Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Also, I switch out old school lightbulbs seasonally. I like the heat in winter, and use LED's in summer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Is it guns

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Its guns

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I remember hearing somewhere that part of the reason for this ban was because tungsten is legit rare now and there's not enough of it left to keep using for filaments, but do incandescent bulbs even still use tungsten filament anymore?

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
Yeah this has been a thing here for years at this point, there was some boomer outrage for like 3 weeks until they were forced to realize oh you can just get the exact same bulbs in LED and they use 1/10th of the power for the same light yield (plus they don't look weird and too blueish anymore or take 5 minutes to hit full brightness like ye olde fluorescent power saver bulbs).

If you have a really poo poo old dimmer that might not work great but other than that yeah there was just no reason for filament bulbs to continue existing.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
If you tell me not to use incandescent bulbs you better believe I’m gonna use em even more. Lamps, sconces, inside the fridge, when I have an idea, you name it there’s an incandescent bulb shining that good hot light for all to see. I just think it’s funny that’s all.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I'd rather pay a penny a year to run an LED that gets changed once every 20 years vs changing old bulbs every few months because they randomly poo poo out around the house.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

If you tell me not to use incandescent bulbs you better believe I’m gonna use em even more. Lamps, sconces, inside the fridge, when I have an idea, you name it there’s an incandescent bulb shining that good hot light for all to see. I just think it’s funny that’s all.

Lol.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I sound with these

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

op is Michelle Bachmann?????

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

can't say I've bought an incandescent bulb since like 2006 and have used LEDs exclusively since I bought my house in 2016

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I got some LEDs that look like they have filaments in them and they're pretty neat I tell you what

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
:gas:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
Clickbait!

There are three uses I can think of where standard bulbs are close to the best way to do it.

-Testing protection circuits. A multimeter has too high of an input impedance and the burden of the filament is enough to test if contacts are closed or if you are measuring bleed through from a coil for example.

-Ground fault detection. On a battery system the positive and negative should measure about 63V to ground, connect a light bulb to positive and ground and a second bulb to negative and ground. If one is brighter than the other then there is a ground fault, modern battery chargers should indicate this but most of these systems are anything but modern.

-Heat, the cheapest heater I can think of is a 100w bulb. Good for animals, condensation control, keeping pipes from freezing in some situations.

Otherwise old school bulbs can go gently caress off, LEDs are great now and the power company mails me a free box of them every year.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

:siren: :jail: :siren:

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Snackula posted:

Yeah this has been a thing here for years at this point, there was some boomer outrage for like 3 weeks until they were forced to realize oh you can just get the exact same bulbs in LED and they use 1/10th of the power for the same light yield (plus they don't look weird and too blueish anymore or take 5 minutes to hit full brightness like ye olde fluorescent power saver bulbs).

If you have a really poo poo old dimmer that might not work great but other than that yeah there was just no reason for filament bulbs to continue existing.

Yeah I can see people being annoyed with the old CFL bulbs with the weird blue florescent light temperature but you can get LED bulbs now that have basically the exact same look and color temperature as incandescent, use less power, and each bulb lasts for almost 15 years. I haven't had to change a lightbulb in my apartment since I switched to LEDs and that was over seven years ago.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

:gas:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ahahahah

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

if common household items are illegal then only outlaws will have common household items…

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Chief McHeath posted:

if common household items are illegal then only outlaws will have common household items…

this is the future the libs want

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Smugworth posted:

this is the future the libs want

isn't this just Amazon Go with the serial numbers filed off

dumb as poo poo regardless

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

LIGHT ALARM

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Walmart has these retrofit dusk-to-dawn LED light bulbs for $2 each that you put in your exterior light fixtures and you don’t have to worry about turning on or off the outside lights ever again. Just put the bulb in, flip the switch on, and leave it on permanently. The lights turn on at dusk and off at dawn automatically.

Haven’t had to worry about, “did I turn the outside lights on?” before going to bed or coming home to a dark place after a night out for two years now. It rules so much.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
Don’t care, One cannot beat a good candle in the Eve!

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

You Are A Elf posted:

Walmart has these retrofit dusk-to-dawn LED light bulbs for $2 each that you put in your exterior light fixtures and you don’t have to worry about turning on or off the outside lights ever again. Just put the bulb in, flip the switch on, and leave it on permanently. The lights turn on at dusk and off at dawn automatically.

Haven’t had to worry about, “did I turn the outside lights on?” before going to bed or coming home to a dark place after a night out for two years now. It rules so much.

