Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Every time someone says 'Peloton' I think 'Reggaeton'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Raggaeton is a song I hate.

I know it's technically a genre of music but really it's just that drum loop.

credburn has a new favorite as of 18:37 on Aug 27, 2023

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

HopperUK posted:

I can't stand Sultans of Swing. I don't even know why, like I can tell it's not a bad song, I just loving hate it.

For what it's worth, Mark Knopfler himself also dislikes it.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
I also have to give mention to One Week. The line "Sailor Moon got that boom anime babes that make me think the wrong thing" is absolutely the worst loving thing ever written in the English language.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

credburn posted:

:eng101: It's called a tresillo, which is a type of hemiola (a rhythm wherein three strong beats are placed in the space normally occupied by two). I agree that it's overused and obnoxious, but what's worse than reggaeton is moombahton, a short-lived rave subgenre that deployed tresillo rhythm alongside even more obnoxious dubstep basses.

Since we're on the topic, a buddy showed me recently Norwegian Reggaeton, which is power-metal guitars over that tresillo rhythm. It is riotously funny.

Semi-Protato
Sep 11, 2001

credburn posted:

How can you hate a genre of music that produced this all time classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlW7T0SUH0E

don longjohns
Mar 2, 2012

I like 99% of songs by the B-52's, but Rock Lobster destroys my will to live. I hate it so much. It's not just the inaccurate and screechy animal noises. It's everything about it. My husband loves it.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

don longjohns posted:

I like 99% of songs by the B-52's, but Rock Lobster destroys my will to live. I hate it so much. It's not just the inaccurate and screechy animal noises. It's everything about it. My husband loves it.

Baudolino posted:

Mr Brigthside.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Steve Miller's "The Joker" makes my skin crawl.

All contenders for worst song, but what about Hey There Delil...

TBLALV posted:

Luckily I haven't heard Hey There Delilah by Plain White T's in a few years but if I never hear it again for the rest of my life it will still be too soon.

In hindsight it absolutely sounds like some incel poo poo toward someone who barely even knows he exists

Oh someone's gotten to it before me. Well then. Uhhh... Bowling for Soup Girl all the Bad Guys Want is like a cheese grater against my ear canal.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

Rock Lobster kicks rear end. Love Shack is the actually annoying B-52s song. And even then it's not that bad, just kinda mid compared to the rest of their stuff.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

TBLALV posted:

Luckily I haven't heard Hey There Delilah by Plain White T's in a few years but if I never hear it again for the rest of my life it will still be too soon.

In hindsight it absolutely sounds like some incel poo poo toward someone who barely even knows he exists

I don't know how the hell I missed this. I posted about "Drops of Jupiter", "Hey Soul Sister", and "Meet Virginia", but not "Hey There Delilah", even though I would have bet money that I did. Train and Plain White T's are different bands, I know, but it just goes to show how utterly interchangeable & terrible all those songs are.

don longjohns posted:

The "Iraq lobster" bit in Family Guy was funny, but otherwise I hate that song too.

spookykid posted:

Oh someone's gotten to it before me. Well then. Uhhh... Bowling for Soup Girl all the Bad Guys Want is like a cheese grater against my ear canal.

Oh boy oh boy oh boy am I glad I never heard this song before. I looked it up on YouTube to make sure that it wasn't just a song that I never learned the name of or something and made it 41 seconds before I had to stop torturing myself.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

YeahTubaMike posted:

I don't know how the hell I missed this. I posted about "Drops of Jupiter", "Hey Soul Sister", and "Meet Virginia", but not "Hey There Delilah", even though I would have bet money that I did. Train and Plain White T's are different bands, I know, but it just goes to show how utterly interchangeable & terrible all those songs are.

I hate every one of these songs as well.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Oh boy oh boy oh boy am I glad I never heard this song before. I looked it up on YouTube to make sure that it wasn't just a song that I never learned the name of or something and made it 41 seconds before I had to stop torturing myself.

There was an ENTIRE summer (2002 I think?) where every "rock" and pop station in Oklahoma City had it in a rotation of ~90 minutes so if you switched stations, there was a possibility of hearing every 30 minutes

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

don longjohns posted:

My best buddy and I have this running joke that Fred Schneider just talks like that all the time, like it's his regular speaking voice.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

HopperUK posted:

I can't stand Sultans of Swing. I don't even know why, like I can tell it's not a bad song, I just loving hate it.

And I hate Call Me Maybe, not because it's overplayed, but because I dislike the chord progression and also, no, it's not crazy to give someone your number in case they want to call you! 'I just met you and this is crazy, but let's get married' would work, but giving numbers is not crazy! Shut up!

Not liking the song is fine, but telling Carly Rae Jepsen to shut up feels like drop-kicking a baby rabbit.

Heres a couple that I can't stand.

Chelsea Dagger by The Frattellis. That football terrace chant just sets off my fight or flight. It sounds like a Uni Rugby team in a Wetherspoons. Anything with that kind of football terrace vocal or hook, like 9pm 'Til I Come or Who Let The Dogs Out. Although not "Kids Are United" by Sham 69, which is a fun punk tune, oddly.

