Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

This is a thread about Grimes:

Her "about the artist" on Spotify reads:

Grimes started producing music when she had to learn the program Logic for her neuroscience class. Shortly thereafter she had a viral myspace page, which allowed her to start booking shows and focus full-time on music. She lived in a crack den In Montreal with no heat (where she got frostbite twice and her neighbor was bludgeoned to death in the hallway), playing raves until her 2012 breakout, Visions, which was recorded during a 2 week speed binge wherein she did not leave her bedroom. Upon the success of this album, Grimes attempted to enter society as a regular human, which has clearly not gone super well but has nonetheless been entertaining. She’s since become an award winning music video director as well as music composer, producer, engineer and singer-songwriter. She’s toured globally to sold out crowds, headlined festivals, and is now moving into the space of corporate surrealism. She recently had experimental eye surgery only available to the upper class. She put out her final earth album in 2020.

Grimes is an electronic musician and visual artist from Canada who has made some really dope tunes over the years. She's had some massive hits but has also collaborated with really cool more esoteric techno and electronic music artists.

Here are a couple of her hits:

Genesis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FH-q0I1fJY

Oblivion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5H-YlcMSbc

In recent years she's collaborated with heavier and darker electronic artists with great results:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz_Zxd-iIdI

Oh and her first album was called "Giedi Primes" and was based on Dune. Its okay.

She's also super goony and a genuine weirdo which is pretty awesome. It's always fun when some self taught basement dweller gets thrust into the public light. Here are a few notable instances of her being weird, and possibly trolling.

Grimes has a son named "X Æ A-XII" with Elon Musk. Apparently Ol' Musky thought that she was a "simulation" created by his mind, which is incredibly on brand and hilarious. Obviously they didnt work out.

Grimes likes to keep fit:

She claimed she got experimental eye surgery, which scientists immediately de-bunked:

https://www.stereogum.com/2051274/wait-hold-on-grimes-got-part-of-her-eyes-removed-so-that-she-cant-see-blue-light/news/

"I have also eliminated all blue light from my vision through an experimental surgery that removes the top film of my eyeball and replaces it with an orange ultra-flex polymer that my friend and I made in the lab this past winter as a means to cure seasonal depression."

I'm pretty much convinced she's in part pulling an Andy Kaufman on everyone with claims like this, but its all on brand for her future and alien obsessed image.

Anyways I like Grimes and you can use this thread to post about weird poo poo Grimes has done and said over the years and maybe talk about her music also if you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
if she could go back in time she would either be with joseph stalin or adolf hitler, so she could like, save them

e: proofs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRQ0FBEwSN0&t=31s

Pac and Cheese fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 22, 2023

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
Isn't that the woman who married The twitter guy?

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I guess, if you want to define her by her relationships to weird men, then sure. They weren't married though afaik.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

They were never married, but I think she did tell him to stop retweeting bigoted 'just asking questions' poo poo and then dumped him because he wouldn't.

And that's what turned the twitter guy into the man he is today.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Poohs Packin posted:

I guess, if you want to define her by her relationships to weird men, then sure. They weren't married though afaik.

but they do have at least one kid together

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

They were never married, but I think she did tell him to stop retweeting bigoted 'just asking questions' poo poo and then dumped him because he wouldn't.

And that's what turned the twitter guy into the man he is today.

hold on a tick! Elon never married her? Pretty sure it happened

Chewybiteems
Mar 16, 2009
Grimes is a cool archetypal art-dive bar girl that happened to blow up and become famous, but if ya remove the fame and analyze it for what it is it is endearing as hell. Her output pre-fame reminds me so much of the cool anarchist chicks I was hanging around in my early 20s punk crusthouse phase and I can't hate it. Not to be seen as an intellectual authority on technology or science whatsoever, the expectation that she should be is solely an artificial construction created by broad public expectation bc had a kid with the rocket boy and bullshit industry PR. Basically I think Grimes is cool man idk. I like that Oblivion track a lot.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
okay i misunderstood she was saying if she could BE hitler or stalin not be with them

trying to be nice cause this was legit one of my favorite songs 6 years ago https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyJ5tC6U2xE

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

The Musk phase was regrettable but I still like her stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvzC8MmC850

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The Musk phase was regrettable but I still like her stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvzC8MmC850

she wanted to be Madonna or Lady Gaga.
:shrug:

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Chewybiteems posted:

Grimes is a cool archetypal art-dive bar girl that happened to blow up and become famous, but if ya remove the fame and analyze it for what it is it is endearing as hell. Her output pre-fame reminds me so much of the cool anarchist chicks I was hanging around in my early 20s punk crusthouse phase and I can't hate it. Not to be seen as an intellectual authority on technology or science whatsoever, the expectation that she should be is solely an artificial construction created by broad public expectation bc had a kid with the rocket boy and bullshit industry PR. Basically I think Grimes is cool man idk. I like that Oblivion track a lot.

