Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Slaan posted:

All those heretics not voting to join your leopard eating faces party are going to wish they joined the leopard eating faces party soon enough.

:hmmyes:

Call it Hindsight, those who get on the wrong side of it will know only regret. Briefly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
I hope this LP is going to cover Wrath of the Righteous too, because there is absolutely splendid Lawful Evil gnome NPC there.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

AJ_Impy posted:

Call it Hindsight, those who get on the wrong side of it will know only regret.
I like that, only I'd go fancier and call it Epimetheus.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Szarrukin posted:

I hope this LP is going to cover Wrath of the Righteous too, because there is absolutely splendid Lawful Evil gnome NPC there.

I know no spoilers, but can we befriend them and make horrible little lawyer gnomes with them? Either through romance or multi-classing into a necromancer and raising the dead works for this phrasing.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Call the kitty Toothy

Wait, scratch that. Call our kitty Law so we can tell the peasants who come to plead with us on your future kingdom "Let's see what Law says" before we feed them to the cat.

Kanthulhu fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 29, 2023

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019

anilEhilated posted:

I like that, only I'd go fancier and call it Epimetheus.
Seconding this suggestion, kitty deserves only the fanciest name.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Ok I’m reading the first update now & sharing my thoughts. Unsure of spoiler policy for this game and Grey Hunter’s knowledge of game lore, please smack me if I violate something.

Speaking directly to Grey Hunter-

I like how you picked the Fire Domain and Leopard pet. Throwing fire and commanding a leopard is badass. I’m also into the character’s rating people for heresy chances. You will want some element skills besides Fire, however- some monsters are immune. Good picks of debuff spells and skills. I would up-vote the name Hindsight for the Leopard- if the game let us name pets. You need a mod for that unfortunately.

[blinks] I thought you were following Asmodeus, a male deity. I suppose he can be female in depiction. Correct me if I’m wrong please.

Good documentation of the game screenshots and dialogue. I appreciate the commentary.

Awesome! You got the Wildcards dlc. Tip- Kaessi may be a hellspawn but Asmodeus is the King of Hell so you might want to support her. Or maybe you’re role playing your lack of game knowledge. Or maybe I’m the one who lacks knowledge here. Who’s your deity again? Did Asmodeus deceive your character about who he is? Are you not honestly playing your alignment? As an inquisitor you need to motivate people to follow your God’s laws lest they suffer… I think lawful evil people actively enjoy making others suffer in most cases. Maybe you haven’t decided how to role play this yet. Maybe I don’t I know what’s going on here. I’ll just let you show off the game and enjoy the read.

Jaethal is a useful character. She’s immune to many debuffs and is strong in combat. Linzi can help buff your party. Both have lots of class skills, so you can build them in various ways. Jaethal is more melee combat focused with her scythe imo while Linzi makes for the better spell caster and ranged character. But both have a stat spread so you can build them varied ways.

Tartuccio I’m not commenting on because he doesn’t stay in the party very long. Harrim is one of the most useful characters in the game. Early healer, good combat skills, his dour attitude can be amusing. You’ll get more specialized people with better personalities later, though. The prologue shows off Kaessi & Amiri as strong characters and they are that, but the limited time you have their assistance doesn’t allow me to say much about them yet. They get more useful once you are allowed to keep them as allies and build them accordingly.

Valerie is a very polarizing character in the game. Good in combat but be careful with reacting to her personality. I’ll wait till I see how you relate to her to share more of my own thoughts.

Linzi is an over enthusiastic fan girl for our character. Judge her book based on that. Should be interesting to see how she responds to a player with her opposite alignment. She is using us and assigning us a preferred personality, wonder if she realizes that. These can be high crimes.

You get support from Amiri no matter what at the end of the first mission. As GiantRockFromSpace said, two of four other characters (Valerie vs Harrim, Linzi vs Jaethal)join you based on expressed alignment. This motivates some players to act outside their alignment to get the people they want. Not always smart. But you got a good melee combat party with Valerie (who’s a Fighter, not a Paladin by the way), Amiri, and Jaethal. That should help you. You’ll want a healer and a mage soon- the game hasn’t yet given you the best characters who cover that. PM me if you need tips from a game veteran please. I know where to get good companion characters but wish to hold my spoilers. If you already know the game, please tell me and I’ll be at ease. If you don’t want to respond to me that’s also fine. I’ll hope you get tips from other sources if needed and are not playing blind like I fear you are.

Randalor- The gnome in WotR is indeed awesome. His name is Regil Derenge and I invite you and other interested players to google that name for info on his character, romance ability, etc. I too hope Gray Warden plays WotR after this game.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Name the murder kitty Rodem, after Rugal Bernstein's panther. That, or Epimetheus like the others.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Call him Scratchfever after the magnificent YOU AWAKEN IN RAZOR HILL

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Been awake for near 22 hours at this point so apologies if you said this, but will you be using mods? specifically ones that remove alignment restrictions from certain choices later in the game that potentially screw you quite badly if you aren't one specific alignment?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

King Doom posted:

Been awake for near 22 hours at this point so apologies if you said this, but will you be using mods? specifically ones that remove alignment restrictions from certain choices later in the game that potentially screw you quite badly if you aren't one specific alignment?

No, no mods, but I can add any you think are 100% nessersary!

achtungnight posted:

Ok I’m reading the first update now & sharing my thoughts. Unsure of spoiler policy for this game and Grey Hunter’s knowledge of game lore, please smack me if I violate something.

Speaking directly to Grey Hunter-

As I mentioned in the OP, I've never played Pathfinder, so lore is fine, hints are also fine as long as its not along the lines of "you'll want to do this before this happens" - obviously story spoilers are a no-no, I've not finished the main campaign, so this is a kinda blind runthrough.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Regarding tieflings, they're generally not well regarded anywhere because of their association with the lower planes, but there's nothing innately against them in Asmodean doctrine. You might still dislike or be suspicious of them either because of innate biases or because you don't know WHICH lower plane they're descended from (Asmodeus rules Hell, the Lawful Evil plane of devils, but there's also the Abyss, the Chaotic Evil plane(s) of demons and the mortal enemy of Hell), but there's nothing doctrinally heretical about them.

Basically, to get into character for a Lawful Evil Asmodean clergy member, you need to keep in mind you're effectively an evil(ler?) lawyer combined with a wannabe autocrat. Like, Cleric literally has a lawyer archetype specifically connected to Asmodeus - Asmodean Advocate. You want to come out on top and dominate others, but it should be through nominally legal methods - though trickery to get to that point is entirely fine. Think Faustian bargains, didn't read the fine print, or the serpent in the Garden of Eden for examples of what we're talking about here. Fear is certainly a tool in your toolkit, but it should be the means to the end, not the end in-and-of itself. You're basically aiming to be an unchallenged absolute dictator, and your definition of heresy is going to be things that challenge that. Freedom of the press or speech are likely filthy, filthy phrases and all the populace needs along those lines is the propaganda you're putting out. That sort of thing. You're looking for ordered societies (preferably under your control), so the lawless, bandit-infested Stolen Lands likely give you a minor heart attack and you can't wait to bring order to that chaos. Necromancy doesn't even register in terms of things you frown upon, though the way it's being used could.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 30, 2023

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
I find the Dwarf annoying. He should be made to wear a rubber nose at all times.

The paladin we can rules lawyer. The barbarian will smash anything/everything.

I like the elf with a scythe. She seems friendly!

The halfling is loud and wears bright primary colors, she can be sent into the field of battle first to draw attention.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Linzi seems to be making a poor choice between Jekajerk and Tartuccio if she's turned off by obviously Evil decisions. It's hard to be more obviously so than your idiot doppelganger.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Lord Koth posted:

Regarding tieflings, they're generally not well regarded anywhere because of their association with the lower planes, but there's nothing innately against them in Asmodean doctrine. You might still dislike or be suspicious of them either because of innate biases or because you don't know WHICH lower plane they're descended from (Asmodeus rules Hell, the Lawful Evil plane of devils, but there's also the Abyss, the Chaotic Evil plane(s) of demons and the mortal enemy of Hell), but there's nothing doctrinally heretical about them.

Basically, to get into character for a Lawful Evil Asmodean clergy member, you need to keep in mind you're effectively an evil(ler?) lawyer combined with a wannabe autocrat. Like, Cleric literally has a lawyer archetype specifically connected to Asmodeus - Asmodean Advocate. You want to come out on top and dominate others, but it should be through nominally legal methods - though trickery to get to that point is entirely fine. Think Faustian bargains, didn't read the fine print, or the serpent in the Garden of Eden for examples of what we're talking about here. Fear is certainly a tool in your toolkit, but it should be the means to the end, not the end in-and-of itself. You're basically aiming to be an unchallenged absolute dictator, and your definition of heresy is going to be things that challenge that. Freedom of the press or speech are likely filthy, filthy phrases and all the populace needs along those lines is the propaganda you're putting out. That sort of thing. You're looking for ordered societies (preferably under your control), so the lawless, bandit-infested Stolen Lands likely give you a minor heart attack and you can't wait to bring order to that chaos. Necromancy doesn't even register in terms of things you frown upon, though the way it's being used could.

What do you mean wannabe. The goal is to be a baron

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

disposablewords posted:

Linzi seems to be making a poor choice between Jekajerk and Tartuccio if she's turned off by obviously Evil decisions. It's hard to be more obviously so than your idiot doppelganger.

To be fair to Linzi, it could also be that the reason we gave was more "blatantly rear end in a top hat-ish" than her not wanting to side with evil. If you chose to save the guards, the evil option is basically "Dead men are useless, wounded men are at least meat shields", and remember, she is wanting to write a book and have a good protagonist.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Lord Koth gives a lot of good tips on playing an Asmodeus worshipper. I googled some lore and he’s a pretty big deal in Pathfinder’s pantheon. Binder of Rovagug the God of Destruction, Author of the Contract of Creation (though personally I think Abadar the God of Good Lawyers also had a hand in that), patron of the nation of Chelliax and backer of many Hellknight orders (think Paladins devoted to Law with strict discipline, Judge Dredd or Matrix Agent types). You can look up the lore yourself if interested. I’ll also note that you don’t have to necessarily worship Asmodeus. Create Alecto, Queen of the Erinyes, as his subordinate with the same domains and you can keep worshipping a devil goddess if you like. Your deity becomes a lot bigger a deal in WotR as opposed to Kingmaker.

Regarding tieflings, some of them do try to deny their heritage and go good. There are others who will display chronic backstabbing disorder. So suspicion of them may be warranted. Don’t get me started on Aassimar, they can be pretty bad too.

For game tips, I recommend you look up walkthroughs on YouTube, Neoseeker,, or GameFAQS if necessary. I have seen the game completed and enjoyed blind too, you may want to do that. I can also pm tips or post behind spoilers as you prefer. For spoilers, I desire to not publicly mention specific story plots or hidden secrets till after you post the relevant story content. Hope that’s ok.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Randalor posted:

To be fair to Linzi, it could also be that the reason we gave was more "blatantly rear end in a top hat-ish" than her not wanting to side with evil. If you chose to save the guards, the evil option is basically "Dead men are useless, wounded men are at least meat shields", and remember, she is wanting to write a book and have a good protagonist.

This is one of those times where any diegetic character motivations aren't really relevant to what's going on.

The developers wanted to split the party, and also wanted you to be able to select between the evil/good and chaotic/lawful companions. As a result two people have to end up with Tartuccio, even though he's clearly a little poo poo. So it goes.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Tartuccio's little plots here made me restart the prologue like four times when I got this game. It's clever and like it in hindsight. loving with us like this certainly makes us actually hate the little poo poo

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Would anything special happen if you ditched the ring on the first carcass you come across?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

disposablewords posted:

Would anything special happen if you ditched the ring on the first carcass you come across?

I think he just says something else you did is shady, or skips the dialogue because it literally doesn't matter other than make you dislike the little toad.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

In terms of mods, toybox gives you a lot of options and one of those makes travel quicker, which I could not have done without because you do a huuuge amount of it.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The mod sebmojo describes is called Bag of Tricks (Toy Box is for WotR). It also allows you to tweak various game aspects, insta kill enemies if you’re stuck (you don’t have to do it if you want to fight them), speed up or ease kingdom development (this can be an issue later), name pets, and do lots of other stuff. Highly recommended for any frustrated player. Just a heads up, it can slow down the game.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Bag of Tricks also has toggles to remove alignment specific dialogue choices, which is good because some of the choices that are otherwise locked are really important.

"My Lord, I'm going to throw all these babies into a mincing machine!"
[Chaotic Neutral] "Let's put them in the orphanage instead."
[All other alignments] "Lol."

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Oh yeah. King Doom is right. There’s a lot of problematic situations involving alignment specific dialogue in this game. We’re Lawful, so we should avoid the biggest one. But there are others. Not spoiling.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

There are many good ideas Pathfinder could have taken from classic DnD, restrictive alignment is not one of them.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
So... what's the plan for the playthrough? Have fun with it, or break it over your knee?

I've heard it's really easy to build a really over-powered character in the game.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

painedforever posted:

I've heard it's really easy to build a really over-powered character in the game.
I don't think it's particularly easy so much as possible. The game's default difficulty settings are meant so that a player who mashes autolevel or picks whatever stuff seems cool at the time can get by. It has a million build options though, so someone who enjoys system mastery and optimization can make a party that's much, much stronger than that default one. And if you turn the difficulty knobs all the way up, the game will demand that kind of exploity build.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

sebmojo posted:

In terms of mods, toybox gives you a lot of options and one of those makes travel quicker, which I could not have done without because you do a huuuge amount of it.

My lukewarm take is that both Kingmaker and WotR are borderline unplayable without toybox.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

I guess it's easy to be overpowered in the sense that you can just look up a guide on building an overpowered party and do exactly that. That doesn't sound like much fun to me, but it's a (soon to be) free barony.

Kingmaker ultimately isn't tuned that hard. The highest difficulty ("Unfair") requires knowing the system well, but you don't need to squeeze every drop out of it by maximally optimizing your party. Indeed, a maximally optimized party will plow through the back half of Unfair like butter-plasma through a knife. There's a certain class of grog that will classify that as "easy", but Unfair is fairly brutal if your brain is not packed with 1st edition Pathfinder minutiae and you don't look up broken combos online (and the early game is brutal no matter what you do).

For Normal you need basic D&D archetype knowledge and a willingness to read a lot of tooltips. It'll kill you and encounter balance is all over the place. The difficulty is more from the system being potentially overwhelmingly complex to anyone coming in without prior knowledge, though.

I don't think the mods are all that critical myself, but if there are some aspect of the game you find annoying then you can probably mod it away.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Szarrukin posted:

My lukewarm take is that both Kingmaker and WotR are borderline unplayable without toybox.

Played through Kingmaker and WotR repeatedly, haven't found this to be the case. Never installed either, but am considering it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

From what little I've played into Kingmaker, I would say the worst parts are just the "gently caress you" encounters in the overworld and smaller maps. You see an area that sounds like a decent location to set up a camp? gently caress you, level 13 dryad. Go down the wrong entrance into some caves? Surprise, skeletons with DR! Free camp surrounded by bodies? Level 10+ will of the wisp (though the bodies should have e been a clue to that one). Just stuff straight out of an aggressive DM's game.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Yeah, monsters with DR (damage resistance) against specific attack types are one of the typical Pathfinder gotchas. There are few different ones that'll pop up, and they'll be either annoying or outright kill you first time through if you're not familiar with the system.

Second time you play you just swap in maces on your frontline. I'm not saying that the game going "surprise! this mechanic you've been ignoring can in fact kill you" is good design, exactly, but it's something that'll keep happening and it's usually not going to be insurmountable as long as you read enough combat log tooltips to figure out what's going on and devise an appropriate counter. This may or may not be your definition of a good time.

There will be one or two very difficult optional bosses in each chapter of the game, but they're usually pretty well telegraphed as "hey, something here will gently caress you up". Worst case scenario should be that you die, reload, and come back later. I quite liked those, although some were definitely beyond me the first time I met them. Again, may or may not be your definition of a good time.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
For me the worst part isn't difficulty but tedium. Tedious trash mobs, tedious camp supplies management, tedious debuffs. Tedious buffing before every fight and tedious stat inflated mobs in WotR.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Randalor posted:

From what little I've played into Kingmaker, I would say the worst parts are just the "gently caress you" encounters in the overworld and smaller maps. You see an area that sounds like a decent location to set up a camp? gently caress you, level 13 dryad. Go down the wrong entrance into some caves? Surprise, skeletons with DR! Free camp surrounded by bodies? Level 10+ will of the wisp (though the bodies should have e been a clue to that one). Just stuff straight out of an aggressive DM's game.

What got me is the skrrrrr of your party walking along the road and having to stop every 9 inches to rest.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
At least some encounters are easy to mess with, the Tranquil River Bend is a prime spot to use Grease, for example.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

disposablewords posted:

Yup. If it's not equipped you get different dialogue.

Still get accused of being a spy, mind you, though our evil gnome friend does demand you get searched

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm doing my first playthrough and I'm wondering if I've hosed myself already. I'm on the quest Troll Trouble and Kesten came by and said Trolls are starting to attack the village and you need to hurry up and find their lair. I've been finding all the troll signs for this quest, so it's not like I've been ignoring it or anything. I just did some sidequest stuff while I was investigating the Narlmarches. I'm currently being prompted to go help the mage who was experimenting on Dimwit so I'm assuming I still have some time to complete this before my kingdom falls.

I really enjoy this game, but all the timers on quests give me anxiety and the kingdom management tutorial basically makes you waste time if you don't know how it functions already.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Yeah, that was the biggest thing Bag of Tricks did for me when I played this game. Helped me manage the constant time clock better, predict and stop it when needed. You have time to help the mage, Varg. Just get to the troll lair quickly after that. Or the threat they pose will keep growing till it overwhelms you and you auto fail. If you go far enough west, you should find an old dwarf fortress. That’s the lair. Jubilost is looking for it if you have him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I don't have Jubilost but I'll recruit him on my way to the west. I'm back at the capital currently, so I should be able to resolve Troll Trouble within a week of travel time.

I'm still not used to areas just having spots where there's level 18 monsters that will just loving own you because you upturned the wrong rock or w/e.