Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

mllaneza posted:

Between two passes that should have been intercepted and the glacial decision making, we really should have traded Trey in the preseason.

To who? All of the reporting was that nobody was interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

DancingMachine posted:

Paying 15% of the cap to a DE is definitely a choice you can make.

Better to follow the Seahawks strategy of having no defensive ends worth paying and instead spending multiple first round picks on a Safety to blitz instead.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Papercut posted:

I still can't believe the Niners were able to trade for CMC, he's ridiculous

The league in general is really stupid about undervaluing top tier running backs. At the time a lot of people thought the 49ers were stupid for making the trade.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

trilljester posted:

It's because of his injury history. That's what all the hot takes were when he got traded.

Running backs get injured. That’s one of the reasons everyone says you shouldn’t pay them.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Play posted:

laughing so hard right now. honestly the best thing that could've happened with that game, getting embarrassed by the supposed worst team in the league.

Cowboys have a really good team but they kind of need to face the fact that Dak sucks rear end.

McCarthy sucks rear end as a coach and Moore was covering for him. Hilarious that McCarthy basically ran him off because he was mad that Moore was getting credit for the offense.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Hot take: despite appearing to be be a clown for the entire offseason Gannon seems like he might actually be a decent coach.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Carroll is a good coach. I don’t think the Seahawks are going to be any better than a Wild Card team with him at this point, but it’s pretty unlikely that they find anyone better and he’s old enough that he will probably retire on his own in a few years. Might as well just ride it out.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

It's unrealistic to expect superbowl runs. Like, they're incredibly rare, even for extremely good coaches. You can expect to make the playoffs regularly with a really good coach and GM putting together a good team, and guys like pete caroll and mike tomlin do that year after year after year for very long stretches and IMO that's the best you can really demand from your team. Getting a combo like bill bellichek + tom brady or andy reid + patrick mahomes for a decade is just incredible luck, something you can't plan for and is unrealistic to even hope for.

If you fire your pete carolls of the world because your routine playoff runs just don't go deep enough, you are far more likely to wind up regressing than finding the magic combo.

e. like I get the frustration, it's very human and normal, I just will kind of lol a lot if they actually fired pete caroll and then wound up with a situation resembling the last 30 years of cleveland browns football

Devils advocate here because I just said Carroll is a good coach but he and Tomlin seem to both ne in that “post franchise QB zone” there they’re putting out 7-9 wins seasons and maybe squeaking into the playoffs due to an expanded field where they promptly get bounced in the wild card.

They’re good coaches putting together decent teams but for the last few years neither team has looked capable of going on a deep playoff run. The NFC is so dogshit right now that making the playoffs at all should be the minimum expected of a coach.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Papercut posted:

I mean Russ fell off a cliff the moment he wasn't on a Carroll team and I don't think you can entirely attribute that to physical decline

He was running hot and cold for a few years before that and his WR group in Denver is a big step down. I think he was obviously declining even in Seattle and the combination of going to a team with horrible coaching and middling talent, physical decline, and his struggles playing in structure made it look like he just hit the wall all at once.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

MakaVillian posted:

Imagine telling your past self that Russell Wilson would lose a fumble in the last 30 seconds of a game and seal a defeat.

He’s anti-clutch now.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Papercut posted:

I think the biggest difference is Purdy is a dramatically better QB than they've had in the last couple decades

I don’t think he’s “dramatically” better than Alex Smith or prime Kaepernick or Jimmy G. He is very good at doing what Shanahan wants from a QB and he’s got some amazing weapons. He’s a good player but a great fit for the system he’s playing in.

But currently the 49ers look amazing because they aren’t all dead. Shanahan has always has pretty good teams when key guys were healthy, that just only happens every other year.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Papercut posted:

Jimmy G had basically the same weapons last season and looked nowhere near as good. Even besides his reads/progressions (which are lightyears ahead of Jimmy), he makes throws all over the field that Jimmy never could, or at least never did.

