Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The first one was a bad miss. The second was like a 62 yarder or something, just a BS attempt at the end of the half. But still yes I am very not happy that they let Gould go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I think the announcers said oh he looked good in TC. Like yeah no poo poo, barely any pressure. Dude just looked bad. Like Jose Cortez bad.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Trey Lance sucks rear end, no two ways about it

The kicker will probably be fine

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
how is Shanahan so awful at QB evaluation

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Trey Lance won't be the first first-rounder NFL QB who is a total bust. If he is a bust. He hasn't got a lot of actual game experience yet. I definitely think Brock Purdy is better though, he's the hero of the story and I hope he stays healthy and takes us to the super bowl because I'm quite convinced he's capable.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

indigi posted:

how is Shanahan so awful at QB evaluation

Like half the QBs taken top-10 in the last decade have been busts so it seems like not just a Kyle problem

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Papercut posted:

Like half the QBs taken top-10 in the last decade have been busts so it seems like not just a Kyle problem

josh rosen a nation turns it's lonely eyes to you

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Papercut posted:

his first choice was Kirk Cousins, his backup option was Jimmy Garoppolo, then he trades a boat to pick Trey Lance who is ultimately outperformed by Brock Purdy, and this offseason is comparing Sam Darnold to Steve Young and giving him backup snaps over Lance. he's been bad at it for years

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Papercut posted:

Fairly sure this has always been true. Most players aren’t good, even the ones that seem really good out of college. QBs are the highest visibility position so it just gets noticed more. Partly a function of the fact that if you get a good one you stick with them as long as possible, but how many decision makers/executives have more than 1 good QB pick on their resume?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

indigi posted:

his first choice was Kirk Cousins, his backup option was Jimmy Garoppolo, then he trades a boat to pick Trey Lance who is ultimately outperformed by Brock Purdy, and this offseason is comparing Sam Darnold to Steve Young and giving him backup snaps over Lance. he's been bad at it for years

Cousins and Garoppolo are totally fine QBs though. And today especially is a weird day to be criticizing him for giving backup snaps to Darnold over Lance.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Papercut posted:

Cousins and Garoppolo are totally fine QBs though.

lol ok

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Cousins isn't MVP tier but he's still upper third of QBs.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Cousins and Jimmy are actually good, they just aren't Mahomes level good.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

indigi posted:

You just need to focus on the value he found in Big Cock Brock

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Lance needed to be healthy and get good reps and he's really been able to get neither of those things in 3 years. He could probably still turn it around but i'm not sure if the 49ers are the place where he can/will, the team is built to win now and I don't know that Lance is.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Cousins is fine pre-January, Jimmy's fine when healthy

Both are extremely preferable to Lance at this point

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Between two passes that should have been intercepted and the glacial decision making, we really should have traded Trey in the preseason.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
I still think it is difficult to make any conclusions with how little Lance has played, but also by potentially lucking out with Purdy being startable Lance might not get the chance. I am not a football player, but I am a goon, so the closest analogy I can think of is when the Guitar Hero type games were popular in the late 2000s. If you play Guitar Hero a bunch the game seems to slow down as your brain gets better at processing the information or however that works, but if you take a break for a period of time it seems too fast and difficult whenever you go back to it, even if you were good at it just a few months before. Someone who had years of being a good QB like Watson missed less time than when Lance last played a full season of football and still looked like garbage when he came back. I am not saying Lance is going to be good, but I am not confident we have enough information to determine that now either :shrug:. I was hoping they would draft Fields anyway.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Pain of Mind posted:

I was hoping they would draft Fields anyway.
Oh lawdy imagine Fields in Shanahan's offense.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

mllaneza posted:

Between two passes that should have been intercepted and the glacial decision making, we really should have traded Trey in the preseason.

To who? All of the reporting was that nobody was interested.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

it remains to be seen whether Lance is a Josh Rosen level of bust, or if he'll wind up developing into a QB that will have a backup job, somewhere in the NFL. And there's still a chance he'll Jared Goff it up after a bad first showing and wind up a starter somewhere, too. We'll see.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

I was a Goff skeptic but he was at least better than Lance. The idea that Lance has some sort of trade value has always felt like copium.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

it remains to be seen whether Lance is a Josh Rosen level of bust, or if he'll wind up developing into a QB that will have a backup job, somewhere in the NFL.

he might even wind up being a Sam Darnold level bust (I don't actually think it's fair to compare him to either because of the injuries)

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

King Hong Kong posted:

I was a Goff skeptic but he was at least better than Lance. The idea that Lance has some sort of trade value has always felt like copium.

Tom Tolbert yesterday was saying he'd take a 2nd for Lance but not a 3rd lol

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

I don't know that he's a bust, if only because he hasn't had much of a chance to show anything.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

MakaVillian posted:

I don't know that he's a bust, if only because he hasn't had much of a chance to show anything.

100% this. The question is, will he ever get a chance to show anything if Purdy is named QB1? I mean sure, there's a chance Purdy gets hurt, then does Shanahan go to Darnold or Lance?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

King Hong Kong posted:

Trey Lance has started 8 games total, 6 in 2021 and 2 in 2022. His completion rate of 54.9 is terrible, he has 5 TDs and 3 INTs which is way too small of a sample size to draw conclusions from, and his quarterback rating of 84.5 is not great.

