Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

DeimosRising posted:

I liked lance so I’m sad the went to the cowboys and i have to hate him now. Buts it’s true: he’s a jerk and a bust

He was fast and strong and unlucky. I wish him the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Hawks are likely not gonna do nearly as well as people think this year, unfortunately.

DL is probably worse this year than last year unless Tre out performs his contract. Even with Bobby back and a hopefully healthy Adams, best case for the run defense seems to be “okay”. More likely it will be bad again.

Even if we assume the team has improved talent from last year, their schedule this year is much tougher.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

DancingMachine posted:

Yeah it's very hard to see how Seattle is better this year and a lot of reasons they might be worse. The offense fell off a cliff in the second half of the season which smells like tape/opposing coaches adjusting, so I wouldn't expect a replay of the fireworks from early last year. And the defensive line is arguably even worse than last year's terrible unit.
We can hope having 3 receiving options and a year of experience for 2 rookie OL will change things for the better I guess. Would love to be pleasantly surprised.

Yeah and imo one of the biggest contributors to offensive struggles for seattle was the poopy IOL. Given how bad they were last year it seems like, technically, the IOL has to be better than last year. But they will probably still be bad, overall.

Front offices are so stupid. QB and OL matter more than anything else, perhaps get good OL players???

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I’m so hyped to watch Steve Avila the guard do many cool things.

He so thicc and powerful and I love him.

Ornery and Hornery fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 28, 2023

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Love the name, wish it was “burn” though. Nothing in life is perfect.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Seahawks are probably still bad. Even if we assume three of their top four picks (2 firsts and 2 seconds) are immediately good starters, hawks are probably not great. And I mean actually good and not just “good for rookies”.

If the rookies are good the hawks still need Wagner to be good, Adams to be healthy, and at least one of the IOL acquisitions to be serviceable.

The IOL and DL are in such dire straights that any of the big dog nfc teams are gonna rough up seattle :(

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Play posted:

The Seahawks have drafted the last two years like anyone should want their team to. Just knocking it out of the park, getting high talent at good spots. And drafting players who I personally was very high on. That's why I think they'll be better than last year, I think they've gotten more talented on both sides of the ball. Whether Geno can keep playing well is another issue, I'm not too sure about that.

We don’t know to if this year’s draft will be as good as last year’s draft. Even though I also like both their first round picks on paper.

We have a decade of data on PCJS drafts and talent evaluation. More often than not they have bad drafts.

The roster has a serious lack of competency - the hawks need this draft to be another slam dunk before they even enter the conversation of being a good team.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

mllaneza posted:

Speaking of the Niners and trades, apparently we've got $40 mil cap space after signing Bosa.

Niners should trade for Mike Evans. I don’t care that they don’t need another WR. Get more star power. More!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Atlanta threw the ball just 18 times.

Get them into the NFCW asap.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Great post, lol love it

Papercut posted:

That post owns, take that victory lap OP

100% agree

Please note that THIS Seahawks goon recognized that the team was not gonna be good :smug:

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Quote me, Darius, I foresee the future

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Play posted:

Some of it can be a bit boring, I would rather have him cover more plays than spend so much time on each one, but it's good stuff.

This and promoting his patreon are the only parts I don’t like but otherwise it’s pretty good

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Seems to be getting better though - more LA fans are blossoming

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Schwack posted:

This, but for Seahawks games. I'm down to sell em at cost to... do we still say goons? I'm going to the Cardinals game in October, but the rest are wide open. The Thanksgiving game ticket prices made my eyeballs fall out of my head though so idk about that one.

What does at cost mean? We talking thousands of dollars?

Because heck yeah this goon would love to go to a Seahawks game or two :)

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

EmbryoSteve posted:

Andy Dalton had 361 yards passing and I think this game is a lot closer if the panthers didn't false start 8 times lmao. Regardless, go hawks

Agreed. Win is a win but this game lowered my confidence in seattle doing anything. My fear is that they end up in the doldrums of “average” teams around 9 wins.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Lifespan posted:

Witherspoon looked great. I am not convinced he is at Woolen's level yet, but if the both of them are healthy and click together with Diggs and Adams (if he ever plays again), that could be a crazy secondary.

Woolen had a strong case of being the second best defensive player from his draft class last year. He was incredible.

Spoon is not even close to that level yet!!! He did a good job against a bad Panthers WR corp.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Inshallah they lose enough that PCJS get fired.

