Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

I Believe I Can Fly. Overplayed, sentimental pap from when we were kids in the '90s.

e: The "I was born in a small town/can breathe in a small town" song. Is Mellencamp the artist? I too grew up in a small town, and I love my home town. But I don't feel the need to repetitively sing for three minutes about how superior it is.

I don’t know if it’s mellencamp but “jack and Diane” and “cherry bomb” need to be deleted from existence and wiped from history forever. Absolutely cringe trash. I’ve blocked them on the work spotify. The small town one can get in the fuckin bin too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Despite being a pioneering band, The Beatles have a dozen candidates for The Worst Song Ever.

I’ve never hated a song more than Hey Jude. It’s completely worthless and without any artistic merit, not to mention hideously ugly. If it comes on the radio, I’ll change the channel as fast as possible.

A strong contender for second worst song ever has to be We Didn’t Start The Fire. I don’t feel this one needs an explanation.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

The Beatles have enough good songs to fill maybe two great albums, everything else is silly novelty songs or experimental drivel.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Shithouse Dave posted:

I don’t know if it’s mellencamp but “jack and Diane” and “cherry bomb” need to be deleted from existence and wiped from history forever. Absolutely cringe trash. I’ve blocked them on the work spotify. The small town one can get in the fuckin bin too.

Familiarity breeds contempt, and classic rock stations make sure we're very familiar with all of Mellencamp's major hits.

Here's another good one: loving Bolero by Ravel. Hope you like that particular passage of music, because you're going to hear it repeated ad nauseam for the next ten minutes or so with little or no variation!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald has a new favorite as of 15:55 on Sep 9, 2023

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Here's another good one: loving Bolero by Ravel. Hope you like that particular passage of music, because you're going to hear it repeated ad nauseam for the next ten minutes or so with little or no variation!

I once heard an opera singer talk about how Bolero is one of the greatest jokes ever played, that it's intentionally awful and is just Ravel making fun of the uncultured.

edit: I might be getting it mixed up with Canon which is similarly awful through repetition

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I can't believe I forgot about this heap of poo poo song, I hate it so goddamn much.

Rude, by MAGIC!

It is the whingiest poo poo ever and it was played far too often.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Rollie Fingers posted:

I’ve never hated a song more than Hey Jude. It’s completely worthless and without any artistic merit, not to mention hideously ugly. If it comes on the radio, I’ll change the channel as fast as possible.

It's high on the list of "songs with a name in the title that the band should pay considerable damages to all called that", along with Sweet Caroline and Come On Eileen

lt_kennedy
Sep 2, 2007
Needs Moar Race
Mustang Sally loving sucks. Walking in Memphis and Betty Davis Eyes. Garbage!!!

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1BHfWzVEKw

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

John Fogerty's voice drives me insane and I cannot stand more than five seconds of CCR. Fortunate Son is the lone exception.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

The Chauffeur by Duran Duran. What the gently caress even is this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQnSS3H-I5U

Devonaut has a new favorite as of 23:37 on Sep 10, 2023

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

That Old Ganon posted:

I can't believe I forgot about this heap of poo poo song, I hate it so goddamn much.

Rude, by MAGIC!

It is the whingiest poo poo ever and it was played far too often.

I hate that song. It's like, what did you think the point of asking permission was if you thought he couldn't say no? And surely, if you're about to marry this woman and know her father well enough to know he'd want you to ask his permission first, then you also must know that he doesn't like you, right? How did you not see this coming? And if you're not going to take no for an answer then you didn't actually give a poo poo about respecting this tradition at all, so you shouldn't have pretended to. And you shouldn't respect it because it's bad. So you shouldn't have asked, and the position you're now in is entirely your own stupid fault and your girlfriend shouldn't marry you because you suck and I hate you.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

credburn posted:

I once heard an opera singer talk about how Bolero is one of the greatest jokes ever played, that it's intentionally awful and is just Ravel making fun of the uncultured.

