Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Didn't see this thread and thought it could be fun. Are there any games in your personal top 10 that are unexpected, unusual, or atypical? This could be a game you have a personal emotional connection with, something that was well regarded but ultimately forgotten, garbage you owned as a child and Stockholm syndrome'd yourself into thinking was good, etc.

For me it would be Gitaroo Man on the Playstation 2 and Playstation Portable. I played it for the first time on a demo disc and was really close to buying it when it was new in stores but my older brothers convinced me not to. They both eventually got copies many years later and the OST and very early 2000s aesthetic were still godly. I've always had a soft spot for rhythm games and ended up beating every song on Master but one of my brothers broke a PS2 controller because he couldn't beat Sanbone Trio, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjiOqQ17WKw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

unexpected number 2s

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Fungah! posted:

unexpected number 2s

Lol

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Fungah! posted:

unexpected number 2s

I wouldnt say it was unexpected

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Gitaroo Man kicks rear end

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

THIS.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

It’s extremely ftw. I pray for a Switch port every day

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

ayup.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

:hai:

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I traded a kid Jade Cocoon 2 for Gitaroo Man and it's still probably the best decision of my life

Frenz
Jan 14, 2009

SNES version of sf2.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Metroid Prime...2: Echoes

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

Frenz posted:

SNES version of sf2.

it has the best sounding version of the OST imo. or at the very least the best rendition of sagat's theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITCriXMUKWw

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

Metroid Prime...2: Echoes

what is it that you like so much about this one?

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
toejam and earl. due to a depraved european sega childhood

ty sub-actuality for av & the kins for sig

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

toejam and earl. due to a depraved european sega childhood

I remember people getting so hype about the Xbox sequel to this

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Arch Nemesis posted:

what is it that you like so much about this one?

Everything. The coolest suits and beams, phenomenal bosses and music and imo much more interesting weapon/item expansion puzzles and area design than Prime 1. The Dark World is contentious but I love the atmosphere. If Echoes is a personal 10 then Prime is a 9.5 purely for being the foundation of one of my favorite games. Everything is bigger and improved in Echoes and I've replayed it twice as many times. It also has the best scanning and logbook of the 3 games

Prime 3 strayed a bit too far for me but it's still fun to play. Unlike Echoes I don't feel like everything is a step up from Prime. Though my main issue is hyper mode just makes everything blue and mindless. Still a lot of great bosses and some standout areas.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Echoes has that one boss (boost ball?) that would spend forever as an invincible blob while your health ticked down. It really pissed me off. Other than that it was cool.

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

I had a strong negative reaction to echoes when it came out. I didn't like the dark world, the beam ammunition, or the suit designs. I also hated torvus bog but I don't remember why now. I gotta give it a replay soon, I'm sure it's better than I remember

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Gradius V

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
rabbit game would probably be in there

I feel like a douche for even saying that but I've gotta be real and no game has ever made me feel the way rabbit game did. I've been turning it around in my head for almost 5 years now. hang it in a museum, it's art

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

problably toem or trash panic or chulip

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

that's right

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

To answer the OP I'd have to say Omori. I'm not the biggest Earthbound fan to begin with, so an indie darling strongly influenced by it would not be something I'd expect to like, but I loved it. The story was awesome and told in such a way that hooks itself into you and keeps you going. I beat it last October and I still think about it sometimes. Amazing game

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
La Mulana. I always thought I was too dumb for it and I am but I spent like a solid month just thinking about it all the time.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

welcome posted:

La Mulana. I always thought I was too dumb for it and I am but I spent like a solid month just thinking about it all the time.

Oh yeah this for me as well.

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

oddium posted:

problably toem or trash panic or chulip

Trash Panic absolutely, loving shame its trapped on PS3

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

welcome posted:

this for me as well.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

dynasty warriors 4 and samurai warriors 1. i like all of the specific ultimate weapon unlocks that require you to do something difficult on each of the stages, and the branching mission trees of samurai warriors was fun.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim

I don't give a drat about visual novels* but this game is unreal. A blind playthrough is a once in a lifetime gaming experience.

*yes it's more than a visual novel

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

mbt posted:

dynasty warriors 4 and samurai warriors 1. i like all of the specific ultimate weapon unlocks that require you to do something difficult on each of the stages, and the branching mission trees of samurai warriors was fun.

I was discussing this the other day with a long time friend, whether dw4 was better than 5 and I have to say the weapon system of 4 pushes it over the edge.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Urban Reign

Standingstoic
Jan 17, 2007
Out of the blue, beyond any cause you can trace, you'll suddenly realize things are not how you perceived them at all. For some reason, you will no longer be the person you believed you once were.

I bought a Japanese PS2 to play IIDX and they sent me a copy of Gradius V as a pack-in gift. It's an EXCELLENT side-scrolling shooter with tons of innovative ideas about level design. Also -- extremely sick soundtrack.

I believe you also get to meet yourself displaced in time to pull a sick escape like 5 minutes in. There's some very very slick setpieces.

Standingstoic
Jan 17, 2007
Out of the blue, beyond any cause you can trace, you'll suddenly realize things are not how you perceived them at all. For some reason, you will no longer be the person you believed you once were.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
It’s not news here but irl people are always surprised by how much I love katamari when the games I put the most time into are capcom/platinum style action titles.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
I do also adore onimusha 2, it’s a decent capcom game from a pretty primo era for them and has lot of those features but the relationship mechanic and branching story make playing a game with pretty middling combat fresh every time. The voice acting is also kickass and my best friend and I quote it to each other constantly.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Kazvall posted:

I was discussing this the other day with a long time friend, whether dw4 was better than 5 and I have to say the weapon system of 4 pushes it over the edge.

I still feel like the first Warriors Orochi game is the pinnacle of warriors games. It was goofy (mixing Chinese and Japanese epic warriors together despite them living several hundreds of years apart irl), along with the old ps2 era difficulty

Play a fresh Warriors Orochi game on normal and see what I mean lol. Nameless officers surround your rear end and combo you to death

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
amazing island is so loving stupid but easy top 10

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
Wipeout XL, Timesplitters Future Perfect, and to a lesser extent, Echo Night Beyond

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

That Little Demon posted:

Trash Panic absolutely, loving shame its trapped on PS3

trapped along with tokyo jungle.... although that's maybe an unexpected top 20