Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
This maybe feels a bit early with some interesting signings and possibly trades to come, but here's what I've got right now

Atlantic
1. Toronto - Surprisingly effective offseason, maybe Matthews is finally healthy again and pops off.
2. Boston - Contingent on Bergeron coming back. I do think there's a slight potential for disaster here, but I can't fathom them falling too far at the moment.
3. Florida - That regular season luck should even out and get them comfortably in. Kind of thin though, so any major injury or goaltending making GBS threads the bed and they could maybe miss.
4. Tampa Bay (WC) - I dunno about them missing like Jfresh has, but their long stretches of poo poo play are worrisome.
5. Detroit - Really good offseason, but there's not a lot of top end after Seider/Larkin/DeBrincat. Definitely a darkhorse playoff contender though and I like them over Ottawa/Buffalo.
6. Ottawa - Such a bizarre team. There's a lot of talent there and occasionally they just run teams over. Don't trust them whatsoever but I could see them sneaking in.
7. Buffalo - Overperformed their fancies pretty heavily last season, but maybe there's enough natural youth progression to overcome that. I think 2024-2025 is more likely though (unless Levi is just nutty off the bat).
8. Montreal - Seems like the rebuild is going fine enough but they're clearly #8 here. Interesting year for Slafkovsky.

Metropolitan
1. Carolina - Best team in the league although their window may be closing soon.
2. New Jersey - A legitimate Cup contender, which still feels weird to say. Lots of competition though and the goaltending is still a big question mark. Interesting to see if Nemec gets in there.
3. New York Rangers - They need more progression from Kakko/Laf, but I think they'll get it. Would not be surprised to see them in the SCF.
4. Pittsburgh (WC) - I think they had a really solid offseason, and that their depth is considerably better. That being said, they missed the playoffs last year with a healthy Crosby/Malkin/Letang/Guentzel, and obviously those guys aren't getting any younger.
5. New York Islanders - Certainly capable of making it again, I just like the Pens a bit better. So much of their team rests on Sorokin.
6. Washington- I guess if you buy Backstrom/Wilson bouncing back they could make it, but that's a risky purchase.
7. Columbus - Should be significantly better, but there's just too much ground to make up this year. Love their team going forward though if like even half of their insane system pans out.
8. Philadelphia - Danny Big Bucks is doing it the right way, but the pain will continue in the short term.

Central
1. Dallas - Possibly the favorite in the West -- great top end, good depth, great goaltending.
2. Colorado - I feel like they're coming back with a vengeance this year, their top end is just so good.
3. Minnesota - Should be just a good hockey team again, but I don't see them beating Dallas/Colorado.
4. Winnipeg (WC) - Contingent on them keeping Hellebuyck, but the Dubois trade was a great one.
5. St. Louis - They're fine, I guess. Don't see playoffs though.
6. Nashville - They missed last year with a herculean season from Saros, and the roster in front of him is worse.
7. Arizona - After getting maybe the best player in the 2022 draft with Cooley, they seemingly bungled the poo poo out of 2023.
8. Chicago - Bedard can't make miracles happen.

Pacific
1. Edmonton - The best thing you can say about their playoff failures is that the league feels pretty open at the moment, particularly the West.
2. Vegas - Should be right there again. Maybe their castaway goaltending bites them in the rear end in the playoffs eventually.
3. Los Angeles - Don't love their offseason, I feel like they're being a little impatient. Big season for Byfield and can't wait to see what Clarke can do.
4. Seattle (WC) - Also didn't love their offseason, but they're still pretty good.
5. Calgary - Could easily sneak in if the entire team isn't playing like they want out.
6. Vancouver - A darkhorse playoff contender if there is one in the West. A big season out of Demko gets them close I think.
7. San Jose - I get them wanting max value for EK but they really need to put everything into the rebuild. Their system has gotten better but it's still pretty thin compared to other bottom feeders.
8. Anaheim - Carlsson over Fantilli was a hell of gamble. I think Carlsson will still be good, possibly great, but I wouldn't have made that choice.

Stanley Cup Finals
Carolina over Dallas in 6 games

Awards
Hart Trophy: Connor McDavid
Rocket Richard: Connor McDavid
Art Ross: Connor McDavid
Vezina: Igor Shesterkin
Norris: Cale Makar
Calder: Connor Bedard
Selke: Nico Hischier
Lady Byng: Jack Hughes
Jack Adams: Peter DeBoer
Presidents Trophy: Carolina

Who gets Celebrini?: Chicago (cursed universe)
Most improved team: Columbus
Which team is going to fall off a cliff?: Not sure I see a big faller. Maybe Boston if Bergeron doesn't come back.
First coach to be fired: Craig Berube
Dark horse pick to go deep in the playoffs, East: Rangers I guess, but I don't see them as a dark horse.
Dark horse pick to go deep in the playoffs, West: Don't see anyone outside the top 4 making noise.
Where will Erik Karlsson wind up? Pittsburgh
Will McDavid top last season's 153 points? No.
Which goalie is going to be unexpectedly incredible? Maybe Andersen behind that crazy team.
Which goalie who was good last season is going to unexpectedly completely go to dogshit? Levi

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
So Bergeron didn't come back. Not sure it changes my prediction that much. Maybe I'd swap Boston and Florida but I don't believe Boston drops out.