Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Watched Stephen A. Smith gloating on air while wearing a Cowboys uniform. Then doing that whole Cowboy tip hat thing had me in tears. He is so happy from them losing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

i honestly wish i had posted some of my comments i left unposted because i was going to say that the biggest issue with jimmy g besides his hesitancy and getting sacked was that most teams started keying on passes over the middle when playing against the 49ers. they would also disguise defenses where jimmy's first response was to just dump it off and let someone else deal with it. oh it looked like 1 high and they went to cover 2 shell? guess i gotta dump it off. 2-shell into robber? dump.

there were a bunch of film videos talking about how when the 49ers ran their dagger concepts with jimmy g the defenders would never respect him throwing a corner route instead. the defenders would constantly sag inwards anticipating those dig/in routes when they were suppose to be responsible for the deep half/third of the field. they'd just sit on the in routes instead because no way were the 49ers ever going to do anything else with jimmy g. the defenders would never set their shoulders/hips to run up the sideline because why worry?

edit: but to be fair, jimmy was pretty good at throwing those balls. he just didn't have much of anything else

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 13, 2023

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

watching on foxsports online and it cut and reset my video player right before the snap and refreshed right as everyone in cleveland celebrated. lmao thanks foxsports.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Papercut posted:

He straight up shanked it
yeah they showed the replay just seems like he didn't get it to hook

Play posted:

drat, that one sucked. Lots of really terrible ref bullshit, Moody misses two kicks, but the whole offense played terribly. Hopefully a good lesson for them

yeah just bad calls all around. gonna have to say shanahan really shanahaned there by giving the browns plenty of time to get that last field goal though. 3 straight passes to eat up zero clock.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Shindragon posted:

He was the OC when Altlanta was up 28-3 right? Cuz if so felt very goddamn similar why he was starting to act stupid.

yes.

apparently jim scwhartz has shanahan's number though. i just saw some stat where he's 9-1 against him

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Shindragon posted:

Eagle fans.

they seem to have quieted down.. wonder why...

MakaVillian posted:

The guy who moderated the Inside the 49ers blog for the Santa Ross Press Democrat was fired yesterday because it came to light that he groomed a 17 year old student 18 years ago (he was 31 at the time) when he was a teacher. Sadly predictably a bunch of posters on there are calling this woke nonsense/virtue signalling. This was the blog where Grant Cohn got his start so sadly I'm not surprised by the quality of people that frequent it.

took me a minute to figure out i was thinking of grant wahl not.. whoever this dude is

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

i stopped following after the 2nd half and sat down to watch the highlights on the NFL youtube page and grew very concerned. first at the INT, then that catch by Smith-Njigba. at least it only ended up being a field goal. but 49ers really let seattle have a chance to claw its way back. could easily have been a 4-pt game if not for the missed field goal and non-conversion of that long drive.

49ers d-line was just too good though. made a lot of key stops including the sack that stopped that drive

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

they need to eat some humble pie like mike mccarthy and start copying plays from the 49ers.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

you think youtube would give nfl videos some kind of priority in getting them processed for 1080p, i've been waiting 2 hours for their highlights clips to have the HD version but its still at 360p. its weird because the 49ers channel already has their highlights and its already up in HD.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

Youtube randomly recommended the 2012 NFCCG to me. I watched bits and pieces and came away with a few thoughts:
So I guess YouTube algorithm is showing people who watched an NFL highlight old football matches that people have taken off a VHS and use some fancy AI poo poo to stabilize/colorize the footage. Because yeah I got one...

It really is amazing seeing how much the NFL has changed, from the type of hits you can use to how badly the offenses are. The one they showed me was 49ers vs Rams from 1972. The 49ers QB is STEVE SPURRIER.

Obviously if you incentivize people to be able to throw an ovoid-shaped ball, people are only going to get better at it but watching some of the throws... they are literally missing swing passes with no one in their face. It's no wonder the running game was so viable, since no one could throw worth a drat in the 60s/70s.

But even the running game feels so different. Like they're handing it off without any kind of run up. The center hikes the ball to the quarterback (NO SHOTGUN OBV) who immediately hands it off to the running back because he's right behind the QB maybe 3 yards off.

Also everyone is in a 3-point stance, even the receivers. I know even as late as the 80s receivers did this but it's funny to see. They all also have butterfinger hands.. either that or just no stickum back then.

Then the kicking.. I know the whole soccer style kicking revolutionized the kicking game but watching the old school way of doing it.. which was for the kicker to line up maybe 2 yards directly behind the holder, take one step, and trying to kick a point after (and just completely whiffing) is pretty funny.

