Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

ChubbyChecker posted:

the latest episode was like the others this season: not very special, but not as bad as the worst episodes, and had references to the good original episodes

Yeah, for all their attempts, they can't seem to turn on the funny. The only character I consistently find funny is Zoidberg, everyone else is very hit or miss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
The movies aren't great but I remember Fry had a Family Guy 12 Laughs A Year calendar and thinking that was a pretty nice burn on FOX.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I've actually vibed with the newer episodes for the most part. Solid first, second was alright, third was pretty good. The fourth one tho. I actually turned it off halfway through. Got to the thopter reference/"joke" and called it. I don't do that a lot, I'll typically muscle through a bad episode, but it was missing so many marks I just didn't have the energy to keep going.

I swapped to the new episodes of What We Do in the Shadows and that was way better.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Extra row of tits posted:

God drat, do you get money every time you make a post decrying anything that could even be remotely interpreted as offensive to someone somewhere?

It seems like this is your fucken job at this point.

thats one of the worst aspects of something awful in the past few years

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

5 episodes in now and this hasn't been great.
Maybe 1ish good episodes.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
wait what happened to zoidberg dating emilia clarke, why wouldn't he spend X-mas with her?

Sex Farm
Nov 17, 2017

What was with Futurama making fun of Kwanzaa so much?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

it's really weird how every episode this season so far has been kind of a remix of a previous plot, like the actual plot crisis is just applied differently or to a different character

ep 1 they had frantic issues with someone coming to the end of a series and the crew desperately tries to make more to avoid horrible consiquences

ep 2 was straight-up a sequel to the first kif and amy babies episode but now amy's parents don't really wanna be involved

ep 3 they were in the old west and something something something save bender (like when he was a ghost or whatever...?)

ep 4 was more parasite adventures but shrinking instead of mini robots and nibbler getting dumb instead of fry getting smart

ep 5 was another gray-goo scenario but with Mom instead of Bender

ep 6 was a ~christmas episode~ but it kind of was just one of the central points from Bender's Game (? ...i think that's the one with bender's free will switch?) just tossed on Santa instead

it's like....so pervasive across the entire season so far that i really hope they're going to at least acknowledge it somehow

also the next two episodes are titled 'rage against the vaccine' and 'zapp gets canceled' so.......we'll see where those go. i guess.

Halisnacks
Jul 18, 2009
The only people watching new Futurama are watching it for nostalgia. I think rehashing the plots is 100% deliberate and just going all in the the nostalgia angle.

I wonder if there is something to this with the economics of streaming. They just want more views on Futurama in general, right? Maybe it makes sense to think of the new season is a giant ad for Futurama “classic”.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Sex Farm posted:

What was with Futurama making fun of Kwanzaa so much?

Honestly, it's because they loved having Coolio on as Kwanzaa bot. He was apparently super fun and enthusiastic. But there's really only so many jokes you can do about a character called Kwanzaa bot, so they tell that one joke as many times as they can.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

one other thing I’ll say about this revival is that the animation is *really* lazy, a couple of the episodes have really felt like part of the setting was just an excuse not to draw any backgrounds. sure, you’re in a litter box for 20 minutes, awesome, bland one-tone background it is I guess. hey look mom’s new robot grew so huge it obscures our need for backgrounds. etc etc

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

new episode is pretty loving cringe so far

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
New episode was so goddamn bad

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Covid episode is legit the worst of the entire series. Holy cow they did a bad job with it

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

New episode was so goddamn bad

Extremely, extremely bad. Trying to be super topical is a Futurama Death Sentence.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

sweet geek swag posted:

Extremely, extremely bad. Trying to be super topical is a Futurama Death Sentence.

It's not even super topical we've reached the point where "LOL COVID WAS WILD" is already played out

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Nooner posted:

It's not even super topical we've reached the point where "LOL COVID WAS WILD" is already played out

Another issue with Futurama's attempts to be topical: they're always at least a year behind the curve.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

It's very strange that they also threw in a "The Simpsons are going to New Orleans!" portion into their covid episode. I guess they couldn't think of enough jokes for that city to fill 22 minutes on its own.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
CANCEL THIS loving SHOW AGAIN

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

There weren't even any jokes or sci fi takes in it. 20 minutes of "hey, remember 2 years ago?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I thought the Amazon episode was kind of amusing and it might signal a gradual return to funny jokes but YEESH the covid episode was mind numbingly inane

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

They're practically breaking the fourth wall and saying "HEY WE'RE SETTING UP THE NEXT JOKE NOW"

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug
I like the insight of everyone getting pissed off because of it and "I tried to put the flowers where you suggested" was funny, but the rest was just not and a waste of Bill Nye. Pandemics be crazy, right?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
well I can safely say that the Susan Boil episode is no longer the worst episode of Futurama

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

well I can safely say that the Susan Boil episode is no longer the worst episode of Futurama

i’m not going to lie, I know I watched the latest episode but it was really bad and I drank until I knew I wouldn’t remember it

even if the scripts weren’t such rear end why is the animation so lousy? why are the backgrounds all…like they are?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
:confused: the latest episode ("Zap Gets Cancelled") was the least worst of this new run, despite the premise.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

:confused: the latest episode ("Zap Gets Cancelled") was the least worst of this new run, despite the premise.

Damning with faint praise, but I agree. At least this episode had jokes. Honestly, it still hasn't been worth watching though.

floppyspud
Jul 21, 2022

New futurama has been successful in getting me to watch the originals :(

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Welp, I guess this whole thing is over now. I feel like episode 10 was actually somewhat okay, like a middle quality old Futurama episode, or maybe it was just better than the rest of the season and looks good in comparison. I felt episode 9 had something going on that worked with the anthology style, but completely let down by the main plot. The other 8 episodes were trash.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I can safely say this season was a massive waste of time

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

It just makes me sad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

That last episode was okay, it actually had some jokes. Not great or good, but okay.

Still doesn't raise the season above a 4/10. Not worth the time I put in unfortunately.