They were statistically very close last year and Purdy had the benefit of having Mcaffery the entire time. I agree that he’s better than Jimmy but he’s also benefitting a lot from a really good system in the same way Matt Ryan did while Shanahan was there. I think “dramatically” is a stretch, at least at this point. He’s still young and has plenty of time to prove he can do it without an all star supporting cast.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

hifi posted:

Is everybody but the fuckin rams going to lose today

SAME

OLD

SORRY

rear end

EVERYBODY ELSE

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Benne posted:

Here's the thing: they are rebuilding, this is an extremely young roster. We just don't call it that because:

a) they're playing an unsexy journeyman QB, who is not under a long-term deal anyway and there's plenty of draft capital whenever they're ready to move on from Geno
b) they're winning games and growing together, which is what an actual rebuild is supposed to look like, not sucking poo poo for years on end while the GM pretends it's some master plan when he's really trying to save his job.

I agree with the general sentiment that “tear it down to the studs” rebuilds are generally stupid and just get you in a cycle of doing that every three or four years. But the Seahawks don’t have a long term answer at either QB or coach and they’re not currently elite so it does feel a bit like treading water because the next regime is surely going to want to bring in their guys in a lot of spots. It’s a very Pete Carroll roster and likely doesn’t work as well with not-Pete Carroll running the team and Pete Carroll is old as hell.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Benne posted:

You're not wrong, but I dunno, guess I'll worry about that in 2025? Not sure what we're supposed to do with this information right now, other than hope they keep winning.

There’s worse thing to be than a solid but not top tier team. They aren’t miserable to which at least, and a lot of teams this year sure are. But I can understand some fans being frustrated.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Shindragon posted:

I wouldn’t be a good host if i didnt. Also if i recall most qbs who go into concussion protocol do not tend to play that week

Pickett did it last year but there is a certain amount of time built into the process so it’s not common.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Yeah. It's rare that they look like they are going to lose this early. Last two weeks they looked like they were going to win for most of the games. Even when trailing they looked better. But today they look like rear end about to get blown out.

Hopefully Shanahan and Lynch fire Wilks after this. Season is pretty much over at this point but at least they might be able to salvage something.

It’s 14-7 in the first half. This is Kawalimus level doomposting.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

if everyone on the cards is trying their hardest and they still only win one or two games all season, doesn't that suggest that getting the first overall pick mayyyy not be enough to turn them into a competitive team?

Like that's always the cloud around which the silver lining of top pick is wrapped. Lots and lots of bad teams have stayed bad after drafting first overall.

They’re in a multi-year rebuild, being a playoff team next year probably isn’t in the Cards (ha) and that’s fine, as long as they’re improving and have a long term answer at QB.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Williams contract ends this year so whether or not that’s a good trade will depend to a degree on what they end up having to pay him.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Black Lighter posted:

I think this is why Sherman gets in first ballot. That squad was so iconic that you have to acknowledge it in some way, and he's the biggest name of the three.

Sherman’s an NFL media personality now, he’s 100% getting in.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

I just recalled the time Earl flipped off the seahawks - his own team - when he was getting carted off the filed for a broken leg. Crazy people do poo poo like that.

He was pissed because he was on the last year of his contract and the Seahawks didn’t want to extend him or trade him to someone who would and then he had a season ending injury.

It was pretty understandable at the time.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Lifespan posted:

Seahawks/Rams was an absolute loving clown show. 222 yards of penalties and it was mostly on bullshit calls. People hated the ability to review PI calls because it messes with the flow, but it is such a huge penalty they really need to bring it back. The Cupp PI was total poo poo and the Witherspoon PI that gave the Rams the game was total poo poo.

It wouldn’t matter because the refs refused to change their rulings out of spite at having their judgement questioned. They only overturned 13 out of 81 calls the one season it was allowed.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Hire an additional ref to sit in a booth and look at monitor. They have a button to hit if they see an uncalled flag, and every flat that is called, they get 30 seconds to review and see if it is wrong. It wouldn't be perfect but it would be so much better.

The PI reviews were done the remote review crews, not the on the field refs, and they almost never overruled the crew on the field because they’re all part of the same union and attend the same training and know each other and none of them like their decisions being challenged.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Ornery and Hornery posted:

13 out of 81 is better than the current situation of 0 out of 81.