Shes a weird electronic artist who's unwillingly become sort of a tabloid media darling. Her trolling is pretty good.

I laughed pretty hard at the "polymer my friend and I invented in a lab last winter to fight depression".

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Poohs Packin posted:

Shes a weird electronic artist who's unwillingly become sort of a tabloid media darling. Her trolling is pretty good.

I laughed pretty hard at the "polymer my friend and I invented in a lab last winter to fight depression".

no one ever heard of her before she married Elon.
She wasn't a big time star

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I like her cause she made Elon so divorced that he spent 44 Billion Dollars to read her Twitter DMs, which so far has generated more comedy than I could have imagined.

She has a track named Shadout Mapes.
Truly she is the Lisan Al Gaib.

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Jul 22, 2023

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
What if she's just stupid?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Grimes is dumb as a box of rocks laced with lead powder burning leaded gas and diesel

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I would ride the Grimes boat up to the first major navigation challenge which is 100% as far as Grimes also made it.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

reminder that she got scurvy in the 21st century, because she ate nothing but plain spaghetti

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Charles Bukowski posted:

What if she's just stupid?

That's very possible,but Elon getting owned so hard by her confirms he's even dumberer

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

Listen, I understand you really really want to talk about your buddy Elon, but this is categorically untrue.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

That's very possible,but Elon getting owned so hard by her confirms he's even dumberer

Yes, but also, he is incredibly easy to own. He paid 44bil for a website that Hates Him(besides his bluecheck syncophant weirdos)and owns him on a daily basis. It would be amazing if it didn't also suck. I ran out of DMs today.

[quote="Poohs Packin" post="533365914"]
Listen, I understand you really really want to talk about your buddy Elon, but this is categorically untrue.
[/quote

MP could tunnel so hard into his habits so as to block out pop culture or people that would talk about anything but specific interests of MPs. Otaku culture yo

Charles Bukowski fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Jul 22, 2023

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

The_Franz posted:

reminder that she got scurvy in the 21st century, because she ate nothing but plain spaghetti

This is classic goon behaviour someone should tell her about Soylent.

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?
Grimes is a very talented artist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ze1ux7GiW_s

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Poohs Packin posted:

This is classic goon behaviour someone should tell her about Soylent.

I'm sure she's posting in the Dune Thread so she knows already

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

While I had heard of Tesla and SpaceX before, I didn't know the guy's name until hearing the news that Grimes had a new boyfriend, and nerds with crushes on her were depressed about it.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Poohs Packin posted:

I guess that makes me actually old. I did not hear about her until she married Elon

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

everything I hear about her is just tiring

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

TK8325 posted:

everything I hear about her is just tiring

Don't be a jerk

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
I really liked her first album back in... 2014? I should give it another listen this weekend, maybe see what she's up to these days

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Oh sorry this is a thread for people who spend all day gossiping about celebs they dislike on social media, let me give that another shot.

Where's Elon Musk? What's Elon Musk up to? You won't believe what racist thing Elon Musk said today!!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
*inhale*

GROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOIIIIIIIIIMMMEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS :qq::qq::qq::qq:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
She seems real dumb like kinda touched in the head dumb where it's not her fault but she needs a handler or something dumb

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
It's maybe from all the drugs but idk maybe that just added on to an already there issue :shrug:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

grimes is good. i kinda lump her in with bjork. highly talented, but says and does things that are just baffling and sometimes makes you wonder how she has managed to survive this long. hope she continues doing weird stuff for many more years.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
First time actually listening to her music... sure wish I hadn't!

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I can't fix her,but she will make me worse.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Grimes's dad was my boss at one of my previous jobs. I still get reference letters from him.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I did, what now clown?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
if i see elon on tha street ima slap the poo poo outta that bitch no cap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

I saw one of her CDs at the local FYE and when I smelled it it smelled like complete poo poo, like someone left the batjroom door open, so I passed. Usually I make sure my music smells good before I subject my ears to that kind of thing.