Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
At least McDowell had top-10 buzz at one point and a lot of people thought it was a steal getting him in the 2nd

The Collier pick just made no sense at the time, in context, or in process. A classic case of Schneider stubbornly sticking to his board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
To be fair, McDowell had red flags about his character (which, given NFL scouts, is EXTREMELY dubious) but I don't think anyone thought that meant "will drive an ATV recklessly on a street without a helmet after being drafted."

It was a little funny when he got arrested and was shouting "do you know who I am??" No dude because you hosed yourself out of a playing position lol

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Bonus Football Academy content, a look at some of the players trying to make the roster. Some that did well, and a couple that didn't. Keep an eye on these guys tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8R6NDhDm8w

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Trey looked a tad better that time. Granted he was Q3. :v:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Shindragon posted:

More importantly, Moody got a confidence boost.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Shindragon posted:

Yeah, Darnold looks like the backup this season so far. The big standout of this game was #10 Bell. He's playing somewhere this season, I hope it's here.

EmbryoSteve
Dec 18, 2004

Taste~The~Rainbow

My blood sugar is gon' be like

~^^^^*WHOA*^^^^~

JSN getting wrist surgery this week.

Top picks just can't be healthy

Time for BoBo shine

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

EmbryoSteve posted:

JSN getting wrist surgery this week.

Top picks just can't be healthy

Time for BoBo shine

How does this keep happening, it's ridiculous

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
On the plus side, Jamal Adams is coming off the PUP tomorrow and will start doing practice walkthroughs so fingers crossed. Brooks is expected to be in action for week 1.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Lifespan posted:

On the plus side, Jamal Adams is coming off the PUP tomorrow and will start doing practice walkthroughs so fingers crossed. Brooks is expected to be in action for week 1.

broken fingers crossed

sorry, sorry

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

How worried should we be about Nick Bosa's ability to punish those who stray from The Run?

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Not super surprising but poor Lance

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1694419977397272870?s=20

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

MakaVillian posted:

Not super surprising but poor Lance
https://theathletic.com/4798047/2023/08/22/49ers-backup-quarterback-lance-darnold/
code:
SANTA CLARA, Calif. — Kyle Shanahan said the competition between Trey Lance and Sam Darnold to be the San Francisco 49ers’ No. 2 quarterback could continue during the regular season.

Shanahan said he’d likely announce the pecking order prior to the team’s Week 1 game in Pittsburgh. After all, the so-called “third quarterback” rule allows teams to dress three passers on game days but they still have to designate which are the first two.

But he also indicated the quarterback order “definitely” could change during the season and that Darnold could run the scout team one week — which is typically the purview of the No. 2 quarterback — and Lance could run it in the next.

Scout-team duty proved to be an excellent way for Brock Purdy to prepare himself for the speed of an NFL game. The 49ers defensive players last season raved about how aggressive Purdy was in practices and how he gave them opportunities to make plays on the ball. Some young quarterbacks try to be careful in those situations. Purdy didn’t, and in testing the defense he not only sharpened that unit but also figured out his own limits.

“If you don’t build those scars up, how would you know where not to throw the ball?” defensive back Jimmie Ward, now with the Houston Texans, said last year. “How would you trust yourself? How would you build your confidence if you don’t go through the right steps?”

49ers defenders didn't have to urge Brock Purdy to take more chances in practice

In that way, running the scout team would seem to be a bigger benefit for Lance than Darnold. Lance, after all, only has attempted 102 passes in the regular season and needs all the repetitions he can get. Darnold has attempted 1,765 passes.

Shanahan, however, said the defense takes precedence in that scenario. Whichever quarterback provides the best facsimile of San Francisco’s upcoming opponent will be tapped for duty that week.

“This is the NFL,” Shanahan said. “So you think about how to get your team ready to win that week and most of that has to do with who’s best for our defense, who gets them the right look and prepares our team the best way for what they’re about to face on Sunday. And after that, you try to get everyone reps because you only get better with reps.”

Shanahan, who spoke before Tuesday’s practice, said he hadn’t decided how he’ll allocate the quarterback snaps in Friday’s preseason finale against the Los Angeles Chargers. If it follows the pattern established in the first two games, Lance will enter the game ahead of Darnold. If Darnold enters first, it could hint at what Shanahan’s No. 2 quarterback announcement will be before the Pittsburgh Steelers game.

