Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

fawning deference posted:

7. Vancouver -- They'll probably trade Miller at the deadline and continue their rebuild. They'll be bad and Pettersson will leave too after this year, as he should

Miller's 7 year extension with a full NMC kicked in on July 1st. The window to trade him has closed, he'll be a canuck for the rest of eternity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

fawning deference posted:

Oh wow, thanks for this. I didn't realize. I can always count on you for Canucks "no, actually" depression.

I am slightly incorrect, beginning in 2027 it remains a no move but the trade protection is only limited to fifteen teams. It's full no trade until then though.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Starsfan posted:

Logan Cooley is likely to be an excellent talent for Arizona if he signs up with them for the season and could very well challenge Bedard for the point total but unlikely to actually take the Calder from him given where he plays lol

Luke Hughes and Brandt Clarke should also be in the conversation but it's very much Bedard’s to lose. Maybe he'll continue the generational prospect tradition and not actually win the Calder for some reason. Gretzky was ineligible, Lindros finished 4th, Ovi beat Sid and McDavid got hurt. Only Mario bucked the trend.

ThinkTank fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jul 27, 2023

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mr. Kite posted:

But Ovi is better than Sid.

That's certainly up for debate now, but in terms of them as prospects Sid was a much bigger deal.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Sid also just had the 6th best points scoring season by a 35 year old ever with 93, so I don't really question his longevity either. Gretzky only had 102 at the same age. We just got used to Crosby just being a flawless hockey robot (with an Achilles brain).

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Atlantic
1. Toronto - They kept the core intact and added depth, I think they finally win the division (Canadian div doesn't count).
2. Boston - I discounted them heavily last year so I'm just gonna assume they'll be good again
3. Florida - Likely not a bubble team but they're starting to atrophy depth
4. Tampa (WC1) - Still good and I just refuse to accept they'll be out of the playoffs until proven otherwise
5. Detroit - I think will surprise and just miss but still a year away from the playoffs.
6. Buffalo - Levi is not ready to be a starter and they scramble into a bad trade for one after a slow start
7. Ottawa - As the latest young team on the rise, they're either going to be the Canucks of 2021 or the Devils of last year. No in-between. I say the former because this is Canada.
8. Montreal - Very bad

Metropolitan
1. New York Rangers - A good team that has consistently underwhelmed I think they put it together this year and win the division.
2. Carolina - Consistently not quite good enough
3. New Jersey - Good but probably not as good as last year now folks see them as a contender. I see this season being a harsh lesson in humility.
4. Pittsburgh (WC2) - Karlsson plays under 60 games but they still scrape their way back to the playoffs. They still go nowhere.
5. Philadelphia - One of those zero expectation teams where someone like Noah Cates is gonna put up 65+ points for no reason.
6. Washington - Bad but hey it's not about winning it's about making Wayner sad.
7. New York Islanders - The oldest team meets father time.
8. Columbus - Bad and always will be.

Central
1. Colorado - I guess? This division stinks.
2. Winnipeg - Why not? They're old but at least Wheeler leaving makes it a little cheerier to play there.
3. St. Louis - Likely not going to be a recurring threat but they've got a 100pt season and a 2nd round exit in em.
4. Minnesota - Never bet on Minnesota to do anything.
5. Arizona - Another low expectation team that's starting to go with the youth movement. If nothing else they should be fun and get some traction on instagram reels.
6. Dallas - I feel like they're gonna nosedive but they're genuinely no reason why I think that. The component parts are all there but I sense it's gonna be a weird season for them.
7. Chicago - generational talents get exactly one terrible year before exploding. Bedard easily wins the Calder.
8. Nashville - They should've started the rebuild properly over the summer but this year will at least force them into one.

Pacific
1. Edmonton - I hate to say it but likely the best team in the West and probably the NHL this year.
2. Los Angeles - Very boring and forgettable.
3. Vegas - Seems like an inevitable cup hangover year but I'm sure they don't care. They'll turn it on after February.
4. Calgary (WC1) - Last year made no sense they're better than that. Not much, but better.
5. Seattle (WC2) - Also not a very good team but still probably borderline in the playoffs. It'll be tight between them and Vancouver but they take it I think.
6. Vancouver - They'll start slow again, mark my words. I see them hanging around the playoff bubble but falling 2-3 points short. This is the most optimistic I can be.
7. Anaheim - Why does Zegras not have a contract? What are they doing?
8. San Jose - At least the seem to recognize they'll be bad and are doing a tear down rebuild.

Stanley Cup Finals: Edmonton v. NY Rangers - Oilers in 5

Awards
Hart Trophy: McDavid (duh)
Rocket Richard: McDavid
Art Ross: McDavid
Vezina: Shesterkin
Norris: Josi
Calder: Bedard
Selke: Marner
Lady Byng: Marner
Jack Adams: Rick Bowness
Presidents Trophy: Edmonton Oilers

(add your own questions if you want)...
Who gets Celebrini?: Whoever picks 2nd, Eiserman goes 1st to San Jose
Most improved team: Winnipeg by points, overall LAK.
Which team is going to fall off a cliff?: Dallas but as I said IDK why
First coach to be fired: DJ Smith
Dark horse pick to go deep in the playoffs, East: Boston (if they count)
Dark horse pick to go deep in the playoffs, West: Calgary
Where will Erik Karlsson wind up? Pittsburgh boy I'm a genius
Will McDavid top last season's 153 points? No roughly 130-140
Which goalie is going to be unexpectedly incredible? Alexander Georgiev
Which goalie who was good last season is going to unexpectedly completely go to dogshit? Jake Oettinger

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mr. Kite posted:

How do you see the Blues gaining 20 points over last season?

Binnington is almost certainly not going to be anywhere near as bad as he was and Kyrou/Thomas have another level IMO. Plus they traded some bad defencemen. I think they'll just be better by committee and in general this sport is very random.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Mike_V posted:

??

The defense is basically exactly the same and Binnington will probably play just as poorly.

Why did I have it in my head they'd traded Colton Parayko to the Capitals?