Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

YeahTubaMike posted:

I know his offspring were tadpoles and all, but in what universe is Kif even remotely frog-like?

he's amphibian and his last name is Croaker; he's obviously intended to be an alien frog even if he doesn't really resemble one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

he's amphibian and his last name is Croaker; he's obviously intended to be an alien frog even if he doesn't really resemble one

I never made that connection :monocle:

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
well, Kroker, but yes. he literally calls himself amphibious at one point. when he agrees to 'split his room' with amy, he crawls on the ceiling like a tree frog. and the most recent episode where the babies - who were dumped in a pond for 20 years - come back and go through 'the winnowing' and only 3 survive is peak frog. The old frog lady is celebrating their ascension to land from sea as part of their life cycle, culminating in cutting off their tadpole tails. Dude's a space frog.

this is also how they handwave away his getting pregnant, cuz his thin semi-permeable frog-type skin just absorbs DNA when he's in the right mood.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 9, 2023

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Does he ever catch a bug with his tongue? Feels like he's done that but I can't recall

Edit or does zapp grab him by the tongue at some point?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
hmmm...I feel like he licks his eyeball at some point but I could be misremembering. only bug joke I can recall quickly is that his species turns into a swarm of bugs in their old age, which makes it awkward when Amy's parents are swatting parts of Kif's.

anyway he's ultimately a Spock joke that he outgrew and has become his own character. he was the misanthropic, beleaguered Spock to Brannigan's egotistical, blowhard Kirk. So he's green and got pointed ears - because Vulcans are notably green-toned (they have green blood instead of red) and the ears are obvious why. The rest of his frogginess was just written in later expand his lore and the writers made it up as they went. At this point, I think they're just enjoying at building it being ever more ridiculously frog-like.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 9, 2023

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

pixaal posted:

The N64 game where you throw snowballs at turkeys you can't see until they are basically in your hitbox because the fog is so bad?

Exactly.

Totally forgot about that, I mean the first RPG one. It's a pretty good table-top RPG parody with lots of Tolkien influence.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
drat, maybe I should use this ignorance as an excuse to rewatch original Futurama.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

anyway Hulurama is watchable so far. I'm no saying it's good or great but I'm not bored or offended. Crypto ep was probably the best I've seen any show handle doing a crypto themed episode (basically just a wild west gold panning parody with crypto instead of gold) I mean it's a low bar but they cleared it.

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

Dexter’s Lab had a great DnD episode!

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
yeah if you watch the first ep he appears in, the Titanic one, he's mostly just dryly rolling his eyes and sighing at Zapp. Where he ends up - the gentle frogman - comes out later as they kind of play with his character. They made a joke in this new episode with his kids, where they're different physical ages despite being the same age technically and he explains that the temperature of the water they develop in affects how they grow, and makes a throwaway comment that he came from the warmest water, just like the oldest, most awkward one.

It's a real clever little line because it works to further explain why he was such an awkward goon at the beginning of he & Amy's relationship and why he does some growing up over the course of the show, because he looks older than he is. He crawled out of a swamp nearly fully-grown and then got yeeted into the world, possibly directly into the military and beside Zapp.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
but why is the other guy's child still the same age

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Ahundredbux posted:

We don't actually know when the various years passed in the show it's never been 1:1 before. Hermes and Farnsworth's kids are made after Kif has the babies. Presumably most of the time passage would have to happen then (so without looking poo poo up I'm thinking Season 2 and Season 4 as roughly when these happened in my head) Now someone pull up IMDB and show me these are actually back to back episodes

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
none of the time stuff makes any sense whatsoever so yeah just let that one go. time was frozen, but also, since it's been 20 years since the original Kif getting knocking up episode, they decided to follow through on the '20 years from now' part of it. So Kif's kids kept growing in that swamp as they naturally would to serve this joke/episode, but also Hermes' kid is still the same age as his first appearance bc they were frozen in time or something. I don't know. It all falls apart with all the weird poo poo with time they did in the reboots.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
uh they explicitly said 24 years have passed since season 1, and have consistently kept the in-universe year as the production year + 1000

Dwight is 12 because the character is 12, and he'll stay 12 unless they decide to give him a puberty episode. They might make up a reason like the time fuckery affecting earth but not the swamp planet, but the actual reason is that none of the main cast are ever going to age in a way that affects their character design.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Yeah ofc they said 23 years have passed and used the chronometer to justify it, but they'd also just been frozen in time (for an unspecified amount of time, as said by the professor) and unfrozen and time revamped. no one has aged, but time has also passed. it's 3023 but they didn't actually age ~20 years since the first season, they've all been preserved by whatever time weirdness they made up and so was everyone else on Earth, so that we can have the exact same cast of characters transported to 'now'.

basically it's not going to make sense for the reasons you mentioned, which is that no one's character design is going to change and no one is going to age because it's a sitcom. So it's 3023 but they're also all still almost exactly the same ages as they were in 3003. Time will move for other characters as needed for jokes, such as the babies actually being in the swamp for 20 years. Its best not to think too hard on it because the answer is it's whatever serves the joke best at the time of writing.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 9, 2023

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Ahundredbux posted:

It's a cartoon

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

YeahTubaMike posted:

I never made that connection :monocle:

in the prop infinity episode, Amy insults Kif by calling him a spineless jellyfish, and Kif responds that she knows he's more closely related to the sea cucumber. his biological inspirations are not exactly a point of hard canon.

or, more succinctly:

Budzilla posted:

It's a cartoon

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Budzilla posted:

It's a cartoon

it is ok but they were making such a spectacle about the passage of time

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Dwight ages slower because he's the son of some kind of outer space potato man

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Ahundredbux posted:

it is ok but they were making such a spectacle about the passage of time

yeh the first new episode's conflict all emerges from Fry not having achieved anything for 23 years, while still being like ~20/30something. it's weird.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Coolguye posted:

in the prop infinity episode, Amy insults Kif by calling him a spineless jellyfish, and Kif responds that she knows he's more closely related to the sea cucumber. his biological inspirations are not exactly a point of hard canon.

or, more succinctly:

he should be biologically related to nothing since his species comes from an independent origin of life. I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
he's actually a fictional character drawn up by some dorks in a studio, not a real alien

though if he's inspired by the sea cucumber, it is criminal that we have yet to see him puke his own rear end in a top hat in anyone's face

I thought the new episode was pretty ok, didn't care for the crypto framing but it had some decent gags. Also I think it's the first time someone actually bit Bender's shiny metal rear end?

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

he's actually a fictional character drawn up by some dorks in a studio, not a real alien

though if he's inspired by the sea cucumber, it is criminal that we have yet to see him puke his own rear end in a top hat in anyone's face

I thought the new episode was pretty ok, didn't care for the crypto framing but it had some decent gags. Also I think it's the first time someone actually bit Bender's shiny metal rear end?

He's still real to me drat it

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

YeahTubaMike posted:

drat, maybe I should use this ignorance as an excuse to rewatch original Futurama.

sounds like a plan

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
its almost like all the characters are fake in this, the thread about a rebooted cartoon show. and truly, what fools have ever found value in discussing, ugh - fictional characters?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Professor Wayne posted:

Dwight ages slower because he's the son of some kind of outer space potato man

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

StrangersInTheNight posted:

its almost like all the characters are fake in this, the thread about a rebooted cartoon show. and truly, what fools have ever found value in discussing, ugh - fictional characters?

cartoons, just like video games, are distractions for particularly slow children

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
well you're the rear end in a top hat making fun of slow children while they talk about cartoons, so what does that make you? out here finding children to kick about their interests.

I'd rather be slow and kind than whatever that is.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
p sure children shouldn't be posting here tbqh

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I just want to go on the record and state that I have no stake in the fictionality of the show, and am actively against derisively comparing cartoon viewers to slow children.

I was merely responding to a pedantic remark with an even more pedantic remark of my own, as a matter of principle.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

StrangersInTheNight posted:

well you're the rear end in a top hat making fun of slow children while they talk about cartoons, so what does that make you? out here finding children to kick about their interests.

I'd rather be slow and kind than whatever that is.

God drat, do you get money every time you make a post decrying anything that could even be remotely interpreted as offensive to someone somewhere?

It seems like this is your fucken job at this point.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
The bitcoin episode was just awful. God this show loving sucks poo poo.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 26 days!)

i watched the first few eps of the original run and it stinks

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

Sentient Data posted:

Has any show done a good D&D/Tolkien parody? They all seem to reach for it but I can't think of a version that's even been above average in quality

South Park really nailed it

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

roomtone posted:

Wrong again, idiot

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

roomtone posted:

Weird. I think this is one of the few shows that was strong right off the bat. Normally you have to specify "it starts getting good at ____".

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
i haven't watched any of the new season yet so maybe these complaints are reasonable but the more of these i read the more it feels like people just desperately want them to be bad so they can have the vague sense of superiority that comes with passing harsh judgement on something

can someone like actually quantify a complaint

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Weird. I think this is one of the few shows that was strong right off the bat. Normally you have to specify "it starts getting good at ____".

Episode 2 is still my favorite. "We're whalers on the moon!"

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Coolguye posted:

i haven't watched any of the new season yet so maybe these complaints are reasonable but the more of these i read the more it feels like people just desperately want them to be bad so they can have the vague sense of superiority that comes with passing harsh judgement on something

can someone like actually quantify a complaint

The worst thing I can say is that they’re on the weaker side of futurama episodes which is still pretty good. I don’t think I’d even notice but I files’d them at the same time as Beavis and Butthead which is way better than it should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

the latest episode was like the others this season: not very special, but not as bad as the worst episodes, and had references to the good original episodes