Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Smugworth posted:

What say you GBS? Have they improved your life over the alternative? Will you miss them?

1 That's not what illegal means
2 Edison only bought the patent

Absolutely terrible journalism. I hope somebody gets fired over this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I like all my adjustable temp white/rgb LED bulbs

CFLs was a dire time and I'm glad we're past it

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
LED lights are actually really poo poo to me. Too white, too bright, makes me dizzy. I like the CFL ones.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Topsy finally has her revenge

Owned by an murder-elephant from beyond the grave, loving brutal

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Do CFLs have the same problems for people with sensory issues as regular fluorescent bulbs?

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
hungarian paprika is banned in minnesota for being "too spicy now"

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Howard Beale posted:

Same reason they banned ketchup and you can only find catsup on the shelves

It's still good tho

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

emSparkly posted:

LED lights are actually really poo poo to me. Too white, too bright, makes me dizzy. I like the CFL ones.

Get ones that aren't white, there's even programmable rgb ones. They dim and all that jazz. They make sunlight ones. I get it I'm autistic and white lights upset me but they aren't the only option. I use yellowish ones.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

My dad stockpiled a bunch of old bulbs when they started to phase them out. I wonder how many he's still got

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

Thesaurus posted:

My dad stockpiled a bunch of old bulbs when they started to phase them out. I wonder how many he's still got

hes going to be a billionaire, or at least one of the warlords of the after-times

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

If you tell me not to use incandescent bulbs you better believe I’m gonna use em even more. Lamps, sconces, inside the fridge, when I have an idea, you name it there’s an incandescent bulb shining that good hot light for all to see. I just think it’s funny that’s all.

lmfao

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Howard Beale posted:

Don’t tell Smugworth but the janjerel they sell in Minnesota is a watered down version of the stuff the rest of the country gets.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Don’t tell Smugworth but the janjerel they sell in Minnesota is a watered down version of the stuff the rest of the country gets.

I'm well aware of "near janj" and get my stuff from Wisconsin. Next

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

loving rural rear end discourse in here

Move to somewhere civilized lmaooo

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Thesaurus posted:

The libertarian guy at my work did this. He got fired for smashing a bunch of cars in the parking lot with a brick.

Griz
May 21, 2001

I. M. Gei posted:

Do CFLs have the same problems for people with sensory issues as regular fluorescent bulbs?

they don't flicker when they're going bad, they just look like poo poo all the time and take forever to warm up.

I found some tube lights at Lowes that have a little switch on the end to cycle through three different color temperatures.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

dervival posted:

isn't this just Amazon Go with the serial numbers filed off

dumb as poo poo regardless

never seen a store gimme uncanny valley vibes before

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

yeah if your friend goes in make sure they didn't get replaced by a doppelganger while inside, had to put down a couple coworkers due to that a few years back

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
MN owns and is a state that is awesome in this country that is otherwise a shithole.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I pronounce it “mini soda”

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Extra Large Marge posted:

The libertarian guy at my work did this. He got fired for smashing a bunch of cars in the parking lot with a brick.

was he that upset he couldnt find more of the old bulbs

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
democrats want the good light to be illegal so everything looks drab like under communism

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Private Cumshoe posted:

democrats want the good light to be illegal so everything looks drab like under communism

thanks u 🅱️, thank u squad!

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

SpeedFreek posted:

Clickbait!

There are three uses I can think of where standard bulbs are close to the best way to do it.

-Testing protection circuits. A multimeter has too high of an input impedance and the burden of the filament is enough to test if contacts are closed or if you are measuring bleed through from a coil for example.

-Ground fault detection. On a battery system the positive and negative should measure about 63V to ground, connect a light bulb to positive and ground and a second bulb to negative and ground. If one is brighter than the other then there is a ground fault, modern battery chargers should indicate this but most of these systems are anything but modern.

-Heat, the cheapest heater I can think of is a 100w bulb. Good for animals, condensation control, keeping pipes from freezing in some situations.

Otherwise old school bulbs can go gently caress off, LEDs are great now and the power company mails me a free box of them every year.

40 watt appliance bulbs will still be available. You don't need a 100 watt for testing protection circuits. Heat bulbs are not part of the ban.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

MN owns and is a state that is awesome in this country that is otherwise a shithole.

Its no Maine. Reason 1: No ocean access.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

redshirt posted:

Motherfucker lake superior is right loving there

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Smugworth posted:

Motherfucker lake superior is right loving there

Lake Superior is an incredible lake, no doubt, but it's also not the Atlantic Ocean.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

redshirt posted:

Lake Superior is an incredible lake, no doubt, but it's also not the Atlantic Ocean.

Just a short boat ride away.
Show some respect.

luv2shit
May 15, 2023

i cant believe they made these thigns illegal

covidstomper58
Nov 8, 2020

Can you still remove the socket part and put various herbal concoctions in the glass and hold it under a heat source and inhale the vapors? Is that somehow illegal now?

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

covidstomper58 posted:

Can you still remove the socket part and put various herbal concoctions in the glass and hold it under a heat source and inhale the vapors? Is that somehow illegal now?

Yes, as long as the piece you're removing has an led connected to it.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
How will I half-assedly make a vape bulb for my weed?

What, you can buy a specially built vaporizer for THC? That do the same thing but better? And is somehow legal in my state?

Well, without a free swinging incandescent bulb, how could I recreate the music video for Gone Away by The Offspring?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40V9_1PMUGM

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
All those years of shoving light bulbs in my rear end is going to pay off on the Minnesota black market.

Ea Nasir
Jul 17, 2023

by vyelkin

Internet Old One posted:

All those years of shoving light bulbs in my rear end is going to pay off on the Minnesota black market.

minnesota sounds like a rough place if you need anti-rape measures that extreme

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

redshirt posted:

:wrong:

lake superior literally connect to the atlantic

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

emSparkly posted:

Mods?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
lake inferior

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Minnesota is both cool and good

Cops still suck though, but cops suck everywhere.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

kntfkr posted:

lake inferior

That's Lake Minnetonka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

karthun posted:

That's Lake Minnetonka.

just because flat earth people are mad that it was used to show curvature of the earth doesn't make it inferior tho