One thing that seems clear is that Purdy and the starting group will play more than the one series they had Saturday against the Denver Broncos.
Brock Purdy and the 49ers’ starting offense are likely to see more action than the one series they played last week. (Kyle Terada / USA Today)

“It looks like we’ll be getting a decent amount of snaps on Friday,” center Jake Brendel said.

Brendel also noted that the Chargers use a 3-4 defense that’s similar, at least in structure, to what the 49ers will face in Pittsburgh. The 49ers defense he faces every day in practice uses a four-man front.

“Anytime we can see a different defense, a different structure of the secondary, different linebackers on the second level — those are all reps we should be banking going into the regular season,” Brendel said.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

NBC Bay Area has kind of confirmed Pelissero

https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/trey-lance-sam-darnold-backup-qb/1650089/

"The team is in the process of “exploring all options,” a source confirmed Wednesday morning to NBC Sports Bay Area."

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/CamInman/status/1694430439963046202

He gone

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Trade Trey Lance to the Rams

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I appreciate the picture here of a quality handoff.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/AndrewBrandt/status/1694482704774078625?s=20

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

DariusLikewise posted:

Trade Trey Lance to the Rams

No.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
49ers legend Sam Darnold.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

To Dallas for a 4th.

https://twitter.com/espn/status/1695215985832161491?s=20

Didn't see Dallas coming

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
That's a better return than I was expecting, nice

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Unexpected, but certainly can’t complain. Bye, Trey.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Honestly shocked. Good luck, Lance.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Still kind of underwhelmed, I was hoping to see him play for a season to see what they actually had.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Wow, surprised they got that done so quickly and managed anything above a 5th.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

King Hong Kong posted:

Wow, surprised they got that done so quickly and managed anything above a 5th.

After the Cards gave up a 5th for Dobbs, I felt like there was no way SF would let Lance go for the same. I'm just surprised there was a willing trade partner.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
That was abrupt.

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice
we got a 2019 2nd and a 2020 5th for Rosen back when, but I think it was only 1 year after drafting him.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Wow the cowboys. Huh didnt see that coming. Also a 4th for him i honestly an surprised we got that high.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I feel like this is the essence of selling at the bottom, it would have been better to at least let him play one more preseason game, since he looked OK in the last one. Might have got more for him.

There's a dead money cap hit too. Yuck.

Who is gonna be our QB3?

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Bills made a lower offer

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

I feel like this is the essence of selling at the bottom, it would have been better to at least let him play one more preseason game, since he looked OK in the last one. Might have got more for him.

There's a dead money cap hit too. Yuck.

Who is gonna be our QB3?

No way you let him play anymore before you trade him. With his/49ers luck he'd suffer a Alex Smith type injury.

They save 940k this year and next year they save over 5 million.

Brandon Allen is QB3

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Coldforge posted:

Honestly shocked. Good luck, Lance.

Me too. I was thinking they would keep him as QB3 in case of injury. But I guess they're Ok with Brandon Allen?!???

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
QBs with potential / high draft prestige will always garner some interest. For some reason everyone kept convincing themselves Sam Bradford was just a few unlucky breaks from being the real deal. Matt Flynn got traded for a 5th and a conditional.

That said, Trey Lance backing up Dak seems a lot better than whatever the hell they had before.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I liked lance so I’m sad the went to the cowboys and i have to hate him now. Buts it’s true: he’s a jerk and a bust

feller
Jul 5, 2006

DeimosRising posted:

I liked lance so I’m sad the went to the cowboys and i have to hate him now. Buts it’s true: he’s a jerk and a bust

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

DeimosRising posted:

He was fast and strong and unlucky. I wish him the best.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Look. I get that the preseason is about giving reps to the bench and finding the line between bench and practice squad and cut, but holy poo poo the Rams looked loving dire tonight. If that is their depth... why did Aaron Donald come back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Lifespan posted:

Look. I get that the preseason is about giving reps to the bench and finding the line between bench and practice squad and cut, but holy poo poo the Rams looked loving dire tonight. If that is their depth... why did Aaron Donald come back?

I'm seeing 28.5 million reasons.

https://overthecap.com/player/aaron-donald/2952