Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

sorry I'm going to have to withdraw from being your Cleveland GM, my schedule for the next few weeks has changed and I can't guarantee I'll be able to get in bid lists regularly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Aye Doc posted:

sorry I'm going to have to withdraw from being your Cleveland GM, my schedule for the next few weeks has changed and I can't guarantee I'll be able to get in bid lists regularly

All good!

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I’ll take the Cavaliers spot

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Or one of the other two, idk

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Ahem

Mavericks.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Drunk Canuck posted:

Ahem

Mavericks.

the peoples champion has returned.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

For a second there you could've got Delon Wright for under $200.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
If no one volunteers you should get chatgpt to be the last spot.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Has anyone ever tracked DC's teams and see if they are, in fact, a group of winners

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Hi I'll join

Edit: Am I the Thunder?

kalensc fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jul 24, 2023

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

kalensc posted:

Hi I'll join

Edit: Am I the Thunder?

Yep

:siren: GAME IS OFFICIALLY FULL :siren:

Will post later tonight some more information (still starting on Wednesday) , thank you all for joining, shall be a fun season yet again!

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

All right, just a few housekeeping things:

• I live in New York, so everything will be in EST. The game will officially begin tomorrow, Tuesday, July, 25 - sometime at night I will post the "Day 1 Roster" of about 20-30 players to bid on. You will either PM me, Discord me, or email me the list of players you would like to bid on (it can be 0 players, it can be 15, as long as you aren't going over your budget). All lists must be sent in by 6:30 PM EST on Wednesday, July 26th. This process will continue until all players are posted, and I will let you know if there are time changes.
  • I will be revealing the won bids around 7:15-7:30 PM EST. Starting a bit earlier this week but then may go back to the normal 8:00 PM time.
  • To make it easier on me, just list the guys you will be bidding on INSTEAD of including the others and putting $0.
  • If you're a new player, or even returning, check out the previous year's bidding to see how teams fared. Indiana didn't bid til later on and composed a team of Curry/Mitchell/Klay/MPJ/Zion/Turner.
  • That's about it! If you have any specific questions about anything, you can ask in thread of via PMS, have fun, don't be too much of a dick to other people but some banter and competition is encouraged!

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
I wanna look back at last year's rosters and see who some of my favorite teams/deals are now though.

On first glance BWV getting Markkanen for $11 is a huge steal, which was less than half of one Marko Simonovic ($25)

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Deadbeat Dad posted:

I wanna look back at last year's rosters and see who some of my favorite teams/deals are now though.

On first glance BWV getting Markkanen for $11 is a huge steal, which was less than half of one Marko Simonovic ($25)

lol

I am still super salty that Josh Hart was really bad for me.

DBD, if we aren't bidding, do you want us to PM you indicating no bids on a particular slate of dudes so you know not to wait for outstanding bids?

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Salvor_Hardin posted:

DBD, if we aren't bidding, do you want us to PM you indicating no bids on a particular slate of dudes so you know not to wait for outstanding bids?

Oh yeah, you can just make the title "not bidding" or something and I can mark it down

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Doltos posted:

Has anyone ever tracked DC's teams and see if they are, in fact, a group of winners

I am a fuckin champion

its The Man that keeps me down

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
It'd be nice to do the simming for a couple seasons to see how teams that go young do.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Lockback posted:

It'd be nice to do the simming for a couple seasons to see how teams that go young do.
Feeling pretty good about my core from last year potentialwise

Cade Cunningham
Jalen Green
Jalen Williams
Jonathan Kuminga
Alperun Sengun

conveniently skating past the minor inconvenience that there's allegedly this other part of the game where the other team gets the ball and you're sposed to stop them

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Deadbeat Dad posted:

I gotta watch more of The Genius

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Salvor_Hardin posted:

lol

I am still super salty that Josh Hart was really bad for me.

Some of the sim ratings are really funny compared to how last season actually went

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
marko simonovic, gorgui dieng and javale mcgee (the spurs famous TRIPLE TOWERS) were integral to my success last year and i will never apologize or feel shame

also i set up a new unofficial google sheets thing for this year. small changes to colour/sizes to be less ugly/similar and barely more legible.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Giggs posted:

marko simonovic, gorgui dieng and javale mcgee (the spurs famous TRIPLE TOWERS) were integral to my success last year and i will never apologize or feel shame

also i set up a new unofficial google sheets thing for this year. small changes to colour/sizes to be less ugly/similar and barely more legible.

You are a lifesaver yet again Giggs, even despite your big men (who were great vibe picks)

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Giggs posted:

Love the choice to go orange and black/gray for the magic, I haven’t loved the execution on any of those jerseys but it’s a good idea and way more legible/distinct from other teams here

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
So here's another dump of last year's draft bumped up against 2022-23 stats if anyone wants to nerd around. This one includes an aborted attempt at projecting statistical performance over the season by lumping players into categories A thru F representing their minutes per game - 2 36mpg guys per team, 2 30mpg guys per team etc. There's more detail on the notes tab.

