Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ok so each jpeg file now has to have a set of coordinates that are relative to the image to determine how the image should be shown as a thumbnail

neat idea but I want to know how to get it in the latest jpeg spec

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
can you rotate a jpeg safely

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
its royalty free :negative:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
given my puny fingers I'd drop the monitor and it wouldnt be safe for the funko pops that live under my monitor stand

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
can't you?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
jpeg is actually friggen magic like burn a witch at a stake magic

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MrMoo posted:

In 90° increments, yes.

i presume you decide it to some bit planes, do a few nested for loops and move the pixels around, and re-encode

cool thing GIMP used to let you do was let you encode jpegs at arbitrarily low quality. adobe photoshop usually enforces a free-limiting minimum limit to the quality which frankly we didn’t ask for

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

i presume you decode it to some bit planes, do a few nested for loops and move the pixels around, and re-encode

cool thing GIMP used to let you do was let you encode jpegs at arbitrarily low quality. adobe photoshop usually enforces a free-limiting minimum limit to the quality which frankly we didn’t ask for

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
quote is not edit

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
when I noticed the footsteps in the sand went from two sets to one set I asked the lord why he had abandoned and me fobbed me off with some excuse but he did tell me that even tho he wasn’t reliable that irfanview was reliable and could he relied upon to be trustworthy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MrMoo posted:

You rebuild the AC coefficients in each DCT block whilst keeping the same DC. So basically decoding a couple of layers but not the entire image.

Or, just use one of the bajillion apps and libraries that implement it already:

http://jpegclub.org/losslessapps.html

There's a lot of interesting stuff that can be done in the frequency domain without a full decode,

https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1907/1907.11503.pdf

you should make a
youtube channel

tbf jpeg is pretty good. heif seems much worse, by comparison

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I love this poo poo

like on my
tombstone please write “chroma subsampling” so that people think I understood computers

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the j stands for japanese

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
like jrpg or jpop

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
macro cock blocked