Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Frank Gore joins the 49ers front office,

https://sports.yahoo.com/former-nfl-running-back-frank-gore-joins-49ers-front-office-203704702.html

Welcome back Frank!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I'm going to go with "shoulda traded Lance in the offseason." You know, before this performance.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Between two passes that should have been intercepted and the glacial decision making, we really should have traded Trey in the preseason.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Good news ! Johnnydel's Football Academy is back for the new season, with a breakdown of Trey's first outing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kfkO751FBY

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Bonus Football Academy content, a look at some of the players trying to make the roster. Some that did well, and a couple that didn't. Keep an eye on these guys tonight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8R6NDhDm8w

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Shindragon posted:

Trey looked a tad better that time. Granted he was Q3. :v:

Yeah, Darnold looks like the backup this season so far. The big standout of this game was #10 Bell. He's playing somewhere this season, I hope it's here.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Defense wins championships!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Papercut posted:

I still can't believe the Niners were able to trade for CMC, he's ridiculous

Speaking of the Niners and trades, apparently we've got $40 mil cap space after signing Bosa.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Play posted:

I love the fact that the 49ers just up and dumped Lance. Didn't listen to the narratives, they realized what they had with Brock and decided this is his team and Lance was kind of trash.

Not sure Darnold is really a better option than Lance, but in terms of handing Brock Purdy the keys to the team, saying very clearly that he is their guy going forward, absolutely love that. He earned every bit

Based on the preseason games I watched, Darnold is definitely better than Lance. He made decisions faster and was more accurate in both reads and throws. He might even have looked better than Purdy did last preseason.

Trey though, he's regressed. I think his mind was just out of football too long for him to be as present as he should have been.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Oh god that was awful. I saw a video on Purdy on my YT feed. I thought it was from Kurt Warner's channel - which is pretty good - so I clicked on it. Oh no, it was JT "Just Touchdowns" O'Sullivan. Motherfucker, I've been to some of your games. I am not interested on your opinion on or analysis of a QB who can actually play the game.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

This team is not as bad an everyone initially thought they'd be.

The Rams are probably going to be a middle of the road team. They've got a good defense, and when they aren't up against last season's #1 defense, they have a solid offense. Their rookie WR, Puka Nacua, set a couple of rookie WR records against a great defense. He's going to be a player to watch, and you'll probably see a lot of him on highlight reels.

They aren't winning the division though, not by a long shot.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Football Academy time!

There's a very good breakdown of what changed on defense in the second half.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKQHu6NjcYc

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Purdy throws two picks, one returned for six. CMC fumbles. Aiyuk misses the second half. Niners still win 52 to 6. Happy birthday.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

A new channel has appeared!

I like this guy. It's his literally first video. It's got good analysis, good production values, and he's got some funny verbal tics, "this cat... <draws box>"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fvMuhcqKr4

And yeah, it is unfair. 90-42 for scoring over the first three games is demonic.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Because there's literally nothing but a suburban hellscape between Union Square and the Santa Cruz Boardwalk. What would the bumpers be of in that vast, yawning empty space?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Speaking of rushing, former 49er Raheem Mostert had three TDs against the Broncos today. Miami's other RB had two. That's 285 yards rushing between the two.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Mister Perky posted:

warms the heart to see Mostert proselytizing for The Runligion in another division

So let it be written, so let it be run.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I miss ol' Spicy Mostert, I really do.

We're pretty set at RB these days, but I do sometimes get nostalgic for 75-yard TD runs on the first play of the game.

I hope he gets hella paid.
I hope he stacks those stats.
I hope he follows Frank Gore into the HoF.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Papercut posted:

CMC, Purdy, Aiyuk are all absolute ballers

Hargrave is such a ridiculous addition to the defense

They all had absurd days. Purdy threw 20/21 for 283 and a TD, 148 yards to Aiyuk, CMC just CMC'd all over the place 177 total yards and 4 TDs, and Hargrave had a sack. Calling this unfair is exactly right.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Bell got on the field, we can safely assume that he's blocking in practice.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Forrest on Fire posted:

Blocking is fun when you establish the Run

Let linemen have fun. Ground and pound.

Bocking is for WRs too!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

I could see one of those SEA games being the 49ers first loss.

Divisional games yo.

In honor of Purdy breaking Steve Young's single-game passing percentage record, we're getting a Football Academy double header. Up first, 21/22 for 283 and 1 TD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58J5uOc_FWA

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Nobody hates LA as much as we northern Californians, lol

The one constant in Bay Area sports is "beat LA".

One of my very favorite moments in Warriors history was beating the Lakers in a 20-62 season. That ruled so much, never mind that it meant so little.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Papercut posted:

All Niners fans must feel something about the Saints

Pity.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

This is true of San Diego as well, and it made adjusting to living here so much easier for my Norcal rear end.

