Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

New Orleans deep team is too much for the Nuggets, who made a valiant effort to get this far.

Miami and Cleveland duked it out all series long, with Cleveland eking it out in an insane double OT game 7 to get to the finals!

Game 7 boxscore: https://i.imgur.com/Q12o21f.png

kingcobweb and tanglewood1420 - you guys battled hard, but no cigar!

Veryslightlymad's Pelicans and a new study bible's Cavaliers are on to the NBA Finals!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Fuckin’ digital Steph Curry

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

#3 seed Cleveland Cavaliers (a new study bible!) versus #6 seed New Orleans Pelicans (Veryslightlymad)!

wins Game 1 - 111-103. https://imgur.com/6aOUjTn
wins Game 2 - 114-106. https://imgur.com/Tp50Qmv
wins Game 3 - 121-114. https://imgur.com/XIat6tD
wins Game 4 - 118-91. https://imgur.com/HydZybE
wins Game 5 - 130-108. https://imgur.com/Tgoiz16
wins Game 6 - 117-81. https://imgur.com/oysfJ7E
wins game 7 - 127-109. https://imgur.com/9wtJaVK

is your 2023 BYOGM SIM LEAGUE CHAMPION!

Grats to a new study bible! who built a hell of a team, but Veryslightlymad's Pelicans were too deep to beat this season!

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I didn't click on all the boxscores but would've loved Trae Young to be finals MVP?

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho
Some random stats before we end:

League Leaders: https://imgur.com/aeOJXdm

Statistical feats: https://imgur.com/Tf7ORjh

Team stats: https://imgur.com/zcW8y3q

Award races: https://imgur.com/vULLcEn

All-star game: https://imgur.com/ybiUUhF

Top 100 min player stats: https://imgur.com/iHmVuKg (Edwards got blocked off but it's 24 ppg)

Thank you guys for joining! See ya next year!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

lol 41-41 as the 11 seed is this the 2000s again

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Giannis not showing up as a top 10 guy in any advanced stat...not great for my squad

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

a Washington Wizards first round exit, all is right in the world

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
That sim Jokic was not worth $570

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Congrats to the Pels and also congrats to DBD for another great season of BYOGM. Thank you for taking the time to run it, and sorry I was too busy playing BG3 to see the results in real time.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Drafting Herro and Portis and getting Lonnie Walker to 6thMotY is hilarious to me

Lonnie averaged as many minutes as my starters, did I only have a 6 guy rotation or what?

edit: I was top 3 in 2 point FG%, FTs and Assists, I was playin some 2004 rear end basketball apparently, and it got results based on having the third most wins in the regular season. Even with Kawhi seeming regressing.

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Aug 18, 2023

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Paul Reed in the DPotY conversation rules.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
DBD could you post the year-end summary page that has all-league teams, finals mvp, 6moty, etc?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

kalensc posted:

I feel like the sim could have Bones end up being like the 6MOY or something.

Runner-up!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Thank you very much for running this every year DBD this was a ton of fun.

Both finals teams were well built, the knicks were the best team in the league, most likely, according to advanced stats

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

Thanks for running this DBD, this was really fun. Congrats to the Pels for winning and Nic Claxton for making the all-star team.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

kingcobweb posted:

DBD could you post the year-end summary page that has all-league teams, finals mvp, 6moty, etc?

Third team all league: Garland-LaMelo-Ingram-LaVine-Dejounte
Second team all league: Steph-Trae-Shai-Bam-Haliburton
First team all-league: Zion-Embiid-Doncic-Lillard-Harden

First team all defense: Sochan-Allen-Okongwu-Bam-JJJ
Second team all defense: Murray-Reed-Smart-Okoro-Capela
Third team all defense: Clax-Timelord-Gobert-Brown-Doncic (??)

Anthony Edwards slam dunk contest winner
Luke Kennard 3 point contest winner

Doncic was yesteryear's Tatum in terms of best sim player

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

emailing those stats to Zach Lowe and going off the record to say "The Raptors are wondering if Jayson Tatum has what it takes."

