Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I was a kid in the 80s during the height of this stuff and honestly I never really got the sense that adults were taking it very seriously. Like everybody seemed worried that pop culture was too nihilistic or anti-social but stuff like back-masking seemed like it was a big joke to most people.

Growing up Southern Baptist in Texas, my grandmother 100% believed that Satan and demons were real and that if you brought anything associated with fantasy, spiritualism, or the occult within the walls of her house that meant demons were invited in. My mother and father were kind of in-between, not necessarily believing it 100% literally but also not dismissing it as much as they should have. They were also briefly Sunday School teachers, which happened to coincide with the SBC promotion of the video by con artists Gary Greenwald and Phil Phillips: Deception of a Generation (and Phil Phillips's book Turmoil in the Toybox).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhZrpbY4DqQ

Because of the content of that book and video, my parents decided to throw away the majority of me and my brother's toys. (I think the only things that didn't get thrown out were the GI Joes and Legos.)

It is difficult to truly convey just how deeply stupid parents were back in the 80s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

chefscientist posted:

Born 83 raised in evangelical churches So Cal so felt it petty hard. Mixed right in with stranger danger. My mom is still worried about D&D and still thinks Satan is trying to destroy the country?

On Facebook I saw some slightly younger people post links to a "reformed Satanist" who claimed he'd dress up in a red robe and sacrificed babies at Planned Parenthood. Like yea okay Satanic magic is real you gormless twats.

In the late-90s and early-00s, some Wiccan groups started trying to shut down these "reformed Satanist"/"former witch"/etc hustlers by attending and recording their events. Then when they told some ridiculous STDH story about killing a baby or doing a blood sacrifice, they would call the police and report that the speaker had just publicly confessed to committing a murder. That seemed to get some of them to roll back their bullshit for a while.