It didn’t make the process any less arbitrary it simply slowed the game down and made it even more obvious that the refs don’t give a poo poo about getting it right, they just like the authority.

There’s some good examples here, but you can find many threads and articles about how nonsensical it was:

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nfl/2019/11/19/20970010/nfl-pass-interference-replay-reviews-challenges-deandre-hopkins

I don’t know what the final tally ended up being but through week 9 of that season they hadn’t reversed a single call where defensive PI was called on the field.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/through-nine-weeks-replay-review-overturns-pi-calls-and-non-calls-nine-times

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Relentlessboredomm posted:

With how well they’re playing idk that they even get the 5th pick. They might be closer to 10

They’ve got a first from the Texans as well so they could move up to take a QB. Chicago might be willing to trade back with one of their early picks. That said they’d be way better off using those picks to put some talent around Murray.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

THIS_IS_FINE posted:

I don't think keeping a (currently) mediocre coach because the next hire might be worse is necessarily the right move.

Irrespective of whether it’s time to move on from Pete even in his current form he’s better than mediocre. He’s a good coach but no longer top tier.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Even if we assume he’s a good coach, which I think is a stretch of an argument in 2023, he’s a poo poo de facto gm.

Getting a team to the playoffs consistently is really hard. There’s like a dozen people who can do that and if your coach is one then they’re pretty good. There’s just another tier of truly elite coaches who make the merely good ones look pretty bad by comparison.

I also think calling Pete the de facto GM isn’t really true. It’s not a Belichick situation, Schneider is very involved and I don’t think he’s a hostage to Pete’s whims, I think he’s doing what he wants.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Pete is the executive vice president and has final control over personnel decisions. He’s the de facto gm.

Pretty much every established coach in the league has finally control over personnel decisions. That’s not the same as being the GM.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

DancingMachine posted:

Given the ownership situation being in transition, I think the only realistic option would be to gently recommend to Pete that he retire, and to hand over the keys to the kingdom to Schneider. Let him hire a coach and find out what he has learned in the last decade.
It's not like the ownership trust can evaluate and hire a good coach and GM starting over from scratch.

They could hire someone to run a search.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Black Lighter posted:

How much of that is pure scheme, though? Like, Purdy throwing it to a designated spot because the play is drawn up for the specific purpose of putting that receiver in position to get instant YAC?

It is a scheme thing but there’s still a lot to be said for a QB who can get the ball out at the right time to the exact right spot on the field for his receiver to catch it in stride. There’s surely also options on routes so Brock has to quickly read leverage to determine which route option the WR is going to take and then throw to the right spot all with tight timing. It’s a different skill set than say Josh Allen winning with absurd arm talent but it’s still a top tier skill set to have. I guess the big thing is the receivers need to super precise for it to work out so well. The 49ers offense is just absurdly well coached.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Papercut posted:

My problem with this sort of rebuttal is that it seems to ignore that making those reads and executing the throws *is* a huge part of the challenge of playing QB. Like if you watch JT O'Sullivan's breakdown of Jalen Hurts in the SF game, he had a half dozen to dozen wide open plays like this sitting there for him, and either wouldn't or couldn't make them. Purdy being able to read pre- and post-snap defenses and make these throws is itself incredibly valuable.

Yea, it’s valuable, but if you want to argue that he’s the MvP you’ve got to show that Purdy is doing a meaningfully better job than other top QBs of identifying those defensive mistakes and capitalizing and that it’s not just a function of the 49ers scheme itself creating so much havoc in defenses that there’s often an easy completion for big yardage.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Papercut posted:

I don't think you do because that standard has just been invented this year as a way to discredit what he's doing. The typical MVP standard is "scoreboard."

The top three MVP favorites all have the same record so it sounds like the typical MVP standard is in fact what they’re using right now, they just don’t think Brock is the best of the bunch.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

MakaVillian posted:

But we've already seen a mediocre QB run this Shanahan offence for the past several years, and while it was (usually) good with Jimmy, with Purdy it's been league best. It can't JUST be Shanahan's scheme that is doing the heavy lifting this year.

