Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Benny Harvey posted:

Is night soil really that bad? It's also a thing in China. Is it that much worse than using horse manure?

E: or guano for that matter.

For crops grown for human consumption, yes it's much worse. The sort of bacteria and parasites found in human poo poo are de facto the kind that can thrive in humans, which makes it a big deal with even the slightest bit of contamination.

Using horse manure to fertilize crops grown for horse feed has similar issues - ideally you'd use manure from a different animal for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

You can process it to make it safe - pasteurisation and partial compostation, effectively. At least one company in the USA does that.

However, there's a 2nd problem: people take medication and piss and poo poo it out. If you mix the piss (where afaik most of the medication leaves the body) and poo poo, you'll get all kinds of fun chemicals in your fertilizer. It's fiiiine in the short term, but it's probably really bad for the population as a whole, if you do it year after year after year.

The proper way to do it, is to extract the actual plant nutrients from the man manure, and turn those into artificial fertilizer the same way we do with mined minerals.

In any case, for 3rd world countries that *really* need fertilizer, i think the first step towards healthier fertilizer, would be to heat the night soil they have to 70ish degrees which will already get rid of all living parasites and also most bacteria. You should be able to do that with the sun's power. Wood fire on rainy days i guess.

LimaBiker fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jul 21, 2023

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

Jean-Paul Shartre posted:

Actually light is the benevolent gift emanating from the wisdom of Dear Leader.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

Maybe he wanted a Wikipedia article. Ever considered doing something with your life worth articling? Didn't think so

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

LimaBiker posted:

You can process it to make it safe - pasteurisation and partial compostation, effectively. At least one company in the USA does that.

However, there's a 2nd problem: people take medication and piss and poo poo it out. If you mix the piss (where afaik most of the medication leaves the body) and poo poo, you'll get all kinds of fun chemicals in your fertilizer. It's fiiiine in the short term, but it's probably really bad for the population as a whole, if you do it year after year after year.

AFAIK it's not terribly different from other compost. Done properly, the compost itself will generate enough heat to kill the microbes in question- it works the same way with plant diseases if you compost diseased plants. The risks are much higher though and the law of large numbers dictates that there will be problems if you try to do it on a civilizational scale, especially in a place with poor infrastructure where you may be doing the composting around the village, the crops themselves, or water sources where runoff can cause contamination from poo poo that's still being processed.

I'm not sure how big the medication thing is going to be in rural north korea :iiam:

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Imagine being this guy's family. After all his car kicking shenanigans, the phone rings. You pick it up and think "god, what now? hope he's not running face first into north korea exclaiming 'ha haha ha' or the like"

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Poop eaters itt

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
enough dancing around, let's cut to the chase and call it what it is - night soil is poopie

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

LimaBiker posted:

The proper way to do it, is to extract the actual plant nutrients from the man manure, and turn those into artificial fertilizer the same way we do with mined minerals.

In any case, for 3rd world countries that *really* need fertilizer, i think the first step towards healthier fertilizer, would be to heat the night soil they have to 70ish degrees which will already get rid of all living parasites and also most bacteria. You should be able to do that with the sun's power. Wood fire on rainy days i guess.

70ish Celsius?

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

LimaBiker posted:

That one furry that was microwaving diapers to reuse them was right then?

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Mozi posted:

enough dancing around, let's cut to the chase and call it what it is - night soil is poopie

Poop is people.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

teemolover42069 posted:

weed is legal in north korea...thats all i need to know baby lets go

Must suck to get the munchies and have nothing to eat but shitted grass.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
North Korea has good meth too.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Beartaco posted:

No need to go digging around cspam

Words to post by

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

poverty goat posted:

AFAIK it's not terribly different from other compost. Done properly, the compost itself will generate enough heat to kill the microbes in question- it works the same way with plant diseases if you compost diseased plants. The risks are much higher though and the law of large numbers dictates that there will be problems if you try to do it on a civilizational scale, especially in a place with poor infrastructure where you may be doing the composting around the village, the crops themselves, or water sources where runoff can cause contamination from poo poo that's still being processed.

I'm not sure how big the medication thing is going to be in rural north korea :iiam:

http://humanurehandbook.com

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

bossy lady posted:

Lmao

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I microwave all my underwear. Saves wear and tear from washing.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
I supposed irradiated, shitted undies would technically be sterile…

What kind of radiation can pinworms survive against?

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Poohs Packin posted:

Poop eaters itt

Professional Poop eaters.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Best Korea utilizes ingenious tactics to ensure the health and prosperity of its people.

Irradiating the people's soil to ensure it's usefulness is a new genius farming tactic that the great leader invented post death

Herbicidal Maniac
Jun 3, 2008

You will be the effigy I burn, infused with all the traits that make them the detestable little goblins they are.

