Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

VanillaGorilla posted:

Positive, but seems like book purists are going to continue to be mad, maybe!

Look, we all suspected that the obvious homage to Mrs Doubtfire was unlikely to make the cut. Likewise the chapter with the eerily on-point prediction of Heath Ledger’s Joker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

VanillaGorilla posted:

First review I've seen: https://www.empireonline.com/tv/reviews/the-wheel-of-time-season-2/

Nothing about that review feels good. It seems like they are saying "it's mostly fine".

*Their review for the 8 new episodes gets 4 paragraphs.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 31, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hughmoris posted:

Nothing about that review feels good. It seems like they are saying "it's mostly fine".

*Their review for the 8 new episodes boils down to 4 paragraphs.

At least Amazon was confident enough in all eight episodes to drop them to the press and influences all at once. Whenever Paramount thought they had a stinker on their hands they'd only put out like three or four so you could immediately tell where the show just fell off a cliff quality-wise before even watching it for yourself.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

VanillaGorilla posted:

First review I've seen: https://www.empireonline.com/tv/reviews/the-wheel-of-time-season-2/

The only way to do a pure book adaptation would be to make it an anime-style thousand episode series with one episode per chapter. Cutting anything down to a reasonably filmable level with live action characters is necessarily going to be almost nothing like an entire book, let alone 1000 page monsters like WOT

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Have some more!

https://twitter.com/rationalnerd/status/1697241491201302730?s=46&t=ecfqJck31S5kfQrefopaKQ

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:

Vim Fuego posted:

The only way to do a pure book adaptation would be to make it an anime-style thousand episode series with one episode per chapter. Cutting anything down to a reasonably filmable level with live action characters is necessarily going to be almost nothing like an entire book, let alone 1000 page monsters like WOT

200 episode OVA. Give it the LOGH treatment.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Vim Fuego posted:

Unironically, and I'm optimistic for season two, I think the best Wheel of Time adaptation would have been a ridiculous anime.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Morrow posted:

Unironically, and I'm optimistic for season two, I think the best Wheel of Time adaptation would have been a ridiculous anime.

No, i'd prefer it to be good instead of anime.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Anime or not I also feel like it would be better animated. I feel that way about most sci fi and fantasy adaptations, though

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
It has always been anime.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Anime is the medium best suited for an adaptation of The Wheel of Time, and it always has been.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It has always been anime.

My mother, who fell in love with the series via the show sight unseen, started reading the books and the first thing she told me about them was "This feels like a cartoon."

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I think the ATLA American anime style would be fantastic for the Wheel of Time

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

pik_d posted:

I think the ATLA American anime style would be fantastic for the Wheel of Time

That was actually how I sold the series to a friend. "It's basically like a moody, live action version of Avatar: The Last Airbender".

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Yea, but ATLA isn't anime.

If WoT show was anime, there would be 39 minutes in a 60 minute show of nothing but Rand staring into the camera making choking sounds and with a so crazy eye twitch (that is just the same 5 seconds on a loop)

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

They already made a Wheel of Time anime, it's called Tenchi Muyo.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
To quote an old post from the book thread:

Calenth posted:

One thing I don't think I mentioned in my prior posts about growing up near Jim, but that's probably worth sharing:

Since he was a Big Shot Author and his wife was an editor for Tor Books, they got a LOT of promotional copies of things, and over summer breaks they'd invite me over and I'd crawl through the big piles of extra books and they'd let me take what I wanted (within limits of what they were allowed to keep / discard / give away).

So I spent a lot of time in his library

. . .

There was a large section containing nothing but anime / manga, including reference works about manga. And this was back in the early 1990's when you couldn't just find that stuff in the local Waldenbooks.

In other words, going by the content of his library, I'm pretty sure the heavily animesque structure of WoT was both conscious and deliberate on Jordan's part.

Wheel of time is anime, confirmed

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Oh you're telling me THIS DUDE

was a giant goddamn weeb? I'm floored (I am not).

