Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Really hoping this season is closer in quality to eps 1-4 of last season and not the second half

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Skyl3lazer posted:

Really hoping this season is closer in quality to eps 1-4 of last season and not the second half

I mean, unless another pandemic happened and another main actor just walked off set and disappeared into the ether on them and they had to figure out a way to re-write the entire ending of the season around both those things happening at once somehow happened again while they were filming last year, I think this season might be a little more stable in comparison.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Episode 5 was the best episode of season 1

The last two episodes were notably worse than the rest of the season, but that can largely be attributed to the sudden impact of covid requiring some changes. Season 2 should be fine. Hopefully Donal Finn will be able to make Mat his own.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nihilarian posted:

The last two episodes were notably worse than the rest of the season, but that can largely be attributed to the sudden impact of covid requiring some changes. Season 2 should be fine. Hopefully Donal Finn will be able to make Mat his own.

Everyone who's seen any footage of him as Mat says he kind of blows Barney Harris's version right out of the water, so hopefully that's a good sign.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
What actor vanished? Was it the guy who was the worst party member?

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

twistedmentat posted:

No it was the guy who was the best actor out of any of the Emonds Field 5.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Barney Harris who plays Mat. When the show went into lockdown for COVID, he bailed on them and just disappeared completely, including erasing his social media presence, and he hasn't been seen since. No one attached to the show in any capacity has said anything about why he left, further heightening the mystery, leading some people to speculate that he either had a massive mental health breakdown or refused to observe any pandemic safety protocols and/or vaccination mandates and got fired. The last stuff they filmed before the lockdown was the stuff in Tar Valon for Episode 6, with the scene where Egwene and Nynaeve meet Siuan for the first time being the last last scene before the hiatus.

If you go back and watch the opening of Episode 8, you can very clearly tell that Mat has been digitally inserted into the shot from other stuff already filmed and they use him not going into the waygate with everyone else as the excuse to write him out of the rest of the season because Barney Harris was already long gone by that point.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Flowing Thot posted:

No it was the guy who was the best actor out of any of the Emonds Field 5.

No, it was the guy who was pretty mid.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CainFortea posted:

No, it was the guy who was pretty mid.

Nynaeve was the best of the Two Rivers folks, fight me nerds :colbert:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Nihilarian posted:

Episode 6 was the best episode so far cause it had Sophie Okenwedo :colbert:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

nine-gear crow posted:

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

nine-gear crow posted:

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

nine-gear crow posted:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I definitely thought Harris was the best of them but Robbins was probably #2

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Okay, yea I figured I was mat. He had serious Darkstar energy.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

nine-gear crow posted:

No one attached to the show in any capacity has said anything about why he left, further heightening the mystery, leading some people to speculate that he either had a massive mental health breakdown or refused to observe any pandemic safety protocols and/or vaccination mandates and got fired.

It is probably worth pointing out that Harris has come out denying the "covid policy" rumors, to the point that he's suing people for spreading it.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Nihilarian posted:

I definitely thought Harris was the best of them but Robbins was probably #2

I would agree with this with Marcus Rutherford at the bottom although the writing had a lot to do with that.

Rand and Egwene blandly in the middle.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Gnoman posted:

It is probably worth pointing out that Harris has come out denying the "covid policy" rumors, to the point that he's suing people for spreading it.

nine-gear crow posted:

he either had a massive mental health breakdown or refused to observe any pandemic safety protocols and/or vaccination mandates and got fired.

Yeah, it's fairly obvious it was some sort of mental health issue just by process of deduction: anything else would have come out in the press or someone would've talked about it.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
My Prime Video app now says season 2 is coming August 31st at 8 PM ET!!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

pik_d posted:

Ahsoka just changed its premiere from Thursday morning to Wednesday night at 9pm ET, saying they decided to release the episodes at a "reasonable time". And the response has been largely positive. I wonder if Amazon saw that and decided to follow suit.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

thrawn527 posted:

Ahsoka just changed its premiere from Thursday morning to Wednesday night at 9pm ET, saying they decided to release the episodes at a "reasonable time". And the response has been largely positive. I wonder if Amazon saw that and decided to follow suit.

It's weird, because they used to release everything at 12 UTC worldwide. So maybe they just moved back to that instead of 12 AM Pacific.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

pik_d posted:

But that is the exact same time as Starfield what the gently caress am I supposed to do.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

Flowing Thot posted:

But that is the exact same time as Starfield what the gently caress am I supposed to do.

Don't pre-order games, especially not these days, and especially not from loving Bethesda.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Flowing Thot posted:

Just play more BG3 instead. Give starfield a month or so to percolate.

And watch WoT.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Don't play Bethesda games at launch jesus we should know this by now

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Rarity posted:

Don't play Bethesda games at launch jesus we should know this by now

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CainFortea posted:

Just play Armored Core VI instead. Give starfield pee.

And watch WoT.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Flowing Thot posted:

You're supposed to wait until the Ultimate Edition with all the DLC is on sale for $19.99 and the unofficial community patch has fixed all the bugs.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Has there been any sort of marketing push for season 2, other than screenshots for internet nerds? I don't watch much TV but i almost forgot that the new season premiers in two days.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
I'm lookin forward to it.

They should just make a show about Loial running a bookstore and being mystified by humans tho. It'd be way better than the whole "fate of the planet at stake" bs

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Hughmoris posted:

Has there been any sort of marketing push for season 2, other than screenshots for internet nerds? I don't watch much TV but i almost forgot that the new season premiers in two days.

