Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoPcornTG
Mar 26, 2007

Dogs day afternoon
Bleak Gremlin
I really liked her album Art angels and was really excited to see her perform at Laneway festival. Her live performance was one of the worst live performances I've seen. Just really low energy and had no stage presence. Maybe it was just an off show for her, but I lost interest in her after that
That's my Grimes story!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Contrary to popular goon belief, the coat in the pic where Grimes is "reading" the Communist Manifesto is not made from foreskins.

3rd72123
Jul 22, 2023
over/under on grimes being homeless by '24

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Good old Grimey.

TheAbortionator
Mar 4, 2005

https://pitchfork.com/news/45488-the-tale-of-grimes-insane-2009-houseboat-adventure-the-best-thing-youll-read-all-day/

Three pages in and no one has mentioned her first claim to fame? For shame, this should have been in the OP.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

3rd72123 posted:

over/under on grimes being homeless by '24

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

TheAbortionator posted:

https://pitchfork.com/news/45488-the-tale-of-grimes-insane-2009-houseboat-adventure-the-best-thing-youll-read-all-day/

Three pages in and no one has mentioned her first claim to fame? For shame, this should have been in the OP.

Two dumb kids trying to reenact Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and failing at the first bend in the river, that’s stupid. But neither of them had ever read the book, drat, that makes the entire fiasco look cool, somehow.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

TheAbortionator posted:

this whole thing is bananas

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Pac and Cheese posted:

if she could go back in time she would either be with joseph stalin or adolf hitler, so she could like, save them

e: proofs https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRQ0FBEwSN0&t=31s

well that explains a few things

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Visions is a great album, but everything about how she presents herself as a person is the most off-putting, pretentious thing ever, even if she's making most of the stuff up.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Sometimes you need to wear your Stillsuit, Kull Wahad

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained
She should make her own let's play channel.
Game Grimes

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

A gaming channel could be a good idea, im sure people would watch it. I might do it myself, I figure theres probably heaps of people who want to see old games replayed from the perspective of a man in his 30s who grew up with the games. I could offer some fresh perspective on these classics, and bring my famous "grumpy nerd" personality, which I'm told is hilarious, to the fore as a bonus.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

her music sucks and she is a dipshit imo

Ez8
Aug 5, 2004
She touched Elon Musk's bathing suit area.
Elon probably touched her bathing suit area.

yuck.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Poohs Packin posted:

A gaming channel could be a good idea, im sure people would watch it. I might do it myself, I figure theres probably heaps of people who want to see old games replayed from the perspective of a man in his 30s who grew up with the games. I could offer some fresh perspective on these classics, and bring my famous "grumpy nerd" personality, which I'm told is hilarious, to the fore as a bonus.

Would people pay real money to watch me play Asteroids or Pac Man???

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020
let me know when she changes her name to Chimes and exclusively plays the glockenspiel

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
"I'll make people think I'm a weird idiot! Hah, I'm Andy Kauffman!"

Poohs Packin posted:

I think I just appreciate grimes through the lens of electronic music and especially as a woman in dance and electronic.
I can appreciate this, but her persona is so off-putting that I don't want to engage with her music.

She did the theme for Netflix's Hilda series and that was nice.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Caesar Saladin posted:

Theres also something to be said about the power imbalance between a young musician and the richest man in the world that needs to be accounted for

She was 30.

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

:hmmyes:

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Ratios and Tendency posted:

She didn't even marry him, they dated for a bit and then she dumped him for Chelsea Manning after he wouldn't stop being a bigoted shithead on twitter.

yeah lol what happened w that. are they still together or no

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

Seems like she has a sense of humor but I'd bet her uploaded consciousness is a real pain in the rear end.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Good grime
https://youtu.be/YH0KWX2a8zY

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i prefer this kind of grime

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pxk-EfNQxY

edit: lol beaten but leaving it up anyway because its good

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023

Poohs Packin posted:

ME: " Check out this talented artist and musician"

GBS BOYS: "I disapprove of her choices in marriage, she must be stupid"

Just wait till they find out she doesn't always shave her armpits

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Szechwan posted:

Just wait till they find out she doesn't always shave her armpits

:gizz:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yeah, we must separate the artist from the art, wanna go watch some Mel Gibson movies?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

Yeah, we must separate the artist from the art, wanna go watch some Mel Gibson movies?

sure, sounds fun lets go

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Her music was never good

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Pitchfork media dot com dweebs we're like "you should listen to grime" but I tried and it sucked. conclusions: those dweebs are morons

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
Anyone who ever even potentially made Elon Musk happy should be hurled into an empty emerald mine.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

steinrokkan posted:

WOLVERINES!!!!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

PoPcornTG posted:

I really liked her album Art angels and was really excited to see her perform at Laneway festival. Her live performance was one of the worst live performances I've seen. Just really low energy and had no stage presence. Maybe it was just an off show for her, but I lost interest in her after that
That's my Grimes story!

I saw her live shortly after Visions was released and it was also really tame and boring Granted, it was at a festival and they gave her a lovely early billing. The sun was blazing straight onto the decks so she couldn’t see what she was doing lol

All her gear was stolen while on tour shortly after.

Maybe the more recent concerts are good? She has the cash to do all sorts of crazy stuff now. I wanna some techno wizards sword-fighting or weird anime poo poo or whatever she’s into at the moment.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Poohs Packin posted:

ME: " Check out this talented artist and musician"

GBS BOYS: "I disapprove of her choices in marriage, she must be stupid"

lmao

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

I too just read the comic book "Fables"

Pontificating Ass
Aug 2, 2002

What Doth Life?

Torquemada posted:

Anyone who ever even potentially made Elon Musk happy should be hurled into an empty emerald mine.

Do yall realize being an anti-stan is just as irrational as the opposite?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Holy poo poo I remember reading that star tribune article in 2009 and being like what a loving dumbass. I loved a few blocks from boom island at the time. I was all oh now the crust punks are building barges eh

Lmao that was loving grimes