Imagine Dragons is one group that truely makes me Uuggggggggggh when I hear them.
Stuff like Don't Tell 'Em and the like where they grab some random 80's/90's song and lazily use the hook for *~nostalgia~* rather than actually doing anything with it.

Mister Speaker posted:

Get Lucky by Daft Punk is a decent song that's been run into the ground by repetition. At my work we have these stations where people can try out various headphones connected to an iPod with various hits on it. That song is the one that people play the most, and often I just hear it faintly coming out of the headphones from across the room. gently caress that song.
I had a buddy that loved that song and would loop it all the time. I asked him why don't you listen to disco? "Disco SUCKS!"

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Every Daft Punk is a moderately interesting hook repeated 400 times

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

credburn posted:

Every Daft Punk is a moderately interesting hook repeated 400 times
What do you mean Crescendolls Robot Rock?

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I'm 36 years old and I love "Thunder" by Imagine Dragons so much :cripes: almost as much as I can't stand "Nothing Compares"

edit:

credburn posted:

There's an updated version? Oh no

Seriously, even just one version was one too many

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

the holy poopacy posted:

Thank you! You have finally solved the mystery of who Imagine Dragons is for, a question which has been bugging me forever. In retrospect, maybe the name should have been a clue. Although I'm still not sure why they get play on regular adult radio; it's not like they play Raffi or the Wiggles, who are probably much more listenable.

Yeah, my partner and I still quote the time we heard a six-year old on the street shout "Alexa! Play Thunder Imagine Dragons" repeatedly.

Beezle
Oct 19, 2008

Happy Steve Perry Day!
I hate Eiffel 65's Blue for being a bad and lazy song I think just a shred more than I hate I Gotta Feeling by the Black Eyed Peas for the same reason.

Also Valerie is OK when Amy Winehouse sings it, but is the worst thing to have to sit through a cover band or karaoke singer do

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Steve Miller's "The Joker" makes my skin crawl.

Shroom King
Sep 3, 2011

Every time I see some Boomer gently caress drive past in his classic convertible with the top down blasting Brown Eyed Girl by Van Morrison, I want to throw a Molotov Cocktail into his backseat.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Disco Pope posted:

Yeah, my partner and I still quote the time we heard a six-year old on the street shout "Alexa! Play Thunder Imagine Dragons" repeatedly.

At least 4,000 of this song's plays on Spotify were from the four-year-olds I was nannying when it came out.

This is low-hanging fruit for sure, but I heard "Antihero" by Taylor Swift on the radio again the other day and it stands out, even among all her other stuff, as the most trite, banal, whiny, self-obsessed lyrical content I've ever heard. Which is on-brand, I guess, but I still don't understand what the gently caress is going on with the production.

Oh my god, the loving production on this song. Every individual channel is clearly mixed wet as gently caress with tons of delay, chorus, and reverb, and yet somehow the entire track sounds dry, brittle, and borderline claustrophobic. Not only is there no audible bass, the entire midrange is a muddy mess. The whole thing sounds like it was conceived, written, and recorded in under 40 minutes inside a lead trashcan by a ketamine-addled toddler with only a tenuous understanding of his copy of Fruity Loops 1.2.0. And she had a six-figure production budget and two other songwriters helping her out. Absolutely does my head in.

Also there's a new country cover of "Fast Car" in which some pasty white gently caress sings about the experience of growing up as a poor black woman (including working as a checkout girl and getting pregnant) and it's just the most ridiculous, low-effort bullshit I've ever heard. He 100% heard the words "fast car" and signed on without thinking. I'm sure those of you that mentioned the original earlier in the thread will have a new appreciation for it after hearing this thing.

Modal Auxiliary has a new favorite as of 17:24 on Jul 30, 2023

TBLALV
Aug 5, 2022
Luckily I haven't heard Hey There Delilah by Plain White T's in a few years but if I never hear it again for the rest of my life it will still be too soon.

In hindsight it absolutely sounds like some incel poo poo toward someone who barely even knows he exists

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Anyone who pIays DeIiIah by Tom Jones in pubIic needs to be severeIy punished!

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Oh my god, the loving production on this song. Every individual channel is clearly mixed wet as gently caress with tons of delay, chorus, and reverb, and yet somehow the entire track sounds dry, brittle, and borderline claustrophobic. Not only is there no audible bass, the entire midrange is a muddy mess.

What does wet and dry mean here?

