Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Dutchy posted:

My cope of choice is that I'm glad his first real bad game was mostly erratic throws when he's generally very accurate, instead of freaking out and making a million terrible decisions.

Mine is that the game might damage Watson’s stock. The loss was frustrating but if it helps push him out of the league I’ll take it. If this isn’t realistic don’t tell me la la la I can’t hear you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Mustached Demon posted:

Either RBs or OL!

This is fullback erasure

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
The 49ers have great personnel but Kyle Shanahan's 49ers traditionally don't come from behind to win so it's really weird to see it happen twice in a row.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Leperflesh posted:

I'm afraid that despite playing quite well, the kansas city chiefs must just be better at football right now, by a bit, and so they win

It's hosed up that the NFL allows this but it's the world we love it

Coldforge posted:

Some people watch highlights of the Lions game to see the crazy Purdy scrambles again. I watch them to see Deebo's reaction to a crazy Purdy scramble.

Deebo is an awful blocker even when the play is near him :mad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoogvD8_y5E

There was another play that game that's plausibly a touchdown if Deebo actually blocks the DB in front of him (I think it was a CMC run?)

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Coldforge posted:

If you can stomach watching it yet, OLine Committee does a great job breaking down the plays the 49ers offense failed on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkWzZSPbQYM

I think it's interesting to compare how e.g. JT O'Sullivan talks about quarterback-receiver disconnects and OLine guys talk about them.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Coldforge posted:

It was both. The video explains, and they also start out at the "Burford!" stage, but as they watch it more they get more upset at McKivitz.

Burford set up incorrectly, but then picks up the right guy. McKivitz goes wide for absolutely no reason, when the situation called for exactly the opposite (squeezing the gap), and misses his responsibility in the process. Complete failure by McKivitz, Burford at least does something.

I interpreted it oppositely: "The whole thing here is that the right guard screws it up, [and] the right tackle's not innocent at all." They start the segment by identifying the exact protection call and noting that Burford just does the complete wrong thing, and they never depart from that analysis. McKivitz blocked the wrong guy, but Burford blocked the wrong direction.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Coldforge posted:

On top of which I place more of the responsibility there on McKivitz, who's a 4th year player in the system, on his second contract and has been starting all season, than I do Burford who's a 2nd year player and a backup.

It was interesting hearing Boone (I think?) speculating that because Burford was a backup he might have just not been paying attention in the meetings where they planned all this stuff out.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
The QB School's analysis of Purdy in the SB went up a couple of days ago. It's an interesting contrast - in Purdy's "bad" games during the regular season he tended to look better on tape than he did live, but I think he looked worse on tape this time. (In particular, he looked way more jittery in the pocket than he usually does.)

e: Also, per usual: "I have so many problems with what 19 put on film I can't do it justice"

raminasi fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Feb 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I don't understand the game theory behind single-draft position trades. It seems like either the teams want the same player (so why trade down?) or they don't (so why trade up?) Do they only happen in a narrow band of strategic ambiguity? Or is it the kind of thing where the team trading down says "ok you can have the guy in exchange for a late-round pick?"