Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

The Stolen Lands, it's a name that pretty much screams adventure and danger.
But I'm not there yet, I'm a young adventurer at the heroes acadamy, finding out what kind of person I really am. A few more weeks and I'll be ready to strike out on my own, maybe get myself a slot in an adventuring party, kill some rats under the tavern and work my way up, like my dad did.
Before the owlbear ate him. Or so mum says.
All I know, is it's going to be interesting.

Welcome to Pathfinder Kingmaker – this is the PC game based on the classic campaign that sees you go from a level 1 hero to the king of a nation (It's not a spoiler, its in the name of the game)

This uses the Pathfinder rules, which for you Tabletop nerds who have somehow not heard of it, is a offshoot of Dungeons and Dragons 3.5, made when people got salty about the changes made in 4th Edition.
I don't care, I have no intention of playing this or D&D in real life, there are far better games out there. Okay, maybe not better, but ones that fit with how I play better. Every god drat RPG rule set out there is flawed in some way.
Anyway! I digress!

We;re going to be rolling up a new character, and so the first few updates will be us doing that – you'll see why in a bit. But hopefully they can be done quickly and we can move on.
First up, we need to choose a name and a portrait.

This is the games list.

But there is a custom portrait – so I can take suggestions (or I have stable diffusion if we need to get VERY custom)
Next up, we need to choose a race. (Not species, implying that like most fantasy worlds, there was one ancestor species and some very intense evolutionary pressures.
Or magic. Yeah, a Wizard did it.
Anyway, being a D&D offshoot, these guys are about as generic as you can get.

Good old dependable humans. Apparently we're the invasive species that arrives on every world.
You can do pretty much anything with a human. As we can see, humans are horny as all hells.

Elves, stuck up tree loving bastards. Agile and magic.

You just knew it would be dwarves next, didn't you – dour and sturdy, their main ability is not dying.

Gnomes, creatures of fey origin that are often spotted squatting in peoples guardens.

Even smaller than Dwarves, hobbits Halflings are great for delivering cursed jewellery to places, they are slow up steady wins the race types. And are lucky enough to not die.

Half Elves exist because humans cannot keep it in their pants for five seconds. They are the middle ground between the two races. Interestingly.

Half orcs exist because love is universal. THAT IS THE ONLY REASON – apparently orcs are a universally evil race, so you have to put some human in them (hur hur hur) to make them playable.
As always I question the lack of half Dwarf, half Gnomes and Quarterlings. The whol half thing shows that races may actually be the correct term, but the game designers just seem to cop out.

Last up, we have the Aasimar, people who's (surprise, surprise, human) ancestors got a visit from someone with godlike powers and proceeded to get it on. Generations later you get a demigod.

So, we have some good choices there – so we should move on to the classes. There are a lot of them, with subclasses – I'm not going to go through all the subclasses – just vote for something that looks cool.

Alchemists are the scientists of the world – they come in tinkerer, exploder, warcrime, and healer flavours.
Alchemists tend to live short lives.

Barbarians love to hit things – you can be bog standard Conan, Guy who knows what armour is, Crazy or a Berserker.

Bards are support characters – and as well as the traditional sex loon, you can also be Indiana Jones – which is a odd but cool choice, then two other weird additions.
I feel like they had trouble coming up subclasses for this one and went sod it.

Clerics! For when your god hates everyone who does not believe in them – Crusaders are a little more up front, the Herald is here to give everyone the good (or bad) news, and the last guy I think is a small pasty filled with currents.

Druids, the stoners choice. Though maybe your here to spread swamps, or summon Captain Planet. Or just try and stop the fay from stealing babies.

Fighters, they most hated class by RPG designers – you basically exist to take or deal damage.

I for one did not expect the fantasy inquisition! Do you want to see evil at every turn, well, here we are!

Magus are magic users, with the ability to get really good at hitting things with swords or bows, they are the applied magic users, rather than the spellslingers.

Unlike real monks who spend their lives not speaking and/or leaching off the surrounding communities, fantasy monks are actually martial art experts who get out there and hit things.
I have no idea what a traditional monk is, but I love the idea of a slightly overweight middle aged man with a vow of silence going on an adventure. I'm sure it's not this though.

Ahh, the god-bothering Paladins. For when you want inter-party conflict and the ability to be a dick every time the thief actually uses their skills. They are here to take a beating and keep on ticking.

Rangers move and hit – they like to pick on specific races, but are your tracker types.

Rouges put on heavy makeup and hang around on street corners. Dammit! Dyslexia strikes again!
Look, rogues steal stuff and open doors. They are useful to have in any party, because we all know that any adventure can be stopped for 20 minutes by a simple locked door.

Witchers slayers are monster hunters – a useful thing to have in any fantasy world!

While wizards spend their lives learning magic, a sorcerer just gets up one day and decides to break the laws of really over their knee.

