Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Cards once again have a great WR to waste

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
It's what we do

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Coldforge posted:

I didn't even know there were this many QBs in the entire draft class.

There's nobody even above average right now planned for next year's, so people are jumping at anything because otherwise it's realistically 2 years in the basement minimum

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Thinking about IOL…

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Falcons take Byron Murphy II, DT Texas

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

rjmccall posted:

Cards once again have a great WR to waste

I hope they take more WRs.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah we got that DT because establishing the run #1, #2 is stopping the run.

Now let's just hope he doesn't quadbike.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I assume quadbike is specifically called out before any pick at this point.

DancingMachine
Aug 12, 2004

He's a dancing machine!
Hell yeah a true DT we have needed an anchor for the D line for a long time. I was really hoping Penix would fall to the Seahawks but this isn't a bad outcome.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

LA Rams select Jared Verse, EDGE florida state

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

DancingMachine posted:

Hell yeah a true DT we have needed an anchor for the D line for a long time. I was really hoping Penix would fall to the Seahawks but this isn't a bad outcome.

I was rooting OL, but this was also a good choice. It's super funny that people were so hyped about Penix, but arguing that they should either wait for him in the second round or trade down and take him and then Atlanta took him at 8 after throwing a bunch of money at Cousins.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

If it wasn’t gonna be OL, and if it wasn’t gonna be a trade down, then Murphy is a solid talent to draft.

Seems like Seattle has a weird situation at DL though.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cardinals take Darius Robinson, DE Missouri at 27th

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I was definitely expecting Fautanu, but Seattle was loving awful against the run last season and got someone that will likely improve that quite a bit (and likely that was McCarthy's choice and proof Schneider doesn't act alone.) I don't see any obvious returns or a big market in trading down, but all of this is a total gamble anyway.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

49ers pick Ricky Pearsall, WR Florida

does this mean trading aiyuk or deebo is more likely now? doesn't seem like this guy is a top WR either

I would like to have seen a defense pick since the front half of the 1st round was so offense heavy there's gotta be some good D guys that have fallen

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
I know nothing about college football but this pick is not what I wanted to see

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Ricky Pearsall is amazing, do yourself a favor and watch some of his highlights.

Best place he ever could've landed too.

Rams I'm happy enough with Verse, was hoping for Mitchell or Wiggins but when Verse fell maybe they just couldn't pass that up. They need edge help really badly.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Lifespan posted:

I was definitely expecting Fautanu, but Seattle was loving awful against the run last season and got someone that will likely improve that quite a bit (and likely that was McCarthy's choice and proof Schneider doesn't act alone.) I don't see any obvious returns or a big market in trading down, but all of this is a total gamble anyway.

Murphys strength is pass rushing, I’m not sure how much of a relative upgrade he is as a run defender, compared to what we had.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Murphys strength is pass rushing, I’m not sure how much of a relative upgrade he is as a run defender, compared to what we had.

He's a better run defender than he's given credit for, has this awesome move where he actually drops to a knee which enables him to remain immovable against double teams

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Leperflesh posted:

LA Rams select Jared Verse, EDGE florida state

Yep. I really like this pick as it was their most important need, and if things pan out as he's been trending, it was a nice selection.

I'm assuming an OL or LB pick on Friday.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Rumors = how sports writers make a living, but this is at least funny to talk about. The Seahawks are rumored to have been one of 3 teams trying to trade in to the top 10 to get Penix before Atlanta took him:
https://www.fieldgulls.com/2024/4/2...eRz4XSuhkcQUC2_

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Lifespan posted:

Rumors = how sports writers make a living, but this is at least funny to talk about. The Seahawks are rumored to have been one of 3 teams trying to trade in to the top 10 to get Penix before Atlanta took him:
https://www.fieldgulls.com/2024/4/2...eRz4XSuhkcQUC2_

I had a suspicion that NFL teams liked Penix a lot more than the media did, and it seems like that was true. At the very least the Falcons (obviously), Broncos, Raiders, and possibly the Vikings were interested. Now the Seahawks too (maybe, rumors being what they are).

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

holefoods posted:

I am not even watching I love my trade down team

I am eating crow truly it is a new era

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I read somewhere, too lazy to fact check, that the Rams have now picked two first rounders in the last nine years. And they were both named Jared.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Play posted:

I read somewhere, too lazy to fact check, that the Rams have now picked two first rounders in the last nine years. And they were both named Jared.

This is accurate.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
The Pearsall pick sure seems like they're going to bail on Deebo as soon as his cap hit starts getting bigger.

Would rather they have taken OL or defense, but hopefully they get active tomorrow because there's no way they have enough room on the roster for 9 more rookies to make the team.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Murphy's highlight reel has some full back stuff so this is inkeeping with the tenants of The Run :hmmyes: :schotty:

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Leperflesh posted:

49ers pick Ricky Pearsall, WR Florida

does this mean trading aiyuk or deebo is more likely now? doesn't seem like this guy is a top WR either

I would like to have seen a defense pick since the front half of the 1st round was so offense heavy there's gotta be some good D guys that have fallen

Need to plan for the 2025 season when they're going to need cheap players when they lose folks to free agency.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
I don't think anybody gets traded right now, but I would not be surprised if Deebo gets shipped out this time next year after this pick. No more guaranteed money on his deal after this season and they're gonna have to start shedding money somewhere.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Pretty happy with the Seattle pick, to have him drop all the way down to 16 is extremely fortunate, especially with folks saying Murphy was the best defensive player available.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

https://twitter.com/NFL_Memes/status/1783686167235379259

I wonder if the Cardinals draft a RB to be the heir apparent behind Conner so they can establish the run

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

How does that niner draft wr feel about run blocking and jet sweeps?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Mustached Demon posted:

He took a bunch of jet sweeps in college and seemed pretty good at them. Not great, but okay and at least he has the speed. If you look up his highlights you should see at least one jet sweep taken to the house.

I haven't seen any run blocking reps, kind of hard to find those tbh without watching an entire game. But he'll either learn to do it or get cut I suppose.

The one thing I didn't know about him, and which I don't love, is he's kind of old. He'll be 24 before his first NFL game, he was actually teammates with Aiyuk at ASU which is pretty funny. But, he has great tape from this year and if anyone can figure out the best way to use him it will be the niners. A pretty large reach, though. He'd be gone by the time they picked again and they followed their hearts. But the Hawks and Rams got guys who fell much further than expected.

seiferguy posted:

Pretty happy with the Seattle pick, to have him drop all the way down to 16 is extremely fortunate, especially with folks saying Murphy was the best defensive player available.

Murphy is a really good player imo. Forget best defensive player available, he might be the best defensive player in this entire draft. For my money he definitely is the best on the D line between both edge and interior, maybe the CBs are better but that's hard to say.

e: I guess he was only the second defensive player taken lol, makes sense

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

He's a returner too isn't he?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yes.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Mustached Demon posted:

Scouting report says he's a willing blocker. I cannot imagine Lynch/Shanahan would ever take an early WR that didn't run block.

From reading various scouting reports he seems like a perfect fit in Shanahan's system, however the draft value doesn't seem to be there. If you like him, either trade back into the early 2nd round (Carolina might've been open) or make a different pick at 31 (DB) and use your 10,000 compensatory picks to move up in the 2nd and get him.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

MakaVillian posted:

Scouting report says he's a willing blocker. I cannot imagine Lynch/Shanahan would ever take an early WR that didn't run block.

From reading various scouting reports he seems like a perfect fit in Shanahan's system, however the draft value doesn't seem to be there. If you like him, either trade back into the early 2nd round (Carolina might've been open) or make a different pick at 31 (DB) and use your 10,000 compensatory picks to move up in the 2nd and get him.
The draft value is subjective though. The talking heads on TV dont value the picks or do the scouting that the teams do or the grade that the teams have for players. Just like the Falcons knew they may not be able to trade back and still get Penix, the 9ers probably knew someone else was hoping to land him so they just made the pick. I could be wrong, but at this point I would trust that FO to make the right move because they know something that we dont.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
I trust them in general because yeah we don't know what's going on behind the scenes, who is on whose draft board, how they have players graded, etc. We don't know that they could've traded around to get their guy later in the draft.

But also, loving third-round kicker last year jfc

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

The draft value is subjective though. The talking heads on TV dont value the picks or do the scouting that the teams do or the grade that the teams have for players. Just like the Falcons knew they may not be able to trade back and still get Penix, the 9ers probably knew someone else was hoping to land him so they just made the pick. I could be wrong, but at this point I would trust that FO to make the right move because they know something that we dont.

True draft value is subjective but your draft team should still be working up likely preferences for the rest of the league and clearly neither Buffalo or Carolina were going to pick him. Sure an extra 4th or 5th isn't likely to make a big difference but you still need to maximize all aspects of your draft, getting locked in on 1 guy is how you do things like draft Penix #8 or Bo Nix #12.

I'm not mad or anything, he's a great fit for the system and it wasn't a massive overdraft, but mildly perplexed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
The Seahawks have failed to draft AR12 for the 2nd year in a row :(