Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Trey Lance sucks rear end, no two ways about it

The kicker will probably be fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Good post.

Gotta say I am really looking forward to Sunday as Niners fan, though.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

trilljester posted:

Niners wearing their home jerseys because it basically is a home game for them. Stafford on a silent count again lol

https://twitter.com/nwagoner/status/1702329858242818165

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Imagine naming your tiny little baby "Brock." What kind of person does that.

By 2030 it will be very popular to name your kid after NFL champion quarterback Brock Purdy

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Gonz posted:

The Cardinals are the living embodiment of "gently caress the Cowboys", seeing as how they're 7-1 against Dallas in their last 8 games played.

drat that's actually nuts.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

rjmccall posted:

Goddamn this feels good

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
When the run has been established

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Papercut posted:

Hufonga confirmed torn ACL

gently caress

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Lmao Kittle sharing some turkey with the crowd

Love to see it

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Lifespan posted:

I am currently stuck in an airport bar in San Diego and watching the Niners game and it is hilarious. I hoped to be a Seahawks fan grumbling along with a Rams or Chargers fan, but all the locals are just fair weathering the Niners and have no idea who is even on the team. SoCal sports fans are something else.

Their actual local team was stolen by LA, give them a break

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
https://twitter.com/fieldyates/status/1732788616563220487

https://twitter.com/RobbieGould09/status/1732782728133705904

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts/robbie-gould-nfl-football-retirement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5ul3rHuxfI

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Had Gould been willing to take a couple million less, he'd still be playing. But no one wanted to spend $5 million a year on a guy whose upper limit was 50 yards.

Probably shoulda just spent the $5m for one more year. The team is surprisingly cash rich this year anyway.

Obviously easier to say in hindsight.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
The important thing is one of the Eagles or Cowboys were thoroughly humiliated

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nervous posted:

The Geno contract was fine. Our boy earned it last year even if it was a flash in the pan.

The NFL is suddenly shockingly light on "quarterbacks who aren't an unspeakable embarrassment to everyone around them" and in that light paying Geno is fine

He's a very middle of the pack QB, and the right team can do really well with that

I think he's at least better than Jimmy fwiw

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

mllaneza posted:

Hufonga and Brown are more than adequate against the pass, especially with Wilks as DC to do the scheming. To my eye, both of them have stood out more often on pass plays than on run plays.

And here's a thumb on the scale for CMC as MVP. YTer is not wrong, putting Wagner on the ground is an amazing play that bought CMC about ten yards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NAlSB5YLiQ

I'd also watch a stiffarm compilation video, that might be one of the best of the season from any player.

CMC always finds a way to make poo poo happen. Sometimes it's anticipation, sometimes it's speed or strength, sometimes it's just guts. He's been amazing this season. Not sure what else he'd need to do to win MVP. Break the consecutive games with TD record outright rather than just tying it I guess.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Coldforge posted:

It should be Trent Williams.

Trent Williams embodies the heart of the sport and he is the actual biggest plus player at his position. Give him MVP. Just do it. What's gonna happen? Only good things.

Do it, cowards.

Trent Williams is 35 years old.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Javon Hargrave back at practice :hmmyes:

Arik Armstead still out :hmmno:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
looks like I won't get to watch a meaningful 49ers game until the 20th. drat this wretched 1-seed bye!!

guess I'll just go back to googling "Arik Armstead injury update" every day

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

I'm blown away by how much Purdy doesn't get the credit he deserves. I assume it's because he's Mr. Irrelevant, but using that as a reason not to appreciate what he's done the last two seasons is laziness and stupidity (mixed in with some jealousy). Yeah, he has talent around him, but he still is the guy running the show on the field.

He won't get credit for anything until he wins a SB, and that's pretty lovely.

I'm glad of it because I'm a sicko and want to see the hot take haters get brutally owned

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
I shouted a whole lot at the tv screen, mostly at Purdy and Thomas

Thank god the Packers matched our bed making GBS threads blow by blow

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

harperdc posted:

Why does Purdy have drat near 40 passing attempts in the pissing rain.

I thought we established the run in these parts.

We are behind therefore we must pass, beep boop

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Strong Sauce posted:

The narrative better be Brock Purdy led a game winning 71 yard td drive. Because that’s what happened

I'm glad of it. He had a real rough game overall but came through when it mattered.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

DariusLikewise posted:

Jared Goff is going to clown that 49ers defense.

Lol

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Ornery and Hornery posted:

You are hilariously Purdypilled, but I respect the dedication to posting.

When Jimmy G was with Shanahan he generally had elite league ~production~ in key areas.

Here are the seasons where Jimmy played more than 10 games; 2019, 2021, 2022.
  • Yards / attempt was 3rd, 2nd, 4th
  • The YAC/completion was 1st, 1st, 2nd (tie).
  • Completion percentage was 4th, 6th, 6th.
(Note that these rankings put Jimmy above some of the actual elite of the elite qbs)

Then Jimmy goes to LV in 2023 where, in the limited games he played, his completion percentage and y/a dropped to approximately 16th and 16th. His YAC/completion would be around 29th.

