Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
2022 was another great year for the NFC Best, though not quite in the way most people expected. The Rams faceplanted in their title defense, but the 49ers took another leap into the NFL's elite and the Seahawks quickly moved on from the Russell Wilson era, leaving these as the clear top two teams in what could be a compeitive division race. And hell, I wouldn't count out the Rams just yet. The Cardinals ... yeah we can definitely count them out.

Arizona Cardinals

2022 record: 4-13
Super Bowl odds: +20000
Win over/under: 4.5
Head coach: Jonathan Gannon
Quarterbacks: Colt McCoy/Kyler Murray

End of an era, possibly in more ways than one. Everything bottomed out in 2022, leading to Kliff Kingsbury getting fired and loving off to Thailand. The final insult came in mid-December when Kyler Murray tore his ACL, putting his 2023 season in doubt. GM Steve Keim was also let go, so there's an entirely new regime left to make a decision on Murray, a mercurial QB they didn't draft coming off a serious injury. There's a non-zero chance he's already played his last snap in the desert. In the meantime, they'll move forward with the ol' Coltster, who I keep forgetting is still in the league, and new coach Gannon, one of the less inspiring hires of last year's cycle. There are pretty much zero expectations for 2023 -- the Cardinals are heavy favorites to land the #1 overall pick. Let's move on because nobody is reading this, including Cardinals fans.

Los Angeles Rams

2022 record: 5-12
Super Bowl odds: +6600
Win over/under: 6.5
Head coach: Sean McVay
Quarterback: Matthew Stafford

Pretty much nothing went right for the defending champs. The new-look offensive line never gelled and was always injured, constantly forcing the offense behind schedule. Then the star players went down one by one: Cooper Kupp suffered a major leg injury and both Stafford and Aaron Donald were eventually shut down as the playoffs got out of reach. It seemed like the Rams were ready to blow it up with McVay contemplating retirement, but he decided to come back for another dance. Other than trading Jalen Ramsey, they had basically no choice but to run it back. Who knows what to expect from the Rams in 2023, but if the stars stay healthy, they're still quite a talented team. That 6.5 line is honestly pretty harsh to me.

Seattle Seahawks

2022 record: 9-8, Wild Card round loss
Super Bowl odds: +3000
Win over/under: 8.5
Head coach: Pete Carroll
Quarterback: Geno Smith

Now that's what cooking looks like. Left for dead after trading away Wilson, the Seahawks instead returned to the playoffs and are suddenly right back in the mix with an exciting young core and Geno riding an unlikely career revival. The 2022 draft class brought massive contributors in Charles Cross, Kenneth Walker, Tariq Woolen, and Coby Bryant, immediately injecting some life into a roster that got rather stale in Wilson's final years. They appear to have another fun draft with first-round picks Devon Witherspoon and Jaxon Smith-Njigba expected to play big roles. And just from an intangible standpoint, it sure seemed like the team was playing loose and having a lot more fun without Wilson's weirdo baggage. If the defense improves just a little bit and Geno proves he's not a one-year wonder, they have a real chance to challenge for the division.

San Francisco 49ers

2022 record: 13-4, NFC Champiomship Game loss
Super Bowl odds: +900
Win over/under: 10.5
Head coach: Kyle Shanahan
Quarterback: Brock Purdy/Trey Lance/Sam Darnold maybe????

I regret to inform you that Shanahan is good at this. The 49ers are a Death Star at peak form, with almost no holes on the roster. This team was so talented, so well-coached, that it almost didn't matter who was actually at quarterback. They marched to the conference title game with the final pick of the draft holding things down just fine, and it's only when they literally ran out of healthy QBs that they finally saw their end. Purdy got cleared for camp after offseason elbow surgery and appears to have the edge over Lance, who may have run out of chances to make an impression. But if the 49ers have one weakness, they are never, ever allowed to be healthy, so there's a decent chance we see both guys anyway. Either way, this team is clearly the class of the division and one of the NFC's heavy hitters.

