Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

EmbryoSteve posted:

To me this says they aren't gonna shoot for a rookie qb this year or at least are super hedging the draft

Trade back and olineman or byron murphy late first here we go !

Might juat cut geno next year and have super cheap qb in Howell and a rookie they draft next draft

I think Geno's owed a bunch of money regardless (could have been forfeited if they cut him at end of season but they held onto him) so if Geno gets cut it'd be end of next season. May as well have him for a watchability standpoint and to hopefully mentor new QBs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

What a poop trade.

Seattle now doesn’t have a second or a third.

Lame.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

What a poop trade.

Lame.

They had a second third round pick due to the Denver trade (Pick #81) last year where they moved from third round to fourth round.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

What a poop trade.

Lame.

How are you supposed to take a RB in the third if no third round pick?!

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
I feel like a DK trade is coming. Just an intuition.

this team is going to be bad, they're getting cheaper at backup QB, and they're eating all of Adams's cap this year instead of spreading it out. I think they realize they're in a rebuild while they work out the new defensive system.

shirts and skins fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Mar 15, 2024

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Everyone seems so hyped about the WR class this year, they might not get any decent offers for immediate picks. At the same time they might get decent offers after the draft from teams that didn't come away with much if they don't care about immediate returns.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I am crossing my fingers and toes that we draft OL early!!!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

shirts and skins posted:

I feel like a DK trade is coming. Just an intuition.

this team is going to be bad, they're getting cheaper at backup QB, and they're eating all of Adams's cap this year instead of spreading it out. I think they realize they're in a rebuild while they work out the new defensive system.

I hope you are right that they are accepting their situation and intentionally doing this rebuild. That was my initial thought process but then they traded for Howell, which doesn’t align with that interpretation imo.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

I feel like trading for a backup qb is a sign you've missed the point as a gm. kyler murray goes down, great we have desmond ridder instead of clayton tune. if you catch me saying that call the fbi and have them explode the chip implanted in my brain

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

unless you think you've spotted the next brock purdy, a superbowl quality quarterback

or some guy named tyrod, perennial nfl backup

or that one guy who won a superbowl, what was his name, big dick nick

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

hifi posted:

I feel like trading for a backup qb is a sign you've missed the point as a gm. kyler murray goes down, great we have desmond ridder instead of clayton tune. if you catch me saying that call the fbi and have them explode the chip implanted in my brain

I think Seattle's reasoning with Howell is that he is young (younger than either Bo Nix or Michael Penix), cheap (less than $1mm/year), and has upside - maybe a lot of his issues came from being thrown to the wolves behind maybe the worst o line in football. If that's the reasoning, then you traded back (and didn't lose any picks, just made them lower) for at least a chance at a good QB. I could see that being worth that risk if the scouts think he has enough potential. It's not like they can seriously compete this year, and he has a steady veteran to learn behind.

The majority of my brain is responding, "but it's Sam Howell," so yeah I don't think I'm with them. But we'll see I guess.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

unless you think you've spotted the next brock purdy, a superbowl quality quarterback

or some guy named tyrod, perennial nfl backup

or that one guy who won a superbowl, what was his name, big dick nick

brock purdy, famously guy that has been traded for

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Sam Howell played like Jameis Winston without the off-field baggage, and is extremely young. My personal feeling is the 3rd round and above in the draft is more or less a crapshoot, so :shrug:

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

seiferguy posted:

Sam Howell played like Jameis Winston without the off-field baggage, and is extremely young. My personal feeling is the 3rd round and above in the draft is more or less a crapshoot, so :shrug:

Second and third round picks are enormously valuable. The draft as a whole is crapshoot. That shouldn’t be a reason to throw away thirds for backup qbs.

With that said, Howell was in a bad spot with Washington so there’s a decent chance he looks better here. Will that be worth it? Only time will tell…

And luckily yeah Howell has the fun of Jameis without the sex pest. He’s either getting sacked, getting picked, or unleashing the dragon and that owns lol

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

seiferguy posted:

People are acting like they traded away all these picks rather than just moved down 20 spots twice. Pick 78 vs 102. Not too big of a deal to me when they already have pick 76. I had thought one of those thirds would be involved in some trade anyway but just to move into the 2nd somehow.

