Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Go, the San Francisco 49ers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

bet ten dollars on the cards, you could win two hundred thousand, that's what that means right

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Gore the defense. Gore is the verb for that now. You know exactly what it means. It means, establish.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Should we talk about how each team has done with their draft, UDFA, and free agents? I want to talk about that. Someone tell me.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ezekiel Elliot is a free agent...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

the first preseason night was last week, but yeah that's a pretty silly name

although at least his parents didn't name him bob

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The first one was a bad miss. The second was like a 62 yarder or something, just a BS attempt at the end of the half. But still yes I am very not happy that they let Gould go.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Trey Lance won't be the first first-rounder NFL QB who is a total bust. If he is a bust. He hasn't got a lot of actual game experience yet. I definitely think Brock Purdy is better though, he's the hero of the story and I hope he stays healthy and takes us to the super bowl because I'm quite convinced he's capable.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

it remains to be seen whether Lance is a Josh Rosen level of bust, or if he'll wind up developing into a QB that will have a backup job, somewhere in the NFL. And there's still a chance he'll Jared Goff it up after a bad first showing and wind up a starter somewhere, too. We'll see.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

King Hong Kong posted:

I was a Goff skeptic but he was at least better than Lance. The idea that Lance has some sort of trade value has always felt like copium.

Trey Lance has started 8 games total, 6 in 2021 and 2 in 2022. His completion rate of 54.9 is terrible, he has 5 TDs and 3 INTs which is way too small of a sample size to draw conclusions from, and his quarterback rating of 84.5 is not great.

Jared Goff started 7 games in 2016, which makes it a convenient comparison. His completion rate of 54.6 was terrible, he had 5 TDs for 7 INTs which is way too small of a sample size to draw conclusions from but is much worse than Lance's, and his quarterback rating of 63.6 was really loving bad.

This is a very simplistic comparison but I feel like most of us were writing off Goff after his 2016 abysmal season and he made the pro bowl in 2017.

In short, I'm a Lance skeptic but it's far too early to say anything conclusive about what kind of quarterback he'll wind up as after he racks up another season or two of starts... assuming he actually gets another season or two of starts, which may have to wait till he's no longer a 49er because Brock Purdy if he can stay healthy is a far better quarterback today, for sure.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I feel like this is the essence of selling at the bottom, it would have been better to at least let him play one more preseason game, since he looked OK in the last one. Might have got more for him.

There's a dead money cap hit too. Yuck.

Who is gonna be our QB3?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Niners have cut

CB Nate Brooks
DL La'Darius Hamilton
DL Breeland Speaks
LB Kyahva Tezino
DL Spencer Waege

Taco Charlton was also put on IR earlier and then his contract terminated.

One interesting tidbit, if Bosa holds out through tomorrow he doesn't count as part of the initial 53, and that might be enough to let the niners keep RayRay McCloud or another injured guy through Tuesday, after which they can put him on IR without losing him for the whole season, opening the slot back up for Bosa. If they put McCloud onto IR today he's out for the year.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I wasn't sure if Zakelj would make the team after that absurd string of holding penalties.

trilljester posted:

Happy to see Ronnie Bell made it. Can't believe they kept that kicker Moody.

Bell flashed some brilliant play, albeit against other teams' #2s and 3s, I'm excited to see what he can do. I thought maybe Willie Snead would grab the last WR spot, because of his experience. And yeah I've got trepidations about our kicker situation.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

yeah the niners have like 28th in waiver order or some poo poo like that, they're only going to get players nobody wants

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

kensei posted:

Yeah 14 is, a lot. Impressive work by the scouting arm to hit on that many dudes.

respectfully, I would argue that it remains to be seen whether they have in fact hit on that many dudes - their having made the final roster of this particular Los Angeles Rams is not a convincing metric

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

SOSAR: Same Old Sorry rear end... Rookies?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Steve Young remembers.
https://twitter.com/SteveYoungQB/status/1697459348178395404

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The 49ers started last season pretty shaky but then picked up C mc C and lance got hurt and their third string quarterback was a revelation. Despite a couple of key losses in free agency, I think the team is likely to start much better and finish with 10 wins or more, unless Purdy gets hurt again. The two areas I'm concerned about are the secondary besides Ward and Hufanga, but there's some potential talent there... and the kicker position, which jesus loving christ I hope we don't have to rely on a lot of field goals this year.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I remember game one of last season, in which the niners slid all over a drenched field looking like absolute fools, and then went on a run towards the superbowl that was only derailed by all the quarterbacks dying.

It's week one. The wailing and gnashing of teeth, while amusing, is premature.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Carillon posted:

What was that flag on Jauan Jennings? The defender was facing him so it wasn't in the back, he didn't target the head?

