Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Whistling rear end in a top hat posted:

i think i saw a few people mention xenogears...i'm about 10 hours into it right now and tbh it's pretty disappointing. there's a *lot* of mediocre story stuff, a lot of very, very tedious back and forth in order to unlock progression at certain points (the poo poo you have to do at the Bledavik market is unforgivably bad & boring game design) and weirdly for an RPG, very little combat and exploration. and what combat you do have is generally way too easy. there are some cool and unique things about it but the experience as a whole is very rough around the edges and by the developer's own admission in later years it's an unfinished game.

also just finished SotN and that on the other hand really is a masterpiece and deserves all the praise it gets.

you're a dumbass, the only disappointing thing about xenogears is that they weren't given enough time to do the 2nd disc properly. blame square

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
poo poo I forgot about Omegaboost and the Ghost in the Shell game which were both sick

Also does anybody remember a DBZ game that was 2d but with a 3D background and it had this neat tug of war style gameplay?

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005

tmfc posted:

you're a dumbass, the only disappointing thing about xenogears is that they weren't given enough time to do the 2nd disc properly. blame square

it's a cool, unique game that has some fun moments, but i'm playing it *right now* at the age of [cough cough] and not 10 years old when you don't mind stuff like a game's progression being gated by talking to the same 3 NPCs with 20 iterations of "leave town and come back" in between just to move the story along. a lot of yall are seeing it with rose tinted glasses...ill eat my words if anyone here has played it in the past few years but i stand firm that theres some very tedious poo poo that other RPGs from that era didnt do, so its not just "game design from its era" type stuff

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

it's a cool, unique game that has some fun moments, but i'm playing it *right now* at the age of [cough cough] and not 10 years old when you don't mind stuff like a game's progression being gated by talking to the same 3 NPCs with 20 iterations of "leave town and come back" in between just to move the story along. a lot of yall are seeing it with rose tinted glasses...ill eat my words if anyone here has played it in the past few years but i stand firm that theres some very tedious poo poo that other RPGs from that era didnt do, so its not just "game design from its era" type stuff

I played and beat it again in 2020 and you are dead wrong

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Boo hoo baby doesn't want to grind in an rpg

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

track day bro! posted:

poo poo I forgot about Omegaboost and the Ghost in the Shell game which were both sick

Also does anybody remember a DBZ game that was 2d but with a 3D background and it had this neat tug of war style gameplay?

I don't think that's Ultimate Battle 22, maybe Legends?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFazu7fByu4

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Kazvall posted:

My mom had me cover my eyes for this post

lol

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Been playing syphon filter lately and it's better than I remember.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Namtab posted:

This was the first game I owned when I got a Playstation. I must have played that opening level dozens of times. The taser.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

nostalgia isnt real

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
any time i go back to something i liked as a kid i find out i was right

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

elf help book posted:

This

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

honestly ive found i liked most of the games i liked as a kid now as an adult because i understand the mechanics better and appreciate the game design more

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

elf help book posted:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

this

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Namtab posted:

I found my old copy in a bin downstairs today and I was wondering if it held up, I'm excited to jump in soon

trying to jack off posted:

honestly ive found i liked most of the games i liked as a kid now as an adult because i understand the mechanics better and appreciate the game design more

this

tawal
Feb 7, 2012

Namtab posted:

I loved syphon filter so much I got a pair of parachute cargo pants and when playing with my friends, I would run and roll like gabe

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

elf help book posted:

nostalgia isnt real

nostalgia is real, and ftw.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xea7EMFMCDw&t=2s

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
a ps1 game i like a lot is Carnage Heart

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

that sounds good. ill check it out thanks.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I threw my old copy of Medal of Honor in the PS3 this year and that game is still so impressive. The visuals/sound have so much polish and the missions are extremely cool and replayable

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I threw my old copy of Medal of Honor in the PS3 this year and that game is still so impressive. The visuals/sound have so much polish and the missions are extremely cool and replayable

There's a reason it was one of those games that kicked off the ww2 shooter craze.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Kull the Conqueror posted:

I played those first two games to death. The mission briefings that used old WW2 newsreel footage added so much to the atmosphere.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

The PS1 MoH games kick rear end and they have modern style twin stick controls built in as an option.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I think there is also a mouse injector tool for MoH: Underground, which is neat and sorta game breaking lol

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"
Getting a PSX for Christmas, my first CD-based console, and sitting in awe at the FMV cutscenes in Worms.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ckbNvrM83A&t=113s

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Been on vacation the last few days, sitting in a big Adirondack chair, toes dipped into the lake, playing Mega Man Legends and the Driver tutorial

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

i have no idea what kind of game driver is like because i’ve never gotten past the tutorial

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

its awesome, every mission is a car chase from a 70s movie. too bad the tutorial gatekept so many people lol

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
people covered a lot of the ones i wanted to mention already lol. but check out twisted metal! 2 is the best by a big margin but all of them are at least worth checking out a lil. even if for the later ones a lot of that is thinking how cool and a lil funny it is that you cant stream twisted metal 4 at all because the soundtrack is like half rob zombie.

games i can nth as good ones to play:
-medievil
-legend of dragoon
-crash team racing
-final fantasy tactics
-nuclear strike
-street fighter alpha 3 (world tour mode owns)
-einhander
-brave fencer musashi

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

people covered a lot of the ones i wanted to mention already lol. but check out twisted metal! 2 is the best by a big margin but all of them are at least worth checking out a lil. even if for the later ones a lot of that is thinking how cool and a lil funny it is that you cant stream twisted metal 4 at all because the soundtrack is like half rob zombie.

games i can nth as good ones to play:
-medievil
-legend of dragoon
-crash team racing
-final fantasy tactics
-nuclear strike
-street fighter alpha 3 (world tour mode owns)
-einhander
-brave fencer musashi

it sucks crapcom just uses arcade roms for everything since ps2 without the extra modes, characters, bgm, etc they added for the console releases

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel

Frenz posted:

it sucks crapcom just uses arcade roms for everything since ps2 without the extra modes, characters, bgm, etc they added for the console releases

yeah lol. come on capcom...

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Crap roms

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The cars in Driver 1-2 and Stuntman feel so weighty that when you finally beat a level it feels great. Hopefully either of those games get revived someday.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The tutorial parking garage section of the OG Driver was a watershed moment of my childhood. The sick momentum based poo poo you could do in that game blew my mind.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
survival mode on san francisco, braking hard after the first hill and letting all the cops fly over you into other cars. classic gaming moments. same thing in D2 on havana with the monument in front of where you start

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain