Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I think it's because of the limit on how long the video could be. It made people be more creative to fit something into the six seconds. Something about the end of it usually getting cut off also somehow made it funnier. I hate tiktok though so I may be biased.
Like 90 percent of these make me laugh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI2uGmdzhzw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

black people used vine

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
I want to punch the 'berries' guy in the face so bad

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i’ve hidden the berries, he will not find them again

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:
And they were room mates

Konar
Dec 14, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
tiktiokers are trying to make money

vine wasn't paying creators and the whole influencer thing hadn't happened as much yet

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Too short for weird fetish vids?

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

people used vine because they were funny people use tiktok because they think they’ll become a millionaire that way? idk

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post

Endorph posted:

black people used vine

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Endorph posted:

black people used vine

black people use tiktok too :confused:

it's definitely the length. there are some funny tiktoks but there are so many where someone feels like they need to explain something or teach some important message, which is unfunny, but no one is going to try to say anything important in 6 seconds.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Vine had some kid who hosed a hot pocket that is basically where social media of any kind peaked

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
the key to enjoying tiktok content is not having a tiktok account. anything worthwhile will eventually show up elsewhere.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
nostalgia and youtube compilations. most of vine was garbage or ads most of tik tok is the same except its not brands paying someone to do a funny skit with the label out towards the camera its insane people selling insane poo poo to you.

that said there are good tiktoks street food ones are the ones i like but ive seen good memes. i feel like the comedy skit ones are mostly all bad though. they are all 1 guy playing every part using a filter to change their character and just being like im x ethnicity my mom beat me when i did this lmao. or my mom favored the younger child and hated the older child and ignored the middle child lmao.

i have found some decent stand ups through tik tok though they usually just put one joke from a set in it

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Vine is dead so it can never get worse and we'll remember the fun poo poo that was on there while the terrible poo poo is gone forever.

TikTok still lives so we'll see more debased and horrible poo poo, like 16 year Olds selling vapes and energy powder (Use code: SickShrek for 10% off)

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Endorph posted:

black people used vine

Earwicker posted:

black people use tiktok too :confused:

funny black people used vine

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
you were younger and it wasn't as big in the pop culture

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

nah thats not it

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

FilthyImp posted:

Vine is dead so it can never get worse and we'll remember the fun poo poo that was on there while the terrible poo poo is gone forever.

TikTok still lives so we'll see more debased and horrible poo poo, like 16 year Olds selling vapes and energy powder (Use code: SickShrek for 10% off)

hey where can i use this code bro

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Dixville posted:

I think it's because of the limit on how long the video could be. It made people be more creative to fit something into the six seconds. Something about the end of it usually getting cut off also somehow made it funnier. I hate tiktok though so I may be biased.
Like 90 percent of these make me laugh:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI2uGmdzhzw

Some drat fine classics in here.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Vine didn't pay poo poo, so most of the videos were on other platforms in a longer format. The full length videos were absolute garbage, even if the 6 second vine was great. The same creators continued making the long form videos after Vine shuttered, and they were still garbage, so it wasn't Vine causing their long videos to be poo poo, it was the 6 second limitation forcing them to produce better videos. Too bad it wasn't sustainable.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Nooner posted:

Vine had some kid who hosed a hot pocket that is basically where social media of any kind peaked

Was this better than the guy who hosed a raw chicken?

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

I"M SEMI
I STAY AUTOMATIC
MONEY ADD THEN MULTIPLY
I CALL IT MATM-MATHIMATICS

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Vine had fewer hidden motivations than pure entertainment than TikTok does, part of the reason why it wasn't financially successful IMO

less diluted product is more effective, generally

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Vine didn't last long enough for the "set up a joke in 5 seconds and execute punchline in the 6th second" format to get old, but it would have. If Vine had lived on it also would have likely succumbed to changes to make it more like other apps and then eventual enshitification.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

snergle posted:

nostalgia and youtube compilations. most of vine was garbage or ads most of tik tok is the same except its not brands paying someone to do a funny skit with the label out towards the camera its insane people selling insane poo poo to you.

that said there are good tiktoks street food ones are the ones i like but ive seen good memes. i feel like the comedy skit ones are mostly all bad though. they are all 1 guy playing every part using a filter to change their character and just being like im x ethnicity my mom beat me when i did this lmao. or my mom favored the younger child and hated the older child and ignored the middle child lmao.

i have found some decent stand ups through tik tok though they usually just put one joke from a set in it

I've never looked at stand up comic tiktoks I can see where that could be good. I just refuse to use tiktok most of the time so maybe I'm missing some comedy gold

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
watched about five minutes of the video and i think it's cos you don't have time to figure out what's going on before it's happening and you've got zero context. surprise and confusion and nonsense in 6 seconds. you don't really have time to turn against it.

bitch i'm washing me and my clothes

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

roomtone posted:

bitch i'm washing me and my clothes
I never even sought a vine out until after it ended and this line lives in my brain forever for some reason.

Most compilations are pretty solid imo.

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin
Theyre both equally annoying tbh

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Nooner posted:

How hot was it?

The hot pocket, not the video

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

"I'm in my mum's car, vroom, vroom!"

"𝓖𝓮𝓽 𝓸𝓾𝓽 𝓶𝓮 𝓬𝓪𝓻!"

"Aw..."

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
drat, there are some people & things that I had no idea where from Vines, like Drew Gooden and that one outdoor shot that pans to the smiling Black guy

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i love you bitch
i aint gon never stop lovin you
bitch

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

Free shavacadoo

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I laughed at 0% of those before turning it off.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

I laughed at 0% of those before turning it off.

Henry Lee Mucus
Dec 11, 2003

Man was the realest character in the past fifty years

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Five Second Films is still around. I presume. I'm not going to their website or Youtube channel.

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008
thinking ol' Billy Shakes may have been on to something when he said brevity is the soul of wit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Animal-Mother posted:

Five Second Films is still around. I presume. I'm not going to their website or Youtube channel.

I think I’ve only seen the tourist one but I’ll always remember “piece a pizza! Fuhgeddaboutit!” *gunshot* *cat yowl*