Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!

Grey Hunter posted:

I've not decided yet, I'm going to see how things play out character wise.

This is wise. I can think of four good love interests for an LE character in the game, judging by the alignment and various challenges of connecting. One I know is possible (Kanerah), one that will earn you some emotional connection but no physical action until offscreen in the postgame (Jaethal), and two more that will be challenging and I'm honestly not sure they're doable in the playthrough without a careful guide (Valerie, Nyrissa. The other four love interests in the game may not fit our preferences, we haven't really met them yet either. This game is sadly weak on male love interests, in my opinion. The sequel does a bit better, but I still hope for further improvements. Spoilers are only to get people thinking

Spoilers for Pathfinder WotR- My free love hippie female pansexual Azata Ranger used the Toy Box and some other mods to play through every Romance she could. All were lacking in one way or another. We missed out on Wendaug and Aureshalae due to missed options, Lann was overbearing and ultimately unwelcome, Daeran was fun but too into his own vision over what we wanted from him, Sosiel was romantic but also into his own vision over ours (didn't help that we were modding his preferences, I guess, maybe if we had considered his feelings more...), Galfrey's ego made her a one night stand, and we would have liked to get with Seelah, redeemed Nocticula, and Nennio but couldn't due to bad game design. Various other characters made good allies but not love interests, not that the game allowed us to approach them from that perspective anyway. Finally we settled on our fellow tiefling Woljif with the help of another mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Absolutely Nettle's Crossing. We wouldn't want to keep having nightmares, might be bad for our sleep.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

So I know you're interested in the game, which is cool, but could you not post large blocks of spoilers? I know a lot of people can not avoid the temptation to look.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yes please. We can read something that grey hunter posts and mentally go 'I'm sure achtungnight knows all about this' instead

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
No problem. I appreciate the courtesy.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We set off for Nettle crossing.

Along the way we are ambushed by Goblins.

As you may guess, this is a poor life choice!

You can't go five minutes around here without being attacked!

Just chaff dying in the wind.

We arrive at the crossing and check out the prices.

I don't think paying is going to be a problem. I put this on the list of things to rebuild once I have control of the region.

A watery Zombie approaches us.

That's a bit hypocritical Jaethal, unless you are having one of the “Oh but for the grace of god go I” moments.

We find the man who this crossing is named after – he seems to have caught a case of the undead!

It seems he's another of the Stag Lord's victims.

A spear for the Stag Lords head – It's always nice to be paid for something we were going to do anyway!

As it's mostly on our way, and we need to stop off at Oleg's to unload some loot, I decide to make a call at Fangberry cave.

Outside the cave we kill a couple of big lizards. Its amazing their metabolism can survive in this temperate environment.

We then jog merrily into the cave.

We engage the Spiders.

There are a number of them.

We find the Fangberries and start harvesting them.

Owch! They are really sharp!

I've taken less damage in combat than trying to get these stupid berries! And I'm the person with the most knowledge of nature in the party!

We take a break and push deeper into the cave – here we run across a swarm of spiders.

We throw fire at the problem.

They are hard to kill, and once in combat, it is hard to throw the fire without burning my own people.

We get them in the end.

Further in are the bodies of the last poor souls that Bokken sent in to get his berries. There is more to the cave, but I don't think we have the fire to deal with any more swarms of spiders.

On the way out, I get the berries on the first bloody try.

Then it's off to the Trading post.

We're not even through the gate and Oleg is laying down another quest – though this is one Amari seems well up for!

Bokken gets his berries.

I don't even have an answer.

While selling off the good, I realise we have Svetlana's ring. I didn't even notice we'd picked it up. I expected more of a challenge.

we try to hand it back, but start getting her life's story.

Look, I don't care about the family drama, I was just here to do the job you set me.

Next stop will be the temple of the Elk, though we do find this place on the way down.

We arrive, and the Dryad is there to tell me more. Kill all the wildlife. Got it.

That's a big frog!

Yep, this is defiantly a corrupted temple to a lesser god.

These wolves are barely a challenge.

Heading up the steps towards the main temple, This thing will be a challenge.

Our magic and weapons mostly bounce off it!

Amari goes down, but a solid crit and a fireball get through it's defences.

Then Jaethal gets a massive hit on it, chopping its head off in a single blow!

I had to do this fight several times, it's a tough one! I'm, not doing a blow by blow combat as you can see, this game is going to be long enough without that!

Apparently killing these beast will lift the fog! But I've missed some.

A Dire boar – not much of a threat after that magical bear!

The job done, I tell Tristian he is now a part of the Leopards eating Faces party!

Another Devine – everyone in this part follows different gods. Note to self, when we have some down time, do some converting. Or a purge.

We have a choice on what to do net – Talking to Jhod in Oleg's trading post will help us plan for the future.

Tuskgutter is not to far off.

Then there is this big tree that can be seen from miles around.

Finally, the Boggard Hunting grounds could do with clearing.

Hmm, what to do? What to do?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Slaughtering a hog is considered a good thing to open a feast, of mayhem and villainy!

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
The frequency of random encounters in this game can be a pain. And, yes, I too have dealt with enemies far above my party’s levels. Usual tactic- use a mod to balance things out or reload a save.

The spider swarms in Fangberry Cave frustrate many players also. So do the Boggards. The Bear-like Treant takes the cake, however. They actually put an Achievement in the game for taking it out solo at low level.

I vote for Tuskgutter also. Amiri has a craving for bacon and blood.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Ah yes, Ecclesitheurges, the squishier, more magically adept subclass of the Cleric class.

They lose out of the ability to wear armor and most weapons so they can't be anywhere near the front so they're more like Divine Wizards in that regard.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

achtungnight posted:

The spider swarms in Fangberry Cave frustrate many players also. So do the Boggards.
Swarms in general used to be so, so much worse before all the patching. They're still a pain in the rear end, though.

We'll probably get someone more informed about this chiming in when we examine Tristian's skills but he's an interesting character who gets shot down by bizarre design choices.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Aug 6, 2023

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Get the pig

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Tuskgutter!

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

Swarms in general used to be so, so much worse before all the patching. They're still a pain in the rear end, though.

Oh God, considering how much of a goddamn pain they are now, I hate to ask how they were before.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

It bears mentioning that random encounter difficulty is correlated to where on the overworld map you are, rather than your current level. This chapter 1 section is also special and using its own encounter chart separate even from the one that'll be used in this area for the rest of the game (though it's always a low difficulty level area).

This did mean that one amusing bug at launch was that if you were wandering along a certain outlying road in this Chapter 1 section, it was actually drawing encounters from the zone it's directly next to (that will not actually be accessible for several more chapters) rather than the proper Chapter 1 tutorial encounter chart. People were wondering why they were getting jumped by Rocs and Greater Elementals in the supposed tutorial section.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Is there an optimum path, or can you just go wherever? I don't want specifics ('cause y'know, spoilers), but is there a right way that we should be going, or is the game open enough that you can tackle any location if you want?

anilEhilated posted:

Oh, I hate those so much. You can barely target them, and the loving potions and splash damage spells barely damage them, and they keep doing attribute damage so it keeps getting harder to hit them...

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
In general, the game is open, but certain areas are key to each chapter and side quest.

Tristan is not the only character with a lousy initial build. One can improve him and the other NPCs with many guides scattered across the web.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

Randalor posted:

Oh God, considering how much of a goddamn pain they are now, I hate to ask how they were before.

There was more of them and there was absolutely no hint how are you supposed to fight them.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Time to put some Oink on the Barbie!

Amiri is cool. She helps us slaughter things.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Amiri's solution to conflict is SQUARE UP and I love that about her.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Koorisch posted:

Ah yes, Ecclesitheurges, the squishier, more magically adept subclass of the Cleric class.

They lose out of the ability to wear armor and most weapons so they can't be anywhere near the front so they're more like Divine Wizards in that regard.

Eh he'll probably be fine* with a reach weapon, pretty sure he can use longspears. Keeps him in touch spell range and you can skip the ranged feats.

*Situationally

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
It was mentioned earlier in the thread but Amiri is literally the archetype character ("iconic" in pathfinderese) for barbarians in the setting, and represents the class in most official art that features it. As a result she's just pure, distilled schlock fantasy barbarian, Man from Hjelmdall with but the one *giant* zweihänder.

Speaking of her zweihänder: my favorite Kingmaker Amiri fact is that her starting sword is called "Ginormous Sword" and comes with -to hit and +damage modifiers built in because it is so stupidly large. It's technically a bastard sword and benefits from bastard sword feats, it's just sized to be reasonable for giants. The player may be enjoying the narrative and planning their soon-to-be barony; Amiri just wants to hit bigger things with bigger sticks while skipping all the cutscenes like a proper Dark Souls strength build.

Her voice acting is unfortunately a little hit and miss, especially for the early events which I am guessing were recorded first. That doesn't really impact the LP of course.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Every time I boot up a Pathfinder game my husband almost immediately asks if it's the "they go down!" one and is disappointed if it's not. 10/10 voice acting.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Let's make some bacon.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

We set of for Tuskgutters lair.

Amiri is keen to make up for some past slight it would see.

Pride comes before a fall.

But when has that ever stopped a Barbarian?

He's a face-eating Leopard, we may talk to him like he's a human, but he really doesn't understand anything we say.

Tuskgutter hits Amiri hard, and she goes down, so we all pile in.

Strong though he is, the Pig doesn't last long.

Yes yes, you're a big strong warrior and you certainly could have taken that dire boar on your own – let's head back to Olegs.

Some people will not be satisfied.

We take the beast head before we leave.

We get two steps before being waylaid.

Slavers! And they are on the hunt for a new slave.

They are numerous and prepared, I would like to avoid a fight – and Amiri is right, we could track them to their camp and end this threat once and for all.

I give them Jeathal, not only is she immortal, she's also the most havily wounded in the party – she's not able to be healed by the clerics, and has used up her skills.

They leave, and we follow.

We try and track them, but we lose ground – we do find their base however.

As we rest up before the fight, Haram and Valerie discuss religion.

Then we advance, using heavy rain as cover.

We slice into the camp from the east, taking two of them unaware – we can see Jaethal.

Another of their mages is asleep, we fall on them before they have chance to wake.

Their leader, Kalannah,casts fear, and both Valerie and Amiri flee.

They soon rally and go in hard – the others go down, but they have cleared the warriors, leaving the mages unprotected.

We are soon standing atop a pile of dead slavers – the best time of slaver!

Yeah, I don't think so.

One of the prisoners steps up.

His companion tries to steady him.

Of course, I take the kill for myself.

Down you go!

We get two more recruits for the party – I can always use more underlings!

I have the feeling we've not seen the last of them.

I rearrange the group to give the wounded members a rest.

Then we loot the site. (oh, and free the remaining slaves of course!)

Then it's off towards Olegs once more!

Slaughtering our way through a couple of the Staglords minor minons on the way.

Arriving back, Octavia seems to be happy.

This seems like a good plan!

Then she tries flirting with me! It's obvious she's with Regongar, but I'm not sure if she's about to cheat on him, or they have an open relationship – I'm obviously not going to become an adulterer, so I put her in her place.

She seems to have gotten the hint.

Then we claim our rewards for the kill, and offload our loot.

Then we inform Jhod that we have cleaned out the temple.

There are so many people I need to re-educate. But the rewards will be helpful.

Continue to believe in your false god you fool, as long a you are useful to me!

Now all there is left to do is wait until the fog shows us the Stag lords hideout – until then, we will explore the area.

We will also train, and become stronger!

Okay, I've apparently picked a bad time to start this, as the summer holidays are on us, and they are eating more of my time than I expected, and I'm a way next week, and busy for a couple of weeks after, so updates will be slow pretty much until September!

So, you lot can have chat about how we should level these characters.

As long as we don't multi-class, we will build a closer tie with our animal companion.

We're going to get much better at using teamwork.

We get to choose one of these.

Then we need a new spell.

Then this lot all need levelling up!

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Gee I wonder if Octavia is supposed to take levels in arcane trickster? 8 CON... :psyduck:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but time on the world map before someone becomes tired/exhausted is directly tied to their CON score. Yes, this does mean Octavia is something of a pain to cart around if you want to do lengthy explorations through the wilderness. Conversely, Jaethal will never get tired. So yeah, as soon as you get a chance slap a +CON item on her if you plan to use her extensively.

Anyways, Groetus. Groetus is an extremely odd god that does not communicate with his followers whatsoever (everything done by them is simply based on assumptions rather than any actual guidance, though obviously divine spells are still being granted), and has the title God of the End Times. Relatedly, he also has no formal church and his worshippers are generally the kind of people you don't want around. The more benign are just doomsayers (Harrim's here), but his worshippers also includes madmen and lunatics actively attempting to bring about the end of the world.

The religious symbol his followers came up with is literally just a representation of him - a skull faced moon.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Octavia very much wants to be in an int-based spellcasting class, that's for sure.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Poil posted:

Gee I wonder if Octavia is supposed to take levels in arcane trickster? 8 CON... :psyduck:
I think it kind of serves a design purpose? Prestige classes kind of get a bad rep and she comes ready-made for one of the most broken ones.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Regongar is also set up well for the Dragon Disciple prestige class. And yes, he and Octavia have an open relationship. It’s possible to break them up or get with both if you’re so inclined. Or you can romance someone else and leave them to each other’s company.

Regarding Harrim, his gloominess can be polarizing as much as Valerie’s aloofness. Many players I’ve seen will make him the “combat cleric” and Tristan the spell caster.

Valerie can get a prestige class too- Stalwart Defender. But most players I’ve seen will weaponize her high Charisma into a build featuring the numerous intimidation feats you can use to stun enemies. They may also throw in some Rogue levels for sneak attack.

Teamwork feats are a tough thing to deal with. Every party member has to have them for max benefit. Or you can get an Inquisitor class that grants them automatically to you and your animal (Sacred Huntmaster does this). I favor the Cure Light Wounds spell- you can never have too many healers. Not sure about feat.

Most players I’ve seen will keep Amiri as a straight barbarian and Jaethal as a straight Inquisitor. It is also possible to give them both levels in other classes though. Sacred Huntmaster Amiri can give us another animal but not much spell casting (low wisdom). Fighter Amiri can get used to the sword quicker. Jaethal also benefits from sneak attack and bard levels depending on the build.

achtungnight fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Aug 9, 2023

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

Lord Koth posted:

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but time on the world map before someone becomes tired/exhausted is directly tied to their CON score. Yes, this does mean Octavia is something of a pain to cart around if you want to do lengthy explorations through the wilderness. Conversely, Jaethal will never get tired. So yeah, as soon as you get a chance slap a +CON item on her if you plan to use her extensively.

Anyways, Groetus. Groetus is an extremely odd god that does not communicate with his followers whatsoever (everything done by them is simply based on assumptions rather than any actual guidance, though obviously divine spells are still being granted), and has the title God of the End Times. Relatedly, he also has no formal church and his worshippers are generally the kind of people you don't want around. The more benign are just doomsayers (Harrim's here), but his worshippers also includes madmen and lunatics actively attempting to bring about the end of the world.

The religious symbol his followers came up with is literally just a representation of him - a skull faced moon.

Yeah, she's always tired as soon as you start moving anywhere which makes it a bit of a mess to deal with.

Groetus feels like he's basically the Moon from Majora's Mask, just looming around until the end of it all that he may or may not cause.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Octavia doesn't die that much since she's such a pure backliner, and the Kingmaker AI doesn't generally go for your backline unless you hosed up or the fight either positions you badly or spawns in crap behind you (admittedly both things that will happen). She gives you all the rogue skill coverage, Arcane Trickster is a very good class, Transmutation is a very good school. Octavia gets you a lot of free Enlarge and Reduce early on. Haste is arguably the best spell in the game, Legendary Proportions is both very good and very funny. Sure, you're not going to get a ton of mileage out of the DC bonus or personal transforms, but forcing new players to pick Transmutation buff spells every level is a pretty good way of getting them to press the good buttons.

Reggie is potentially a very good front line tank or an ok but micromanagement-heavy skirmishing burst damage type. Main problem tends to be that Magus is the least newbie-friendly class to play in the game. It -- also the similarly complex Kineticist, if you find Kaessi again -- is easier to figure out in turn based than in real time. It's pretty easy to fail to find the good buttons (at this point: Shield and Shocking Grasp, probably) or not read the Spell Combat and Spellstrike tooltips sufficiently well to understand how the class actually works (when you cast a touch spell you also get to do a full melee attack round).

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Yeah, I had to legit sit down for like 10 minutes a piece and read through the Magus and Kineticist class traits. Magus seems like your typical fighter/mage hybrid, but you really gotta read deep into the class features to figure out what abilities will synergize well.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
Ah yes, the secret society that loudly announces who they are to strangers.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

lol be glad you nixed the Octavia romance. It's so bad.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
I demand that you make Jaethal something other than Inquisitor. We can have only one Inquisitor on the party and her god is wrong .

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Vargatron posted:

lol be glad you nixed the Octavia romance. It's so bad.
Oh, yes. And topped by a complete dick move.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Kanthulhu posted:

I demand that you make Jaethal something other than Inquisitor. We can have only one Inquisitor on the party and her god is wrong .

I’ve seen her done well as a Fighter, Bard, and Mad Dog Barbarian.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Kineticist is an interesting class but it's *not* fun to play until a few levels in from what I remember when I tried it out.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

Jaethal as a frontline character or even main tank is made exceptionally good by the fact that she's undead with no CON score. The way this plays out mechanically is a bit strange but overall she's straight-up immune to negative energy or undead effects such as drain level, permanent CON damage/drain and a whole host of other nasty effects the game loves to throw at you. It saves you a lot on restoration and greater restoration too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Aesculus posted:

Jaethal as a frontline character or even main tank is made exceptionally good by the fact that she's undead with no CON score. The way this plays out mechanically is a bit strange but overall she's straight-up immune to negative energy or undead effects such as drain level, permanent CON damage/drain and a whole host of other nasty effects the game loves to throw at you. It saves you a lot on restoration and greater restoration too.

Seconding this. Amiri makes an excellent offense tank, Valerie a defense tank, but Jaethal is a good mix tank.

Octavia is IMO the better wizard than Regongar, but she's weaker, so keep her in the rear. Same for Tristan vs. Harrim.

For Trickery characters, it's good our main character has that skill. We'll never need the more annoying Chaotic Trickery people like Octavia or Linzi- unless we need their other skills.