Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

cumpantry posted:

sorry for the delay i was probated for describing dracula's pale balls

e: sorry this was done using my tablet instead of a mouse, fibro doesnt play well with mkb

lmao :nice:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

what a great thread, thanks op

sent a sticky request to mods

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

thank you everyone

SAY YOHO posted:

Hello old friend in one page, well done goons. You're on the hook for some tips for straight monochrome stuff now though.
i'll give a try at some tutorializing this weekend, plus a bonus tip about mspaint that i dont think is very known at all. stay tuned...

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

cumpantry posted:

thank you everyone

i'll give a try at some tutorializing this weekend, plus a bonus tip about mspaint that i dont think is very known at all. stay tuned...

Would love to see a tip I don't know anything about. I already stuck someone's tip in the op that's pretty useful.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

A long time ago there was a Photoshop advice thread that was a gold mine of advice. I still use stuff I learned there.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Darth Brooks posted:

A long time ago there was a Photoshop advice thread that was a gold mine of advice. I still use stuff I learned there.

link pls

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
This is a great thread and really glad you spent the time to explain your process. Thank you!

Everyone can absolutely do art, and even if it's not a masterpiece, that's ok! No matter the subjective quality of the end product, you'll have done a thing and that is awesome!

If you are making low res pixelly art, but find MSPaint just a little too limiting (not having layers creates some challenges), I'd recommend Paint.net https://getpaint.net/
It's not trying to be a free photoshop, but it's a nice middle ground between MSPaint and more advanced/complicated editing.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

what do people use to edit animated gifs?

the other day i wanted to add a spinning drilldick from smugworth’s old avatar to an image of peggy’s head ‘shopped onto 2 crazyfrogs in a battletoads pose i found in the chat thread.

i have affinity photo on my pc and pixelmator on my mac for basic photo stuff but neither seem to be able to do gifs. i ended up creating the 3 frames for the gif as separate images and then combining them with an online imagemagick front end, which is kind of a pain. i see goons doing gif work for avs pretty often, there’s gotta be a better way. i just hope it doesn’t require adobe poo poo.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Bad Purchase posted:

the other day i wanted to add a spinning drilldick from smugworth’s old avatar to an image of peggy’s head ‘shopped onto 2 crazyfrogs in a battletoads pose i found in the chat thread.

i have affinity photo on my pc and pixelmator on my mac for basic photo stuff but neither seem to be able to do gifs. i ended up creating the 3 frames for the gif as separate images and then combining them with an online imagemagick front end, which is kind of a pain. i see goons doing gif work for avs pretty often, there’s gotta be a better way. i just hope it doesn’t require adobe poo poo.

Personally I use photoshop to do any gif edits I've posted.

Set
Oct 30, 2005

Bad Purchase posted:

I used to use GIMP, but I recently found out that the image gallery thing on my Android phone can do gifs super simple too. Even goddamn video editing! So I have sent pics to my phone to turn it into a gif and then just exported it out again.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Bad Purchase posted:

https://www.photopea.com/

https://www.photopea.com/tuts/add-gif-into-a-still-image/

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Bad Purchase posted:

I used to be a master gifsmith back in the day, using Photoshop CS2's ImageReady. I suppose modern photoshop has the same tools now integrated.

You can use Krita for gifs, it's fine but I can't say I've used it enough to see if I can get in the nitty gritty details of selectively optimizing frames, altering dithering and personally cull the palette it uses down to the exact number of colors it needs to squeeze the most frames and resolution out of a given filesize.

You can also use GIMP, but that is such an atrocious UX nightmare that I actively recommend against it.

Some video editors can also export to gif at decent quality and filesize.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Geemer posted:

I used to be a master gifsmith back in the day, using Photoshop CS2's ImageReady. I suppose modern photoshop has the same tools now integrated.

You can use Krita for gifs, it's fine but I can't say I've used it enough to see if I can get in the nitty gritty details of selectively optimizing frames, altering dithering and personally cull the palette it uses down to the exact number of colors it needs to squeeze the most frames and resolution out of a given filesize.

You can also use GIMP, but that is such an atrocious UX nightmare that I actively recommend against it.

Some video editors can also export to gif at decent quality and filesize.

Gimp has user mods that make it look and run like photoshop. It's called gimpshop, I hate the default gimp UI. So I think it's a viable alternative if you're into that sorta thing.
E: Sorry guess that was the old one, newer one is called photogimp.
EE: Also lots of tutorials on just redoing the UI yourself to make it into essentially photoshop. But that is a lot of work for little payout. Only worth if you don't want to pirate or buy PS.