YeahTubaMike posted:

I'm 36 years old and I love "Thunder" by Imagine Dragons so much :cripes:

...do you mind I ask why?
On that note, wasn't there a thread at one point for posting the song you love that you're embarrassed about liking? Everyone has one of those. YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND BABY RIGHT ROUND

Dr. Lucien Sanchez
Jan 19, 2011

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Also there's a new country cover of "Fast Car" in which some pasty white gently caress sings about the experience of growing up as a poor black woman (including working as a checkout girl and getting pregnant) and it's just the most ridiculous, low-effort bullshit I've ever heard. He 100% heard the words "fast car" and signed on without thinking. I'm sure those of you that mentioned the original earlier in the thread will have a new appreciation for it after hearing this thing.

Yeah, obviously someone with pale skin involved with country music is automatically a racist gently caress and despite saying it was one of his favorite songs just heard the words 'fast car' and thought 'woo nascar!'. Country folk are too stoopid to like any other music. And what's really tragic is that Tracy Chapman is thrilled that a whole new demographic is learning about her music and she's making a ton of royalty money off of having a number one on the country charts. Thank god there are white-knighting 'progressives' to highlight how wrong she is.

TBLALV
Aug 5, 2022

Tree Bucket posted:

What does wet and dry mean here?

On that note, wasn't there a thread at one point for posting the song you love that you're embarrassed about liking? Everyone has one of those. YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND BABY RIGHT ROUND

It's been one week since you looked at me

Zero_Grade
Mar 18, 2004

Darktider 🖤🌊

~Neck Angels~

TBLALV posted:

It's been one week since you looked at me
I own that album on CD

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Tree Bucket posted:

On that note, wasn't there a thread at one point for posting the song you love that you're embarrassed about liking?

There's Terrible Songs that you don't hate but kinda admire from a distance.

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
"Start Me Up" by the Rolling Stones. There's nothing like the dread of hearing that opening guitar riff and knowing you're in for three and a half minutes of the most boring and whiny poo poo imaginable.

"Return of the Mack" by Mark Morrison. Lyrics and vocals so bad I would assume it's a joke. No idea how it achieved such mainstream success.

"Rock You Like a Hurricane" by Scorpions. Another ubiquitous stadium rock anthem that has been played to death but was never good to begin with.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
My Ding-A-Ling by Chuck Berry. I mean yeah, it’s very, very sexy, but do we seriously need a song like this in 2024? Seriously?

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

BigFactory posted:

My Ding-A-Ling by Chuck Berry. I mean yeah, it’s very, very sexy, but do we seriously need a song like this in 2024? Seriously?

i'll be sure to mention it to him as soon as possible.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I have basically no taste in music. I will listen to practically anything and very rarely feel anything more negative than “that was alright but it wasn’t for me.”

Having established that, I am in disbelief that nobody has mentioned the worst song ever recorded: Stressed Out by Twenty One Pilots. Again, rarely does a song make me think “this sucks” and honestly this one doesn’t either. This song makes me think “What the gently caress am I listening to?” It is incredibly melodically uninteresting, to the extent that it sounds like the music is just supposed to be a simple backing track for the rapping. However, the lyrics and vocals are also complete garbage.

quote:

Sometimes a certain smell will take me back to when I was young
How come I'm never able to identify where it's coming from?
I'd make a candle out of it if I ever found it
Try to sell it, never sell out of it, I'd probably only sell one

It'd be to my brother, 'cause we have the same nose
Same clothes, homegrown, a stone's throw from a creek we used to roam
But it would remind us of when nothing really mattered
Out of student loans and tree house homes, we all would take the latter

I honestly think a white suburban teenager writing a rap for a music class assignment that’s due in four hours could produce more creative and inspired lyrics, and the delivery is so flat and tuneless. Why did they make this? Why does every radio station play it once per hour so I have to hear it whenever I go grocery shopping? My only plausible theory is that they wrote this song so that Heathens would not be the worst song ever recorded. That one does make me think “this sucks.”

The Run and Go is alright, though.

Ariong has a new favorite as of 23:03 on Aug 1, 2023

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Ariong posted:

I have basically no taste in music. I will listen to practically anything and very rarely feel anything more negative than “that was alright but it wasn’t for me.”

Having established that, I am in disbelief that nobody has mentioned the worst song ever recorded: Stressed Out by Twenty One Pilots. Again, rarely does a song make me think “this sucks” and honestly this one doesn’t either. This song makes me think “What the gently caress am I listening to?” It is incredibly melodically uninteresting, to the extent that it sounds like the music is just supposed to be a simple backing track for the rapping. However, the lyrics and vocals are also complete garbage.