The Chargers get a pass. LDT, Seau, Rivers were all fun to watch.

It also helps that we made Dan Fouts look bad in a Super Bowl.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

On that one I should theoretically be mad the Giants, but the loss was so flukey (Kyle Williams :/ ) and Eli beating Brady again was too funny

Yeah, it came down to a Tedd Ginn Jr. injury and Williams muffing two kicks. I'm still hype enough about Alex Smith winning a 4th quarter shootout with Drew Brees that I can't be mad about the loss the next week.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Dennis Erickson delenda est.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

A day that will be long remembered.

42-10 :hmbol:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Play posted:

an excellent run blocking o line squad

Mason had 10 caries for a nice 69 yards and a TD last night. Any competent RB would be balling out behind this o-line.

I say put Lynch in the HoF again as a GM, he's built an amazing team with talent at every position.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

I can't quite find the correct metric for it but I think Brock reads better than Jimmy G. He's quick at seeing which routes are probably the most open and he puts the ball there. Brock sees the window and hits it. Jimmy G was more prone to bad reads.

Watch Purdy's footwork as he goes through his reads. He sets his feet for each stage in his progression so he's ready to throw the instant he sees an open receiver.

And yeah, use Mason more. CMC isn't fragile, but he is precious.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Papercut posted:

The breakdown from this play through the Deebo big gain is a good illustration of what Purdy excels at and why everything looks so easy. It's not just about Shanahan scheming guys open, it's Purdy making ridiculously quick reads even when the defense tries to disguise what they're doing.

I like the accuracy on the pass to Aiyuk that came back on a penalty, that's perfect placement. Possibly the single most impressive play was the flea-flicker; that starts at 6:38. Not for Shanahan deciding to just style on people. Not for the quality of the throw. Not even for the player who was supposed to cover Kittle being completely fooled on the play. It's the steel nerve of Purdy. Look where the closest defender to him is when he releases the ball: directly in front of him and one step away. Purdy throws the ball like he's all alone on the field, and then he gets hit as soon as the ball is out. You just can't pressure the guy.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

That's also the source of Jimmy's signature interception. Defenders know which throw he's going to make in those situations, so they're guessing right more often when they make a move for the pick.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

MakaVillian posted:

Jimmy was a perfectly cromulent QB for the Shanahan system but Purdy is almost a perfect fit because I think he processes like Shanahan would if he was a QB. His ability to throw outside the numbers and move around both inside and out of the pocket is the icing on the cake.

For me it's one part the anticipation and one part the (related) ability to place the ball so receivers can run after the catch. That last bit also means his receivers aren't ever getting blown up after they make the catch. They get tackled hard, but that happens 5, 10, 20 yards downfield from where they made the catch. I can't think of a single time this season that a Niner caught the ball and got smoked immediately; tackled immediately yes, but not blown up.

This feeds me, Cowboys fan reacting to the highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5I5GBk1srbQ

I wish this guy would feed me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv4n1Cj7c1k

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

When the run has been established

Yeah, that's just not fair.

:hmbol:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I also knew the Niners were going to lose when Brock threw the second pick.

Well, that was :fork:, but I was resigned to losing at the half.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Dutchy posted:

This time last year the Niners dropped to 3-4 after getting cut up by Marcus Mariota and then totally thrashed by the Chiefs so while I haven't enjoyed these last two games very much either, I think we should keep some perspective and wait to panic until after losing to Cincinnati

Yeah, a three game losing streak is where it goes from "goddamnit" to "wtf?"

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Benne posted:

Statistically Sam Darnold is one of the very worst QBs of the 21st Century. "Mid" would be a massive improvement for him.

Darnold actually looked "fine" in the preseason. He knew the parts of the offense that were installed, he made his reads at an acceptable rate, and put the ball pretty much where he was supposed to. With Deebo and Williams back, he can run something that resembles our offense. We'd still lose unless the defense untucks itself, but it probably wouldn't be on him.

The one thing I am sure of, he looked waaaaaaaaay better than Trey Lance did.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Well we're in some pretty poo poo now man.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Mustached Demon posted:

This is my advice for Sam Darnold: trust the Run and all will be revealed.

So let it be written, so let it be run. In Levis as in Candlestick, amen.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Maggot Soup posted:

https://x.com/AdamSchefter/status/1718012392557175193?s=20

Please do not rush him back to be Tua'd for the season.

This. I'd rather lose two more games than have Purdy get early CTE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Benne posted:

God drat they are SOSAR'ing hard today

I'd be enjoying it much more if it wasn't the Cowboys doing it to them.