Edit: I don't necessarily think Purdy will win the MVP, but he has to be a big part of the conversation

I don’t think Brock is mediocre. He’s good. In the video that prompted this Solak says he thinks Brock is good. The question is whether he’s the best QB in the league or a good QB who is putting up best-in-league numbers because he’s got a great coach and supporting cast.

It wouldn’t be a travesty for him to win MVP, he’s got as good an argument as any of the other realistic choices. But I don’t *really* think he’s a better or more valuable player than Mahomes or Lamar.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Papercut posted:

It's still funny that the most lauded QB draft since Luck yielded TLaw, who looks pretty good but not franchise-defining, and then Justin Fields, Zach Wilson, Trey Lance, and Mac Jones. They were all supposed to be basically can't-miss prospects lol.

This is pretty revisionist. Trevor was viewed as the only real can’t miss prospect, the others guys were viewed as good prospects but still with plenty of risk which is why you say so much movement across mock drafts outside of pick 1.

Mac was viewed as a relatively unathletic and perhaps a product of really good WRs and a good system.

Fields got the “can’t process” label.

Lance was considered a high risk/high reward pick.

Wilson was generally pretty well regarded but he was still questioned for being a one season wonder on a non-P5 team who was mostly throwing to wide open guys.

It was definitely considered one of the strongest classes in a while but that was because there were so many credible prospects, not because all of those prospects were considered can’t miss.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Coldforge posted:

Is this right? I remember the talk being more along the lines of "he's already peaked" and "has possible health issues."

Yea, it is. There was a narrative that he was a 1-read QB and that he held the ball too long.

https://www.theringer.com/platform/amp/2021/4/14/22383093/justin-fields-draft-stock-narratives-pro-day

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2021/apr/09/justin-fields-draft-nfl-football-ohio-state-quarterback

Stroud got the same knocks about holding the ball too long and processing slowly which if you were a very smart draft person might indicate that what you’re actually seeing is a feature of the OSU offense, but alas many very smart draft people are very stupid.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

DariusLikewise posted:

I was thinking McVay could drag this team to at least six to seven wins overall. 7-7 with 3 weeks left controlling their own playoff destiny seems like a pipe dream. The most surprising part is how well they’ve played against top teams and how well their late round rookies are playing.

McVay is a really good coach and Stafford is still a pretty good QB when healthy which is why I always thought the “Rams selling out win a Super Bowl has doomed them” takes were dumb. If you’ve got a good coach and a good QB you’re never far from being a legit contender.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Shindragon posted:

I'm kinda chuckling there is a possible scenario three NFC West teams will be in the playoffs.

Goddamn NFC South is poo poo.

Which is going to make it even funnier when when on those NFC West teams goes into Tampa and loses on wild card weekend.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

Purdy's gonna lose the MVP contest on tonight's interceptions

Well, and the fact that Lamar is putting on a clinic against what is supposed to be a really good defense.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

DancingMachine posted:

On one hand I agree with you - the Niners are a very good team and showed some good defensive stops and long offensive drives that demonstrate they can hang with the Ravens. If the teams meet again in the Superbowl I would consider the outcome very much in doubt.

On the other hand, I think the luck mostly evened out in this game. It's easy to forget in the first quarter the Niners were effectively gifted two turnovers with tripping over the ref in the end zone and an egregiously ticky-tack defensive holding penalty away from the ball on third down.

The tipped balls (and I think it was only two tips and one where Purdy’s arm got hit) were also all tipped by defenders, it’s not like the bad lucks plays where a WR just whiffs and knocks it into coverage. In one case Purdy through it straight into an advancing defender and in the other he threw to a guy who was well covered. The defense created those plays even if they also benefited from a little luck on the ricochets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

Yaaaassssss!!

Niners can rest Trent next week. Anyone banged up cannister. Essentially a 2 week bye. And they can probably still win next week.

Wonder if they come out flat in the playoffs.