Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

If he's anything like everyone else who's done this, it's mostly "gently caress training camp, I'm not doing this poo poo again."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

MakaVillian posted:

Not super surprising but poor Lance
https://theathletic.com/4798047/2023/08/22/49ers-backup-quarterback-lance-darnold/
code:
SANTA CLARA, Calif. — Kyle Shanahan said the competition between Trey Lance and Sam Darnold to be the San Francisco 49ers’ No. 2 quarterback could continue during the regular season.

Shanahan said he’d likely announce the pecking order prior to the team’s Week 1 game in Pittsburgh. After all, the so-called “third quarterback” rule allows teams to dress three passers on game days but they still have to designate which are the first two.

But he also indicated the quarterback order “definitely” could change during the season and that Darnold could run the scout team one week — which is typically the purview of the No. 2 quarterback — and Lance could run it in the next.

Scout-team duty proved to be an excellent way for Brock Purdy to prepare himself for the speed of an NFL game. The 49ers defensive players last season raved about how aggressive Purdy was in practices and how he gave them opportunities to make plays on the ball. Some young quarterbacks try to be careful in those situations. Purdy didn’t, and in testing the defense he not only sharpened that unit but also figured out his own limits.

“If you don’t build those scars up, how would you know where not to throw the ball?” defensive back Jimmie Ward, now with the Houston Texans, said last year. “How would you trust yourself? How would you build your confidence if you don’t go through the right steps?”

49ers defenders didn't have to urge Brock Purdy to take more chances in practice

In that way, running the scout team would seem to be a bigger benefit for Lance than Darnold. Lance, after all, only has attempted 102 passes in the regular season and needs all the repetitions he can get. Darnold has attempted 1,765 passes.

Shanahan, however, said the defense takes precedence in that scenario. Whichever quarterback provides the best facsimile of San Francisco’s upcoming opponent will be tapped for duty that week.

“This is the NFL,” Shanahan said. “So you think about how to get your team ready to win that week and most of that has to do with who’s best for our defense, who gets them the right look and prepares our team the best way for what they’re about to face on Sunday. And after that, you try to get everyone reps because you only get better with reps.”

Shanahan, who spoke before Tuesday’s practice, said he hadn’t decided how he’ll allocate the quarterback snaps in Friday’s preseason finale against the Los Angeles Chargers. If it follows the pattern established in the first two games, Lance will enter the game ahead of Darnold. If Darnold enters first, it could hint at what Shanahan’s No. 2 quarterback announcement will be before the Pittsburgh Steelers game.

One thing that seems clear is that Purdy and the starting group will play more than the one series they had Saturday against the Denver Broncos.
Brock Purdy and the 49ers’ starting offense are likely to see more action than the one series they played last week. (Kyle Terada / USA Today)

“It looks like we’ll be getting a decent amount of snaps on Friday,” center Jake Brendel said.

Brendel also noted that the Chargers use a 3-4 defense that’s similar, at least in structure, to what the 49ers will face in Pittsburgh. The 49ers defense he faces every day in practice uses a four-man front.

“Anytime we can see a different defense, a different structure of the secondary, different linebackers on the second level — those are all reps we should be banking going into the regular season,” Brendel said.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Honestly shocked. Good luck, Lance.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Per Maiocco, 49ers release/waive list:
Austin Bryant
Chris Conley
Troy Fumagalli
Brian Hill
Kerry Hyder Jr.
T.Y. McGill
Jeremy McNichols
Anthony Miller
Willie Snead IV
Alex Barrett
Jack Colletto
Marlon Davidson
Joey Fisher
Alfredo Gutierrez
Myles Hartsfield
Keith Ismael
D’Shawn Jamison
Qwuantrezz Knight
Corey Luciano
Ilm Manning
Tay Martin
Marcelino McCrary-Ball
Jason Poe
Curtis Robinson
Tre Swilling
Leroy Watson
Isaiah Winstead

Hyder and Bryant are expected to be resigned.

https://twitter.com/MaioccoNBCS/status/1696630816997285964

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 29, 2023

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
https://twitter.com/MaioccoNBCS/status/1696928342073569553

Cardinals :argh:

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
49ers have cleared forty million in cap space for the year, over the past few days. Getting ready for a big trade? Maybe a decent right tackle?

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

I hear there are doubters.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
https://www.nbcsportsbayarea.com/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/john-lynch-salary-cap-space/1656252/

quote:

“Really, we always look at the cap for three years out,” he said. “Obviously, we have all that room this year. But really it’s to create room for future years because we roll everything over. It helps us in future years because it creates some room we’re going to need.”

Restructure contracts in the current year to create future cap space? This is some twistedly brilliant bullshitting of the cap rules.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Spoeank posted:

Brock's brother Chubba plays for Nebraska, the Purdys are on another level namewise

It's a nickname, but don't worry, your point still stands.

His real name is Preston

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Papercut posted:

This is the advantage of having your TNF game so early in the season, you might get your injured stars back in time for the playoffs!

Luckily they have a second TNF game on Thanksgiving, so they can get injured again in time for the playoffs.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Hey, hey, he can leave her once she is pregnant with their child. Then later on, kiss his children on the lips. He is still young, he has time.

QBs ditching their boring SO for an upgrade once they have NFL success is the NFC West way, it's true.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Leperflesh posted:

I think Purdy needs to work on accuracy a bit. He did have some very nice throws, but also a couple that could have been intercepted and a handful that were just off target, including a couple that receivers stretched and caught anyway to bail him out a bit.

Guy did just have some major elbow surgery!

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

If Shanny doesn't finally win it all this season, it's time to bring back the only championship winning coach we've seen recently: Jim Tomsula.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Not really NFC West related anymore, but watching Broncos vs Jets and not being able to tell which Wilson is the worse QB at this point, is a moment of pure joy in my life.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Rad Valtar posted:

I'm going to be interested to see what Defense slows down the Niners offense because I don't know how you do it.