Grey Cat fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 22, 2023

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

thanks everyone, bookmarking photopea, it looks promising!

i've used gimp and yeah, ui was nuts, but maybe i'll checkout photogimp and see how that goes.

there's no way buying an adobe sub is worth it for me, i don't image edit that often. shan't speculate as to :filez: (although i'm pretty sure that's just what adobe expects you to do at this point if you're a hobbyist shitposter and not a paid professional, since they have nothing to offer at a sane price)

i wish pixelmator had that feature, it's by far my favorite photo editor for the type of stuff i do, to the point that i'll move over to my mac and suffer with a trackpad to edit stuff instead of just using affinity with a mouse if i'm already at my PC. alas.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Bad Purchase posted:

thanks everyone, bookmarking photopea, it looks promising!

I'll tell you, even with a work provided creative cloud suite, I still use photopea a ton, especially for just on the fly dumb idea editing. I like it a whole lot and it usually serves most of my purposes.

Your Uncle Dracula
Apr 16, 2023
There's also https://talonzane.itch.io/mspaintcompanion MS Paint with photoshop style layers, which I guess detracts a bit from the purity of doodling, but might be good if you want to be an Advanced Doodler.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Yeah, I have no idea where to find it.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

SAY YOHO posted:

You're on the hook for some tips for straight monochrome stuff now though.

im struggling to put together a monochrome tut guide because all im managing to come up with is "look at reference image, identify the darkest spots and lines, block them out in your own piece with a black fill"
i know that's not really that helpful... but maybe i can make it up to anyone with a guide to a silly secret technique mspaint is capable of

Grey Cat posted:

Would love to see a tip I don't know anything about. I already stuck someone's tip in the op that's pretty useful.

to demonstrate this, ive taken an image and just filled half with eye sear red

if you aren't familiar with the rectangle select box, this is what it looks like as you drag your mouse cursor over the piece

and of course, you can then drag the selected area to move it elsewhere, leaving an empty space in its wake. simple stuff everyone probably knows already

but... what if you hold SHIFT before dragging?

interesting... nothing was left behind this time. it was as if i just took a big fat red brush and drew to the left.
but what happens if i go crazy and just drag the box all over the place (still holding SHIFT)

suddenly i've got this strange looking abstract piece that i created in seconds by doing as described, along with dragging bigger and smaller boxes around too.
ok, lets play with a different piece. here i just drew and filled in some lines

then i used the rectangle select box... held shift... and dragged it in circles round and round until getting whatever this is

pretty hosed up and glitched looking isnt it. you can do it yourself in just mspaint.
how about instead of some abstract things, let's demonstrate on a little guy

say hello to the little guy. the little bald guy cuz he doesnt have any hair yet

so i drew him some. but this guy looks like he could hold a tall head of hair. so let's use the rectangle box to give him a lift

real interesting cut there guy. the weeknd circa 2013 might even be jealous. but let's go even further.. just to make sure.

so its, again, just a silly tool that isn't nearly life changing as what can be found in the op post but, depending on the application, you might find some use of it. especially if youre the type that likes to block out backgrounds or shapes before diving in... here's a couple more examples of two things i made recently using this tip.
one's boxart--makes some nice abstract nonsense to slap silhouettes and a title over alright.

and here's a dragon thing flying up out of whatever your eyes tell you this is. you can see ive used the technique in various areas

well thats all i can say about it i think. hope someone gets somethin outta this!

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

cumpantry posted:

im struggling to put together a monochrome tut guide because all im managing to come up with is "look at reference image, identify the darkest spots and lines, block them out in your own piece with a black fill"
i know that's not really that helpful... but maybe i can make it up to anyone with a guide to a silly secret technique mspaint is capable of

to demonstrate this, ive taken an image and just filled half with eye sear red

if you aren't familiar with the rectangle select box, this is what it looks like as you drag your mouse cursor over the piece

and of course, you can then drag the selected area to move it elsewhere, leaving an empty space in its wake. simple stuff everyone probably knows already

but... what if you hold SHIFT before dragging?

interesting... nothing was left behind this time. it was as if i just took a big fat red brush and drew to the left.
but what happens if i go crazy and just drag the box all over the place (still holding SHIFT)

suddenly i've got this strange looking abstract piece that i created in seconds by doing as described, along with dragging bigger and smaller boxes around too.
ok, lets play with a different piece. here i just drew and filled in some lines

then i used the rectangle select box... held shift... and dragged it in circles round and round until getting whatever this is

pretty hosed up and glitched looking isnt it. you can do it yourself in just mspaint.
how about instead of some abstract things, let's demonstrate on a little guy

say hello to the little guy. the little bald guy cuz he doesnt have any hair yet

so i drew him some. but this guy looks like he could hold a tall head of hair. so let's use the rectangle box to give him a lift

real interesting cut there guy. the weeknd circa 2013 might even be jealous. but let's go even further.. just to make sure.

so its, again, just a silly tool that isn't nearly life changing as what can be found in the op post but, depending on the application, you might find some use of it. especially if youre the type that likes to block out backgrounds or shapes before diving in... here's a couple more examples of two things i made recently using this tip.
one's boxart--makes some nice abstract nonsense to slap silhouettes and a title over alright.

and here's a dragon thing flying up out of whatever your eyes tell you this is. you can see ive used the technique in various areas

well thats all i can say about it i think. hope someone gets somethin outta this!