If it's the rule I'm thinking of, "crackback blocks" are also called for a blind-side block, which says you can't block the defender if he can't see it coming. I think of it as the the defenseless receiver rule, but applied to blocking against the defense.

e. also, Aiyuk has been the biggest deep ball threat and he was obviously hurting all game. Ray Ray also has the long ball but I don't see him getting many offensive snaps. Brock definitely overthrew two or three deep shots though, and I wonder if that's a timing issue because he expects Aiyuk to be running that route and Aiyuk runs it faster?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Coldforge posted:

https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/john-lynch-salary-cap-space/1656252/

Restructure contracts in the current year to create future cap space? This is some twistedly brilliant bullshitting of the cap rules.

Yeah like also you could go for a one-year rental of some expensive free agents if you wanted, too. It's good to not gently caress up your future with terrible deals, but this statement from Lynch doesn't pass the most basic scrutiny.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Imagine naming your tiny little baby "Brock." What kind of person does that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

JPrime posted:

it's gotta be short for something, right? Brocktopher? Brockken?

in my head canon he is now and forever Brocktopher Purdy (shortened from Purdestychensenden at ellis island), thank you.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

trilljester posted:

Fellow Niners goons, does tomorrow's game feel like a trap game? It's my birthday tomorrow and I've never had good luck with my teams playing on that day.

My worry with games like this is that we get a bunch of stupid awful injuries in a game we were always going to dominate because our over-eager excited players just hurl themselves into danger, that is the only way they know how to play. It's gonna loving suck losing one of our stars for the season midway through the third quarter of a blowout game, but that's the story of the 49ers.

And the problem with TNF, too. I think that the players haven't had enough rest since the last game and I bet that increases injury risk although I've not looked up statistics on that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I think Purdy needs to work on accuracy a bit. He did have some very nice throws, but also a couple that could have been intercepted and a handful that were just off target, including a couple that receivers stretched and caught anyway to bail him out a bit.

There were also some costly penalties that killed a couple drives. Gotta clean up those personal fouls.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I kinda also like the manning bros and guest kinda halfassedly chat over the game and sometimes predict what the play is before the snap, too, but the amazon coverage is pretty good.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's some restored wetlands. Do a live shot of magestic birds maybe. There's also some historic missions, we can commemorate the forcible conversion of the native people by showcasing some mud buildings?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

It's unrealistic to expect superbowl runs. Like, they're incredibly rare, even for extremely good coaches. You can expect to make the playoffs regularly with a really good coach and GM putting together a good team, and guys like pete caroll and mike tomlin do that year after year after year for very long stretches and IMO that's the best you can really demand from your team. Getting a combo like bill bellichek + tom brady or andy reid + patrick mahomes for a decade is just incredible luck, something you can't plan for and is unrealistic to even hope for.

If you fire your pete carolls of the world because your routine playoff runs just don't go deep enough, you are far more likely to wind up regressing than finding the magic combo.

e. like I get the frustration, it's very human and normal, I just will kind of lol a lot if they actually fired pete caroll and then wound up with a situation resembling the last 30 years of cleveland browns football

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 25, 2023

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

EmbryoSteve posted:

The question is "do.you think its possible that the team will EVER win a superbowl with this coach moving forward"

It's not that I'm expecting a run every year but when I take a step back I do want to think its possible for the team to win a superbowl with that coach (with all the luck and stuff that obviously goes into that) for me to think the coach is a good fit for the team moving forward

And for me it's only been the last few years where I didn't believe that was possible with Pete.

Edit: but a 7 win floor for a team makes for fun seasons as a fan
I mean like he's literally done it before, ten years ago, and I get if you feel like he's declined to the point where it's impossible now. I guess I just think there's probably at any given time, maybe not more than... 12? coaches in the league I'd believe could win a SB, and most of those will never get the chance.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Devils advocate here because I just said Carroll is a good coach but he and Tomlin seem to both ne in that “post franchise QB zone” there they’re putting out 7-9 wins seasons and maybe squeaking into the playoffs due to an expanded field where they promptly get bounced in the wild card.

They’re good coaches putting together decent teams but for the last few years neither team has looked capable of going on a deep playoff run. The NFC is so dogshit right now that making the playoffs at all should be the minimum expected of a coach.

I think the evaluation of a coach shouldn't be this strictly results-oriented. A coach with a dogshit (or horribly injured) team can't make the playoffs. I think the minimum expected of a coach is to meet expectations, which is tautological but if you set reasonable expectations based on the players the coach is given, then you're OK, wheras if you obviously have talent and can't seem to win games, you're a bad coach.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 25, 2023

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ornery and Hornery posted:

*Every* team with a franchise quarterback should make the playoffs. 12 and now 14 teams make the playoffs. There usually aren’t that many franchise qbs in the league. Pete himself acknowledged that he would have been fired earlier in his tenure if he had not had Wilson.

I guess I have a bit of a different take. I think there's been quite a lot of QBs who could have been "a franchise quarterback" with the right coach, but never got that mix that made it work; and vise-versa, a lot of middling QBs who spent at least a few years as The Guy because they had a great coach. And of course a football team is a lot more than just a coach and a QB.

I think if you've literally won a superbowl, that matters. Yeah your QB bailed you out a bunch of times when you had a bad play call: I think that's probably a thing most coaches who have had a great QB have seen. Similarly great coaching (including play calling, time management, etc. during a game but also especially all the stuff that goes into building a staff, training players, game planning) can enormously elevate the on-field performance for players.

:shrug: I'm not trying to be a big contrarian or whatever, you guys have some good points about the specific points of failure for the seahawks. But I'd wager that you can look at every team that has ever lost a playoff game, and identify points of failure, for the coaches and the players.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I know I'm risking it by mentioning the forbidden thing in TFF, but: I started mostert in my fantasy football match, my opponent had achane on his bench, and I rightfully won a match I should have lost specifically because I believed in the run, and he lacked faith.

Believe In The Run.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Aiyuk... and also all the other receivers on the niners... are drat good at blocking. It's part of why the SF run game is so dominant. You might look at a Jauan Jennings and say he's just a guy, not a remarkable receiver at all, but I've seen him do some great blocking. I like what I'm seeing from Ronnie Bell but he's only gonna make it if he demonstrates he's committed to run blocking too. We'll see.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

establish the... block...?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

brock purdy more like block pretty

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hawks fans should be happy with a win but that was a messy game. Geno needed to calm the gently caress down about the dude who tackled him wrong, there was a lot of sloppy play and penalties, the team seems to be winning based on individual talent with some very talented players but I am not impressed with their ability to cleanly execute plays. A lot of the damage last night was done by the giants committing penalties and being poo poo, not by the seahawks being excellent.

There were some weird coaching decisions. Like right before the half, running six running plays and then letting the last 19 seconds tick down on a 3rd and 1 at the 32 yard line with two time outs left? Why did you run those plays, if you wanted to try for a score you could throw the ball or stop the clock, if you didn't you could just kneel out the last 40 seconds after one play. Or the turnover on downs on the first drive of the third quarter, they had 4th and 1 and the geno incomplete pass looked like a low-chance play, why would you not just run the ball there? Or take the field goal, you're on the NYG 15 yard line and the score is 14-3, a field goal is hardly meaningless here.

NYG then did a full field drive that looked pretty good, Witherspoons' interception and 97 yard TD changed the game but you can't count on that kind of play to happen and without it, Giants are likely closing to within 4 points and maintaining momentum. That was the play that kind of took the life out of them and after that it was just clowning on a defeated team.

Anyway a win's a win obviously but I would not be looking at that performance and predicting they'll win their next five games.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Cowboys/Lakers/Yankees.

The scum of the scum.

I hate the dodgers almost as much as the yankees. If it was 20 years ago it'd be the dodgers absolute top of the list. But yankees already second.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

The problem is those are the 3 worst fan bases of the main N. American sports.

Nobody hates LA as much as we northern Californians, lol

I didn't ever really pay enough attention to basketball to care about the Lakers though

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

A sixth for this edge guy and a seventh, plus the broncos pay his salary all year except for the vet minimum paid by SF, is a great deal for any JAG we might want, much less a guy that shanny thinks has potential.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

those dirty cheaters have like three extra footballs on the field, and also have pulled juice's left knee apart horribly :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I was busy so I only got to see the niners game which I recorded and that was not a fun game to watch. Especially hate injuries to key players.

It looked to me like maybe brock purdy had literally never handled a wet football. His accuracy was way down, and there was a lot of poor ball handling.

Also gently caress the refs. CJ totally fumbled that ball that was not a forward pass, they were ticky tacky with pass interference until they weren't, they were kinda trash in both directions until they literally decided the outcome of the game with bad calls on the last few plays. Just a real embarrassing showing for that squad.

palindrome posted:

Kicker salary is an interesting math problem to me. Do you pay a veteran 4M a year, or a rookie 1.3M a year? How badly do you want to make those kicks, and will the experienced guy outperform the rookie most of the time? Really hard to say since any given kick, can go any given way. And are those few millions better spent on the rest of the squad? I don't know, it's just starkly revealed in clinch games when the kicker shanks it. Maybe the coaches should drive for a touchdown if they don't have complete confidence in the kicking team, I dunno.

the niners have $40m in unused cap space this year so while your analysis is interesting from a broader perspective, there's just no excuse for letting Gould go. Maybe you worry about saving less than $3m a year if you're hard up against the cap.