Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The Wheel of Time turns, and streaming Seasons come and pass, leaving episodes that become queued. Queued fades to watched, and even watched is long forgotten when the Seasons that gave it birth comes again. In one season, called the Second Season by some, a Season yet to come, a Season long past, a thread rose in the TVIV forum.

HEY Y'ALL IT'S ALMOST TWO FREAKING YEARS LATER BUT WE FINALLY HAVE A RELEASE DATE AND A SEASON TRAILER!

Season 1 thread is located right here

Love it or hate it (I loved it but I'm a wot freak), season one had its issues. Condensing a large story into only 8 episodes, literally 10,000 production notes from amazon, COVID, a main cast actor turning to dust and returning to the ethereal plain. But season two is a coming,:siren: September 1st, 2023!:siren:

Even better, a trailer!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-1OT1jxuQo

I think there's an interview where someone says they're smooshing plot points from books 2 and 3 together. This means characters and plot points will be condensed or cut, but you gotta accept that is the nature of adapting stories across different mediums and the limitations of being produced by the worlds fifth most valuable company.

Anyway, since this is a books 2-14 spoiler free zone I don't want to post too much about what we do know outside of the trailer so I guess post your non-book reader theories and discussion here and we will kick things off in a couple of months.

If you do wanna spoiler talk or book chat, The Book Barn thread is located right here!

Watch and Find Out!

ONE YEAR LATER fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jul 21, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I'm ready for all that skirt-straightening and braid-tugging to start in full loving force this season!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Maybe a link to the book thread to divert bookposting?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3897992

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Ah, I knew I was forgetting something. I will remember for the season 3 OP in 2027, I promise!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
hey, is this poo poo out yet? I really enjoyed the first season.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Vim Fuego posted:

43 more days, it comes out on September 1st

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Vim Fuego posted:

Soon. 45 days or so.

And yea, i'm stoked. What i've seen looks good, and I like that it doesn't just tell me everything that happening in the trailer.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Can you also link to the previous thread in the OP?

Two years between seasons is at least authentically Wheel of Time. People who are new to the series now get to live the experience of waiting multiple years to learn what happens next. If they’re very lucky, maybe Amazon will die before the series finishes and another production company will be tapped to wrap things up according to the thousands of notes left by Amazon’s executives!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Grundulum posted:

Can you also link to the previous thread in the OP?

Two years between seasons is at least authentically Wheel of Time. People who are new to the series now get to live the experience of waiting multiple years to learn what happens next. If they’re very lucky, maybe Amazon will die before the series finishes and another production company will be tapped to wrap things up according to the thousands of notes left by Amazon’s executives!

YEah, no problem I added one but I did close that thread to wrangle people to this one and I think any season 1 comments can go here.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Trailer already has 1.1 million views after just one day

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Well finally got a trailer and the days are counting down. Did I like season 1? Does it matter? I’m going to keep watching it anyway.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
"i want to know.... how to control it"

that was some terrible delivery lol.

horrible song choice too.

still looking forward to season 2 tho. i wonder how much they're putting in the season, i vaguely remember the first couple books being fairly dense. how many eps we getting?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

crepeface posted:

"i want to know.... how to control it"

that was some terrible delivery lol.

horrible song choice too.

still looking forward to season 2 tho. i wonder how much they're putting in the season, i vaguely remember the first couple books being fairly dense. how many eps we getting?

I think they said Season 2 would slam as much of book 2 and book 3 together as they could with whatever was left over from book 3 going into Season 3 along with book 4. I imagine they're gonna be cutting a bunch of stuff out from the later books because from what I understand the series really just starts spinning its wheels and doing all sorts of really pointless poo poo fairly quickly once you leave the set up books behind.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
As i bounced hard off book 1 because it was soooooo boring, but the show cut out all the boring parts that made me not give a poo poo about any of the characters. This makes me intrested to see what the rest of the story was actually about. I do hope the Dark One is more interesting looking than guy in a suit though.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

nine-gear crow posted:

from what I understand the series really just starts spinning its wheels and doing all sorts of really pointless poo poo fairly quickly once you leave the set up books behind.

No, that's not really true. There are 3 books later in the series where some of the plot lines spin their wheels but it's all related to the overall story. How much of that will get excised is yet to be known, but assuming the show makes it to books 8-10 I imagine they will be able to speed things up but keep the major beats there.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I think one of the main things that bloats the middle books that the show will bypass is just how many dang characters there are. I actually enjoy lots and lots of secondary and tertiary characters in my books, but the show is probably gonna roll a lot of that depth up into a few characters and jettison everything that doesn't fit. It's going to be a wildly different tale in the end but depending on how they handle it there should still be a great story to tell.