Oh yeahhhh! I did know about this but also completely forgot. I used to draw circles and make funky tube patterns with this in school all the time. Gimme a moment I'll update the op with a link to it.

Great tip for people wanting to make weird effects, especially.

E: also in reference to the monochrome, my guide is monochrome (just green), the term is 1bit. If someone wants to make 1bit color picture (2 colors just black and white) just remove one color and the guide is still pretty relevant. Fill in the outline, and start detailing with just white. I could do a lovely speedpaint to kinda show the process visually.

Grey Cat fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 23, 2023

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

really really good thread, bookmarked although i just wanna lurk n learn

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Rockman Reserve posted:

really really good thread, bookmarked although i just wanna lurk n learn

Lurk and learn away, friend. Don't be shy, though. You should totally post a piece if you make something.

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

Cat when I use my wacom in mspaint now it detects my input and puts a circle around where I'm trying to draw and won't commit the input until my cursor gets outside the circle. Any exp with this?

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

you need your tablets drivers, repaired if you already have them

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Hammu-rob-i posted:

Cat when I use my wacom in mspaint now it detects my input and puts a circle around where I'm trying to draw and won't commit the input until my cursor gets outside the circle. Any exp with this?

Seconding what cumpantry already said, make sure you aren't just plug and playing the device, manually check drivers and restart. If they're good, check if your wacom is forcing pen or mouse mode for ms paint specifically. Also try turning on or off windows ink.

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

I tend to agree with both of you after seeing my pressure sensitivity settings are gone in GIMP now. It's an 18year old piece of hardware - a windows update prob effectively bricked it sometime back and I didn't notice. Off to dig up the drivers I emailed to myself for reinstall

edit ugh configuring pressure sensitivity for GIMP is a painful re-learn

in the small chance this is beneficial to anyone I found my config docs:

"launch wacom tablet properties -> select "Grip Pen" button up top then mess with the pen to get pressure sensitivity to show up
If wacom tablet propterties doesn't show up, uninstall everything and wipe users\rob\appdata\local\wacom , gimp and \appdata\roaming\wacom , gimp and redo"

Why would I keep the drivers on email and not in the folder with the instructions, cmon man! How much could a new wacom cost, $10?

My Dad Nintendo fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 24, 2023

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
I like ms paints forgotten monochrome mode but every time I try it I keep running into this error where it says it's run out of resources and crashes. I'm tempted to spin up windows 98 in dosbox to see if it works or does the same thing, I would not put it past microsoft to have just ported the same buggy code over from the old versions, I remember there being a ui bug with the zoom tool in the xp version that let you zoom down an extra level beyond what you were supposed to be able to.

Edit:
It works! glorious dithering awaits me.

coldpudding fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jul 24, 2023

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

coldpudding posted:

I like ms paints forgotten monochrome mode but every time I try it I keep running into this error where it says it's run out of resources and crashes. I'm tempted to spin up windows 98 in dosbox to see if it works or does the same thing, I would not put it past microsoft to have just ported the same buggy code over from the old versions, I remember there being a ui bug with the zoom tool in the xp version that let you zoom down an extra level beyond what you were supposed to be able to.

Edit:
It works! glorious dithering awaits me.

Yeah the converting to black and white doesn't work for me either, I don't get an error but instead it just turns every color black with no dither. I'm still able to start a fresh document just fine. Does the resource thing happen after painting for a while? Wondering if I should be weary of it crashing mid piece.
E: I'll add the tip to the OP anyways

coldpudding
May 14, 2009

FORUM GHOST
The error I get is pretty repeatable all I have to do is set it to mono and use the pencil for a bit.

I've got 64 gigs of ram and 12 cores running a 4.5ghz there is no way it should be running out of headroom, it would not surprise me in the least if it was reusing bits of code from as far back as Ms paint 1.0 or even it's predecessor MS Paintbrush.

wow 16 flavors

I just started toying around with paintbrush today, Paintbrush has a lot of odd and neat features built in if you are willing to spend the time to get it running in dosbox, one of them is the airbrush tool running at a reasonable rate and not in turbo mode like in Ms paint.

coldpudding fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 24, 2023

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I can't seem to replicate the memory issue but I only have 32gb.
Maybe it just doesn't play well with large amounts of ram, it is certainly really choppy in black and white mode for me.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

coldpudding posted:

it would not surprise me in the least if it was reusing bits of code from as far back as Ms paint 1.0 or even it's predecessor MS Paintbrush.

