Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm so, so sorry Cardinals fans. It's all my fault.

I'm hand waiving it as absurdist performance art and encourage any already insane Cardinal fans to join me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Lifespan posted:

And the Cards are baaaaaaaaad

The Cardinals are making a statement about what is or isn't a win in the NFL. It is provocative and decades ahead of its time, appreciated least of all by Caleb Williams

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

JPrime posted:

i watched the first half of the game and then switched to red zone for the second half what the hell happened

The Giants made one adjustment and the Cardinals stopped playing the defensive sets that worked in the first, their offense completely stopped moving because Dobbs was more or less figured out, and they sold out to stop the run

I knew at halftime, up 20, they'd blow it. I then watched the second half genuinely laughing my rear end off at this team. Gannon is either genuinely a genius that will last a second year and can completely blow this year or (this is much more likely) completely incapable of handling a second half adjustment

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

shyduck posted:

It's this, with an added over-reliance on soft zone coverage especially when leading.

He was the perfect guy for the moment if you're the front office and you wanted plausible deniability about tanking. I can't see him being around once Arizona drafts some shiny new offensive weapons

His first quarter scripts have been incredibly effective so far and then he seems completely unprepared for playing with a lead. I truly hope this was the Belichick Tree GM sacrificing a year to get real players on a roster basically nobody already in the union wants to play for

The team sucks too but that was clearly by design

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

indigi posted:

as someone who was told to stop complaining about the Eagles' second half performances last season: lol

Yeah he's exactly as bad as advertised. They're not going to curb stomp everyone in the first half.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

ESTABLISH THE loving RUN

gently caress the Cowboys

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Grozz Nuy posted:

josh dobbs is like. not bad. he should be the new fitzpatrick in terms of being just good enough to keep getting signed to teams that aren't happy with their starting qb but not good enough that whoever's employing him isn't trying to find someone better

also i can't believe i was concerned about how much they traded to get cmc. clearly i was not sufficiently respecting the run

Josh Dobbs is solid, he makes a lot of good throws and has enough mobility teams can't just sit in man every play against him. He's probably not as good as he's looked in these first four weeks where he's had help from the rushing attack. If the Cardinals can't run the ball I bet Dobbs looks like more of a wire pickup than he does right now.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

establish the... block...?

Blocking is fun when you establish the Run

Let linemen have fun. Ground and pound.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Nervous posted:

It's extremely telling. It usually takes receivers a bit to get a feel for the NFL game.

It takes a particularly special kind of rookie to be elite out the gates. I'm talking Randy Moss, Justin Jefferson, Chase, Boldin, and of course Michael Wilson :smuggo:

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Qwijib0 posted:

I really appreciate how realistic Gannon is making the tank look, really selling the falling apart after putting together decent first halves. Certainly can’t be the case he’s a coach that can’t adjust at halftime and go beyond the scripted start. All an act, clearly.

Dallas was just too lovely to lose to, I guess.

I will never be mad at the Cardinals for beating the cowboys. Either Gannon is a bad coach (it's this) or he's a multidimensional chess master (impossible, he voluntarily took the Cardinals HC job)

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Mustached Demon posted:

The British famously did not keep the ball on the ground and Paul Revere knew it.

The British are running! The British are running!

- Paul Revere, DC (1776-1818)

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

I for one would very much like to watch Kyle Shannahan turn Sam Darnold into virtually the same QB as Purdy after an entire career of being completely mid

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Benne posted:

Statistically Sam Darnold is one of the very worst QBs of the 21st Century. "Mid" would be a massive improvement for him.

He has comparable stats to Mark Sanchez which I find pretty amusing.

Very worst QBs of the 21st century is pushing it when Kyle Boller, Ryan Lindley, Josh Rosen, Johnny Manziel, Brody Quoyle, Jimmy Clausen all played offensively bad football.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

seiferguy posted:

Pungry didn't post this here so I'm beating him to it

https://twitter.com/TariqIsland/status/1717301401481810360

Owns lol

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

EmbryoSteve posted:

"Hall of 5 years of good play" maybe.

that's one 1st round rookie contract worth of play

Terrel Davis is in the HoF now. So this qualifies.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Are the cards keeping Murray - assuming they get #2 overall?