Nevermind the camera work, in probably the best deep pass I've watched so far, roman gabriel chucks a huge goose-eggy throw that you think is going to get intercepted because the camera is focusing on a 49er defensive back but no it's actually a deep go route he's trying to go for. The of course the announcer starts talking about how people think Jack Snow (the receiver who caught it) is too slow (lmao). (it's around 17:22 in the video below)

Meanwhile the coach of the Rams, Tommy Prothro, is just smoking like crazy on the sidelines. Anytime they cut to him there's a long skinny cigarette in his mouth. He would be fired after the season.

And the refs.. they're just letting people line up in the neutral zone.. maybe that wasn't a rule back then yet but some plays the defensive tackle's hand on the ground goes past where the football is and his helmet goes passed the helmet of the center. Another play the refs just miss a blatant offside call against a 49ers (they later call a similar one against the rams, so they just missed this one).

The game has changed.

Funniest play (time marker 14:58) (if you watch to 15:44, this is the play where the QB misses an easy swing pass)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtJ1FLwFdOs&t=897s

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Leperflesh posted:

I think receivers weren't allowed to wear gloves until some time in the late 80s or early 90s, and they make a huge difference in catching rates. Especially when the ball is wet or cold or both.

Back in the 70s I don't think they had instant replay yet, either. Refs called what they saw, and that was that.

oh yeah for sure but this was a pretty obvious encroachment call or neutral zone infraction, if they had that. it's at around 20:39 in the video i linked. like i assume that maybe they just didn't call that back then but the rams get called for something similar later on.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Coldforge posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a more obvious case of roid rage than DK Metcalf

Eh. Warner kinda instigated it.

But also LOL at Lenoir getting kicked out but basically didn't even move Metcalf at all with his shove. Both Metcalf and Warner are huge dudes.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

apparently deebo samuel is the first wide receiver to get a rushing and receiving TD in back-to-back games... that's kinda wild that it's never happened before...

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

Please explain this chart to me because apparently I am too stupid to understand what it represents. :(

if two teams have had the same amount of rest between games, the rest edge is "0" and nothing is shown here.

what this chart shows is how much more rest each team's opponent got vs them (negative value) or how much more rest that team got over their opponent (positive value)

if you go to the extreme, SF has had one game where their "rest edge" was -8, which was against the bengals, the bengals were coming off a bye week, and the 49ers played MNF the week before. so the bengals had 8 extra days to rest up than the 49ers before they met. the graph is showing that the 49ers are playing lots of teams coming off bye weeks. and only have 2 games where they had a rest advantage, and again considering most of the time you have a bye you get +7 rest against your opponent, the 49ers only have 2 +3 rest days, which means even on their bye weeks they don't get a full weeks worth of extra rest.

+3 days is usually something like the 49ers played a monday game, their opponent plays a thursday game, so they got 3 extra days of rest before the following sunday's game against them.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

DancingMachine posted:

Re: Solak - I find his videos to be entertaining and informative. But I don't watch a ton of deep analysis football stuff so I am totally open to the possibility that he is actually bad. What are some recommendations for better but still accessible high quality breakdown analysis that isn't team-aligned?

I like this line of reasoning, but I'd still take CJ Stroud over Purdy for that metric.

The way I think about MVP is more "how much does this person contribute to the team's success compared to a replacement level player at their position". Or another way, how much would they get in free agency if the were unrestricted tomorrow (for 1 year let's say, set age side). Purdy is probably not even top 10 on this scale.

To contradict myself though, I'd be happy to CMC get the award and he isn't really top 10 there either.
I'm not sure what you mean top 10.. If every single QB was released tomorrow and everyone had to resign contracts... I mean, Mahomes, Josh Allen, Lamar Jackson.. maybe those 3 go ahead of Purdy in desireability.. but at worst Brock Purdy would be taken #4/#5 because maybe someone prefers to get eliminated via INT in the playoffs so they'll pick Dak Prescott.

It is pretty amazing that not only is Purdy playing at a high level right now, he's still doing it in his 2nd season (albeit, first full season). Most of the time QBs who do well their first year get solved and by this time defenses know what to do to knock young QBs off their game. People have tried blitzing, disguising coverages, forcing him to just throw underneath,... nothing has bothered him. Arguably he could completely regress within a year, but what's even scarier is if he is the real deal, this isn't even him at his best.
-------

I really like Brett Kollmann, his analysis is deep but pretty entertaining parts.
The ones I enjoyed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vf9rML5A1X8

older ones:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eApPD1Os4Tg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3s7SrXaDnU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

49ers defense hasn't played too well. besides giving up that TD run, they also allowed that 4th down conversion, before that 3 49ers got juked on a dump play and then before that some of the corners missed an open field tackle to give the cardinals a first down. cardinals also have over 200+ rushing yards against the 49ers, most this season.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

Missing two kinda extremely important run stoppers.