Because Jimmy G loving sucks.

Everyone who watched Jimmy G, with the niners and after the niners, recognized he sucks. But Shanahan and the surrounding offense created an environment where production thrives.

People aren’t blown away by Purdy because we’ve already seen elite niners offensive production, even when the niners had a bad QB and no CMC.

Now it is without question that Brock is a substantively better quarterback than Jimmy G. The fact that Brock has a decent appetite for, and decent success with, throwing deep alone makes him better than Jimmy G. But that doesn’t mean Brock is the most valuable player in the league.

I’m not even a Purdy hater, I’m a Shanahan, Deebo, Trent Williams, Kittle, and CMC appreciator. It is weird as heck that niners fans ITT are diminishing the extraordinary coaching and surrounding offensive talent.

P.S. CMC is really good and should have been MVP of our hearts. Lamar is absolutely MVP of the league.

The offense is so much better this year than during any of the Jimmy G years that it's almost incomparable. The offensive production was dogshit! The team absolutely relied on elite defense to win games, especially in the playoffs.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Ornery and Hornery posted:

There’s definitely some truth to that. Niners points per offensive play was the best in the nfl this year, 2023, with Brock Purdy.

Points per play in da Jimmy G Era:
  • 2019: 2nd best in nfl
  • 2021: 13th
  • 2022: 4th

Notably, Niners scored more points per play in 2019 (0.475) than in 2023 (0.473).

That 2019 team was amazing. The O-line was dominant, we ran all over everyone and Jimmy had all the time in the world. Would have won the Super Bowl if the talent gab between Jimmy and Mahomes wasn't the breadth of the Valles Marineris.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Coldforge posted:

That was the season Staley broke his leg and was out until the playoffs, McGlinchey was out for several games, and they were constantly juggling backups. :confused: The protection was middling at best without Staley there, they relied hugely on Jimmy's quick release for large stretches.

For sure though, Jimmy melting down at the end of the Super Bowl was the dagger :smith: Did Jimmy's rapid decline just wipe out everything he did in people's minds?

Probably most of what I remember best is from the playoffs. Jimmy always felt one-dimensional to me, even when he was at his best. Part of that was probably Shanahan keeping him on a pretty tight leash. Then as the injuries piled up he started to feel fragile as well, and he was never particularly great at handling pressure. I was done with him for a year or two before the team decided they were.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Also, there was nothing more doomed than the Jimmy G two minute drill. He was just never that kind of dynamic QB.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Coldforge posted:

I don't even know if 49er fans deserve a good QB anymore, jfc. If you're not a HoF QB, we don't want you, apparently.

I jumped on Team Brock after his first couple starts.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

DancingMachine posted:

I look forward to Purdy getting a 50MM apy contract in like 2026 and the Niners being mediocre for 5 years after. Until then it is nothing but suffering for the rest of us as he piles up great results on decent to above average play.
This weekend wasn't even average, he was straight up bad, but I will admit that's mostly the rain (and makes Love look even more amazing).

Love looked pretty bad! He was missing all over the place in the second half, then threw an int with the game on the line. The weather was definitely trouble for both of them.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

I think I might actually do a gimmick where I just recency bias every play. That guy sucks, he missed that pass. That guy is probably the best CB ever, did you see how he defended the pass? Oh wow, that punter sucks. I'm pretty sure this is twitter, already.

Yeah that's just what 90% of the posts in game day threads already look like anyway

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
just dropping this one here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS8PWXVFr6U

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

DancingMachine posted:

My favorite thing about the Purdy debate is that almost nothing that can possibly happen in the next 3 weeks is going to change anybody's mind. This is going to provide content for at least the next 3 years.

If the Niners win it all and Purdy looks great and puts up all-timer numbers he could win over as much as 5% of the anti-Purdy crowd.

Papercut posted:

Deebo officially removed from the injury report, will play Sunday :toot:

Yesssssss

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
It's incredible how Wilks turned a premier defensive team into a pile of horseshit over the course of a few short months. Every defensive player save for the LBs are three steps behind and wildly out of position on every single play. These corners make simple screens look like wizardry.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Papercut posted:

I still think they should fire Wilks tbh

Yeah lol

That was an abysmal defensive showing

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That was the most :goonsay: Niners draft ever.* Two first round picks and both spent on the O-Line. And drat if it didn't pay off.

* Late 00s TFF was, IIRC, obsessed with the idea that drafting linemen with the top picks was Smart Football.

It is.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
We have to go back (and draft our next Trent Williams).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

shirts and skins posted:

Dude probably has to commute in from Gilroy with his current salary

He's roommates with one of the other players iirc