How does this work?! I should get a poo poo load of these because my roommate don't know how to turn off a drat light when he leaves a room

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
lmfao how mad is the author of this article about lightbulbs

e: turns out not very, the tone is like, "the country has been plunged into darkness, anyway honestly nbd we've already handled everything"

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Saalkin posted:

How does this work?! I should get a poo poo load of these because my roommate don't know how to turn off a drat light when he leaves a room

They have light sensors in the base. I have one in my driveway lamppost, it comes on at twilight.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

my solar powered calculator just runs faster under incandescents

thing takes a beat and a half just to add two numbers with these damnable LED contraptions shining down

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Saalkin posted:

Well, they work by detecting light levels from a little red sensor on the body, mainly UV light from the sun. When there’s not enough sunlight detected, they turn on. They really wouldn’t work indoors unless it’s maybe a table lamp by a window in a dark house? They are a retrofit bulb to turn a switched exterior light into a dusk-to-dawn light.

EDIT: yeah, this.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

They have light sensors in the base. I have one in my driveway lamppost, it comes on at twilight.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Bad Purchase posted:

i've still got an incandescent bulb in one ancient lamp that refuses to light cfl or led bulbs for some reason. it also has about the thinnest A/C power cord i've ever seen, a 2 prong connector that sits loose from the wall, and the on/off switch is a knob you twist that's about a centimeter from the extremely hot bulb and i've nearly but not quite burned myself on it many times over the years

i'll fight like hell to keep this lamp, you can take it from my cold, dead by electrocution hands

i'd love to see this lamp (post your lamp)

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

I've been hearing about these retrofit lightbulbs for awhile now and I think I'm ready to take the plunge on a few. I really feel like retrofits could be a game changer for my lighting fixtures. Kinda wondering if you can still find any incandescent retrofit lightbulbs... Maybe on the deep web?...

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight
More like the land of 10,000 laws am I right

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

i'd love to see this lamp (post your lamp)

nothing special, just an ordinary old lamp

Only registered members can see post attachments!

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Bad Purchase posted:

i've still got an incandescent bulb in one ancient lamp that refuses to light cfl or led bulbs for some reason. it also has about the thinnest A/C power cord i've ever seen, a 2 prong connector that sits loose from the wall, and the on/off switch is a knob you twist that's about a centimeter from the extremely hot bulb and i've nearly but not quite burned myself on it many times over the years

i'll fight like hell to keep this lamp, you can take it from my cold, dead by electrocution hands

This lamp with the twisty knob, is it a dimmer, by any chance? I still keep two table lamps around with the same twist knobs and they are built-in dimmers for incandescent bulbs. Dimmable LEDs will technically work in them, but they only kind of get slightly dimmer from full power before turning off completely. With an incandescent, those babies dim down to the faintest orange glow on the filament before turning off.

I keep them around as night lights and use 15 watt bulbs in them to dim them down to a faint orange glow at night in case I get up in the middle of the night for a drink of water or to take a piss or something. They are the only incandescent lights I still use, and yes, I’ll fight like hell to keep them, too.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Our microwave is one of those vent hood combos (Penny’s on the dollar) and the light underneath is an incandescent. I tried replacing it with an LED and it wouldn’t shut off. I’m guessing the circuit is always drawing current, not enough to light up the incandescent but enough to power the LED. I’m not an electrician so I don’t really know but I guess if they come to take my microwave light it’ll be time to take to the streets.

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

Just use fluorescent light tubes because they give off nice light and you can use them to disfigure your significant other in a hardcore deathmatch

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

You Are A Elf posted:

This lamp with the twisty knob, is it a dimmer, by any chance? I still keep two table lamps around with the same twist knobs and they are built-in dimmers for incandescent bulbs. Dimmable LEDs will technically work in them, but they only kind of get slightly dimmer from full power before turning off completely. With an incandescent, those babies dim down to the faintest orange glow on the filament before turning off.

yeah, one of the problems with swapping to LEDs is they have a higher voltage floor for actually conducting than an incandescent wire, so you can only cut power so much before it just goes out instead of dimming; you just can't get around the 0.7V drop from the silicon. Typically you'll get around this by keeping the voltage either constantly high or low and modifying how often it's at those levels - duty cycle manipulation is a hell of a thing.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

You Are A Elf posted:

nope, just on/off. used to have a dimmer in one of the bathrooms for the 4 mirror/vanity lights but got rid of it when the wiring had to be redone to install an exhaust vent and fan. but yeah, CFLs didn't dim at all in that thing and dimmable LEDs were ok but not the same

still have a hanging light over the kitchen table with a tiny rear end dimmable bulb in it. it's a terrible lamp, barely provides any light, but my partner bought it and likes how it looks so i tolerate it. i do pray every day for its demise, first thought in my head when i wake and the last thought in my head when i sleep. the dreams belong to me however.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Sinnesota

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

You Are A Elf posted:

That doesn’t help me cause I have to be sure the lights stay off until 10pm to be absolutely sure no Mormon missionaries harass me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

just put up a sign that threatens to spritz all proselytizers with coffee and/or santorum, that should do it for ya