Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Very bold of the episode to have Fry look straight at the camera to say "Binge this revival" but have the episodes release weekly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
I did appreciate that they were at least topical enough to make fun of NFTs.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Disenchantment spent multiple seasons worldbuilding at a frenetic pace while running multiple concurrent plot threads - with the occasional joke - and none of it ever really paid off.

Futurama built an entire world in 2-3 episodes and every second of it was crammed full of jokes.

All true.

As someone with a futurama tattoo I very much wish this revival to be good.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Saalkin posted:

All true.

As someone with a futurama tattoo I very much wish this revival to be good.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug
I liked the new episode. They leaned a bit too much on "hahaha we've been cancelled and restarted a bunch!", but overall it was good. I liked it better than some of the comedy central episodes, for sure.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Saalkin posted:

As someone with a futurama tattoo

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Disenchantment spent multiple seasons worldbuilding at a frenetic pace while running multiple concurrent plot threads - with the occasional joke - and none of it ever really paid off.

Futurama built an entire world in 2-3 episodes and every second of it was crammed full of jokes.

yeah

i really wanted to like disenchanted, but it's not very good

such a missed opportunity

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Fun fact: If you’ve rewatched all the classic Futurama episodes to death like I have, the DVD commentaries are some of the best out there and add even more rewatchability.

:tipshat:

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Missionary Positron posted:

fry sounds old as gently caress

I think Billy West is almost 70.

The Good Queen Clitoris
May 11, 2008

You raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly, bravo sir!

First episode got a couple good chuckles outta me so good enough i guess. Honestly I don't have much hope for this revival, see my avatar for further information.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

LiterallyATomato posted:

He's 71

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

LiterallyATomato posted:

Gatts posted:

He's 71

I thought that was meant to be a nice joke :cripes:

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Billy West is 71 years old

What is this poo poo? Billy is a child's name.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
i just plain dont have the heart to watch

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I kinda liked where the previous final episode ended with Fry and Leela finally being happy together.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Machai posted:

I kinda liked where the previous final episode ended with Fry and Leela finally being happy together.

Good thing they couldn't leave it alone! Now the show will end abruptly with no resolution when either Billy West, John DiMaggio, or Katey Segal unexpectedly pass!

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

LiterallyATomato posted:

Good thing they couldn't leave it alone! Now the show will end abruptly with no resolution when either Billy West, John DiMaggio, or Katey Segal unexpectedly pass!

John DiMaggio better not die, we need at least two Adventure Time reboots

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
we're in the future now op

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Sooo 3023?

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

ChubbyChecker posted:

yeah

i really wanted to like disenchanted, but it's not very good

such a missed opportunity

Disenchanted looks like it should be awesome. Everything is there except humor

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

I love worldbuilding in fantasy but that's not what I watch a Matt Groening comedy for. Sounds like a pass for me.

I'll give new Futurama three episodes before I decide to watch the whole season or abandon.

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender
What do you think billy wests body count is? Who’s the most notable notch on his bedpost?Does he do crazy sounds when hes kissing on someone’s genitals? Obviously if you only had three wishes you wouldn’t waste them on answering any of these questions but what if you had 100 wishes? 1000 wishes?

I bet John dimaggio would just tell you no wishes needed. I bet his stats are shockingly high or shockingly low no in between.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

MonkeyHate posted:

What do you think billy wests body count is? Who’s the most notable notch on his bedpost?Does he do crazy sounds when hes kissing on someone’s genitals? Obviously if you only had three wishes you wouldn’t waste them on answering any of these questions but what if you had 100 wishes? 1000 wishes?

I bet John dimaggio would just tell you no wishes needed. I bet his stats are shockingly high or shockingly low no in between.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

LiterallyATomato posted:

I love worldbuilding in fantasy but that's not what I watch a Matt Groening comedy for. Sounds like a pass for me.

Seems like every cartoon sitcom that comes out these days insists on dangling plot hooks to give fans something to obsess over and it rarely pans out.

mmmm
Jul 26, 2010

hey
you're one of them fancy lads, ain't ya?
The jokes in Disenchantment are pretty hit-or-miss, and somewhat lower density than Futurama/Simpsons. There's some good Eric Andre zingers. Lots of sight gags. The comedy is actually the weakest part, but it does everything else really well, so... "B+" maybe

I like watching it for the gorgeous art -- just amazing stuff. Short episodes bursting with eye candy. Especially love their depiction of hell. The fancier animation makes the action scenes much more interesting than I'm used to seeing in (TV level) animation, so that's kind of cool too.

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender
Disenchantment would have been a better show without elfo. Bean is a fun character. Luci is just exactly bender so that’s great. Just have those two crash around and have drunken adventures.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Disenchantment is one of the best looking shows ever made, its so sick.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

This just seems embarrassing, I feel bad for everyone involved in this retread of a retread of a retread of a retread.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The most succinct review is that Disenchantment is lesser than the sum of its parts

Also I hope that praise for being topical is a joke, an nft reference will be meaningless garbo in a couple years

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Saalkin posted:

As someone with a futurama tattoo

This you?

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Fry sounds old

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

Toxic Mental posted:

Fry sounds old

and leela is pitch perfect. katey seagal is some kind of goddess

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
i liked it. the 2nd best episode of futurama where they have to frantically make new episodes of a show or something bad will happen

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Milo and POTUS posted:

i just plain dont have the heart to watch

It's this op

24 year old me woulda

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

LiterallyATomato posted:

Is "Disenchanted" any good? That's the real Groening question.

Honestly, I didn't like it.

The main cast is kind of weak. Elfo and the elves in general are an alright one-off gag (haha, it's the Happy Little Elves from the Simpsons, they're very twee despite how grim and grimy the world is!) that stops being funny in the first episode. The demon isn't really as memorable as you think it would be. So there's really just one main character and not a lot of people for her to bounce off of.

It's not doing very much with the whole fantasy concept. This isn't some cutting satire of fantasy as a genre. Most of the jokes are pretty shallow observations about fairytales. Sometimes it forgets to tell jokes at all. A lot of the time it's not so much a parody of a too-grandiose, elaborate fantasy plot about chosen ones and twist villains, as just... a too-grandiose, elaborate fantasy plot about chosen ones and twist villains.

It's kind of just predictable. Lot of moments where it feels like the show thinks it's doing something clever or subversive but does something really obvious. There is one episode where they hire on some random guy who keeps claiming he's some sort of experienced, badass hero to guide them on an adventure. It turns out he's a fraud and he instantly dies. "Uh ooooh!" says the show, "He wasn't a hero at all! Bet you didn't see that coming!" But I did. I really did. That's how these things go. Would've been a bigger surprise if this random no-name braggart without a memorable design did literally anything other than instantly die.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

The only joke from Disenchantment I remember liking (or remember at all) is when they all keep relying on court wizard to do wizarding stuff or at least give good advice the king finally sighs and says - "Should have never let him put stars and moons on his dunce cap".

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Sekenr posted:

The only joke from Disenchantment I remember liking (or remember at all) is when they all keep relying on court wizard to do wizarding stuff or at least give good advice the king finally sighs and says - "Should have never let him put stars and moons on his dunce cap".

how could you gently caress up that premise anyway. fantasy poo poo is inherently goofy and silly

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

They rebooted it again? I liked the first revival but only watched it once but watched the original countless times. The overall quality of the original was better even though it was dragged down by a handful of awful episodes.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Do you think any of them realised they abandoned their children and parents when they went into a new dimension?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Machai posted:

How many times does Bender say the thing about his butt? Has anyone ever taken him up on the offer?

In the OG script he was supposed to be named Buttler but then a bunch of personal grievances forced Jerry Seinfeld off the showrunning team.