Cheap back up qb with starting xp who can farve it up without the Grey dick and all it costs is moving down 20 spots? Seems fine and now they can let the board fall to them in the draft without too much pressure to pick a qb. Hell they could still pick a qb. I'd take rattler with that other 3rd

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

20 spots is a lot of spots

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

20 spots is a lot of spots

While I think the Seahawks should lean hard in to the draft, 20 spots is really not that big of a deal after the second round.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Why is 20 spots not a big deal after the second round? That’s a huge jump.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

in the 2023 nfl draft, pick 78 was
78. Green Bay Packers - Tucker Kraft, TE, South Dakota State
and pick 102 was
102. Minnesota Vikings (from SF) * - Mekhi Blackmon, CB, USC

in the 2022 nfl draft:
78. Cleveland Browns - Alex Wright, DE, UAB
102. Miami Dolphins (from SF)* - Channing Tindall, LB, Georgia

2021:
78. Minnesota Vikings - Chazz Surratt, LB, North Carolina
102. San Francisco 49ers - Ambry Thomas, DB, Michigan

2020:
78. Atlanta: C Matt Hennessy, Temple
102. Pittsburgh*: EDGE Alex Highsmith, Charlotte

2019:
78 Miami Dolphins Michael Deiter C Wisconsin
102 Minnesota Vikings Alexander Mattison RB Boise State

Like ok these are not identical players but I'd be hard-pressed to separate out the 78s from the 102s as categorically better, individually or as a group. It's more likely that the difference is, a team has a list of guys they want and need to have a pick within a certain window to be sure of filling certain positions with a guy on their list, below which that guy probably won't fall, and each year the availability of, say, centers in the 3rd round will vary, so it's tough to compare year to year as a general statement.

I think it's tautological that a higher draft pick is worth more than a lower pick, that's like... how a draft works... but there is probably more difference between a 1st round and a 3rd than there is between a 3rd round and a 6th.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Mar 15, 2024

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
How quickly we forget that Howell and the Commanders kept the Hawks on their toes most of the Nov 12th game, and Meyers had to pull a 65-yarder out of his hat to get the win.

I recall being pretty impressed with Howell there and pulling up the stat line he had comparable numbers to Geno's.

I don't hate this.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I like that Howell says “heck to it” and throws downfield a lot

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1768671257262698849

whew

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

:getin:

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

our long divisional nightmare is over

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
Never forget Geno's "oh my God!"

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Papercut posted:

Never forget Geno's "oh my God!"
This was one of the first things I thought of when I thought of Aaron Donald retiring lmao

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Geno claims that was someone else in the recording:
https://www.fieldgulls.com/2023/9/27/23892078/seahawks-news-geno-smith-viral-oh-my-god-yell-aaron-donald-rams-game-wasnt-him

https://twitter.com/insidetheNFL/status/1706790750434816339

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Geno is a liar

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

lol who said it then? come on.

i'm very sad aaron donald is retiring.
edit: dude played the dt position, was shorter than most and still bullied offensive linemen.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Mar 15, 2024

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
What a legend. RIP to a real one

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Niners sign DeVondre Campbell, veteran LB, to a one-year deal. He's very very good, but has been injured a lot lately. He still got 75 tackles last year in just 11 games. I'm pretty stoked.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Happy to see Donald is not going to be around terrorizing Brock anymore, sad to see such an amazing player retire.

Leperflesh posted:

Niners sign DeVondre Campbell, veteran LB, to a one-year deal. He's very very good, but has been injured a lot lately. He still got 75 tackles last year in just 11 games. I'm pretty stoked.

I'm just happy that Burks or Flanagan-Fowles won't be starting for however many games Greenlaw is out next season.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Handsome Jimmy G back to the NFC West with the Rams.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I love big OL, rams gonna be good y’all.

Even if Mr Donald has gone on to greener pastures…

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
I wake up to :stare:, then get an update a couple hours later for another :stare:.

:cry:

I'm so fortunate I got to watch one of the best to ever do it for a decade while playing for my team.

It'll be all AD99 TV in my house tonight.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Whatsa AD99? Is that some Jimmy G fan club?

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Lifespan posted:

Whatsa AD99? Is that some Jimmy G fan club?

It may be, but I'll never tell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

MakaVillian posted:

He's had too much spice.

I think Fields can definitely be better than what he showed in Chicago. Honestly it probably won't even take a 2nd rounder to get him away from the Bears at this point, take a flyer if you're a team in need of a youngish QB.

justin fields to the steelers for a... 6th round draft pick.

it turns into a 4th rounder if justin fields plays 51% of snaps.

what a bargain... even trey lance was got for a 4th rounder