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp

nine-gear crow posted:

:vince:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
The new episodes are live. Looks like we get 3 of them.

Also, I keep forgetting that Moiraine was distilled at the end of season 1.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I'm so excited for this to come back!! My only concern is that the first season inspired me to revisit the books after decades of not thinking about them at all, and I hope that doesn't poison me against being able to appreciate the show on its own merits.

Wow this is super cool to have confirmation on. The influence in terms of tone and pacing is very overt, but the timing is so early in terms of when that stuff became known in the US that I always thought it had to be a coincidence of some sort.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
2 years later I'm kinda iffy on this show but as soon as Nynaeve shows up I get sucked back in. She's the dang best.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
update the thread title so people can see season 2 episodes are out imo.

[No Book Spoilers] Wheel of Time Season 2 is out

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ep.1 is good!

Some genuine "rush" moments, some genuine :lol:s, and abs galore

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
dialogue remains dogshit

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

exmarx posted:

dialogue remains dogshit

Yeah. The dialogue, and a good chunk of the acting, is still weak. I enjoyed the books but I might have to tap out of the show. :smith:

dstyle
Jul 24, 2006
At least they got this right: someone crucified a Fade

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Granted I’m a very casual viewer and non book reader who forgot most of the first season, so I’m probably wrong, but that was a very mopey first episode. Zero narrative heft, and a lot of brooding

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I've watched all 3 episodes. They're great. I'm really enjoying Elayne, nuMatt is good.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CainFortea posted:

I've watched all 3 episodes. They're great. I'm really enjoying Elayne, nuMatt is good.

Same. They picked a good replacement. He slips into the role really well. Elayne is really good too. I like how they're making Liandrin a more complicated character too. It's harder to completely hate her now. Really hyped for the back five now.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also I'm just gonna say it: I miss the old intro that poo poo ruled.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

first ep had great vibes, enjoyed the ending fight, nice way of reacquainting everyone with the world. dialogue was good. enjoying freaky alanna

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

buffalo all day posted:

first ep had great vibes, enjoyed the ending fight, nice way of reacquainting everyone with the world. dialogue was good. enjoying freaky alanna

Alanna being freaky is good, but Adeleas being a horny old woman is better.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

CainFortea posted:

Alanna being freaky is good, but Adeleas being a horny old woman is better.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

nine-gear crow posted:

Also I'm just gonna say it: I miss the old intro that poo poo ruled.

I didn't expect to see it in the first episode but I was super bummed it didn't show up in the second.

We're not beholden to network time slots, here, gimme that long intro

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

Also speaking of this picture (or really any publicity photo of Jordan), I thought it was cute how they slipped in a "Robert Jordan" cameo in the first episode where you see a guy in the background of a crowd shot center frame on a horse and he's got the same hat, coat and beard that made up Jordan's iconic look. It's like he's watching over the show from the beyond :allears:

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
I thought they did very well, episode 3 in particular. Holy hell they did good there.

Liandrin is just knocking it out of the park.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Binged all three episodes. They're good.

There's still a few clunky lines here and there, and more than that some bad editing. For example episode 2 Rand punching that dude in the Foregate was edited very strangely where I was left confused about what happened, and not really horrified / worried like I think they wanted me to. Some sort of rushed editing or production issues I guess.

But overall I think the quality is up from season 1. Sets and costumes look much better and bigger, there's more variety in both, and the story feels less confined and rushed.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

nine-gear crow posted:

Same. They picked a good replacement. He slips into the role really well. Elayne is really good too. I like how they're making Liandrin a more complicated character too. It's harder to completely hate her now. Really hyped for the back five now.

oh lame, only 8 eps total?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

crepeface posted:

oh lame, only 8 eps total?

At least they're all feature length this time around apparently. They're doing fewer episodes but covering more ground in each one, so this season's gonna cover all of Book 2 and the first parts of Book 3, and then next season will be the rest of Book 3 and into Book 4.