On the other end of the scale, pretty much all Symphonic Metal makes me want to smash the warhammer carry case over the head of whatever dork is listening to it. The same goes for bro-metal like Five Finger Death Punch. Just scan my copy of Call of Duty and give me my £5 CEX store credit, Monster Energy Tattoo.

Finally, the theme tune to Channel 4 game show "15-to-1" its like their synth had a "boring Sunday afternoon" setting. It makes me feel melancholy, but not in a cool, romantic way - like a reading a car magazine in a Dr's Surgery way.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Did anyone say Little Talks by Of Monsters And Men? Just heard it and forgot how my I hate it.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Did you all really forget about Iron Maiden? I can't stand it, especially Run to the Hills with its horrible riff at the beginning.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

Enter Sandman really does blow. Not just because Metallica had long since sold out, but also because it's just a goofy rear end song. Like James Hetfield really wanted to make little kids' bad dreams sound hardcore and scary.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Did anyone say Little Talks by Of Monsters And Men? Just heard it and forgot how my I hate it.

Yeah that one has been brought up. I kinda dig the video though.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

all tool ‘songs’

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

emSparkly posted:

Enter Sandman really does blow. Not just because Metallica had long since sold out, but also because it's just a goofy rear end song. Like James Hetfield really wanted to make little kids' bad dreams sound hardcore and scary.

Metallica are super cornball edgelord and IMO always have been. Watch that documentary Some Kind Of Monster to see what kind of immature, petulant children they are. The way they and their producer come up with ideas in the studio seems sophomoric, and then of course the petulant part is how often Lars and James are at each others' throats over juvenile prima donna bullshit. Some of their tunes still slap and they're deffo foundational in the metal scene, but they are not exactly scholarly songwriters.

The thing that really irks me about Metallica though is how lovely a drummer Lars is. It's seriously loving astounding how sloppy his playing is and how it's not improved at all in thirty years. Superfans of the band will even go so far as to explain some of his sloppy fills and missed rhythms as 'odd time signatures' when they are clearly, very careless mistakes. It's like some kind of sick joke that he's in the same band as James Hetfield, whose right hand is a loving naildriver.

EDIT: My other controversial Metallica opinion is that their version of Whisky In The Jar is superior to Thin Lizzy's.

Mister Speaker has a new favorite as of 22:18 on Aug 29, 2023

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I did, but more than fair to bring it up again because it's so heinous. I can't imagine anyone hearing it and thinking "yeah, this is the good stuff." I would rather listen to a bunch of silverware being thrown down an endless stairwell.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tokelau All Star posted:

I did, but more than fair to bring it up again because it's so heinous. I can't imagine anyone hearing it and thinking "yeah, this is the good stuff." I would rather listen to a bunch of silverware being thrown down an endless stairwell.

I don't know who actually gets excited for it but I've always liked it fine, it's a pleasant bit of nonsense. It did get overplayed a bit though.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I don't hate the song "Low", (i.e. Apple Bottom Jeans) it's a fun mid Aughts dance/hip-hop staple.

BUT...the chorus has a God-awful line that doesn't fit the meter very well.

The first few lines of the chorus:

"Shorty had had them apple-bottom jeans (jeans),
and boots with the fur.
The whole club was looking at her"

But when you listen to it, there is a really awkward pause right before the last line:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm_h6FnF8HU

The "flow", imo, would work a lot better if you just ever so slightly changed it to:

"Shorty had had them apple-bottom jeans (jeans),
and boots with the fur.
Everybody in the club was looking at her"

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Similar thing: Not a song I exactly hate, but Summer Girls has a really stupid loving line:
New Kids had a bunch of hits/Chinese food makes me sick

I guess they were looking for things to rhyme with 'hits', but a) 'sick' is at best a near rhyme, and b) condemning an entire cuisine because it "makes you sick" is out of left field and lovely.

Rhadamanthus
Dec 12, 2004

I roll a lotta sushi, roll 'em fat like John Belushi; call me Desi Arnaz, dogg, I love the Lucy.

Mister Speaker posted:

:eng101: It's called a tresillo, which is a type of hemiola (a rhythm wherein three strong beats are placed in the space normally occupied by two). I agree that it's overused and obnoxious, but what's worse than reggaeton is moombahton, a short-lived rave subgenre that deployed tresillo rhythm alongside even more obnoxious dubstep basses.

Since we're on the topic, a buddy showed me recently Norwegian Reggaeton, which is power-metal guitars over that tresillo rhythm. It is riotously funny.

Moombahton still owns loving bones more than 10 years later, not sorry about it. also it began with mixing salsa records with house, not dubstep.

the future is now

but also then

Rhadamanthus has a new favorite as of 18:03 on Aug 30, 2023

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

This song really loving sucks.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

I'm usually a very mellow person (like Ben Murphy levels of mellow), however, any time Dave Matthews Band's Satellite came on in my car in the mid-90s, I wanted to punch my stereo through the dashboard.