OC from Detroit is looking like a fine next Seattle Head Coach

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

DancingMachine posted:

I'm still riding with PCJS until they die. Way more good than bad with those two IMO. Winning consistently is really hard.

Sure PCJS have had more good than bad in terms of regular season W-L but not in terms of process or playoff production.

They had a historically good defense which was based on unbelievable talent rather than strategic scheming, they had a very good franchise quarterback, and enjoyed a relatively weak division for the majority of their time here. With all of that the majority of their work has been early playoff exits where they were clearly out talented and out coaches (that Dallas game in particular was brutal).

Even when the division was supposed to be good you’d have a classic niners year of injuries to soften things for Seattle.

Hilariously, when Seattle ships out their declining franchise QB, they get to transition to Geno Smith who is playing at a franchise quarterback level.

We have over a decade of data at this point and it’s clear that they are bad at trades, they are bad at drafts, they are bad at free agency, and they are bad at coaching (outside of our OC).

Their main contributions to early Seahawks success are no longer unique to Pete. Such novel concepts as “treat players as professional adult coworkers rather than pieces of poo poo” and “maybe not every player needs to have the precise identical skill sets and body dimensions” are now widely adopted by the good coaches in the league.

PCJS aren’t the worse in the league, and I will always love them for their work in setting up the first ring in franchise history, but it’s time to move on.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

feller posted:

Can't wait until the seahawks fire pete and hire their very own tomsula

Tom farted at the podium he’s legend

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

feller posted:

Also, he just did this https://twitter.com/KNBR/status/1706360777903575471?t=27Q1u5HxIHFwJUKd91qeLg&s=19

Which is very cool and I'm happy for him

Omg he looks so happy :3:

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Peachfart posted:

Someone doesn't remember the coaches we had before Pete.

Holmgren was a great coach. TR was not an ideal GM.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Leperflesh posted:

I mean like he's literally done it before, ten years ago, and I get if you feel like he's declined to the point where it's impossible now. I guess I just think there's probably at any given time, maybe not more than... 12? coaches in the league I'd believe could win a SB, and most of those will never get the chance.

Okay so all Pete needs is; 3 hall of fame defensive players, in their prime, on rookie deals; 2 hall of very good defensive players, in their prime, on rookie deals; a hall of very good franchise quarterback on a third round rookie deal; and the offenses around the league to go back to a style which gets thumped by cover-3.

Other coaches have won super bowls with substantively less talent.

And I’m not even grading Pete just on “ringz”. The playoff performance has been dreadful when taking talent into consideration. He gets routinely out coached and frustratingly a lot of the errors are self-inflicted from conscious decisions.

I’m not impressed that he managed to get to the playoffs a bunch in a historically weak division when he had Russell Wilson.

*Every* team with a franchise quarterback should make the playoffs. 12 and now 14 teams make the playoffs. There usually aren’t that many franchise qbs in the league. Pete himself acknowledged that he would have been fired earlier in his tenure if he had not had Wilson.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

quote:

The Seattle Seahawks coach admitted following Monday night's woeful offensive performance in 13-10 loss to the New Orleans Saints that he probably wouldn't have lasted into his 12th season with the club if it weren't for Russell Wilson.
"Let's say it this way: I've been here a long time, and if we didn't have Russell, I probably wouldn't have been here a long time," Carroll said when asked about how much Seattle misses Wilson. "Because of all, think of all the magic that he's created in the years. He's got numbers and stats and fourth-quarter thises and thats, and all that stuff. One of the winningest quarterbacks in the history of the NFL…”

https://www.nfl.com/news/seahawks-coach-pete-carroll-i-probably-wouldn-t-have-been-here-a-long-time-witho

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Give me Ben Johnson at HC and at GM give me the TFF goon hive mind.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

OGS-Remix posted:

If a coach can consistently get to the playoffs, that's probably the best you can reasonably expect unless you have a Mahomes.

Any team with a franchise qb should consistently get to the playoffs. If they don’t, then the coach is garbage.

Although in the coming years maybe that’s not the case for the AFC because they keep adding all the young premier QB draft prospects lol

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I’m also hornery for a GM who drafts OL. Give me the big boys.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

Zach Thomas shouldn't have been anywhere near the field tonight. Noteboom should have replaced Jackson at LT, then let Anchrum fill in for Noteboom at RG for the entire game.

I'm aware there's other issues, but the OL needed more help than it was getting tonight.