Eagles and Niners game was always destined to answer this question, although I think it comes down to which team is healthiest in December.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Manoueverable posted:

The Eagles are the only reason why I didn't put this down. But for all the poo poo talking about how poo poo the NFC is I don't see an AFC team that can match the Niners, not with the Bills losing the way they have right after blowing out the Dolphins.

But then again I've said "just hand the Packers the Lombardi now" in years past and look what happened there.

The "AFC is good, NFC is bad" crowd looks pretty dumb every week the teams actually play.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I would just like to say, apropos of nothing, how great it is to to see Richard Sherman wearing 49ers colors every chance he gets.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Strong Sauce posted:

Watched Stephen A. Smith gloating on air while wearing a Cowboys uniform. Then doing that whole Cowboy tip hat thing had me in tears. He is so happy from them losing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIBK8cfyt38

Also fun.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I was curious about something and found a good laugh, thanks EA

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Bask in the awfulness

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VA9sLlFR3V8

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Shindragon posted:

oh… oh… time to whip out the vodka

I hope you brought enough for everyone

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

shirts and skins posted:

gosh, niners fans really are in full lostseason.txt

I'm gonna enjoy this before they wipe the floor with us twice in three weeks

We got too close to the sun after that Cowboys game, and now we’re suffering the consequence of our hubris.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

seiferguy posted:

Shanahan seems to have an issue when star players are hurt (either they're out or on the field & dealing with something nagging), he cannot adjust to work without it. Like Purdy is clearly not 100%, and without Deebo he's just all over the place.

When everyone is good, he's on fire, but it is the NFL and you gotta adjust better for injuries.

Nah. We're seeing several things that have little (directly) to do with Shanny. Along with Purdy being young and still dealing with elbow recovery, this is partially what happens to all teams that depend on a patchwork and mediocre offensive line, and partially what happens to all teams that depend on a DC who thinks it's still 2003.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Mustached Demon posted:

Can he call defensive plays without blatantly obvious coverage?

I live in hope that Fred Warner just starts ignoring his headset.

Let Fred Cook.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Papercut posted:

he doesn't trust Oliver

Very understandable.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

MakaVillian posted:

:hmmyes:

Great game in all 3 phases, especially the 2nd half. Run defence was exceptional, Hargrave showed up big time and wow Chase Young was as advertised.

Rolling over that 40 million in cap space to next season is looking like an act of genius.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

rjmccall posted:

I rewatched the Niners game, and I think the biggest takeaway is that our defense got bailed out of a pretty mediocre overall performance by a whole lotta flukey poo poo and terrible mistakes by the Jags. I mean, good on us to capitalize, and we don’t deserve zero credit for helping those mistakes along, but the corners are still our glaring weakness, and the Jags picked on them all night.

The Jags mostly picked on Lenoir all night.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
If anyone wants a Trey Lance 49ers jersey, they're going for ~2x:10bux: on NFL Shop.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

trilljester posted:

Howdy fellow Goon Faithful, how are we feeling about the Bucs this Sunday? I haven't watched a lot of their games but have seen them on RedZone a bunch. I'm feeling a lot better after last Sunday, and the Niners are back home, so overall I'm feeling good.

Baker Mayfield has played against the 49ers twice, and has thrown 3 INTs (and 0 TDs) in those two games. I'm optimistic.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

seiferguy posted:

I remember seeing Russell Wilson Seahawks jerseys going for $15 last year at TJ Maxx lol

Good to know Russell Wilson and Trey Lance are both valued the same by their respective former franchises :hmmyes:

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Unrelated: if Arizona ends up with like the 5th overall pick, do they still go QB?

Murray freaking owns, folks

The new Call of Duty sounds like it's absolute garbage, too, so his arrow is definitely up!

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Manoueverable posted:

Every facet of the Seahawks is absolutely terrible from coordinators to every position group on the field. Hurtt is an awful DC for the amount of talent we have, Waldron can't scheme guys open for poo poo, our star players don't perform at all except Bobby Wagner, it's just all absolute poo poo. I loving hate watching this team.

:bisonyes:

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

SAME...

drat it, it just doesn't work. :(

They just lost to the Rams, too, so allow it.

SORRY

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

I don't think keeping a (currently) mediocre coach because the next hire might be worse is necessarily the right move.

For sure, you should have faith in the notably experienced and savvy Seattle Seahawks owner *checks notes*, The Paul Allen Trust???, to successfully guide a new hiring process.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Leperflesh posted:

is that some kind of football invocation of the gambler's fallacy?

It's a 49er fan getting worked up with anxiety over the next game :allears:

Eagles did not impress tonight, but they're unquestionably a good team. We'll see what happens!

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Mustached Demon posted:

I, for one, will be rooting for the Seahawks. Because gently caress the cowboys.

Meteors are still an option.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I swear there was too much game cluttering up the penalty calls tonight. Keep your "football" to yourselves, Seattle, I'm here to watch flags fly :argh:

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

EmbryoSteve posted:

Though this year's hawks are going no where and I'm a tiny bit relieved that bc they didn't win people can't go "see they've turned it around!!!" By people I mostly mean local sports media. It would have been real fun to beat the Cowboys but the defense continues to be rear end

Otoh now we get to listen to the national media proclaim Dak as MVP for another week, because he threw some passes against a bad defense again :tif:

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Papercut posted:

Good, this will make the inevitable playoff collapse all the more entertaining

How many years in a row can this provide fresh amusement? I mean, sure, it hasn't gotten boring yet, but sooner or later things will get stale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
Clearly I stand corrected. Carry on, Cowboys.