Don't feel bad for wizards though, caster supremacy means that if they can survive the first few levels on 1 hit point, they soon become the destroyers of worlds.

The rest of the choices really depend on what we choose, so I'll leave that for update 2!

TLDR version

name and a portrait.
Race
Class & Subclass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

"Lucky" louis, portrait row 2 column 6
halfling
Inquisitor*

It's quite hosed up that modern fantasy uses inquisitors considering what they did IRL, but I just love that hat.

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.
drat I hate to mostly agree but as I was reading down it all became clear.

Row 2 column 6
Gnome
Inquisitor

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

Row 2, Column 1
Half-Orc
Rogue, whichever subclass is the sneakiest

Also tempted to go with the B.J. Hunnicutt-looking guy in the third row as a healer class

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Row 1, Column 3
Half orc
Archaeologist

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Sweet! Glad to see this.

Half Orc Inquisitor with custom Croctapus portrait gets my vote. I’m surprised you’re not using the Wild Cards dlc which includes half-demon and -devil Tieflings along with Elements-bending Kineticists.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Ballbot5000 posted:

drat I hate to mostly agree but as I was reading down it all became clear.

Row 2 column 6
Gnome
Inquisitor
I vote for this with two changes:
1) The only proper gnome name is Shmebulock
2) A custom portrait to go with it

The trouble with the portraits the game offers you is that quite a lot of them are in-game NPCs and that one in particular is pretty important in the first chapters.

Oh, and regarding the DLCs, I'd suggest at least getting the super-dungeon one, it is a pretty cool addition to the campaign. That being said, good luck, this game can be pretty merciless even with the myriad custom difficulty options they introduced.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Row 4, Column 4
Grondalf
Half-Orc Wizard

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Ah good, I kinda wanted to play this but didn't want to have to deal with Pathfinder 1e.

Gort fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jul 25, 2023

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Old old editions of dnd did in fact have half dwarf, half gnome, and quarterling.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The massive dungeon dlc is indeed awesome. I like the Wild Cards one too. And I hope you’ll download extra portraits. If you pick the wrong one, you’ll get some random portraits assigned to the NPC with your portrait and not all fit the NPC well.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Row 2, column 1
Rand Babyeater
Human Eldritch Scion (Or Paladin for the extra humor. Everything is technically legal when you're king!)

I mean, come on, look at that face. She still has baby blood running down her chin for crying out loud!

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Row 2, Column8
Aasimar
Eldritch Scion
Stabby, spells, and Charismatic leader!

L.U.I.G.I
Apr 19, 2023

i cant believe i was the useless piece of shit who managed to rig all the Library of Ruina LP thread polls and all i got was this account and shitty avatar.

pls say hi and heckle me
No Vote
Aasimar because having sex with God seem like fun
Magus and/or Eldritch Scion

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Jekajerk, Row 5, Column 2
Gnome
Inquistor

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

anilEhilated posted:

The trouble with the portraits the game offers you is that quite a lot of them are in-game NPCs and that one in particular is pretty important in the first chapters.

Good to know!

Celeste Noblesbane
custom portrait
Aasimar
Slayer

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Aasimar
Archeologist

I only played a bit of wrath of the righteous, but making a character in that one was one of the hardest things I've ever done in a CRPG.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Ah, Pathfinder. Two Owlcat games I love and hate at the same time. I love how big they are; how wonderful the music is, especially in WotR; I love NPCs from WoTR and I admit this is the best isometric cRPG since Baldur's Gate 2. At the same time I loving hate all puzzles*, Kingmaker end location, the fact that both games are filled with tedious trashmob fights and that despite having over 20 archetypes half of them is meme tier or lazy repaint of another archetype.

Both games are also pure slavjank, both in good and bad ways.

*and Owlcat keeps adding them despite basically everyone hating them. Amazing.

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

By popular demand posted:

"Lucky" louis, portrait row 2 column 6
halfling
Inquisitor*

Seconded. I also think Inquisitor is just a really fun class. I like that mechanically it's basically a divine version of a Bard (Bard = some Fighter, some Thief, some Mage, and some support stuff, Inquisitor = some Paladin, some Thief, some Cleric and some support stuf), and I like flavour-wise the idea of a holy order that a temple calls on for tasks that require a bit more, uh, ethical flexibility than what Paladins can get up to.

And Halflings are just objectively the most fun race. Make him an Inquisitor of Cayden Cailean, tasked with ferreting out and smiting wicked publicans that water down their beer.

(I can't actually remember if Cayden is an option in this game, it's been forever since I played it)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Row 2, Column 2

Aasimar

Defender of the True World

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Row 2 Column 6, for obvious reasons.

Aasimar for good inquisitor stats and useful abilities.

Inquisitor (Subclass: Sacred Huntsmaster) Inquisitor is a fun class, and most classes have a +pet option. This is the animal companion choice for it, and animal companions are really good. Pick the most crocatapus-like option.