The link grants edit perms so knock yourself out, I have a separate copy I'm still playing with, but this is one of those projects where reach exceeds grasp :lol:. I'm not hip enough to the math behind weighted stats and don't have the time to invest in learning the basics, maybe one of y'all can make some lemonade though.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Remember folks, you don’t want to be gunshy in the opening rounds. You could find yourself with massive amounts of dollars on hand competing with a dozen other teams to get the last 2 star players. Last year some people overbid early but that is just serving us up for an enormous over correction that could leave you screwed. Use it or lose it!

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

It's true. You should spend as fast as possible because life is short and for all you know the sun could explode at any moment.

Thank you to everyone posting these sheets and of course DBD for arranging this. I've had fun looking back on my teams and happy that last year's aged better than I expected. Shame the so-called sim wronged me but I guess it bailed me out a few years back so I'll take it.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Tbh I don’t think warning people is really going to accomplish anything. We spent the first 3 days of the last thread laughing at overpays and saying we were spending ludicrously too fast and then days 4 and 5 blew the first 3 out of the water.

Someone’s going to sort bballref by win shares per 48 and spend 100 bucks on a backup center. It’s just going to happen

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Paul Zuvella posted:

Someone’s going to sort bballref by win shares per 48 and spend 100 bucks on a backup center. It’s just going to happen

Clint Capela is the most valuable player in basketball

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

BWV posted:

It's true. You should spend as fast as possible because life is short and for all you know the sun could explode at any moment.

Thank you to everyone posting these sheets and of course DBD for arranging this. I've had fun looking back on my teams and happy that last year's aged better than I expected. Shame the so-called sim wronged me but I guess it bailed me out a few years back so I'll take it.
My favorite team was the salary cap team in 2019 where I locked in Booker/Capela to long-term deals and Siakam for like 3 seasons. Plus Huerter and rookie Dort for like 5 years at $5 (and Zhaire Smith for considerably more than that).

I also had Mikal Bridges and the sim had me winning every single game but then I traded Mikal for super cheap Rubio to free up cap space so I could re-sign Siakam in future seasons that never existed and then I started losing a bunch

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I'll be traveling for the next week but should have time to review and bid. Just apologizing in advance if I miss a day or two.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Paul Zuvella posted:

Help. I'm being attacked.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Paul Zuvella posted:

Tbh I don’t think warning people is really going to accomplish anything. We spent the first 3 days of the last thread laughing at overpays and saying we were spending ludicrously too fast and then days 4 and 5 blew the first 3 out of the water.

[Me putting my arm around a new GM] "you gotta spend money to make money , brother."

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

My "Jimmy Butler + one other good player + unheralded scrubs" strategy from last year didn't go so great in the sim, but in real life it was good enough for second place so maybe I knew what I was doing after all.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
ok it wasn't just that I was a complete moron who didn't heed warnings not to overspend early. I wanted to do a scientific experiment to see how a team of literally "jokic and g-leaguers" would do. The answer is about 50% regular season win

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

I will bring the Washing Ton 'Zards to the promised land of overpaying for middling talent

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I need to remind myself not to look at the ratings of players (because aneurysms sound scary) and to also assume that the simulation is kinder than reality w/r/t injuries.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Veryslightlymad posted:

I need to remind myself not to look at the ratings of players (because aneurysms sound scary) and to also assume that the simulation is kinder than reality w/r/t injuries.

iirc injuries are turned off??

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

kingcobweb posted:

iirc injuries are turned off??

We’ve gone back and forth in the sim between low and no injuries I think, but people definitely take that into account in the voting. Like that indiana team obviously has major and value, but they also have no hope of ever seeing the floor together

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

rivetz posted:

So here's another dump of last year's draft bumped up against 2022-23 stats if anyone wants to nerd around. This one includes an aborted attempt at projecting statistical performance over the season by lumping players into categories A thru F representing their minutes per game - 2 36mpg guys per team, 2 30mpg guys per team etc. There's more detail on the notes tab.

The link grants edit perms so knock yourself out, I have a separate copy I'm still playing with, but this is one of those projects where reach exceeds grasp :lol:. I'm not hip enough to the math behind weighted stats and don't have the time to invest in learning the basics, maybe one of y'all can make some lemonade though.

I fixed your sheet for you

I don't remember a whole lot about my team's performance last year but I know that the sim was completely incapable of running the lineup that I wanted so it did really bad even though it did pretty good in voting.

Ant and Brunson as the backcourt for ~$500 is pretty cool though good job me.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Veryslightlymad posted:

Just build the team you like, there is also a Goon Winner so the sim is just one half of something you could win~