Yes, but it's the typical 'here's some scenes' clips on X, the platform formerly known as Twitter. There was supposed to be a panel at a recent comic con, but it was canceled due to the strikes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Yes, but it's the typical 'here's some scenes' clips on X, the platform formerly known as Twitter. There was supposed to be a panel at a recent comic con, but it was canceled due to the strikes.

When I check my Amazon store app they've got a big "Wheel of Time Season 2, September 1st" add up there. And given the number of people who use Amazon.com on a daily basis, that's probably the best advertising you could hope for for it, maybe?

That said every time someone posts a preview or article about it on somewhere like r/television it gets downvoted into oblivion or filled with raging comments because I guess the internet has collectively decided this show somehow crucified every pet they ever owned in their life or something and they will never forget it.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

That said every time someone posts a preview or article about it on somewhere like r/television it gets downvoted into oblivion or filled with raging comments because I guess the internet has collectively decided this show somehow crucified every pet they ever owned in their life or something and they will never forget it.

I mean, (first) the show runners cast people with dark skin in some roles that didn’t have skin tones specified in the books, and (second) they had the audacity to change the plot rather than telling a beat-for-beat recreation of the books. Not that the season was amazing—S1E7 and S1E8 were particularly rough—but a lot of the vitriol comes from people who either were never going to be satisfied (the second group) or who you should not care about satisfying (the first group). And from what I’ve heard about Reddit lately, it seems both of those groups make up an increasing fraction of a dwindling user base.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I thought the first episode was really rough too because it moves at a breakneck speed trying to establish all these characters but after that I began to enjoy the show until the last two episodes which I'll slide because they were clearly affected by COVID.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Grundulum posted:

I mean, (first) the show runners cast people with dark skin in some roles that didn’t have skin tones specified in the books, and (second) they had the audacity to change the plot rather than telling a beat-for-beat recreation of the books. Not that the season was amazing—S1E7 and S1E8 were particularly rough—but a lot of the vitriol comes from people who either were never going to be satisfied (the second group) or who you should not care about satisfying (the first group). And from what I’ve heard about Reddit lately, it seems both of those groups make up an increasing fraction of a dwindling user base.

Yeah everyone of worth is abandoning Reddit and only the bigoted shits are being left behind on the shore as the wave recedes into the ocean. It's why every time I go there the front page is like ten different chudposts from r/canada_but_even_more_racist_somehow now. I'm finally going through the books now in audio format to kill time while I work and I've had quite a few "Oh, I get why they changed this now, this would have been death on screen" moments, and I'm only through New Spring and still in the early parts of Eye of the World.

It's funny, going through New Spring after watching the show first, because the audiobook narrator for Moiraine and Siuan's chapters gives Siuan a more rough sounding speaking voice compared to Moiraine's and with that tone she reads very easily like a younger version of Sophie Okonedo's version from the show. I like how they brought Kerene and Stepin into the modern timeline of the show too, because they just get half a scene in New Spring and it's like "Oop, they're dead now, lol." I always find it interesting when adaptations pluck smaller roles or parts of the world out from the background and give them more prominence because someone saw the potential in expanding their story a bit, like Bill and Frank from The Last of Us.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 31, 2023

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

Grundulum posted:

I mean, (first) the show runners cast people with dark skin in some roles that didn’t have skin tones specified in the books

So not to get into book chat too much in the no book thread, but in the books the people of the Two Rivers are described as not usually having light skin. Characters from Tear like Siuan are also described as usually having dark skin although I don't remember if Siuan herself being described that way. It's literally in the text. Jordan very often didn't get into skin color at all.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Flowing Thot posted:

So not to get into book chat too much in the no book thread, but in the books the people of the Two Rivers are described as not usually having light skin. Characters from Tear like Siuan are also described as usually having dark skin although I don't remember if Siuan herself being described that way. It's literally in the text. Jordan very often didn't get into skin color at all.

I know in the comic adaptation of books Siuan is depicted as being dark skinned, not black but very clearly not white either. Padan Fain's described as being "pale", but that's about it, and just like Sophie Okonedo's Siuan, Johann Myers's take on him is rad as poo poo so who cares what he looks like? From what I recall of the early parts of Eye of the World, Rand's big hang ups are that everyone from the Two Rivers is short with dark eyes and dark hair, and he sticks out like a weirdo because he's tall as poo poo with red hair and grey eyes and again that's about it. Jordo was more focused on describing what people were wearing or what the room they were standing in looked like more than characters. Sometimes it takes like three paragraphs of floor tilings and tapestries before you even get to "Elayne was also there in the room, she told Nynaeve to gently caress off and then left."

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Flowing Thot posted:

Yeah, some characters' skin/eye/hair colors in the books are the physical traits Jordan references a lot, while for others it's height, body shape, hair style/fashion, accent, or whatever else while coloration is utterly unimportant. I'm pretty sure Siuan was described as having fair skin and blue eyes, but it is absolutely not important in her characterization. It certainly comes up a lot less than Moiraine being short does even in the first book, and no one has a problem with Rosamund Pike in the role. It's definitely less important than Rand being literally the only person in the Two Rivers with red hair and light eyes, even if Jordan didn't really describe the typical skin color there.

It's really telling that the Reddit community that really set themselves against the TV series changes called themselves the Whitecloaks though.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

For what it's worth people from the preview screenings for the first two episodes seem to have really liked them. I also liked all the clips they have released. Hyped!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

First review I've seen: https://www.empireonline.com/tv/reviews/the-wheel-of-time-season-2/

Positive, but seems like book purists are going to continue to be mad, maybe!