Division titles

49ers -- 21
Rams -- 18
Seahawks -- 9
Cardinals -- 3

Super Bowl appearances (winning years in bold)

49ers -- 7 (1981, 1984, 1988, 1989, 1994, 2012, 2019)
Rams -- 5 (1979, 1999, 2001, 2018, 2021)
Seahawks -- 3 (2005, 2013, 2014)
Cardinals -- 1 (2008)

Benne fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Jul 26, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Oh Benne, a poo poo post tag? :baduk:

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

big peeno smith let’s go

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Blessed be those who run.

In the name of the blast, the counter, and the draw, amen.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
:schotty:

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Mustached Demon posted:

Blessed be those who run.

In the name of the blast, the counter, and the draw, amen.

Veer left, Veer right, Power I.

Amen.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Go, the San Francisco 49ers

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
It is time for football

Let’s go Niners

Let’s get a fourth-string quarterback this time

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
When we remember that year for the Cardinals, let’s not forget that it was all on tape for a national audience. The in-season Hard Knocks picked up in Week 10 and immediately saw them beat the Rams to get to 4-6 and maybe have some hope for the season…. and then every single week got darker and darker until the last few episodes were the grimmest poo poo on TV.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
:schotty: ground floor

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
+20000 eh, so you're sayin there's a chance

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

bet ten dollars on the cards, you could win two hundred thousand, that's what that means right

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

bet ten dollars on the cards, you could win two hundred thousand, that's what that means right

Thanks to my education at the School of Hard Knocks, I know that you not only could win two hundred thousand, you WILL win two hundred thousand.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Praise be to the Patron Saint of The Run

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

MakaVillian posted:

Praise be to the Patron Saint of The Run

:perfect:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Gore the defense. Gore is the verb for that now. You know exactly what it means. It means, establish.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Reading that OP got me looking at the Rams' salary cap. 60mil in dead money just for ARob, Ramsey, and Leonard Floyd. Ooof.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Leperflesh posted:

maybe we'll actually go to a game this year tickets should be p cheap while kyler is still out

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Reading that OP got me looking at the Rams' salary cap. 60mil in dead money just for ARob, Ramsey, and Leonard Floyd. Ooof.

~40 of the 90 guys in Rams camp are rookies.

May chaos :schotty: supreme!

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Leperflesh posted:

My buddy went to Vegas in the summer of '99, so I gave him $10 to put on the Rams to win the SB. I won $2,000.

It's the only bet I've ever made.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

MakaVillian posted:

Oh Benne, a poo poo post tag? :baduk:

Fixed it! :schotty:

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

JPrime posted:

maybe we'll actually go to a game this year tickets should be p cheap while kyler is still out

Give me a break every fucker from ohio is going to spend three hundred bucks a seat to watch the browns squeak out a 24-21 win over the cardinals. I know how this works

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
"I am pro run, but I sure as hell won't pay for it!" -NFL

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

My buddy went to Vegas in the summer of '99, so I gave him $10 to put on the Rams to win the SB. I won $2,000.

It's the only bet I've ever made.

After that kind of win, why bother risking a perfect record?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Manoueverable posted:

After that kind of win, why bother risking a perfect record?

I announce my retirement, undefeated, from video boxing

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

harperdc posted:

Fixed it! :schotty:

:haibrow:

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
WYTS hits the Cardinals today and we got some total gems this year https://defector.com/why-your-team-sucks-2023-arizona-cardinals

quote:

What is the point of this team? Am I supposed to watch this poo poo again? With their new NPC-rear end coach/GM combo deflecting all blame onto Kyler? Why?

quote:

Larry never got his ring. Our best QBs have been a washed Palmer and soon to be washed Kyler. We can only be good at one position at a time, and then those players leave.

quote:

We hired lizard person Monti Ossenfort as our third-choice general manager. He comes from a rich tradition of New England executives who fail for three or four years and leave behind press accounts of staff secretaries and QC coaches terrified that their offices are bugged. His first move as GM was to commit tampering with a head coach candidate no one wanted.