I actually weirdly studied parasites and animal Bio. If you or your animals are consuming only plant matter and are generally parasite free, you don't have a drat thing to worry about. I had a Prof who would offer deer poo poo to people to try (he himself ate a chocolate covered caramel). If you have any parasites or generally a bubbly tummy, a scientific term, then you really need to be careful. Someone said pasteurization, but boiling the poo poo out of it works too.

The problem is that many parasites have a cyst life stage which can outlive a lot of things and will make it's way into your muscle tissue, gut, or anywhere else that's somewhat ignored by the immune system.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo

bossy lady posted:

That was uncle Buck. Pulling an eleven-inch parasitic worm from a DPRK defector is something else.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

The famous NK soldier's defection, wounding and subsequent recovery was noted in the press as having complications due to multiple parasites. He didn't just have a tapeworm or whatever, but apparently parasites growing in and/or around his organs, maybe in the muscles like trichinosis? In any case it sounded pretty drat grim.

It's apparently not just a matter of farming methods and food consumption, but the most basic medical care for the enlisted isn't there. I'd hate to think what the average scrub is walking around with.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Herbicidal Maniac posted:

I actually weirdly studied parasites and animal Bio. If you or your animals are consuming only plant matter and are generally parasite free, you don't have a drat thing to worry about. I had a Prof who would offer deer poo poo to people to try (he himself ate a chocolate covered caramel). If you have any parasites or generally a bubbly tummy, a scientific term, then you really need to be careful. Someone said pasteurization, but boiling the poo poo out of it works too.

The problem is that many parasites have a cyst life stage which can outlive a lot of things and will make it's way into your muscle tissue, gut, or anywhere else that's somewhat ignored by the immune system.

Did you eat some of the deer poo poo OP?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I study things weirdly too :respek:

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Herbicidal Maniac posted:

Someone said pasteurization, but boiling the poo poo out of it works too.

if you boil the poo poo out of poo poo then what's left??? doesn't make sense!

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

Big rear end On Fire posted:

The famous NK soldier's defection , wounding and subsequent recovery was noted in the press as having complications due to multiple parasites. He didn't just have a tapeworm or whatever, but apparently parasites growing in and/or around his organs, maybe in the muscles like trichinosis? In any case it sounded pretty drat grim.

Thought this said defecation.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Big rear end On Fire posted:

The famous NK soldier's defection, wounding and subsequent recovery was noted in the press as having complications due to multiple parasites. He didn't just have a tapeworm or whatever, but apparently parasites growing in and/or around his organs, maybe in the muscles like trichinosis? In any case it sounded pretty drat grim.

It's apparently not just a matter of farming methods and food consumption, but the most basic medical care for the enlisted isn't there. I'd hate to think what the average scrub is walking around with.

jokes aside and realtalk: if you actually read the articles, it's not that he had crazy parasites outside of his intestines, it's that getting hit with six or seven bullets put his usual intestinal parasites into the rest of his abdomen. that added an extra emergency complication to his already serious wounds.

it's not that different from a regular abdomen wound. everyone stores poo poo in there, but if a bullet pierces the poop chute then a serious wound gets extra serious because the poop is not supposed to be inundating your liver. just add tapeworms to that. bad time. i'm glad the dude lived.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

kntfkr posted:

North Korea has good meth too.

That'll help with the hunger! God drat these people are loving on the ball

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Man meth and a lean population? Wow north Korea's the place to go it seems

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
I hope he remembered to bring his passport. :ohdear:

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Guy has clearly lost his mind, I feel a bit sorry for him.
When I went full bingo bongo bonkers I "only" woke up in England after 20 days with 90 stitches, a new girlfriend and a "joose4lyfe" neck tattoo. Amateur hour compared to this total legend.

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Benny Harvey posted:

Is night soil really that bad? It's also a thing in China. Is it that much worse than using horse manure?

E: or guano for that matter.

Its perfectly fine IF you sterilize the poop before use. In America (and I'm sure other countries) the "solids" from municipal sewer systems are routinely used to fertilize crops with no issues. Its all heat sterilized before being sent to farms.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Breaking out my (outdated, I'm sure) studies from AG science....

Feeding animals that have known parasites, prions or other diseases back to the same species will likely cause a wide spread outbreak.

Mad Cow disease ect.

Not all diseases are zoonotic, so they don't easily transfer.

But when they do...

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
Prions are largely caused by consuming the diseased brains of your own species.

Don't grind up your dead cattle to save a dollar.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
And Def don't be eating things that you know are contaminated with decomposing dead humans

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i thought this was a free country

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

ate loads of cheap 90s UK beef

might have some sneaky cow disease hiding my brain

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Man meth and a lean population? Wow north Korea's the place to go it seems

Best Korea not contributing to climate change excluding nuclear rockets and deforestation. They are like a shining star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Mozi posted:

i thought this was a free country

Treeko is just saying that to scare you off and hog all the good people brain grown cropsfor themselves :mad: