Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
It is time for football

Let’s go Niners

Let’s get a fourth-string quarterback this time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
When we remember that year for the Cardinals, let’s not forget that it was all on tape for a national audience. The in-season Hard Knocks picked up in Week 10 and immediately saw them beat the Rams to get to 4-6 and maybe have some hope for the season…. and then every single week got darker and darker until the last few episodes were the grimmest poo poo on TV.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Unexpected, but certainly can’t complain. Bye, Trey.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
The Rams sold out to maximize their window with Stafford, and they won a Super Bowl. But yeah, in ‘21 they had no first-rounder, and in ‘22 they had no first- or second-rounder (and their third-rounder was the very end of the round), and in ‘23 they still had no first-rounder. On top of that, they’ve seemingly missed on a lot of the picks they’ve actually had. So yeah, it’s a rough roster outside of the stars.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

The Rams drafted 26 players between 2020, 2021, & 2022. 18 of those picks are still on the roster, so their drafts haven't been complete failures. A lack of first or second rounders certainly didn't help.

I was going off not recognizing any of the 2nd/3rd-rounders, but that’s probably unfair because I’m not sure why I would.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
gently caress YES

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Goddamnit

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

:respek:

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Not sure I’ve ever seen back to back Thursday games before

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
The most consequential moment in American team sports for society at large was the 49ers thrashing the Dolphins in Super Bowl XIX, which denied Dan Marino his best shot at being a champion and indirectly prevented him from being President during 9/11, when, because of CTE and poor impulse control, he would otherwise have commanded the use of nuclear weapons against Flight 93 “just in case”.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
There are a couple pretty churches in San Jose. Uh, that’s about it; they even ruined the river.

And Santa Clara specifically is a wasteland. (I get to spend a week there in a month, hooray.)

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
The Yankees didn’t even have the decency to have a losing season in their supposedly terrible year.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Goddamn this feels good

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Ugh

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I’m not going to SOSAR today, that’s a hard way to go out that’s not all on them

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Just gonna go watch TI.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I sure did enjoy watching TI instead of this crap

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I rewatched the Niners game, and I think the biggest takeaway is that our defense got bailed out of a pretty mediocre overall performance by a whole lotta flukey poo poo and terrible mistakes by the Jags. I mean, good on us to capitalize, and we don’t deserve zero credit for helping those mistakes along, but the corners are still our glaring weakness, and the Jags picked on them all night.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Yeah, Lenoir was the biggest problem for sure.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Yeah, way more stressful than it needed to be, but still a good win.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
rear end

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Manoueverable posted:

God it's really going to be Cowboys-Niners in the NFCCG isn't it?

We’ll see about the Cowboys over the next few weeks. They’re just now coming into the hardest part of their schedule — they’ve got @Bills, @Dolphins, Lions coming up — while the Eagles are past theirs; you’ve got to figure the Eagles are still favored to win the division.

Such a good week for the Niners. We’re all but locked in as division winners, and we’re in great position for the bye with the Eagles getting their third loss. That first quarter got me pretty worried, especially when Kittle looked like he might be hurt.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Well, if the Eagles would kindly lose another game, then we can afford to drop one against the Ravens and still get the bye. Go Seahawks

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
gently caress yes. Thank you, Seahawks friends.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I think this game is mostly just the Ravens being very good, but goddamn does this suck

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
In addition to being a very good football team overall, the Ravens are built to give teams like the Niners fits. On defense, they have a great line and (especially) LB core and enough discipline in the secondary to at least limit the damage our highly-opportunistic offense can do. On offense, they have a good QB with enough mobility to expose our secondary and put a lot of pressure on our LBs in coverage, which have jointly been the weakness of our defense for like fifteen years. In a different universe without all those Purdy INTs, some of which were flukey (but definitely not all, and regardless the Ravens did a great job of making them happen), maybe we have enough cushion to force Jackson into some mistakes and/or don’t get as worn out by the end. But yeah, this was a rough one, and mostly we have to hope we just don’t see them again.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
FedEx Field is a mess, but it was a mess decked out in Niners colors today. Good job, folks. The stadium crew should really just lean into it and play the Make Some Noise tracks on Commie possessions. Everybody stopped on the way out to cheer on the Eagles getting wrecked on the RedZone TVs.

Actual game wasn’t bad. OL held up well. Defense didn’t, but I think the Commies got a lot of assistance from swallowed flags.

Now please rest for two weeks.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Yeah, the Cards can knock the Seahawks out of the playoffs by winning. The Seahawks need that win and a Packers loss.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

That's a family tradition quote that him and John got from their father, Jack. It sounds like they're an awesome, close family.

It also used to be a cheer at Niners games, I assume at his request

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
The OL is definitely trying to block the DL! And the better the DL is, the less the OL will succeed at that, and the more tackles the DL will get instead of your LBs.

Nobody is saying it’s bad for linebackers or safeties to ever get tackles. They should be making tackles all the time, and like you said, the MLB usually leads in overall tackles. But the DL should also be taking away some opportunities for the LBs to make tackles, and if they’re doing that at a significantly lower rate than other teams’ DLs, then either your LBs play weirdly or your DL is not very good.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
There was a wonderful narrative arc to it. Dropping a little far back there… ooh, pressure, well surely he wouldn’t… oh my god he’s actually in the endzone… aaah he’s getting away… ha ha that’s gotta be grounding… yep, drop that flag.

IIRC it was even foreshadowed on like the previous play.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
I am dead. RIP me.

Holy loving poo poo

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Secondary was awful as ever. Defensive line didn’t get a whole lot done. Purdy missed a ton of passes. Receivers had a few bad drops. Run game got stuffed way too much. Special teams gave up a blocked kick and an eight yard return.

But we motherfucking won

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
The San Francisco Forty Niners

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Shindragon posted:

WE ARE GOING TO THE SUPERBOWL

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
The Niners do not have all-pros at every defensive position group. At safety, Hufanga is very good but not quite at that level (yet, I hope); more importantly, the corners are very much a weakness, and they have been for years. It’s largely opposite from the LoB, where the corners and safeties were the heart of the group, and then they also had some good LBs, but (IIRC) the DL was comparatively not that hot.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Papercut posted:

Hufonga was an all-pro last year, Ward was an all-pro this year, Warner is a multi-time all-pro, Bosa is a multi-time all-pro. They literally have all-pros at every defensive position group.

You’re right, I always forget about Ward because the drop-off after him is so huge.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Purdy’s salary for the last year was $870k. Piddling in NFL terms, but c’mon. Staying with a teammate is sensible, but mostly because it’s presumably not safe/considerate for him to live in a normal house in a random South Bay suburb, not because he couldn’t afford one.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
gently caress yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
drat, drat. Really good game. The Greenlaw injury hurt so much, but we were so close anyway.