Our head coach looks like the cousin who brown-nosed 80% of your grandparents’ estate in the will but got expelled for snorting lines at Concordia University. Our QB sat on the sideline when Budda Baker lay motionless on the field in a playoff game surrounded by his 50 other teammates and entire coaching staff. Our top two wideouts are Hollywood Brown and Rondale Moore, who you might know best for the Red Cross next to their names on your daily fantasy lineup.

quote:

As I sit down to write about the terrible, deeply embarrassing football team I root for while trying to survive my 19th straight day with a high over 110 degrees in the city I enthusiastically moved back to, I've come to the realization that I have a serious decision-making problem. My only solace is the knowledge that I'll likely be taken by a heat stroke before having to watch any of the Cardinals this season.

quote:

Well, it finally happened. Dimestore Gosling and the meathead GM were shitcanned in the same season. It was Christmas in January for about five minutes… until I remembered none of it matters while Failson Mikey is still running the show. The only thing they left on the cutting room floor for Hard Knocks was him and Justice Drunky McBeerstain chugging Heinekens while giddily deciding which Americans needed less rights in the next term. gently caress this team.

quote:

The Bidwell family has controlled the team since 1932 and in those 90 years have only had 22 seasons above .500, including two perfect seasons ('43 & '44) where they went 0-10. Bill Bidwell took over sole ownership in 1972 and recorded only 10 winning seasons until he died in 2019. He was easily the worst NFL owner in that time frame, and the Cardinals STILL inducted him into the Ring of Honor.

quote:

The 72-hour period in 2014 where the Cardinals signed Carson Palmer to a 50-million-dollar contract only to watch his ACL explode two days later is the perfect microcosm for this franchise’s absurdly laughable history with the quarterback position. I’m fairly certain Ryan Lindley is still on suicide watch from that season, and if not, he should be.

Every fan in this racist state glorifies Kurt “the world is 4,000 years old” Warner while conveniently forgetting he was too big of a chickenshit to impede James Harrison’s 100-yard pick-six IN THE loving SUPER BOWL.

In 2016, year I got into a fight with my friend who was adamantly arguing that we should pursue Wes Welker out of retirement. That’s right, he wanted the rotting corpse of Welker, who currently boasts a higher concussion per play average than Billy Bob from Varsity Blues, so that Palmer would have more weapons for the 2.5 games he would inevitably play in.

quote:

I don’t have anything left to say about this team. Instead, I’d like to celebrate a rare success in this heat pit.

I’m writing this right after Tempe voted against embracing the moribund Coyotes with a $2+ billion redevelopment project. All of the typical look-at-all-the-good-we’ll-do public stadium tactics were in play, and I was sure our community would fall for it. The local blowhards certainly did.

Yet in a decisive move, Tempe told them to gently caress off. And I couldn’t be prouder. This state may act like West Texas and even Western Florida at times, but my little corner of it finally showed some backbone against the most obvious of local scams. That at least gives me a little optimism.

Until Kyler goes 2-for-7 and leaves in the 3rd quarter after throwing nothing but limp screens. This team knows how to extinguish hope.

quote:

If you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you, and causes you to false start on third and short.

Sixteen seasons of rooting for this sulfur fart of an organization and I think this was the one that finally broke me. Coach Pallor spent the last half of 2021 and all of 2022 making GBS threads in his pants and ruining his franchise QB in the process. Even when this franchise has a future, the present won’t allow it to manifest.

I’m a fairly distant Cards fan (and a benevolent merciful father), so I didn’t push them on my son; he instead picked the Bengals of his own volition. They made the Super Bowl the following season. The loving BENGALS are better than this bullshit franchise.

The Chiefs, who do not play in State Farm Stadium, won twice as many games in State Farm Stadium last season as the Cardinals did.

quote:

I tried to indoctrinate my son into Cardinals fandom. I had dreams of him and me bonding over this piece of poo poo franchise and having the kind of relationship I never had with my Dad. I used to think when he grew up and we had nothing in common anymore, I’d be able to connect with him via our shared love of this horrible, awful team.

My son was seven years old when we drafted Josh Rosen in 2018, and somehow Rosen became his favorite player. I got him a Josh Rosen Funko Pop for Christmas (I believe the only other person who bought one that year was Josh Rosen himself). The Cardinals sucked rear end and Rosen was repeatedly benched throughout the season, but I was building a tradition with my son.

Four months later the Cardinals traded Rosen and drafted Kyler Murray, then paired him with the most unqualified head coach hired by an NFL team since Lane Kiffin. My son was devastated to see the first (admittedly terrible) player he’d connected with get traded away. I tried to keep him interested in the team when the season went south again, but eventually gave up and let him go play video games while I cried and cursed on the couch alone. When I’d give him a recap of the latest loss he’d always reply; “We should have never traded Josh Rosen.”

I haven’t tried to get him back on board for this season since there is literally nothing to be excited about. Our head coach looks like the bastard lovechild of Paul Scheer and Pee Wee Herman. Our coordinators look less like a coaching staff and more like some douchebags at the Twin Peaks in Scottsdale being reprimanded by the manager for getting handsy with their waitress again. The team’s selling point to fans is that we’re in the tank this season to start rebuilding in 2024. Give me a loving break. This team has been in rebuilding mode since Bruce Arians faked retirement so he could go win a Super Bowl with Tampa Bay. Every #1 pick in the draft they get is just a chance to find a bigger bust than the last one.

This cursed fandom will die with me. I've stuck to this moribund team out of completely misplaced pride in my home state, but there’s nothing in this arid shithole to be proud of. We are a collection of HOAs and mobile home parks gleefully sucking the aquifers dry while shouting “But it’s a dry heat!” as we pick at our melanoma scars. Arizona’s biggest export is racism and potbellied dudes in their 30s who wouldn’t last one day in basic training but still build their entire personality around Grunt Style t-shirts and AR-15s.

I’m not telling my kid to be proud of this hellhole. I’m telling him to get the gently caress out of here before what little water left gets privatized and nighttime temps never drop below triple digits. Hopefully whatver city he moves to has a franchise he can be proud of, so that he can watch them with his kids and tell them the one good thing his old man did for him was not making him be a fan of the loving Arizona Cardinals.

gently caress Steve Keim, gently caress Kliff Kingsbury with one of his lovely Joker paintings, and gently caress Michael Bidwill with the running engine of his private plane.

quote:

Still think we did Josh Rosen dirty despite all evidence.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

This should be a fun season

:hawksin:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Should we talk about how each team has done with their draft, UDFA, and free agents? I want to talk about that. Someone tell me.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

Should we talk about how each team has done with their draft, UDFA, and free agents? I want to talk about that. Someone tell me.

Seattle is still despairing on just missing out on future all Reality QB Anthony Richardson.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
My bold prediction is that the Seattle Seahawks will be as good or even a bit better than they were last year

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Cat Hassler posted:

My bold prediction is that the Seattle Seahawks will be as good or even a bit better than they were last year

While I am willing to expect less, I actually do think they have measurable reasons to expect more than last year.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Frank Gore joins the 49ers front office,

https://sports.yahoo.com/former-nfl-running-back-frank-gore-joins-49ers-front-office-203704702.html

Welcome back Frank!

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
Thursday:
Sony Michel: Getting second opportunity with Rams 'means a lot'

Friday:
Sony Michel retires

:wtf:

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

If he's anything like everyone else who's done this, it's mostly "gently caress training camp, I'm not doing this poo poo again."

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Oh cool our running backs are already dying

https://twitter.com/TaylorBisciotti/status/1685785070576230400

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

We really need to replenish our soft tissue stockpiles.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ezekiel Elliot is a free agent...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Benne posted:

WYTS hits the Cardinals today and we got some total gems this year https://defector.com/why-your-team-sucks-2023-arizona-cardinals

:goddamn: lol. Depressing but true