Jared Goff started 7 games in 2016, which makes it a convenient comparison. His completion rate of 54.6 was terrible, he had 5 TDs for 7 INTs which is way too small of a sample size to draw conclusions from but is much worse than Lance's, and his quarterback rating of 63.6 was really loving bad.

This is a very simplistic comparison but I feel like most of us were writing off Goff after his 2016 abysmal season and he made the pro bowl in 2017.

In short, I'm a Lance skeptic but it's far too early to say anything conclusive about what kind of quarterback he'll wind up as after he racks up another season or two of starts... assuming he actually gets another season or two of starts, which may have to wait till he's no longer a 49er because Brock Purdy if he can stay healthy is a far better quarterback today, for sure.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

You're forgetting the most important QB job of all: handing the ball off. Who does it better?

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Leperflesh posted:

Trey Lance has started 8 games total, 6 in 2021 and 2 in 2022. His completion rate of 54.9 is terrible, he has 5 TDs and 3 INTs which is way too small of a sample size to draw conclusions from, and his quarterback rating of 84.5 is not great.

Jared Goff started 7 games in 2016, which makes it a convenient comparison. His completion rate of 54.6 was terrible, he had 5 TDs for 7 INTs which is way too small of a sample size to draw conclusions from but is much worse than Lance's, and his quarterback rating of 63.6 was really loving bad.

This is a very simplistic comparison but I feel like most of us were writing off Goff after his 2016 abysmal season and he made the pro bowl in 2017.

The issue is not just games played at this point. Yeah, Goff’s first season was garbage but he developed during the next off-season. Lance has had two off-seasons since his rookie year. True, he got unlucky last year, but he still looks like a garbageman after yet another off-season, which just makes it seem like he’s got no innate potential to improve.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

One of those Lance games last year was in a monsoon, so I bet his stats for that are bad. I dont think overall stats that Leperflesh are too indicative of anything (like he said) but some context can be helpful.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

Leperflesh posted:

In short, I'm a Lance skeptic but it's far too early to say anything conclusive about what kind of quarterback he'll wind up as after he racks up another season or two of starts... assuming he actually gets another season or two of starts, which may have to wait till he's no longer a 49er because Brock Purdy if he can stay healthy is a far better quarterback today, for sure.

I think one name gives Goff a pass on year one that Lance doesn't get:

Jeff Fischer

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fisher

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
What makes Lance weirder is that even when he was drafted I remember people saying it'd probably take a few years for him to get it together. So I'm not really down on him because he's kinda sucked, because everyone expected him to kinda suck at first, but it's up in the air whether all the missed time means either he's lost a crucial period of development that you just can't recover from or if a change of scenery & more consistent playing time would allow him to figure out the things he should've been figuring out the last couple of years.

I can still imagine a world where out of nowhere 27 year old Trey Lance is pretty good, but I think it'd require the kinda Steve Young path Shanahan was suggesting for Darnold

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Dutchy posted:

What makes Lance weirder is that even when he was drafted I remember people saying it'd probably take a few years for him to get it together. So I'm not really down on him because he's kinda sucked, because everyone expected him to kinda suck at first, but it's up in the air whether all the missed time means either he's lost a crucial period of development that you just can't recover from or if a change of scenery & more consistent playing time would allow him to figure out the things he should've been figuring out the last couple of years.

I can still imagine a world where out of nowhere 27 year old Trey Lance is pretty good, but I think it'd require the kinda Steve Young path Shanahan was suggesting for Darnold

there are more examples of guys developing in their mid-late 20s than Steve Young, even if we only look at the 49ers. if he tops out at Harbaugh/Reid-era Alex Smith after a similarly long, bumpy start to his career, I think most teams would be happy with that, and it seems achievable. probably needs a change of scenery though cause Shanahan clearly has a type and I never really saw how Lance fit into it

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Good news ! Johnnydel's Football Academy is back for the new season, with a breakdown of Trey's first outing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kfkO751FBY

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

mllaneza posted:

Good news ! Johnnydel's Football Academy is back for the new season, with a breakdown of Trey's first outing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kfkO751FBY

Hell yes

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/RomeroJoseM/status/1691532610575769600?t=LLQE3MvormKbaya4hlCDHw&s=19

Yeah, good luck with that, LJ.

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

he looks ecstatic for his new job with the cardinals!!!!

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
LJ Collier is probably my least favorite John Schneider pick. Was projected to be a 4th-5th rounder in pre-draft, lost his starting job in college his junior year and never had standout numbers. Puzzling pick when there were other better DEs to grab at that spot.

Malik McDowell will always be the biggest bust because of his ATV accident but I at least understood the thought process of a high risk high reward pick with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

seiferguy posted:

LJ Collier is probably my least favorite John Schneider pick. Was projected to be a 4th-5th rounder in pre-draft, lost his starting job in college his junior year and never had standout numbers. Puzzling pick when there were other better DEs to grab at that spot.

Malik McDowell will always be the biggest bust because of his ATV accident but I at least understood the thought process of a high risk high reward pick with him.

The collier pick was just so left field even more than the penny pick or Jordyn brooks. Definitely a result of getting too cute trading down imo should have taken montez sweat at 21.

McDowell pick sucks cuz of injury. I generally think of busts as people who at least play and don't perform and an indictment on the player. If the draft pick never plays just a waste.

EmbryoSteve fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Aug 17, 2023