Ravel didn't think much of it himself, he wrote it on commission as a kind of experiment at the end of his career and was surprised that it took off the way it did. I quite enjoy it myself and the blaring, mocking brass blasts at the end are a hoot. It also points the way to later 20th century minimalism. The best version is of course this proto-Mr Bean film by some Frenchie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCex9IjPNCo

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
The Runaways - Cherry Bomb

I'm sorry, the Runaways are cool, but the 'ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch' bit is like nails on a chalkboard to me, especially because it's never on time with the beat.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Good as Hell by Lizzo

First, it's just so simple and repetitive that I only had to hear it once for it to become indelibly stuck in my head. A week later it's still popping up unprompted.

Second, the second and subsequent choruses go "And do your hair toss; check my nails" so she's telling someone else to check her nails. The first chorus goes "I do my hair toss; Check my nails" so when it switches from "my hair toss" to "your hair toss", why not also switch "my nails" to "your nails"? :argh:

Third, if you're leaving your partner because you believe he no longer loves you, you are not feeling "good as hell".

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Rock and Roll all Nite by Kiss is not offensively bad, but it does sound like the Kidz Bop version of an already not-great song.

UnassignedCarbon
Sep 28, 2018

DrBouvenstein posted:

Mumford and Sons
Of Monsters and Men
The Lumineers
Imagine Dragons
Capitol City
Bastille
The Shins
Edward Sharpe
The Dead South

Hahahaha I love so many of these songs. My partner hates them and refuses to tolerate my "godawful stomp clap songs". I absolutely 100% understand the hatred but I just enjoy the hell out of them.

One of the worst songs to me is Taylor Swift's "You Belong With Me". It's just the most saccharine "I'm just your normal average girl next door, notice me!". It's borderline offensive coming from a gorgeous blonde white billionaire.

It's got the same energy as 90's movies where the main dude takes the glasses off of his female "best friend" and sees how beautiful she REALLY is, now that the pesky 4 inches of glass and plastic obscuring maybe 1/6th of her face is gone. Didn't notice till then somehow! Homeboy is not perceptive. It's such a nauseating trope.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Jason Mraz’s “I’m Yours” was already covered but I want to mention one line of that song that grates my goddamn nerves: “it’s our godforsaken right to be loved”. You dumb poo poo, don’t use words that mean the opposite of what you think they mean. It’s “god-given”, you stupid trilby dweeb, loving “given”. The song is insipid enough as is, but this is the inedible poo poo fondant on the garbage pile cake. I want to smash your stupid guitar until you cry.

Also, big ugh to Colbie Caillat. She is the female version of Jason Mraz, and she’s a nepo baby to boot. Where would she be if her dad hadn’t been not just a record producer, but the engineer of a legendary classic rock album?

[edit] now I have that goddamn song in my head I hate you so much Jason Mraz

root beer has a new favorite as of 00:02 on Feb 29, 2024

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Although I hate all "stomp clap" songs fairly equally, there was one that I absofuckinglutely hated with every fiber of my being when it came on the radio, streaming or whatever. Unfortunately, I haven’t heard it in probably 6 years and all I can remember is the part that I hated the most: a line about how when they were young and cold...they used blankets and it was sung like it was some startling revelation and that nobody could have ever thought to use a blanket to keep warm.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I'm glad the Stomp Clap Hey genre is dying. Anyone who likes Mumford and Sons has zero taste.
e: my spouse has just informed me they enjoy Mf&S. Afraid to ask about Imagine Dragons.

Tree Bucket has a new favorite as of 12:48 on Feb 29, 2024

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Tree Bucket posted:

Afraid to ask about Imagine Dragons.

I got a bit lost because I thought they were a similarly-named band that played laptop metal with widdly speeded-up guitar solos and video game aesthetic with "Dragons" in their name or something like that. Anyway, Imagine Dragons do that THUNDER LIGHTNING song which sounds like a ProTools experiment and is dumb as poo poo.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Katy Perry "Roar" sounds like it's a satire of upbeat inspirational songs.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Novelty hits songs. ALL of them! They are all annoying, never really funny, and any novelty overtay its welcome after a single play through

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010
There were a bunch of songs from that genre where the "hey" portion of stomp, clap, hey was the same "ho!...hey!"

