Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
how is Shanahan so awful at QB evaluation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Papercut posted:

Like half the QBs taken top-10 in the last decade have been busts so it seems like not just a Kyle problem

his first choice was Kirk Cousins, his backup option was Jimmy Garoppolo, then he trades a boat to pick Trey Lance who is ultimately outperformed by Brock Purdy, and this offseason is comparing Sam Darnold to Steve Young and giving him backup snaps over Lance. he's been bad at it for years

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Papercut posted:

Cousins and Garoppolo are totally fine QBs though.

lol ok

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

it remains to be seen whether Lance is a Josh Rosen level of bust, or if he'll wind up developing into a QB that will have a backup job, somewhere in the NFL.

he might even wind up being a Sam Darnold level bust (I don't actually think it's fair to compare him to either because of the injuries)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Dutchy posted:

What makes Lance weirder is that even when he was drafted I remember people saying it'd probably take a few years for him to get it together. So I'm not really down on him because he's kinda sucked, because everyone expected him to kinda suck at first, but it's up in the air whether all the missed time means either he's lost a crucial period of development that you just can't recover from or if a change of scenery & more consistent playing time would allow him to figure out the things he should've been figuring out the last couple of years.

I can still imagine a world where out of nowhere 27 year old Trey Lance is pretty good, but I think it'd require the kinda Steve Young path Shanahan was suggesting for Darnold

there are more examples of guys developing in their mid-late 20s than Steve Young, even if we only look at the 49ers. if he tops out at Harbaugh/Reid-era Alex Smith after a similarly long, bumpy start to his career, I think most teams would be happy with that, and it seems achievable. probably needs a change of scenery though cause Shanahan clearly has a type and I never really saw how Lance fit into it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

EmbryoSteve posted:

When you're not paying a qb it makes a lot of sense if he's that good actually

yeah that deal will be much more reasonable when it's time to extend Purdy or <pick>. if you don't have a QB yet you're free to reset the market at a position or two while you look

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Forrest on Fire posted:

The Giants made one adjustment and the Cardinals stopped playing the defensive sets that worked in the first, their offense completely stopped moving because Dobbs was more or less figured out, and they sold out to stop the run

I knew at halftime, up 20, they'd blow it. I then watched the second half genuinely laughing my rear end off at this team. Gannon is either genuinely a genius that will last a second year and can completely blow this year or (this is much more likely) completely incapable of handling a second half adjustment

as someone who was told to stop complaining about the Eagles' second half performances last season: lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Cognac McCarthy posted:

I also knew the Niners were going to lose when Brock threw the second pick.

I was still skeptical because it meant Cousins had to handle one more snap

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

he probably won't be in Shanahan's offense. we'll find out

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

A new rivalry at last.

much like the bay's rivalry with LA it's entirely one-sided

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

one of my favorite players to watch week to week. he's so fuckin good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

seiferguy posted:

How hard is it these days to VPN around mlb.tv? I know they've gotten better but I get that through my tmo account, and it'd sure be nice to switch that.

I've tried with the two most recommended ones from spring training (surfshark and nord) on mobile as well as laptop and neither got the job done in the first week of the season. so I stopped trying and I’m still pissed off over it. maybe I should try again to see if they work now