Mustached Demon posted:

Not unexpected with the juicy run stoppers on the line out.

the run yard total might be excusable but they were missing tackles, including that run by demercado where ji'ayir brown cheated too far down and 3 49ers missed tackles.. those aren't really issues with missing players.
they're going to be in trouble against the ravens if they do that against them.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

i didn't watch the game but david lombardi said pete carroll called a timeout on that play where lock's knee was down before he threw it and that gave the eagles time to watch the replay and challenge the call.

lmao.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

I hope Frank Gore lives a long life without complications because I can't imagine his entire body not aching every morning.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

49ers. :smdh:

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Doesn't look like Washington's gonna surprise anyone..

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Strong Sauce posted:

Doesn't look like Washington's gonna surprise anyone..

Maybe I spoke too soon.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

cardinal touchdown.. that offside kick to only let the eagles get a field goal so you have enough time to get a touchdown was brilliant.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Papercut posted:

This is literally what their strategy was after the 3 game losing streak lol, the only reason his name hasn't been in the conversation is because all their games were blowouts

Eh, the two he missed this past game were the first PAT he's missed and the first one he's missed within, what, 40 yards, this season. He's fine.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Recency Bias is what I'm saying.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Papercut posted:

They lost the Cleveland game because he missed a 41 yarder, what are you talking about. He also missed one in the 40-49yd range *indoors* against Minnesota. Missing 50+ yarders is whatever but missing 30-50 yarders is not fine.

The one he missed on Sunday was the first one he missed under 40 yards. Also his first PAT miss. That's what I'm talking about?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Papercut posted:

Using under 40 yards as a cut off makes no sense when you're talking about the quality of a kicker, especially when we're talking about him missing those kicks lol

My guy, all I was saying was he hadn't missed a PAT or a FG under 40. And also people are overreacting to a small sample size.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

i'm not sure why you guys think a linebacker, let alone the middle linebacker leading their team in tackles is some kind of flaw in the defense. the defensive line are the ones who are usually immediately blocked on a run and they aren't exactly making tackles in coverage. the people who are close enough during a run and actually go out in coverage when it's a pass are surprise: linebackers.

all 4 teams in the nfc west have linebackers who lead their team in tackles. three of them are their teams middle linebackers, and the last team, the rams, play a 3-4 in which one of their inside linebackers is their lead tackler.

tackles by themselves don't say much about how good your defense is. it certainly isn't bad that you're middle linebacker leads your team in tackles though... that's a big part of their job.

also safeties getting tackles... again not really a flaw in your defense considering you need a safety to play 8 in a box and they also have to make tackles in coverage. your lead tackler doesn't mean anything overall.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

lmao cowboys.

edit: 3 slants
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnyMQX0951E

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 15, 2024

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

https://twitter.com/JoePompliano/status/1746540835347292613

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

god drat did the 49ers really destroy the eagles..

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

i know i'm maybe a day late (was flying) and maybe not the exact thread for this, but watching the "highlights" of that tampa bay / philadelphia game.. the only conclusion i can come to is whatever they're paying AJ Brown is not enough because apparently he was the only thing getting other receivers open and covering up a lot of the holes in their defense. like i don't even know if his contract is up but the next time he's negotiating his contract he should just show this entire game as evidence of his worth.

also that jalen hurts safety was inexcusable.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

The narrative better be Brock Purdy led a game winning 71 yard td drive. Because that’s what happened

Edit also very annoying to be on vacation and your only video access is… twitter videos that can never fully load

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

watching the first (i think) PI by thomas.. still committed the PI but he kinda got hung out to dry since he was suppose to have safety help but the safety cheated into the middle because two receivers were crossing in front of him.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Look at all you losers sweating this. Never doubted for a moment :cool:

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Were foerrester and wilks still interviewing HC positions this past week?

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

I was watching the game highlights. Seems like a lot of the big runs were pulled off because the defense didn’t hold their gaps.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

did aaron rodgers ever admit to being a moron now that the chiefs and 49ers are in the superbowl and thus ruined that stupid conspiracy about the logo of the superbowl matching up with the teams who are in it? no? okay.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Coldforge posted:

Lmao of course they have

That is honestly an incredible sentence they put onto (virtual) paper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

bonds, clemens, and anyone else who's taken roids should never be in the hof.