Name Grey, because of the subclass.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Okay! I've picked up the season pass as it was only a tenner.

So, Gnome Inquisitor won the vote! So lets move on to stage 2!

And this is the magnificent bastard we're going to be.
Spoiler for those who have played the game
yes, I know he's a major NPC, but I can work with that

Base inquisitor would give us this.

Basically, we'd get to go around being all judgemental on people, which lets us kill them better.

But maybe we're the type of Inquisitor that kills monsters with other monsters.

Or a tactical leader who shouts orders while hiding at the back.

The final subclass is a sacred huntsman that gets a pet.

Next up we have to think about what type of person our inquisitor is – they need an aliment, the most D&D of all things! This will affect how I play the character of course. So this is the only time it's useful, as a guide for me!

Then we have to choose a god, and oh gods there are a lot of them – and I feel like which god we choose will affect the personality of our character.

Phew. This place needs some Monotheism!

We would then need to select a domain – and again, there are a lot of them!

Let's just say unless someone who has played the game suggests one, I'm going to pick, because my life is not worth listing them all, when they are not all going to be applicable.

What we can choose is ability and skills – as you can see, it's suggested a Inquisitor has good wisdom, but this is goon voting, he's going to be a reckless swole gnome, and I know it!

Skills are fairly self explanatory, but it seems our guy is a bookworm who has yet to leave the libary with a -1 base athletics.

There is also a metric ton of feats, so I'll pick that (or take suggesitons.) - There is a mountain of options here and we could take a year building a character if I have to go through every option.

The same goes for spells which will depend on what other choices we make.

So yeah! I need

A Name
A subclass
A God
An Alignment
Stats

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I can't even with all these options.
My vote is go for maximum dickishness, both in moral standards and in magical powers.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

By popular demand posted:

I can't even with all these options.
My vote is go for maximum dickishness, both in moral standards and in magical powers.

I mean vote evil inquisitor is a valid vote.

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Name: Jekajerk
Subclass: Tactical Leader
God: Asmodeus
Alignment: Lawful Evil

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Grey Hunter posted:

I mean vote evil inquisitor is a valid vote.

Sure but being honestly evil is nowhere as dickish as constantly repeating that you have good reasons as you step down on the face of humanity forever.

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.
Name: Paul Blart
Subclass: sacred huntsman
Alignment: Chaotic good
God: Gaiden Cailien (sp?)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Ballbot5000 posted:

Name: Paul Blart
Subclass: sacred huntsman
Alignment: Chaotic good
God: Gaiden Cailien (sp?)

this.

I think it's Cayden Cailean, btw.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Name: Jimmothy
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
Subclass: Monster tactician
Goddess: Calistria

I love bees and ants and termites and I'll make sure you do too and gently caress you up if you even think about squashing that wasp nest you bastard

Slaan fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 26, 2023

Ballbot5000
Dec 13, 2008

Fabricati diem, pvnc.

Grey Hunter posted:

Phew. This place needs some Monotheism!

Oh there will be, there will be...

1. Kill all the other Gods
2. ?
3. Prophet

Ballbot5000 fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jul 26, 2023

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

BraveLittleToaster posted:

This, but with Sacred Huntsmaster as the class so you can have a feline animal companion to stroke while being machiavallian. And go with the Law domain if there is one.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Randalor posted:

This, but with Sacred Huntsmaster as the class so you can have a feline animal companion to stroke while being machiavallian. And go with the Law domain if there is one.
Yeah, this gets my vote.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

BraveLittleToaster posted:

Randalor posted:

Yeah that.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
I agree with plan BraveLittleToaster + Randalor

Subclass: Sacred Huntsmaster

And I'd like to add the stipulation that you should prioritize talking skills, so we can persuade as many people as possible of our very reasonable point of view that Asmodeus is the one true god.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
Probably a bit late, but:

Name: Party Police
God: Cayden Cailean
Alignment: Chaotic Good

We're the party cops, here to make sure everyone is having a good time, on pain of death.

JohnKilltrane
Dec 30, 2020

ZCKaiser posted:

We're the party cops, here to make sure everyone is having a good time, on pain of death.

Seconded.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

ZCKaiser posted:

Since I play good over evil, I’m voting this way. But I’m also down for Sacred Huntmaster with Smilodon companion & other attributes of your choice. Ultimately what you can work with should be more important than our votes imo. You’re the LPer, I know you have the skills to pull off a quality LP of this game however it ends up.

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Kanthulhu posted:

And I'd like to add the stipulation that you should prioritize talking skills, so we can persuade as many people as possible of our very reasonable point of view that Asmodeus is the one true god.

gently caress it, let's go full lawyer up this kingdom

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Kanthulhu posted:

OK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I just started playing this game because this thread reminded me it was in my steam library and it actually plays surprisingly well on a steam deck. That being said, what the hell, cat animal companions don't give a bonus to persuasion? How am I supposed to be a lawful evil rear end in a top hat with a viper?