Very excellent season everyone. Always a treat.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Portland with most improved player and roty. We’re gonna be good next year 😎 and we should have a good draft pick (not that that will matter with next years draft class)

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Lauri with finals MVP is wild.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Brought the 3pt shootout trophy to Chicago that's all that matters baby

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

DBD as always, thanks for running the sim.

My Kings were regular season solid, but flamed out in the first. Art imitates life or something

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Regret not setting Luka at ++

Another fun year, thanks dbd

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Regret not setting Luka at ++

Another fun year, thanks dbd

Heavy minutes screwed a lot of teams, I think he was at the perfect minutes!

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
What an awesome session - nice work everyone and huge thanks to DBD.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
I think this the third time I've been the #1 seed in the East in the sim and am still to make the finals.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Redeemed.

'23 was a good year for me, winning the Playoff Prediction thread and the BYOGM Sim League. Don't.... don't look too closely at the rest of my life, please.

EDIT
drat, just going over all the extra details it seems my two biggest advantages were 1)Not screwing with minutes over what the Sim already does and 2)Acquiring Okongwu.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Aug 18, 2023

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Deadbeat Dad posted:

15th place in the Eastern Conference is... Paul Zuvella's 14-68 Philadelphia 76ers!

GM comment: "Uh... what the gently caress happened? :laffo:"

Reporter comment: "Paul Zuvella is apparently cursing out every player, the Commissioner, the coach.. it's not a good look inside of that locker room right now."

Insider comment: "Apparently Zuvella set + for almost every starter, negative for the 5 bench guys, and 0 for 5 others.. All the starters averaged 14-17 points, Brunson and LeBron both averaged over 22+ points... but these guys are exhausted. The bench gave them little to nothing with barely any minutes. This ain't 2K, and Zuvella forgot what worked for him last year and completely messed up the lineups.

15th place in the Western Conference is... G-Hawk's 13-69 Houston Rockets!

Insider comment: "This was a bit expected. It was Ja just babysitting a bunch of young guys. Wemby and the kids did decent, but too many teams were experienced and bullied them. Look out for them in a few years."

Wut. You said people set to a - would play 15 minutes a game!

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

Paul Zuvella posted:

Wut. You said people set to a - would play 15 minutes a game!

tanglewood corrected me after, but Mathurin/Prince/Hart got 10-17 mpg. Regardless though putting 4 starters on + maxed them around the 40 threshold I also warned about so ~math~ just hosed your team for some reason. I actually did another version as a backup in case with no extra minutes just to see what the hell happened and you missed the playoffs there too (not as badly) but it just did not like your team for some reason, it was the only one that shocked me for obvious reasons, esp since all your starters were rated 60+

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Aug 18, 2023

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

You’re pretty much best off letting the game set minutes for you, with the exception that you probably want to to 0 out any players you have that are really bad and you might want to + a player who is “better than their ovr” but without seeing sim results it’s very hard to say who that will be.

Cool game. Really enjoyed spectating. Would love to play the next one.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Aug 18, 2023

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I was pleasantly surprised the sim gave minutes to Diallo when his OVR is supposedly the worst on my team. But yeah, my sole instruction to DBD was to start Brogdon if the sim didn't automatically start either him or Lowry. It opted for Lowry and he apparently ran the clock back a little. So even my one not quite a judgment call would have been the wrong one, sim wise.

Anyhow, this was fun, everyone. Thanks to DBD for running this and putting up with me sleeping through at least two different days.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

This is not a complaint, I think it’s more fun in a lot of ways, but the results from this sim are much crazier than whatever we used before. Not that VSM didn’t have a great team (he did) but stuff like 3rd team all defense Luka and last place Sixers lmao

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

DeimosRising posted:

This is not a complaint, I think it’s more fun in a lot of ways, but the results from this sim are much crazier than whatever we used before. Not that VSM didn’t have a great team (he did) but stuff like 3rd team all defense Luka and last place Sixers lmao

Eh, I think people forget sims are taking a bunch of players never playing together before, with very simple rotations and spitting it out and sometimes things just go wonky. And if you also tell posters to predict 10-15 things in the NBA before the season starts, you're going to get a few teams waaaay below where people thought while others surprise. Obviously that Philly team or Clippers team would not be as bad as they were IRL or Jokic being kinda just solidly elite instead of MVP, but the Philly thing was the real egregious thing for some reason.