The GM dislikes him, the owner loving hates him, and Gannon seems to want to defend him. I think Murray wears a Steelers uni next year and the Cardinals get Maye.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Why does the GM dislike Mr Murray?

Patriot Way guy hates Ego Cases

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

F1? No thanks, I'll take the bus :smuggo:

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Lifespan posted:

If you mean they always have a big injury on that garbage rear end field, definitely.

I dunno sounds like the Seahawks need the fire in their gut to not injure themselves on artificial turf. Feels like a skill issue :smuggo:

I hate that stupid turf

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Canned Sunshine posted:

Cardinals at least are looking promising.

You sure about that? The defense is real bad and the offense looks pretty in flux.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Did some Cardinals face consequences? Or are they leaving the sunk ship?

This team is pretty depressing and I hope they become less of a misery factory to work for. I know better than to expect a goddamn thing on the field (other than injuries)

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Canned Sunshine posted:

The 49ers need to jettison Wilks; I know he used to have a lot of high esteem, but I’m starting to see why the Cardinals jettisoned him after a year (although I’m sure in reality the Cardinals just wanted the flashy white offensive guy instead of the black HC that just had a really bad season).

Of all the things to oversimplify why'd you pick a coach firing that resulted in court documents and ESPN think pieces

Wilks had a roster that was old bad and injured. He had a QB room worse than he had as interim HC in Carolina

The AZ Cardinals are a toxic cesspool, even more so when Wilks was working under Kiem. Do not assume that the Cardinals of that era were acting in good faith.

Wilks has been a good defensive coach in multiple junctures and the 49ers held the KC offense for most of the game without safeties lol

E:
Steve Wilks instructed to use burner phone to circumvent a league suspension

The Cardinals suck to work for

Forrest on Fire fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 12, 2024

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Canned Sunshine posted:

I 100% agree that the Cardinals are a lovely cesspool to work for, but Wilks was a good defensive coach at Carolina at a time when they had some historic playmakers on both sides of the ball, including Cam Newton; he got plucked by the Cardinals to be HC and had a horrible roster but still made a number of really bad game-time decisions as a first year coach, which were understandable since he was a rookie HC, but that then added the fuel to the fire that was said cesspool to allow them to jettison him for the white flashy coach, as I said, because Michael Bidwill is a racist piece of poo poo.

However, did you not see how Wilks had the DBs playing so soft last night in the 4th quarter, that they were effectively behind the 1st down line to reach on multiple plays, when trying to prevent KC from getting down the field, to the point that Shanahan had to burn a timeout to override Wilks’ call because of how bad it was getting.

I’m not saying he’s a bad DC, but he’s no DeMarco Ryans at this point.

I just don't see why he should be fired. If he gets fired he will get another job fairly quickly. The take feels extremely reactive, and Wilks is probably going to end up with another HC gig in the next few seasons.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

The replacement would almost have to be an internal hire and a bet on the already thinned out SF defensive coaching staff. I think Wilks has flaws as a coordinator, but I don't think you want the field against him. Injuries in the secondary may have influenced his play calling.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Welp time to fire Shannahan because the 49ers just can't trust his word. Might as well re hire Chip Kelly so the 49ers can return to the basement.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

As the market for Fields continues to drop, my desire for seattle to trade a couple late round picks for Fields rises…

How much of the Seattle offense relies on structure? If the Seahawks simply recommitted to The Run, this would be a perfect fit for Fields.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

:getin:

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Leperflesh posted:

gently caress baseball let's play foodball all year imo

i mean not me, those guys. the football men

actually there is summer football already isn't there

https://fbschedules.com/2024-ufl-schedule/
gosh week 4 already

Baseball rules and everyone who doesn't like modern baseball should watch the electric group of people who look like they're late for their shift at pep boys in the Arizona Diamondbacks.

The Diamondbacks know that the Run is more important than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

rjmccall posted:

Cards once again have a great WR to waste

I hope they take more WRs.