I had a few big gripes with the first season, all of which have been talked to death here and elsewhere, but I still rather liked it. Solid B+ in my book, and I'm so starved for Fantasy on TV I'll take pretty much anything at this point. I'm just really curious how much of the problems I had with it are because of the many negative factors outlined in the OP and how much to actually lay at the feet of Rafe. This season seems to be slightly less cursed, production wise, so I'm very excited to see how it plays out.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I'm disappointed that we are once again only getting 8 episodes since this is going to be two books instead of one, but at least it looks like the show finally has a budget, several scenes (and Loial) looked incredibly cheap in season 1.

I think if I just stop expecting this to be an adaptation of the books, and let it be its own thing, then it will be ok.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Hell yeah I'm ready to sniff at men so dang hard

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
But for reals I'm so hype for Meera Syal this season, she's going to be perfect I know it

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Oasx posted:

I'm disappointed that we are once again only getting 8 episodes since this is going to be two books instead of one, but at least it looks like the show finally has a budget, several scenes (and Loial) looked incredibly cheap in season 1.

I think if I just stop expecting this to be an adaptation of the books, and let it be its own thing, then it will be ok.

I think there was an interview that said they made Loial cheap because a book-accurate look would make his every appearance an expensive effects shot and they'd rather have him be available as a major character without justifying it to the bean counters. I'm fine with that.

I hope we get to see more of the cool practical effects Trolloc outfits though. The covid changes at the end of last season really messed up where they should have been around more.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Anyway, since this is a books 2-13 spoiler free zone
Guess I'll just post a bunch of book 14 spoilers then, haha gently caress you! Rand is a Cylon and Perrin uses the ricin cigarette on Moiraine, The Dark One retires to be a lumberjack

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Oasx posted:

I generally liked the look of season 1, except for the CGI and effects of the last two episodes that were massively impacted by Covid.

AFAIK, one reason this season was so delayed is that special effects were and are still a massive bottleneck in the industry right now.

That said, there are Trollocs in 3 frames in the trailer that look really, really funky (during Nynaeve's explosion in front of a thatched hut).

Overall, I really liked the trailer and am very excited about all the stuff that is implied to happen.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

JOHN SKELETON posted:

Guess I'll just post a bunch of book 14 spoilers then, haha gently caress you! Rand is a Cylon and Perrin uses the ricin cigarette on Moiraine, The Dark One retires to be a lumberjack

Uh that was an obviously edited quote and I don't know what you're talking about :ninja:

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

So I’m in the clear for New Spring spoilers still?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Flowing Thot posted:

So I’m in the clear for New Spring spoilers still?

Is "Lan murders a fuckton of Aiel" really a spoiler at this point though? :v:

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Lan kills zero aiel in that book.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Flowing Thot posted:

Lan kills zero aiel in that book.

Dude, spoilers!

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

That should be fine just avoid the super big spoilers like when Lan becomes a Pokemon trainer which is where he picks up his "Death is lighter than a Feather Dance. Duty is heavier than a Mountain Gale"

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

Can't believe we're not allowed to post spoilers like the time Lan used Charizard to burn down that one city.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Don't ask about where Lan did in Laos during the Vietnam War.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I know I've seen a fair few people complain about the song in the trailer, but I actually kind of like it. It's perhaps not the most appropriate for trailer music generally, though the words do seem to match what the show wants to say about the cast, but still a nice song regardless. Anyone know what song it is?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

tsob posted:

I know I've seen a fair few people complain about the song in the trailer, but I actually kind of like it. It's perhaps not the most appropriate for trailer music generally, though the words do seem to match what the show wants to say about the cast, but still a nice song regardless. Anyone know what song it is?

Control, by Halsey I believe

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

tsob posted:

I know I've seen a fair few people complain about the song in the trailer, but I actually kind of like it.

The lyrics of the whole song fit particularly well, which is funny.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

tsob posted:

Devorum posted:

Control, by Halsey I believe

im a halsey fan, it's a lovely acoustic cut combined with the standard epic trailer music that does it for me

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

They seem to have added a post credit scene to ep8, looks like it's the cold open to season 2.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Never got around to these books but I vaguely recall enjoying the first season. Gonna have to read or watch a recap to remember wtf was going on.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

canepazzo posted:

They seem to have added a post credit scene to ep8, looks like it's the cold open to season 2.

It's a good cold open, very very odd way to show it though

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Skyl3lazer posted:

It's a good cold open, very very odd way to show it though

Yeah, they haven't even put it on YouTube that I've been able to find.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

AcidCat posted:

Never got around to these books but I vaguely recall enjoying the first season. Gonna have to read or watch a recap to remember wtf was going on.

This video popped up nearly simultaneously as your post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKqfosUabgM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Amazon has a time associated with the release now, if you visit the season 2 page on the website or app: midnight for the west coast. For me it says 3AM ET on Sept 1, central Europeans see 9AM, 8AM in the UK, and so on.

pik_d fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Aug 18, 2023