Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
:siren: GIGGS' $ SHEET THAT SHOULD BE VERY HELPFUL FOR EVERYONE! :siren:

Be Your Own GM v.8! It's the doldrums of the NBA offseason, so I decided to feed you guys with some blind auctioning fun just to highlight how inept great you guys are at constructing rosters and being smart with your money. It's been almost a year to the day since BYOGM v.7. Before that was BYOGM v.6 and BYOGM v.5 which were keeper leagues, There was also 2018 BYOGM v.4 thread, it can be found right here, with BYOGM v.3 2017 here, as well as BYOGM v.2 and BYOGM v.1.). We're sticking with the blind auction format for the '23 version. If you've never seen this or joined in one before, it's usually great fun with banter, some slight competition.. and a lot of really dumb SAS bidding.

This will be a BLIND AUCTION DRAFT. Each day a list of (20-30) players will be posted overnight sometime and will remain open until 7:00 pm EST every evening. You will send me what you're bidding on each player from your $1000 (you can bid on as many or as little players each day). Any bids received after that 6:30 pm deadline are voided for the day. I anticipate this lasting a few weeks (17-20 days), so if you join, make sure you're able to at least send a list a day for a potential of 2-3 weeks. At around 7:30 pm EST, each day's winning bids will be posted live in thread. All lists must be sent privately!

• When you join, please pick the NBA team you would like to be representing.

• This time you will all be starting with $1,000. In the past we did $300, people overspent horribly the first few days, and it's a lot of fun. I want to see what you guys do with more money. It is up to you to decide how to allocate your money and what percent of a cap a player is worth to you. Maybe being patient is smart, or getting your guys early.. whatever works for you. You must draft 15 players, and you must make sure your max bids do not go over the threshold (ie: the max you can bid on one player at the start is $986 because the other $14 would be spent on $1 roster spots, and adjust this logic as your money goes down). But please don't go that high. I anticipate maybe seeing a few guys go over $500 but... be careful!

• At the end of this, everybody must send me a list of their top 10 teams. There will be a SAS BYOGM Goon Winner from those lists (the top 10 best voted teams will be revealed). I will also be running it in Basketball-GM for a season and crowning a SAS BYOGM Sim Winner as well. You may built teams how you want, but ideally, the idea is for everybody to create the best teams possible (with the players you enjoy). I don't mind having a direction/"gimmick" or wanting to target younger players, but please attempt to build with an intent to compete either now or in the near future and not just build the shittiest team possible.

• :siren: This wasn't a rule last year, and it''s more like a helpful hint, but check out the v.7 thread if you want to see how teams paid throughout the sim, especially early on. A lot of great teams have been made but just waiting because people overpay like crazy early and don't realize how many players/days it consists of and waste tons of money early. Be smart. :siren:

• $ ties are broken by random.org randomizer.

• Each day you send in bids, you cannot go over your max bid of whatever you have left for the day. For instance, you cannot send me 5 bids of $300 (equaling $1500) because you only have $1000. You can send me three bids of $300 if you wanted because you would technically have $900, but again, the rest of the game you would only have ~$100 to spend on 12 players. You get the gist. You can't spend what you don't have.

• Trades are encouraged and welcome. You can trade any sort of combination for players as long as you and the other person can afford them.

• You can continue bidding on players even if your roster is full, however that would require you having money left over to do so. You can waive players, but they count against your cap and go straight into the FA pool.

• Each day there will be players that aren't taken. Towards the end of the auction, maybe the last day or two, there will be a day where all of the undrafted/waived players are posted and it's first come first serve in the thread. No ninja edits. You can draft a player and waive them if you want, but they will still count against your cap.

• It will include players that as of this date were on an NBA roster last season (and are a free agent) or are currently on a roster now. Someone like Kemba Walker wouldn't count because he just signed with a team overseas. Rookies obviously count, stashed players do not count. They have to be part of the roster of an NBA team or signed to a two-way contract.

• I will accept private bids either by PMs or by email, commuziq @ gmail dot com or by Discord @coldworld.

