Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

:page3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
Wouldn’t bother with From unless you’re too into Lost-types. Everything takes forever to happen and every character is lame except the sheriff and colony house matron.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Method living

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Internet Old One posted:

Disenchanted looks like it should be awesome. Everything is there except humor

yeah that was basically my take. about halfway through the first season i was already feeling like it was dragging because there were entire episodes devoted to the theme of "no really, Bean is an incredibly bad human being despite the fact that she's having a struggle that you, the viewer, can probably identify with" and i'm practically shouting at the screen to throw a loving pie already

if you want to be a drama then be a drama, i could get down with an animated drama. but if you're gonna call yourself a comedy tell a loving joke

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

Disenchantment spent multiple seasons worldbuilding at a frenetic pace while running multiple concurrent plot threads - with the occasional joke - and none of it ever really paid off.

Futurama built an entire world in 2-3 episodes and every second of it was crammed full of jokes.

Futurama built half its world in its intro tbh. It’s simple and has no words but it’s probably one of the best “this is the shows setting and tone” intros for a show that doesn’t involve just explaining the shows premise through song/rap

mmmm
Jul 26, 2010

hey
you're one of them fancy lads, ain't ya?
"Back in the day" I hoped that they'd (Hollywood) make a Futurama video game in the same style as that one good Simpsons 3D game (PS2 & OG Xbox -- it was sorta like a more linear GTA)

Like you would do deliveries in the Planet Express ship and they'd just lampshade that "Good news everyone, we've lost our Free Flying License and must now restrict ourselves to space lanes and sky highways" so all the cars would be spacecraft instead, and the locations you get out would be the different alien systems.

You could add vehicle combat, rival "Mom" delivery vehicles, shooter sequences on foot, etc.

Never happened though. Thanks Obama!

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Too many "lol canceled show returning?" jokes in the first ep otherwise yep, it was Futurama

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

mmmm posted:

"Back in the day" I hoped that they'd (Hollywood) make a Futurama video game in the same style as that one good Simpsons 3D game (PS2 & OG Xbox -- it was sorta like a more linear GTA)

Like you would do deliveries in the Planet Express ship and they'd just lampshade that "Good news everyone, we've lost our Free Flying License and must now restrict ourselves to space lanes and sky highways" so all the cars would be spacecraft instead, and the locations you get out would be the different alien systems.

You could add vehicle combat, rival "Mom" delivery vehicles, shooter sequences on foot, etc.

Never happened though. Thanks Obama!

you mean something like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5MliascY_Q

lil bip
Mar 13, 2004

That ain't workin', that's the way you do it

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Billy West is 71 years old

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Has anyone said "Newturama" yet?

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

"Futurepeat."

mmmm
Jul 26, 2010

hey
you're one of them fancy lads, ain't ya?

ok I just found out that the internet is granting me wishes. another thread was giving me Bill Paxton portraits, but this is just ridiculous

I'm going to go to the Caves of Qud thread and ask them to make me a Battletech game. You guys are the best.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

the new episode was surprisingly good

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

We finished From. It was ok I guess. Don't let me forget to cancel MGM+ please

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Smugworth posted:

We finished From. It was ok I guess. Don't let me forget to cancel MGM+ please

just pirate everything

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

So far the tone of the new Futurama has been a lot closer to original run Futurama than the Comedy Central era. This is a good thing. The jokes aren't great yet, but there is at least an attempt to make it work. I'll keep watching for now, we'll see if the quality stays in the watchable range.

Aug 6, 2023
now featuring bouncing booty

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
So far it's been alright. The first episode was pretty well done, the second seemed to have a lot of revisits and explanations of things that happened previously, which was never a thing that they really did, so I'm guessing they got told to "make it really clear if you're a new viewer". I'm optimistic tho.

Also I really like Disenchantment. Different vibe for sure, but nice to see the crew do different things. Last part is out September 1st, and that's it. They've said it was a story they wanted to do, wrap it up, and then do another project and honestly I'm for that. Regardless of how you might feel about Disenchantment itself I think it's hard to argue against new ideas and shows that tell a story and are done, rather than running forever, usually into the ground, or being constant revivals and reboots of old shows.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I'm rewatching the original run and man a lot of the humor is very outdated. Olestra jokes. Jokes about the 1970s (bc at that point it was only ~20 years ago and we were mid-70s fever).

Everyone watches cable TV! It feels so quaint and old-fashioned. Absolutely retro future.

Fry and Leela's romance doesn't really hold up, even with all the 'sweet' heartachey episodes about it - over the arc of the series, Futurama is somewhat of a romcom and it's got all the same problems as that genre.

(All of Amy Wongs parents, with Billy West doing a really bad Chinese accent, does NOT hold up)

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Aug 6, 2023

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Disenchantment seems to get a lot of hate but I really enjoy it. A lot of people wanted a new Futurama from it but that's never what it was. The marketing was not very good at setting the correct expectations, I don't think anyone expected a half-serious half-joke fantasy worldbuilding show from Groening in general, and it doesn't help that the people promoting it also panicked and only sold the part they thought would sell (the jokes). So viewers came in expecting jokes and left angry that wasn't what it was about.

It's got a lot of little pieces that only fit together over time and there's still quite a few unresolved mysteries about the world itself.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Aug 6, 2023

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

StrangersInTheNight posted:

(All of Amy Wongs parents, with Billy West doing a really bad Chinese accent, does NOT hold up)

They have an actual Asian person doing her father's voice now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feodor_Chin

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
i didnt mind disenchantment and found it kind of refreshing to watch a show like this that was more than just rapid fire jokes

hell its been long enough, i'm gonna give it a rewatch

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Bean is an unmarried queer princess who is permitted to remain single rather than marry and produce an heir for the kingdom. That's been enough to keep me around but I get it might not be everyone's cup of tea.

Spoilers for 3rd season but this scene is cute and romantic IMO

https://youtu.be/fqcG28tOaTk

I personally think her time with Moira was real, not a dream as Bean keeps wondering, and that the Mermaid Kingdom is going to have a major part in helping save Dreamland. The love song Moira sings is also a song of allegiance in war. Dreamland and the mermaids will have an alliance which will come into play, and it will be an alliance she only would've been able to make through love, which justifies her refusing to marry for political reasons while bringing her role as royalty full circle.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 6, 2023

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Bean is an unmarried queer princess who is permitted to remain single rather than marry and produce an heir for the kingdom.

Spoilers for 3rd season but this scene is cute and romantic IMO

https://youtu.be/fqcG28tOaTk

I personally think her time with Moira was real, not a dream as Bean keeps wondering, and that the Mermaid Kingdom is going to have a major part in helping save Dreamland. The love song Moira sings is also a song of allegiance in war. Dreamland and the mermaids will have an alliance which will come into play, and it will be an alliance she only would've been able to make through love, which justifies her refusing to marry for political reasons while bringing her role as royalty full circle.

I am excited for the ending this fall

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Billy West is 71 years old

It's weird to watch Futurama and realize that all the voices he does on the show are just the old ones he would do for different characters on the Howard Stern Show.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Junk posted:

i didnt mind disenchantment and found it kind of refreshing to watch a show like this that was more than just rapid fire jokes

hell its been long enough, i'm gonna give it a rewatch

so im supposed to watch this and not expect it to be very funny? like this is fantasy anime done in simpsons style?

I’m kidding but I’ll rewatch some of it like this and see.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's weird to watch Futurama and realize that all the voices he does on the show are just the old ones he would do for different characters on the Howard Stern Show.

Stimpy sobbing was the Jackie laugh

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Ralph Hurley posted:

Stimpy sobbing was the Jackie laugh

Yup and his Stimpy voice is just Larry Fine.

There's a new documentary about Jackie that just dropped. Billy West is one of the people interviewed for it. Good poo poo. Also, they do talk about the Jackie Puppet and holy hell when Billy starts doing the puppet voice, I laughed just as hard as the first time I heard that stuff.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Saalkin posted:

It got a little hmm sound when something is funny but not that funny whatever that's called.

we call that SALTS : "Smiled a little, then stopped"

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Internet Old One posted:

like this is fantasy anime done in simpsons style?

This is actually probably the closest description to what it is I've heard so far, yeah.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost
i haven't watch the Beavis and Butthead reboot yet. Heard good things, tho. Anyone?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

blight rhino posted:

i haven't watch the Beavis and Butthead reboot yet. Heard good things, tho. Anyone?

It's so loving good.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Jose Oquendo posted:

It's so loving good.

i like and subscribe to this comment

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

blight rhino posted:

it's excellent

there's an episode where Beavis gets to hang out with FIRE! and it's extremely funny

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

I'm rewatching the original run and man a lot of the humor is very outdated. Olestra jokes. Jokes about the 1970s (bc at that point it was only ~20 years ago and we were mid-70s fever).
it was extremely funny watching people hang-wring over the "topical" nature of the episode names. futurama was always topical.

disenchantment is not a good show though, will die on that hill. even if you want to relieve it from the comedy joke expectations the storytelling is immensely slow and ploddingly ineffective for the vast majority of the episodes. the occasional good one is more like a decent episode rather than one that will knock you out so it's a big yawner imho.

on a side note, i do not think relieving it from comedy joke expectations is reasonable when one of the first people we see in the first episode is setting in a barrel selling "me flavored water". the show is a comedy that doesn't tell jokes.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

it's excellent

there's an episode where Beavis gets to hang out with FIRE! and it's extremely funny

that episode sucked imo. every other episode is great though, especially aged-up beavis & butthead

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Disenchantment is far less than the sum of its parts. Wasted great vocal performances, a good setting, good animation, forgot to write jokes.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Horace Kinch posted:

aged-up beavis & butthead

them waving at the girls from their car after they got it out of impound was also very funny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

blight rhino posted:

It’s the best animated show of the last decade and it’s not close.