given it's a microsoft product you're probably dead on the money there

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
this thread is sick and it makes me sad that I'm not at my old job anymore, I used to draw dumb little things in paint for my students/coworkers. you don't have to be a Good Artist to draw something expressive and fun!

you do need some chops to put tits on a frog though

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

death cob for cutie posted:

this thread is sick and it makes me sad that I'm not at my old job anymore, I used to draw dumb little things in paint for my students/coworkers. you don't have to be a Good Artist to draw something expressive and fun!

you do need some chops to put tits on a frog though

Could still make some silly dumb things for the goons!
I agree nobody has to be "good." I've gotten entire conversations irl out of even the silliest of the MS paint submissions. It's all been very enjoyable and I hope that this thread had gotten at least a couple more submissions to happen.

"you do need some chops to put tits on a frog though"
It's true, even the great Michelangelo would tremble at the gargantuan tits task.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Grey Cat posted:

I agree nobody has to be "good." I've gotten entire conversations irl out of even the silliest of the MS paint submissions. It's all been very enjoyable and I hope that this thread had gotten at least a couple more submissions to happen.

i am the world's biggest hypocrite because I don't follow through on this advice but like

'it doesn't need to be good for people to enjoy it' is a frustration meme with artists and i think almost everyone has experienced posting a five minute shitpost doodle and it getting 10x more engagement than anything they've actually put work into

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

ishikabibble posted:

i am the world's biggest hypocrite because I don't follow through on this advice but like

'it doesn't need to be good for people to enjoy it' is a frustration meme with artists and i think almost everyone has experienced posting a five minute shitpost doodle and it getting 10x more engagement than anything they've actually put work into

For sure, it's a real life joke that plays out constantly.
I've had pieces I've spent days on get nothing but 30 min of work to slap a couple tits on kermit and it's more conversation on my art than I've gotten anywhere combined. :lol:

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

the people know what they want and what they want is a classy frog with a respectable rack

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Grey Cat posted:

For sure, it's a real life joke that plays out constantly.
I've had pieces I've spent days on get nothing but 30 min of work to slap a couple tits on kermit and it's more conversation on my art than I've gotten anywhere combined. :lol:

lol

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Grey Cat posted:

this is something I made for a friend when I told her to give someone trying to gently caress with her while waiting for a vaccine booster back in 2021 "the ol' Wizard's Curse". we spitballed what that would sound like for a bit and this is what I settled on

it's not nearly as nice as the OP's shading but it got a laugh and that's the important part of making something: whether it takes three minutes or thirty hours, if you bring joy into someone's life, it's worth it

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

death cob for cutie posted:

this is something I made for a friend when I told her to give someone trying to gently caress with her while waiting for a vaccine booster back in 2021 "the ol' Wizard's Curse". we spitballed what that would sound like for a bit and this is what I settled on

it's not nearly as nice as the OP's shading but it got a laugh and that's the important part of making something: whether it takes three minutes or thirty hours, if you bring joy into someone's life, it's worth it

It's beautiful. We always need more wizard curses. Twadala Twadalee gently caress Ye.

"whether it takes three minutes or thirty hours, if you bring joy into someone's life, it's worth it"
I live by this, I just want to bring something positive or memorable even if it's just for a brief moment.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Grey Cat posted:

this is way too much overthinking on it, but if you look at the intent of the kermtit piece I think it becomes reasonably clear why it gets so much engagement - it's a stupid fluff piece that has no reason to exist except for the audience's amusement/enjoyment, and perhaps it was even their presence that helped caused that nonsense to come about in the first place. it plays to the personal ego as well being absurd as hell

and yes, this post was an excuse to use the phrase 'kermtit'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

dervival posted:

this is way too much overthinking on it, but if you look at the intent of the kermtit piece I think it becomes reasonably clear why it gets so much engagement - it's a stupid fluff piece that has no reason to exist except for the audience's amusement/enjoyment, and perhaps it was even their presence that helped caused that nonsense to come about in the first place. it plays to the personal ego as well being absurd as hell

and yes, this post was an excuse to use the phrase 'kermtit'

Personally, kermtit is a good one.

It's not really overthinking it. I get it wasn't a great comparison, realistically I mean more the interaction between my actual work where some gets good traffic and orders and some doesn't. But it's a lot sillier to compare my more jobby stuff to a kermtit (heh) joke piece. Of course this was made to drive engagement and inspire some more MS paint stuff more than anything else.

But when it comes to actual commission pieces I've gotten more feedback on jokes people wanted done than my heart and soul pieces; It's just a fact the internet likes silly stuff so of course it gets a response even if it can be a little bit of a downer from time to time. People know what they want, sometimes you just gotta go with it. You learn to not take things personally.