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jul 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

1. gently caress COREY PERRY as the Washington Wizards
2. Chronicles as the Brooklyn Nets
3. Fast Luck as the Detroit Pistons
4. china klay as the Golden State Warriors
5. Mr. F! as the Portland Trail Blazers
6. Doltos as the New York Knicks
7. G-Hawk as the Houston Rockets
8. DeimosRising as the Orlando Magic
9. kingcobweb as the Denver Nuggets
10. Carlosologist as the Sacramento Kings
11. rivetz as the Charlotte Hornets
12. BWV as the Toronto Raptors
13. Drunk Canuck as the Dallas Mavericks
14. IcePhoenix as the Minnesota Timberwolves
15. DC Murderverse as the Memphis Grizzlies
16. xbilkis as the Chicago Bulls
17. Red Rox as the Los Angeles Clippers
18. The Ninth Layer as the Los Angeles Lakers
19. Lockback as the Milwaukee Bucks
20. tanglewood1420 as the Miami Heat
21. ScooterMcTiny as the Indiana Pacers
22. Salvor_Hardin as the Boston Celtics
23. a new study bible! as the Cleveland Cavaliers
24. Giggs as the Utah Jazz
25. Punkin Spunkin as the San Antonio Spurs
26. Paul Zuvella as the Philadelphia 76ers
27. Veryslightlymad as the New Orleans Pelicans
28. kalensc as the Oklahoma City Thunder
29. Activia as the Phoenix Suns
30. Blind Pineapple as the Atlanta Hawks

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 24, 2023

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Alright lets goooo

I am not a Heat fan but have somehow ended up running them for the last five or six editions of this, so give me Miami please.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I'm in as the spurs. Time to mix up more French players.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'll look to remain GM of the Pelicans. I managed to watch even less basketball than the previous year, so my knowledge gets ever more out of date.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Nice! Glad this is back. Sign me up as the Los Angeles Lakers!!

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I'm on vacation for the next week but that will not stop me from ignoring my family so I can send in my Winning Bids for your Toronto Raptors.
Sign me up commish !

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Hell yeahhhhhhhh

Give me the Clippers

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

hell yeah

gimmie the wizards

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Pacers!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I値l take the bucks for now but will switch if someone wants em

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
I'll take jazz please because i thought of a pun i might be able to use thanks

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Oh hell yeah.

I'll take the Magic, but honestly I dont really give a poo poo so if you want to just wait and give me the last team available thats fine too.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

。Hola SEA!

Paul Zuvella posted:

Oh hell yeah.

I'll take the Magic, but honestly I dont really give a poo poo so if you want to just wait and give me the last team available thats fine too.

I知 a fucken degenerate who usually does the magic but I知 also fine with doing someone else if you want them

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Gimme the Nuggets, let痴 hope I don稚 embarrass myself like last year

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

DeimosRising posted:

I知 a fucken degenerate who usually does the magic but I知 also fine with doing someone else if you want them

Thats fine!

Give me the 76ers DBD, lets run back last time.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Gimmie the wolves please

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
xbilkis is BACK as the GM of the Chicago Bulls

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I couldn't even remember what I did last year but apparently it was creating Joel Embiid's personal hell. I promise to do better. 🙏

This team still made the playin in the east

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
gimme da knicks love da knicks baby gimme da knicks

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'll take the Bucks!

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Nice, should be updated. About 14 spots left!

Good to see a lot of the regulars - no new blood yet, so if anybody new is reading this and wants to join, don't be shy, it's fun~

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

so it's new blood you want eh

https://i.imgur.com/02dGVVL.mp4

i'll take the Cleveland Cavaliers

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

I値l take the blazers please.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
In as the sole Celtics fan/owner

china klay
Jul 4, 2018
In as Warriors.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
10 spots left!!

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Okay I値l take detroit now. Still can switch if snyone cares about being Detroit

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Fast Luck posted:

Okay I値l take detroit now. Still can switch if snyone cares about being Detroit

Sorry I had missed your post earlier! You give more Pistons vibes anyway~

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Back to Grizz it up once again

edit: my team last year was not great but I was 1000% correct about Shai being all-NBA

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

Ill take the fightin houston rockets

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
I would like to take the Charlotte Hornets to the promised land

Activia
Apr 13, 2022

Goal: some kind of neat moth
Oh hell yeah! Last time was super fun. I値l take the Suns again unless someone else really wants them

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Oh poo poo we池e back, I値l be the Kings GM since my previous team was taken

We池e lighting the beam by lighting piles of cash on fire

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

We need Drunk Canuck. The people demand it

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I'll take the Atlanta Hawks. No one cares about them so it won't matter if I run them into the ground.

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

where brooklyn at

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Chronicles posted:

where brooklyn at

east of you

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

😱

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
2 spots left!

Assuming we fill it by tomorrow, looking to start on Wednesday but will give official info once it's full