I don't know if they sampled the same thing or the singers were the ones saying it and actively trying to sound alike, but it was the loving Wilhelm scream of lovely trilbycore music.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Every Katy Perry song sounds like a person making fun of someone's singing.

Her song about opposites (I think was maybe her first hit? I don't know) where it's like "you're hot and you're cold, you're yes and then no," etc. It's a song that has I think one actual rhyme? Every single couplet in this song is a slant rhyme at best. Just the laziest laziest laziest writing. Durrr think of opposites. They don't need to rhyme.

But her lyrics to that song about loving an alien are especially dumb. Just talking about what the alien is as does. You're an alien. You're from another world. You're from another dimension. You're extraterrestrial. Katy, the alien probably knows.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

BattyKiara posted:

Novelty hits songs. ALL of them! They are all annoying, never really funny, and any novelty overtay its welcome after a single play through

I have deep-seated fears associated with the OKeh Laughing Record from having a VHS with this old Tex Avery cartoon on it when I was like two or three years old:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9w0QoQX48kw

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

BattyKiara posted:

I refuse to listen to this slander about the dogs barking Jingle Bells!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Tree Bucket posted:

e: my spouse has just informed me they enjoy Mf&S. Afraid to ask about Imagine Dragons.

I assume that Venn diagram is just two separate circles but I am also quite content to never, ever test that assumption.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

BattyKiara posted:

Does rear end in a top hat by Denis Leary count? Cause that's awesome

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

"You're the one that I want! Woo hoo hoo!" :fuckoff:

The most annoying song from Grease and it's the only one that ever gets played.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

"You're the one that I want! Woo hoo hoo!" :fuckoff:

The most annoying song from Grease and it's the only one that ever gets played.

I can’t unhear “vol-au-vent” when I hear that song (and I hate that song)

https://youtu.be/75xMZRStElw?si=26J6W7Nx-_afUHoK

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

credburn posted:

Her song about opposites (I think was maybe her first hit? I don't know) where it's like "you're hot and you're cold, you're yes and then no," etc. It's a song that has I think one actual rhyme? Every single couplet in this song is a slant rhyme at best. Just the laziest laziest laziest writing. Durrr think of opposites. They don't need to rhyme.

But her lyrics to that song about loving an alien are especially dumb. Just talking about what the alien is as does. You're an alien. You're from another world. You're from another dimension. You're extraterrestrial. Katy, the alien probably knows.
Alien huh?
Oh that song gets better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucYv1zX13zU

She had a Sims 3 expansion of her own too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxyW6AJ-yIk

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

credburn posted:

Katy Perry sings like it hurts. Her voice sounds so strained.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Future Wax posted:

I Don't Wanna Miss a Thing by Aerosmith. Granted, I don't like Aerosmith in general so I wasn't inclined to like this song, but it is just overwrought garbage. (That "even when I DREEEEEEEAM of youuuu!" part will be in my head forever for all the wrong reasons.) Plus it was overplayed at time, it felt like whatever studio made Armageddon was trying to push it as the next My Heart Will Go On, and it was just as obnoxious.

Had my first kiss to that song at a school dance. I can't hate it.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm glad to see this thread is still going. :unsmith:

Just wanted to say that digging at people's taste in music is one of my favourite things to do, even if it's almost always completely insincere. There's little music I truly actually hate, I was even hamming it up a bit for the OP, but music is such a deeply personal and profound thing to virtually everyone that it's a very easy way to push their buttons to start dissing their taste in it.

I was trying to explain this to a friend when she put on an all-ABBA playlist at work the other day, but obviously starting a statement with "There's little music I truly actually hate," comes off wrong pretty much immediately. :lmao:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I find early Gwen Stefani's voice extremely objectionable, and have difficulty picking between Just A Girl or Don't Speak in the irritating super league.

e: having looked through the thread again, there are two picks that are improved in cover versions. 'I Was Made For Lovin' You' by Queen Of Japan, rather than KISS and 'Wonderful World' by Nick Cave and Shane McGowan.

Torquemada has a new favorite as of 15:43 on Mar 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Go Away Little Girl - mostly the Donny Osmond version from the early '70s, but really the song in general. An annoying - and creepy, if the singer is an adult - earworm.