The only other song to come close to that reaction was some 2012-ish song with a "stomp-clap" beat and some guy whispering lyrics about growing up and it has a line with this mind-blowing revelation that they used blankets when it was cold.

While Dire Straits and Nirvana are both OK, if I never heard Money for Nothing or Smells Like Teen Spirit again, I'd be fine. At least in this area, those were two of the most overplayed songs ever and while I liked them at one point, I hate them now.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

Metallica are super cornball edgelord and IMO always have been. Watch that documentary Some Kind Of Monster to see what kind of immature, petulant children they are. The way they and their producer come up with ideas in the studio seems sophomoric, and then of course the petulant part is how often Lars and James are at each others' throats over juvenile prima donna bullshit. Some of their tunes still slap and they're deffo foundational in the metal scene, but they are not exactly scholarly songwriters.

The thing that really irks me about Metallica though is how lovely a drummer Lars is. It's seriously loving astounding how sloppy his playing is and how it's not improved at all in thirty years. Superfans of the band will even go so far as to explain some of his sloppy fills and missed rhythms as 'odd time signatures' when they are clearly, very careless mistakes. It's like some kind of sick joke that he's in the same band as James Hetfield, whose right hand is a loving naildriver.

EDIT: My other controversial Metallica opinion is that their version of Whisky In The Jar is superior to Thin Lizzy's.

Normally the lead guitarist is supposed to be the big dick virtuoso but Kirk Hammett is a way worse musician than Hetfield.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

Shroom King posted:

Every time I see some Boomer gently caress drive past in his classic convertible with the top down blasting Brown Eyed Girl by Van Morrison, I want to throw a Molotov Cocktail into his backseat.

gently caress thus guy

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

Normally the lead guitarist is supposed to be the big dick virtuoso but Kirk Hammett is a way worse musician than Hetfield.

For years I thought his only saving grace was the solo in "Nothing Else Matters"; I only recently learned it was James. The lack of wah should have given it away.

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

For sure this is one of the worst songs ever written, it's like it was composed specifically for middle-aged hipsters to broadcast through their cottagecore communes.

Modal Auxiliary has a new favorite as of 18:33 on Sep 2, 2023

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Similar thing: Not a song I exactly hate, but Summer Girls has a really stupid loving line:
New Kids had a bunch of hits/Chinese food makes me sick

I guess they were looking for things to rhyme with 'hits', but a) 'sick' is at best a near rhyme, and b) condemning an entire cuisine because it "makes you sick" is out of left field and lovely.
I know this piece of poo poo picky eater that hates "Asian food" because he had lovely orange chicken once in his hometown. Like, he writes off the innumerable cuisines of a goddamn continent because of it.

What does he eat? Burgers, fried chicken, pizza (meat only), maybe tacos.

He will neither eat karaage nor Korean fried chicken.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

lmao at everyone posting a bunch of generally good music when nobody has mentioned the worst song ever,

Last Kiss by Pearl Jam

yeah sure tell us all how much you fuckin' hate the eagles super original lol

Little Talks is also unforgivable garbage, though. I had legit blocked it from my mind until this thread.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Home by the American Idol winner whose name i can't remember. It's just kinda creepy and the way it's sung is eeeeh.

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

You could put any Theory of a Deadman song here, but I would like to single out Bad Girlfriend as possibly the worst song I've ever heard. The laziest most disgustingly sour guitar riff ever put to a buttrock song, white trash lyrics, and the chorus in particular makes it sound like the frontman needed a lozenge before recording but they just used that take anyway.

boneration
Jan 9, 2005

now that's performance
How the hell has nobody mentioned Honey, I'm Good by Andy Grammer? This song is a crime against music.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Covers a lot of bands mentioned here, and several that haven't yet but should be:
Mumford and Sons
Of Monsters and Men
The Lumineers
Imagine Dragons
Capitol City
Bastille
The Shins
Edward Sharpe
The Dead South

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I'm lucky enough to have never (to my knowledge) ever heard an Imagine Dragons song, but I have to chuckle when I hear the band mentioned because they've replaced Nickelback as some of the most hated artists of recent years.

All of Maroon 5's songs - at least the recent ones - have the same annoying autotune and sound exactly the same, so I guess I'd categorically add them to my list.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Rockman Reserve posted:

lmao at everyone posting a bunch of generally good music when nobody has mentioned the worst song ever,

Last Kiss by Pearl Jam

What are your thoughts on the 1961 original?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I'm lucky enough to have never (to my knowledge) ever heard an Imagine Dragons song, .

You probably have in a Jeep commercial, or middle-of-the-road movie trailer.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

I Believe I Can Fly. Overplayed, sentimental pap from when we were kids in the '90s.

e: The "I was born in a small town/can breathe in a small town" song. Is Mellencamp the artist? I too grew up in a small town, and I love my home town. But I don't feel the need to repetitively sing for three minutes about how superior it is.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 19:35 on Sep 8, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

discoukulele posted:

I can't stand Africa by Toto. It's one of those songs like Sweet Caroline that people go nuts over.

if i were handcuffed in the back of a cop car and that song came on, not even god themself could stop me from changing that station