I honestly think a white suburban teenager writing a rap for a music class assignment that’s due in four hours could produce more creative and inspired lyrics, and the delivery is so flat and tuneless. Why did they make this? Why does every radio station play it once per hour so I have to hear it whenever I go grocery shopping? My only plausible theory is that they wrote this song so that Heathens would not be the worst song ever recorded. That one does make me think “this sucks.”

The Run and Go is alright, though.
Only reason I couldn't, is because I didn't know the name of the song or artist.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-nw-AvWcbE

One of the most pathetic teenage love songs ever written. Even the delivery of this song is terrible; so dramatic and overwrought. I can't stand this song. Anka wrote some real lovely music over the course of his career (looking at you, Having My Baby).

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
Christmas songs are easy mode for this, but Merry Christmas Everybody by Slade gets my eternal hatred. Mainly because it's twice the drat length it needs to be and they just end up repeating the lovely chorus two hundred times. Also Mariah Carey's "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)", which for some reason in 2016 or so every supermarket decided to suddenly play on constant rotation every December. I don't even hate All I Want For Christmas!

My other enemy is a fair chunk of the "indie" bands that got big in the UK in the mid to late 2000s, mainly because I was a teenager around then and it was hard to escape. There was a radio station I listened to that would not stop playing Somewhere Else by Razorlight for what felt like years. The intro of Chelsea Dagger fills me with terror and dread. There were some songs from that era I can still respect a bit but by god there was a lot of trend chasing dreck (okay okay there's always a lot of trend chasing dreck but this was when I was seventeen so it's objectively important)

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Magic Man would be a great song if they cut in half. God drat it is two minutes too fuckin long

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Does this count as thread necro?

Tree Bucket posted:

I don't know why I like "Thunder" by Imagine Dragons -- it's catchy, has a fun tune kind of reminiscent of (or stolen from, who knows) "Send My Love (To Your Lover) " by Adele which I also like, I just like it, I don't know. :shrug: Why is it so much easier to explain why I DON'T like a song?

quote:

There should be. I have a whole "pleasures that I'm not guilty about" Spotify playlist and everything, so I'd be happy to participate.

But for the sake of participating in THIS thread, I will add:

Totalimmortal by The Offspring (originally AFI) - On the one hand, they did what a cover is supposed to do: put their own flavor on it instead of trying to copy it note for note. On the other, "their own flavor" had literally NOTHING that made the original enjoyable to listen to. If you're going to make a cover of "Totalimmortal" with dull vocals & weirdly overly stable backing instrumentals, you might as well make it a ballad or something.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Tree Bucket posted:

YeahTubaMike posted:

There should be. I have a whole "pleasures that I'm not guilty about" Spotify playlist and everything, so I'd be happy to participate.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

This may bring out the torches and pitchforks: Wonderful World (the Louis Armstrong song). I like Armstrong but the song is too saccharine and feelgood.

e: I can't remember if I mentioned Sister Golden Hair?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 23:30 on Aug 20, 2023

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

This may bring out the torches and pitchforks: Wonderful World (the Louis Armstrong song). I like Armstrong but the song is too saccharine and feelgood.

Doesn't seem to be that uncommon an opinion actually.

Personally I'm fine with the Armstrong version but he is the only singer I've ever heard pull it off. Take away the vocal texture and yeah it's just sugary nothings.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

the holy poopacy posted:

Doesn't seem to be that uncommon an opinion actually.

Personally I'm fine with the Armstrong version but he is the only singer I've ever heard pull it off. Take away the vocal texture and yeah it's just sugary nothings.

It seriously makes me mad that Devin Townsend wasn’t alive and writing music back then. We have to put up with poo poo like this instead.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The song only seems to work if you counterbalance the sugar with some spice; either Louis' gravelly deathbed vocals, or a video montage of horrible atrocities. So when you have, say, Eva Cassidy doing it with an angelic voice, it's so much more unbearable.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Simply having a wonderful christmastime

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Croccers posted:

I had a buddy that loved that song and would loop it all the time. I asked him why don't you listen to disco? "Disco SUCKS!"
I brought this up to my roommate and he got Mad saying this is the musical version of picky eating.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I can't stand Sultans of Swing. I don't even know why, like I can tell it's not a bad song, I just loving hate it.

And I hate Call Me Maybe, not because it's overplayed, but because I dislike the chord progression and also, no, it's not crazy to give someone your number in case they want to call you! 'I just met you and this is crazy, but let's get married' would work, but giving numbers is not crazy! Shut up!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Not sure if it counts, but the gibberish that plays over this Peloton commercial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GD3r8iy5cmk