But yeah, the 2K sim we had for one season had some 3rd stringer scrub averaging like top 10 scorer in the league PPG and the Wolverine Studio one is pretty solid (besides fouls, woof) but in a league I'm in on another site, someone had exploited guys like Terry Taylor and Moses Brown to literally put up the equivalent of Shawn Marion and Anthony Davis stats. It was kinda wild, so they're all unpredictable especially when you mash all of these guys together, which makes it fun :) I've realized all of these sims LOVE when guys like Harden or Doncic are great defenders though. It's weird.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Deadbeat Dad posted:

Eh, I think people forget sims are taking a bunch of players never playing together before, with very simple rotations and spitting it out and sometimes things just go wonky. And if you also tell posters to predict 10-15 things in the NBA before the season starts, you're going to get a few teams waaaay below where people thought while others surprise. Obviously that Philly team or Clippers team would not be as bad as they were IRL or Jokic being kinda just solidly elite instead of MVP, but the Philly thing was the real egregious thing for some reason.

But yeah, the 2K sim we had for one season had some 3rd stringer scrub averaging like top 10 scorer in the league PPG and the Wolverine Studio one is pretty solid (besides fouls, woof) but in a league I'm in on another site, someone had exploited guys like Terry Taylor and Moses Brown to literally put up the equivalent of Shawn Marion and Anthony Davis stats. It was kinda wild, so they're all unpredictable especially when you mash all of these guys together, which makes it fun :) I've realized all of these sims LOVE when guys like Harden or Doncic are great defenders though. It's weird.

Oh yeah they’re all nuts in different ways. I picked up one of the 2k games three or four years ago because it was free on psplus and Kevin Durant averaged a triple double and the leading scorer in the league was a third (?) year Markelle Fultz. Sports are hard to simulate I’m sure and you want to add in some surprise factor, not just spit out a slight variation on the previous year.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

We don’t know, that Sixers team is old. Maybe this is the year Lebron falls off a cliff.

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

a new study bible! posted:

We don’t know, that Sixers team is old. Maybe this is the year Lebron falls off a cliff.

Putting Gordon and Vucevic back together is some bad juju, Vuc is pining for Fournier

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

DeimosRising posted:

Well, basically everyone agrees that the teams had far more parity this time around. More Parity equals more random results. it would be interesting to see something like 100+ sims with average data between everything but obviously that's not something anyone is expecting nor should anyone really do.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Paul Zuvella posted:

Well, basically everyone agrees that the teams had far more parity this time around. More Parity equals more random results. it would be interesting to see something like 100+ sims with average data between everything but obviously that's not something anyone is expecting nor should anyone really do.

Very fair. Thinking about it more, there’s almost no team I would pick as being obviously at the bottom, so

Edit: also I could see Lebron becoming old at which point the Sixers are the 2019 magic with a better point guard, which isn’t a last place team but isn’t good. However, Luka will never be third team all defense and I would bet my life on that

DeimosRising fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Aug 18, 2023

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
Well I personally thought the Sixers didn't have anywhere near enough shooting around LeBron and would be v. bad on defense. :colbert:

I did not have them missing the playoffs though lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I always like to look how Goon voting ended up vs SIM results. Here are just the top teams from the poll with their conference finish:

Orlando Magic x13 -4th
Phoenix Suns x13 - 6th
Toronto Raptors x12 - 9th
Philadelphia 76ers x12 - Last LOL
Miami Heat x10 - 1st
Cleveland Cavaliers x10 - 3rd
Golden State Warriors x10 - 8th
Indiana Pacers x8 - 5th