How has Steve Avila looked so far? I wanted the hawks to draft him and some of podcasts have praised his games with the rams so far.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

The most important skill for a WR is their ability to block.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Spoon 😍

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

shirts and skins posted:

sportsfan.txt

he's what, the 4th receiving option after DK, Lockett, and Fant? give the guy some time and opportunity. I think he's more a "next year" investment.

JSN was a highly acclaimed prospect and productive college player. Part of his appeal was that he was a “pro ready” prospect.

All offseason the Seahawks podcast/Twitter sphere kept hyping JSN and talking about how he’s gonna take the offense to the next level. JSN went to a team where the entire discourse was that the hawks were missing a reliable third weapon.

Two of the three teams that Seattle has beaten so far are candidates for among the worst teams in the league.

All of that combined makes the fact that JSN is getting outdone by Fant even more alarming.

Yeah, it’s only week 5 of his first season, but with the data we have so far it’s not looking good.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Leperflesh posted:

Hawks fans should be happy with a win but that was a messy game.

A lot of the damage last night was done by the giants committing penalties and being poo poo, not by the seahawks being excellent.

Anyway a win's a win obviously but I would not be looking at that performance and predicting they'll win their next five games.

Yeah. Seahawks are 3-1 but they’ve played some terrible teams and overall the looks kind of lovely. Seems like the worst case scenario might come true where they win around 7 games.

They keep winning but none of the games inspire confidence.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Waltzing Along posted:

Speaking as a seahawks hater, they look like the worst 3+ win team in the league. A lot of the 2 win teams look better, as well.

Agreed.

Biggest shame so far is Adams. I hope that scrappy hard hitting safety linebacker hybrid gets to stay healthy!!!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Niners staff are powerful at getting the most out of their DL

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Should CMC even be playing in the fourth quarter? Experts say: maybe

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I'm not a fan of an NFC West team but I thought of you guys when I saw this:

god bless america

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I would like to give an honorary tip of the cap to Arizona Running Back James Conner. I feel like he never gets the national recognition he deserves. He's not an all-star, but he's a reliable workman. I appreciate his resolve and production.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

shirts and skins posted:

It's clear the Hawks have a ton of talent but they make so many dumb mistakes at the worst times. How many big plays or critical stops have been wiped out by penalties the last two weeks? Strange season.

I’m not sure they are all that talented.

Who is elite AND young-ish?

Lockett is incredible but he’s getting to an age when wrs drop off. Wagner is definitely showing his age. Adams can’t stay healthy.

So that leaves basically what? DK, K9, and hopefully Riq, Devon, and Charles Cross. Throw in Lucas and Bradford if you want to be optimistic. Who else seems like they could be an actual plus-plus contributor?

They need to somehow get a talented enough roster, in one offseason, to win it all with Geno in 2024. Or they need to try and get a franchise QB… which will be tough when they end up with a draft pick in the high teens or low twenties.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Stop kicking it and always score

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

shirts and skins posted:

wow, you're right, when you add in qualifiers I didn't use that rule out half the team and then talk about a few individual players in an incredulous tone it doesn't sound all that good huh

The qualifiers were essentially “who is likely to be a meaningful playoff contributor over the next season or two”.

Post your list. Who is talented on the Seahawks?

The main reason people think they are good and on an upswing is because they played a super soft schedule last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Benne posted:

Kenneth Walker
DK Metcalf
Jaxon Smith-Njigba
Tyler Lockett
Charles Cross
Abe Lucas
Damien Lewis
Uchenna Nwosu (unfortunately dead this year)
Boye Mafe
Dre'Mont Jones
Jordyn Brooks
Riq Woolen
Devon Witherspoon
Coby Bryant
Tre Brown
Quandre Diggs
Jamal Adams
Michael Dickson

If you want to be generous you can throw in Zach Charbonnet (has the look of a future RB1), DeeJay Dallas (has quietly developed into a very good returner), and I only didn't include Geno/Bobby/Jarran Reed since they're on the older side.

This is a good team. I don't know why that's a controversial take. They're good, and young, and have every chance to get better as the season goes along. I'm way higher on their future than I was a couple years ago.

I don’t know what to say to this except we clearly have different criteria for our analysis. Gotta agree to disagree.

It is pretty neat seeing JSN and Bobo pick it up a bit! The WR corp could have great top end talent and good depth, which would be novel and valuable.